• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
zychi said:
bought it at release last sept, never even opened it. between school, work, console games, watching my sports teams, and just life in general, i never opened it. its been sitting in a cabinet getting dust. randomly read some of this thread and figured i'd give it a go before the big fall release.

Go go, but if you wait 1.19 you will find better, couse now you have physical levels who will be removed on next patch, time well i dont know. :p

More changes

They starting to use the In Development / Testing Forum.
The following changes are planned for release in 1.18a. All of these are still in development, and therefore subject to change.
The following adjustments will be made to the log in patch 1.18a.
The log will automatically be hidden at the following times:
during event cutscenes
while the main map is open
* The log will remain if a tab is active when a cutscene begins or the main map is opened.

Once hidden, the log will reappear at the following times:
an Open chat prompt command is input (Space bar, slash (/) key, Ctrl+S, etc.)
Configuration » Chat Log appears in the active log tab. (This does not apply when the active tab is the battle tab.)
* The log will be hidden after being inactive for a period of 5 seconds.

Default log settings will be changed to the following:
Two logs will be displayed. The second tab of the first log will be inactive, and the first tab of the second log will be active.
Log size will be adjusted.
Log transparency will be adjusted.
* The above settings are applied whenever the game is launched, or upon selecting the Restore Defaults option under Configuration » Chat Log.
* The above settings are not applied when saved log configuration data is present.

jiggle

they're removing physical level
but not the points distributions right?
i wonder how'll that work
does it mean ppl with lv50 but no r50 job will be nerfed :/

had the very first FFXI style pt earlier where i just stood back and cured/buffed
must say the game just didn't feel like it's designed for that, yet
the sp was pretty great though

Jinko

@ jiggle I image so, seems points will be split across levels (previous ranks) and work in much the same way.

It did always bug me that a rank 1 lvl 50 class would be so unbalanced, about time they fixed it.

Teknoman said:
Great stuff and informative all around...but whats with people recording footage at such a low volume?

Although I do wonder how he got fraps to record without killing the frame rate at certain spots.

What version of FRAPS are you using? They have been updating the client pretty frequently with a lot of optimizations for recording at higher resolutions. Depending on your system capabilities you might want to try setting your resolution to 720P and then record at that resolution instead of 1080. You could also try limiting the frame rate.

I haven't had any trouble recording at 1080 but I have never tried taking any footage in Uldah during peak hours either. >_<

meep!

Neo Member
Hola old amigos!

How do you like FF14 now with the new patch? Combat still sluggish and boring? Copy-pasta environments? Any chocobos? Endgame content? Still leveling class after class for no reason other than to fill lack of endgame?
Looking at videos it doesnt seem they added too much considering this game has been pretty much patchless since november.

Jinko

How do you like FF14 now with the new patch?

Is alright

Combat still sluggish and boring?

Seems about the same really, there is more time to think and have a strategy though.

Copy-pasta environments?

Still here.

Any chocobos?

Yes plenty, but you can't ride em :S

Endgame content?

Seems ok for their first content, obviously we have primals being added in 1.20 though which I think will be the proper end game content.

Still leveling class after class for no reason other than to fill lack of endgame?

Pretty much, but show me an mmo where this isn't the case.

Wolfwood0

Neo Member
So i was a huuuuuuge fan of FFXI and was super excited about this game. Played the beta and i wanted to like it but i just couldnt...

The new content has me intrigued. Should i just got out and buy the game and give it another try or wait a little longer? Or are there still buddy passes floating around somewhere?

BTW have they said anything about skillchains? I know they have something called regiments but they were pretty lame, skillchains where my favorite part about FFXI.

Hulud

My main class is Lancer and I chose Ul'Dah as my starting city. So is it impossible for me to do Lancers Guild missions since it is based out of Gridania which is the worst designed area in the entire game?

When I do find myself in that disgusting place and attempt to join or do quests for the Lancers Guild, they say they only allow Gridania citizens to join or something to that effect. Has Square really locked me out of that content or am I doing something wrong? I'm rank 18 atm, btw.

Hulud said:
My main class is Lancer and I chose Ul'Dah as my starting city. So is it impossible for me to do Lancers Guild missions since it is based out of Gridania which is the worst designed area in the entire game?

When I do find myself in that disgusting place and attempt to join or do quests for the Lancers Guild, they say they only allow Gridania citizens to join or something to that effect. Has Square really locked me out of that content or am I doing something wrong? I'm rank 18 atm, btw.

You need to be rank 20.

Wolfwood0 said:
So i was a huuuuuuge fan of FFXI and was super excited about this game. Played the beta and i wanted to like it but i just couldnt...

The new content has me intrigued. Should i just got out and buy the game and give it another try or wait a little longer? Or are there still buddy passes floating around somewhere?

BTW have they said anything about skillchains? I know they have something called regiments but they were pretty lame, skillchains where my favorite part about FFXI.

I would say wait a little longer. If you do not want to get soured on the game, patch 1.20 may be a good starting point by the looks of things.

jiggle

those look great
but how do the lotting work in these?
does the crate just distribute the thing to ppl randomly?
and you have to volunteer to send the item to someone else's loot box?

Buttons

Yeah loot goes randomly to people. We then ask them to give it to the appropriate person. It's been confirmed that a proper loot system is in the works though. ^_^

New blog post:
http://buttons-tarutaru.blogspot.com/2011/07/batraal-defeated.html

Posing with Serge.
ffxivgame2011-07-3000-v8pv.jpg

Posing with Klasher who just came back and Eldy who also got lucky with drops.
ffxivgame2011-07-3000-xjb8.jpg

jiggle

the campaign/besieged like thing in camp horizon is fun fun fun
encountered it by accident
don't even recall reading about it on update notes

Buttons said:
Yeah loot goes randomly to people. We then ask them to give it to the appropriate person. It's been confirmed that a proper loot system is in the works though. ^_^

yikes
remind me not to join shout groups
but then again by the time i'm actually r50 and can do this, it's hopefully fixed

edit: wow, u got 4+ drops in 1 win :O nerf hammer incoming

desa

jiggle said:
the campaign/besieged like thing in camp horizon is fun fun fun
encountered it by accident
don't even recall reading about it on update notes

yikes
remind me not to join shout groups
but then again by the time i'm actually r50 and can do this, it's hopefully fixed

edit: wow, u got 4+ drops in 1 win :O nerf hammer incoming

Yeah I think it's called cataclysm. Garlean Forces invading. I read the crystals you get from the chest after the battle can be exchanged for goodies.

Picture time.

Some easy quest boss.
CRJae.jpg

Dungeon Raid 25 Boss
WecoW.jpg

jiggle

desa said:
Yeah I think it's called cataclysm. Garlean Forces invading. I read the crystals you get from the chest after the battle can be exchanged for goodies.

what an bad word to search along with "XIV" :X

do you happen know how often it takes place?

edit: nvm, it's completely random
well that's just swell
considering how easy and free it is to get to and from the camps!

Hulud

Riposte said:
Hanningfield said:
You need to be rank 20.

Thanks for the responses! I wish they would just tell me when I'm too low level to do stuff. The NPCs made it sound an awful lot like I wouldn't be able to since I wasn't Gridania born. Oh well...excited to get started on that...just gotta level up 2 more times.

ZiZ

Hulud said:
Thanks for the responses! I wish they would just tell me when I'm too low level to do stuff. The NPCs made it sound an awful lot like I wouldn't be able to since I wasn't Gridania born. Oh well...excited to get started on that...just gotta level up 2 more times.

yeah, them Black Shroudians can be pretty racist.

Teknoman

jiggle said:
what an bad word to search along with "XIV" :X

do you happen know how often it takes place?

edit: nvm, it's completely random
well that's just swell
considering how easy and free it is to get to and from the camps!

Its supposed to be kinda a surprise event thing, like the silent heavy rain in Thanalan, and the arcanist guy showing up shouting about doom.

I've noticed some weird stationary floating machines in the air too. Not the normal airships we always see either...

Moobabe

The game is in transit - a couple of quick question:

Is there a GAF server? How many people are active? Is it worth making a disciple of the land straight away? I made a fisherman last time and felt like I was missing out on a lot of things - is there any benefit one way or another? What's the best starting area? Or does it correspond to which class you make?

I'm going to try and not rush the game. I enjoyed the sedate pace of it compared to WoW or Guild Wars and I figure if I work my way through slowly I won't expose the lack of content that quickly.

Eccocid

Moobabe said:
The game is in transit - a couple of quick question:

Is there a GAF server? How many people are active? Is it worth making a disciple of the land straight away? I made a fisherman last time and felt like I was missing out on a lot of things - is there any benefit one way or another? What's the best starting area? Or does it correspond to which class you make?

I'm going to try and not rush the game. I enjoyed the sedate pace of it compared to WoW or Guild Wars and I figure if I work my way through slowly I won't expose the lack of content that quickly.

GAF Linkshell is at Lidbulm server, most of the people pick Uldah as starting city which is the most crowded city right now. You can pick any class anytime so you dont miss anything. Just change your equipment and you can turn in to a blacksmith or a alchemist, so you can try all of them as much as you want.

Ken

Tried installing the game yesterday but I think my DVD drive is busted. Whenever I put the disc in and click DVD Drive in My Computer, it just tells me to "Insert Disc" and ejects the disc tray.

:(

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Munba said:
This is an old post never translated (i think) about 'npc life' i think but dunno for sure,
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/6486-ノンプレイヤーキャラクターに人の魅力を?p=83115&viewfull=1#post83115

Renta, can you translate please? :0
OP is just talking about the lifelessness of the NPCs and how they're always in the same place at all hours of the day and they don't do anything or go anywhere.

Dev response: Yoshida agrees it's lame, and we'll try to do something about it.

Riposte

Seems like a waste of resources, but I always love games with Assassin's Creed style crowds lol. (Would just be annoying in Ul'dah)

jiggle

Riposte said:
Seems like a waste of resources

a waste AND a stupid idea

bad enough with XI's stores when they closed after certain hours/days

what a nightmare it'd be to waste time running around looking for wandering NPCs
or have to memorize their hourly/daily/weekly schedule
or have to constantly check wiki to find who is where

Hulud

A few months ago I thought this game was unsalvageable but patch 1.18 proves that there is still hope. Once Jobs and chocobos are in the game, I could see myself becoming addicted just like I was with FFXI. They should really do something to make Levequests more interesting, though. You spend way too much time staring at the same scenery/listening to the same music while leveling, I think.

The single most impressive thing about the past few patches to me is the improvement Squenix has made to the responsiveness of the UI. You no longer have to wait a few moments after clicking on something to get to the next screen.

I also really like all of the cool ways they are hinting about the Garlean invasion. The way the storyline is presented is better than most other MMOs.

Munba

Seems like a waste of resources,

jiggle said:
a waste AND a stupid idea

bad enough with XI's stores when they closed after certain hours/days

what a nightmare it'd be to waste time running around looking for wandering NPCs
or have to memorize their hourly/daily/weekly schedule
or have to constantly check wiki to find who is where

I don't think it's a waste of time or stupid idea because the cities in tha actual state are DEAD. They seems a sort of 'scenography' that represents a city with some immobile npcs and only shops around. Cities NEED some life. Children playing in plazas, merchants walking, city guards roaming, sailors brings boxes on the piers and so on (exactly like in the intro cut-scene of Limsa). And i just don't think they'll put shop open/closed hours like in 11.

So as they should put some private houses (where the citizens live?!), with some quests inside too (uldah has a plethora of closed doors). Damn also FF11 had them..

Jinko

LittleTokyo said:
Am I crazy or is THM totally overpowered? I'm waltzing through my battle leves with the greatest of ease just soloing.

Leves are easy for everyone pretty much.

They could have NPc's walk within a radius of the ! icon, they don't have to go to sleep and shit just wonder around, talk to other NPC's and be more active.

Anno

So what is it I've read about normal jobs coming at some point? I'm just about to begin playing and honestly I like the idea of switching jobs with weapons rather than even the FFXII job/subjob system. Anyone have clarification on that or am I just reading Internet crazy talk?

I hate the idea of moving NPCs and shops opening/closing. It made FFXI more annoying that it had to be. That said, I think the playable characters are suppose to make the towns feel "alive." And clearly the NPCs live on the streets, as there are no homes in the game from what I can tell.

suzu

So how active is the population & guild on the server Gaffers are playing on? I'm wondering if I should pick up the game now or wait until the next patch (whenever that is?). Last time I played was in beta. lol.

Moobabe

suzu said:
So how active is the population & guild on the server Gaffers are playing on? I'm wondering if I should pick up the game now or wait until the next patch (whenever that is?). Last time I played was in beta. lol.

Me and two other friends are all starting this week if you want some people to play with! I haven't played since the beta either and I'm going to take this slow. Bit of fishing here and there, listen to the music, admire the scenery etc Can't wait.

Jinko

suzu said:

You should probably come back now, you would probably have a lvl 50 job ready by the time 1.20 comes out, hopefully they will have more content and some high level boss fights. (primal battles)

I am surprised they didn't figure out that 7/14-days trial can actually help in bringing new players in. Trials for MMO should me mandatory.

Is this game still F2P? Any word on when this can end? I can get this for approx. 7 EUR, tempted.

Moobabe

Castor Krieg said:
I am surprised they didn't figure out that 7/14-days trial can actually help in bringing new players in. Trials for MMO should me mandatory.

Is this game still F2P? Any word on when this can end? I can get this for approx. 7 EUR, tempted.

Jump in! I picked it up for £5 and it should, fingers crossed, be here tomorrow!

Anno

So I hopped on for the first time a few hours ago. Played through the opening scene for Limsa Lominsa, followed the story out into the field, attacked a Dodo without looking at its level and got 2-shotted. Awesome (and I'm not being sarcastic - that was great). Played a few hours more just running around exploring the town trying to decide what craft and gathering abilities to take up. The game is on the line between overwhelming and awe-inspiring in its variety.

Teknoman

Everyone new should come to Lindblum just because.

Also I have a level 15 Marauder that needs leveling.

Jinko needs more people during EU hours so theres that too :p

Teknoman

Jinko said:
Leves are easy for everyone pretty much.

They could have NPc's walk within a radius of the ! icon, they don't have to go to sleep and shit just wonder around, talk to other NPC's and be more active.

Yeah, just pull a... FFI-X and have the NPCs move in a small area. Its something they've always done, so since they are striving for a classic FF feel now, no reason they shouldnt in XIV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom