• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cmagus

Gvaz said:
So is this game F2P yet, and how much of a timesink is it compared to wow/how easy is it to get started?

Always been F2P and its like any MMO you'll hit 20 quick then it will take time after.

So I finally jumped on again last night and I like the new touches in some of the areas and I also like how you now get bonuses for completing leves fast I got a nice bonus after Desert Defilment on 5 star last night.Some of the weapon effects are now awesome as well bloodletter looks so cool when you fire it.

Combat hit me hard lol archer is certainly much tougher to play as now with all the cool down times I am not sure how I feel about it though I mean it kind of slows everything down knocking arrows takes like 20 seconds to knock full now where as before it was so fast.Also do archers punch now? because I found after shooting and having an enemy attack between cool down my character looked like he was punching at the enemy or throwing something.

I think I am gonna roll another class though.Haven't tried the dungeon stuff yet but I really want to I did all the pre-quests in Uldah for the one in Gridania though if anyone is on tonight and wants to run it let me know.

Teknoman

scotcheggz said:
Is that Amaljaa camp good sp? what size group/level range do you need for it? I've got a R37 ARC that is going nowhere fast on solo leves these days :(

It was ok, we were 31-36 light party size fighting raptors for high 300SP (cutting em down so fast that once chain bonuses are implemented, leveling will be a cinch). The Amaljaa camp was netting us 200-300SP a kill, but also drops for a quest, and it was cool to take down beast tribe parties.

More exp parties out than normal too, with people shouting for raid parties, so getting a party should be no problem. Would be easier with a better seek party system, but thats coming...so no use in mentioning that atm.

desa

Cmagus said:
Always been F2P and its like any MMO you'll hit 20 quick then it will take time after.

So I finally jumped on again last night and I like the new touches in some of the areas and I also like how you now get bonuses for completing leves fast I got a nice bonus after Desert Defilment on 5 star last night.Some of the weapon effects are now awesome as well bloodletter looks so cool when you fire it.

Combat hit me hard lol archer is certainly much tougher to play as now with all the cool down times I am not sure how I feel about it though I mean it kind of slows everything down knocking arrows takes like 20 seconds to knock full now where as before it was so fast.Also do archers punch now? because I found after shooting and having an enemy attack between cool down my character looked like he was punching at the enemy or throwing something.

I think I am gonna roll another class though.Haven't tried the dungeon stuff yet but I really want to I did all the pre-quests in Uldah for the one in Gridania though if anyone is on tonight and wants to run it let me know.

Archers are pretty damn powerful. It's like early FFXI all over with how people are using Archers to decimate everything. I smell adjustment lol. And yeah, they do punch if within melee range.

Eccocid

desa said:
Archers are pretty damn powerful. It's like early FFXI all over with how people are using Archers to decimate everything. I smell adjustment lol. And yeah, they do punch if within melee range.
So true. I have an archer at around level 20-25 and a pugilist at around 36. When i play in a SP grind party archer keeps getting all the hate and can give hard time to tanks. When i play with my pgl if there is a good tank in pt its very smooth i barely get any hate(which six too actually i can't use feather foot and counter attacks)

desa

Eccocid said:
So true. I have an archer at around level 20-25 and a pugilist at around 36. When i play in a SP grind party archer keeps getting all the hate and can give hard time to tanks. When i play with my pgl if there is a good tank in pt its very smooth i barely get any hate(which six too actually i can't use feather foot and counter attacks)

Yeah, I always find them tanking for the most part. I guess they can show restraint but grinding, you just wanna kill everything as quickly as possible. They can solo most party mobs.

Metalmurphy said:
What's the EURO GAF server? Or is this not region specific?

Eveyone from everywhere play on the same servers, we're playing on Lindblum and me and a few others in the LS are from eruoland so you'll have company. :p

Estival

I recently started playing this again, and kind of hit a wall in the early 20s. Every fight is potentially a close call. Is this about the level that you're supposed to start partying? What are the essential abilities to have set in a grind party as a conjurer? How do you even seek a party?

Kaper

Estival said:
I recently started playing this again, and kind of hit a wall in the early 20s. Every fight is potentially a close call. Is this about the level that you're supposed to start partying? What are the essential abilities to have set in a grind party as a conjurer? How do you even seek a party?

Yeah, you should start partying, and remember at level 25 you can start grinding the first instance [The Thousand Maws of Toto-Rak]. Refer to Teknoman's post with mob camp locations.

Just have both ranks of Cure, Protect, Shell, Stoneskin, and Shock Spikes and you'll be good to go in parties. The best way to seek parties right now is to shout for them in the most populated areas (presumably Ul'dah).

Estival

Kaper said:
Yeah, you should start partying, and remember at level 25 you can start grinding the first instance [The Thousand Maws of Toto-Rak]. Refer to Teknoman's post with mob camp locations.

Just have both ranks of Cure, Protect, Shell, Stoneskin, and Shock Spikes and you'll be good to go in parties. The best way to seek parties right now is to shout for them in the most populated areas (presumably Ul'dah).
Thanks, I appreciate the tips. I feel like I should be surprised they still don't have a better way of building a party implemented, but I'm not. Ah well.

Jinko

Estival said:
Thanks, I appreciate the tips. I feel like I should be surprised they still don't have a better way of building a party implemented, but I'm not. Ah well.

Its' coming supposedly, I can't really be arsed to play the game at the moment until they sort the party search features out.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
They're finally removing the blessings - somehow I hated that optional boost which you always turned on anyway.

Boo @ no news about making an actual animation for switching between active and passive while moving, so that character doesn't look like he/she's ice skating.

And home points at last!

Munba

Keiician said:
Boo @ no news about making an actual animation for switching between active and passive while moving, so that character doesn't look like he/she's ice skating.

That is already confirmed for 1.19 along with the other AA animations.

Cmagus

I don't know how I feel about this combat it's so slow and like mentioned above every fight is always a close call.It feels boring overall I'm not really doing anything when I fight also the targeting glow behind the action bar icons I can hardly see lol when out in uldah.

Eccocid

Well after 1.8 i started to play it less and less :(
All the camps are empty now and no one is interested on leves or linking them.
All i do is gather with others and grind sp! IT IS SUPER BORING! Grinding is not fun as in ffxi cuz there is no strategy or danger. We just kill raptors in iron lake over and over again.

I tried toto rak but with a level 34 character so it was pretty dull. Did it twice and killed both of the spider bosses(is the 3rd one a spider too).

To be honest doing elves with ppl were a little more fun than doing sp grinds.

Teknoman

Eccocid said:
Well after 1.8 i started to play it less and less :(
All the camps are empty now and no one is interested on leves or linking them.
All i do is gather with others and grind sp! IT IS SUPER BORING! Grinding is not fun as in ffxi cuz there is no strategy or danger. We just kill raptors in iron lake over and over again.

I tried toto rak but with a level 34 character so it was pretty dull. Did it twice and killed both of the spider bosses(is the 3rd one a spider too).

To be honest doing elves with ppl were a little more fun than doing sp grinds.

Bug people about leves, they just improved the SP gain again with 1.18a today. Also it's kinda like XI in that people only want to grind on the easiest/fastest monsters to die for your level, go try to beat up beast tribe camps, or some of those other spots listed maybe. In my last days of XI, people exped on the weakest enemies possible for that level (mostly colobri) and that got kinda boring as well since you could zone out...as long as you didnt use attack magic). As far as Toto-rak, yeah its less interesting if you're party is pretty strong/near-past the recommended ranks.

Give these a shot:

[33-39] Ixali Fencers @ Camp Emerald Moss Ixali Fortress (Light PT).
[33-39] Ixali Fencers @ Camp Glory Ixali Fortress (Light PT).
[34-39] Black Efts @ Camp Emerald Moss > Treespeak (Light PT).
[35-40] Dusty Mongrels @ Camp Bluefog (23,6) (Light PT).
[39-44] Mountain Peiste @ Camp Riversmeet (20,22) (Light PT).
[40-44] Goblin/Diremite/Vulture @ Camp Tranquil >Silent Arbor (42,43) (Full PT).

Cmagus said:
I don't know how I feel about this combat it's so slow and like mentioned above every fight is always a close call.It feels boring overall I'm not really doing anything when I fight also the targeting glow behind the action bar icons I can hardly see lol when out in uldah.

Todays patch notes should fix that. Dunno what class you were fighting as, but if its a DoW, do some throw weapon actions too. Just cycle around with normal non-TP actions and rotate through whatever important TP stuff you need (obvious, but still).

[patch1.18a] Patch 1.18a Notes

Events

[dev1010][dev1011] The following adjustments have been made to guildleves:

Skill point rewards have been increased for Disciple of War and Magic-specific regional and faction levequests, as well as behests. The increase will vary depending on the quests’ recommended class rank, with those recommended for class 20 seeing the biggest change.

Shield skill points are now awarded upon the completion of regional leves, faction leves, and behests.

The following adjustments have been made to several fieldcraft levequests:
Gathering point locations have been adjusted.
Enemy distribution near gathering points has been adjusted.

[dev1128] The following city guards now give information on Grand Companies:
Thata Khamazom (Limsa Lominsa)
Eldid (Gridania)
Kokobi (Ul’dah)

Battle
[dev1032] Potency of the following actions (when used as the indicated classes) has been increased:

Pugilist
Victimize
Concussive Blow
Haymaker
Seismic Shock
Follow Through
Simian Thrash

Marauder
Trunksplitter
Brutal Swing
Maim
Storm's Path

Lancer
Skewer
Moonrise
Feint
Doomspike
Chaos Thrust

To offset the implemented increase, these actions will now inflict less damage when used by classes other than those indicated above.

[dev1123] Action bar graphics have been enhanced to improve overall visibility.
* In addition, player and party unit frames have also been adjusted for the same reason.

System

[dev1102] Players can now designate any aetheryte or aetherial gate as their Return destination by selecting “Set home point” from the aetheryte menu.
* “Assess Guardian’s favor” has been removed from the aetheryte menu.
* While undertaking regional levequests and behests, the aetheryte where the quest was initiated will be temporarily set as a player’s home point. During instanced raids, players who use Return will be teleported to the raid area’s enterance.

[dev1114] The maximum number of retainers dispatchable into a single Ul’dah market area has been increased.

[dev1005] The following adjustments have been made to the log:
The log will automatically be hidden at the following times:
during event cutscenes
while the main map is open
* The log will remain if a tab is active when a cutscene begins or the main map is opened.

Once hidden, the log will reappear at the following times:
An open chat prompt command is input (Space bar, slash (/) key, Ctrl+S, etc.)
Configuration » Chat Log appears in the active log tab. (This does not apply when the active tab is the battle tab.)

* The log will be hidden after being inactive for a period of 10 seconds.
Default log settings have been changed to the following:

Two logs are now displayed, with the second tab of the first log being inactive, and the first tab of the second log being active.
Log size has been adjusted.
Log transparency has been adjusted.

* If a player’s pre-1.18a log settings are set to hide a second log window, those settings will be reset after updating the client, and must be set again.
[dev1124] A new slot option has been added to the /display text command.

/display main on – Display main hand arms and tools at all times.
/display main off – Hide main hand arms and tools while in passive mode.
Functionality

When set to off, the main hand arms and tools of all PCs in passive mode will be hidden.
/display settings made by you are visible on your computer only. For example, if your main hand display is set to off, your gear will still be visible to other players.
/display settings will reset upon logging out.

*For patch 1.19, we plan to enhance this feature to reflect your /display settings on all other player’s computers. Also, personal /display settings will be saved upon logging out.

[dev1125] A new emote has been added.

/pose

USAGE: /pose [subcommand]
 Strike a pose.

>>Subcommands:
motion Perform motion only.

Both text and motion will be displayed when no subcommand is specified.
* No motion will be performed while sitting.
* /pose has been added to the auto-translate dictionary under the Text Commands category.

[dev1126] The Tab key can now be mapped to any function under keyboard settings.

[dev1126] The Insert key can now be mapped.

[dev1127] Textural changes have been made to the portion of the sea visible while riding on ferries

lol I wonder how /pose will look for each character, since you can already guess how Miqote looks.

1075_8.jpg

Keiician said:
They're finally removing the blessings - somehow I hated that optional boost which you always turned on anyway.

And home points at last!

They arent really removing them, just to assess guardian favor (check the amount), and placing it within the attributes menu alongside the timers placed there from 1.18.

Terproerg

Well im picking this game up tomorrow. Collectors edition for 29$. I dont know what class is good for a nub to try, but archer seems very interesting to me. Anything i need to know about starting out? is it slow like FFXI in the start?

Terproerg said:
Well im picking this game up tomorrow. Collectors edition for 29$. I dont know what class is good for a nub to try, but archer seems very interesting to me. Anything i need to know about starting out? is it slow like FFXI in the start?

It's far from as slow as FFXI. You will most likely end up leveling most of the classes in game and it's very easy to switch class so don't worry about what you want to be yet. Just try them out and level the one you find most fun.

Estival

I thought they said early August would be the start of the summer event? I'm hoping it's soon. I haven't done an event on here yet.

By the way, I'm Jeremy Mars on Lindblum, if I can get in on gaf's linkshell, please?
Edit: I'm in, thanks Rentahamster

Munba

Wow i missed another nice post by rep-comm. Fernehalwes about the term "Void" in Eorzea lore,
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/...-The-“Void”-beyond-Eorzea?p=270590#post270590

I have a few minutes before I dive back into patch 1.19 work, so I'll tell you what I can about the "void."

The "void" is the generic term that inhabitants of Eorzea have given to a dark realm they believe exists beyond their own. This domain is different from the heavens (where the Twelve reside) and the seven hells (one of the destinations to which those who do not follow the teachings of Nald'thal believe the body goes upon death). Little, however, is known about the void or what it contains, and thus creatures deemed too queer or unnatural to be "of Eorzea" (such as ahriman, imps, phurbles, etc.) are often categorized as "voidsent," the common belief being that they were sent by some sinister force from beyond the corporeal realm. Recently, Eorzean scholars have begun pointing to the high concentration of voidsent in the Dzemael Darkhold as evidence of the void's existence, though concrete proof (beyond the Ishgardian sapper's claim) has yet to be uncovered.

I know you guys are dying for more, but that's all I can give you for today!

Very interesting. Hint for a future expansion area/realm?

Moobabe

Munba said:
Wow i missed another nice post by rep-comm. Fernehalwes about the term "Void" in Eorzea lore,

Very interesting. Hint for a future expansion area/realm?

Do we know if they're adding areas in patches or is that exclusively for expansions?

Munba

Still nobody knows about that. I think that having to redesign the old areas, they'll probably bring totally new areas in the first expansion.. or maybe they could create some new parts of actual regions for ps3 release but i doubt it.

Babalu.

I really dislike how long it takes to nock arrows now for archer now. Hopefully they lower it to like 5-8 seconds.

And when can I start a dungeon? Are they all level 50? My highest character is a lvl 21 archer.

I've recently started playing a little bit again.

Kaper

Babalu. said:
I really dislike how long it takes to nock arrows now for archer now. Hopefully they lower it to like 5-8 seconds.

And when can I start a dungeon? Are they all level 50? My highest character is a lvl 21 archer.

I've recently started playing a little bit again.

First dungeon is level 25, check out the Grand Companies to get the quest to do it. Archer damage is ridiculous right now. I'm level 32 and I can solo level 42 mobs that normally one would have to group up to grind for exp. The amount of burst archers have is crazy, and I'd expect a nerf before a buff. Unless this all changes at max rank, lol.

Cmagus

pretty good night tonight Reni, Lily, King and myself ran our first dungeon tonight and it was alot of fun some screens

ff3.jpg

ff4.jpg

ff2.jpg

ff1.jpg

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Unknown Soldier said:
I haven't reinstalled it. There is nothing wrong with me. Except, well, the usual things. But we don't need to talk about those! :3
I have more topical cream if you need it. Or....even if you don't need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom