• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Jinko said:
Aye it seems the EU's don't like this game much lol, I think its time for Gromph to move server :D

Never! ::D

I think i will hit CUL50 today..

Moobabe

Me and both friends starting are EU - so depending on what you mean by "EU hours" we should be around, even if we're a bit low.

Jinko

Moobabe said:
Me and both friends starting are EU - so depending on what you mean by "EU hours" we should be around, even if we're a bit low.

Cool what are your names in game ? EU hours = 6-12 GMT

Jinko

Eccocid said:
Do we have a name list? I keep forgetting who is who in Red Dot.

We did, but a lot of them have come and gone now so is probably not very reliable, would be cool if we could get one going with time zones so we can set up some dungeon runs.

I seem to get left out of the main red dot ones.. pfftt

desa

Join the Rabanastre server! My character is too far developed for me to start over. Maybe I'll make an alternate for the GAF server.

rocK`

Banned
Hey guys, are people still on Lindblum? Where's the most active GAF server? thinking about re-rolling after the patches.

jiggle

desa said:
Join the Rabanastre server! My character is too far developed for me to start over. Maybe I'll make an alternate for the GAF server.

oh i had no idea u're on rabanastre
adding u to FL

i made an alternate on gaf server too

Anno

So what's a decent way to go about making some money? Are there specific crafting skills that are in demand? I really like crafting so I have no problem going through the grind. I'd like to think I'll eventually max everything.

Moobabe

This patching is taking forever! I'm on 3/6 and it's only going at 30kb/s! I don't have any local connections!

Ok - I've opened ports, restarted routers etc and I'm at a loss. Is there anywhere I can download these patches without using this awful programme?

Axl

I came back to this for 1.18 after not playing for a few months and it’s a very nice improvement in my opinion. Game feels more solid, through the mid 20s I've not felt a lack of content. What's there isn’t the greatest, the quests have been same-ish and story missions are (thus far) trivial, but I've not found there to be a lacking quantity. The game I played at launch in Sept was bad - this game is not. Had it launched at this level I feel it would have faired a bit better. I think this is my jumping on point. I'm excited to see it grow!

I'm curious though if the development team has made any mention of redesigning the areas? The zone around Gridania is the worst offender, but they all just feel so... unmemorable.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Moobabe said:
This patching is taking forever! I'm on 3/6 and it's only going at 30kb/s! I don't have any local connections!

Ok - I've opened ports, restarted routers etc and I'm at a loss. Is there anywhere I can download these patches without using this awful programme?

You can download the patch in another bittorrent program. The .torrent file should be in

C:\Users\*USERNAME*\Documents\My Games\FINAL FANTASY XIV\downloads\ffxiv-beta\d96437e6\metainfo

and place the patch file in

C:\Users\*USERNAME*\Documents\My Games\FINAL FANTASY XIV\downloads\ffxiv-beta\d96437e6\patch

Can't remember if it's still d96437e6 or it was renamed to some other code but you shouldn't have trouble finding the torrent file once you in there.

Teknoman

Axl said:
I came back to this for 1.18 after not playing for a few months and it’s a very nice improvement in my opinion. Game feels more solid, through the mid 20s I've not felt a lack of content. What's there isn’t the greatest, the quests have been same-ish and story missions are (thus far) trivial, but I've not found there to be a lacking quantity. The game I played at launch in Sept was bad - this game is not. Had it launched at this level I feel it would have faired a bit better. I think this is my jumping on point. I'm excited to see it grow!

I'm curious though if the development team has made any mention of redesigning the areas? The zone around Gridania is the worst offender, but they all just feel so... unmemorable.

They are supposed to redesign certain chunks of the areas (im guessing places further away/surrounding the settlements/dungeons since those wont be changed).

Moobabe said:

http://tehkrizz.net/FFXIV/downloads.php

Kinda helpful too:

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/18957-Grind-Camps

Moobabe

Thanks guys - downloading the patches separately is beautiful. Should be online in an hour or so.

Edit

While I wait - am I at any disadvantage if I make a disciple of land or hand? Like... why would I create one of those over another given that you can switch any time?

Jinko

Moobabe said:
While I wait - am I at any disadvantage if I make a disciple of land or hand? Like... why would I create one of those over another given that you can switch any time?

Not per say, but you would be better off starting as a battle class and then buying the tools to switch to a DoL class later on.

Coldsnap

Does anyone have a link to that HQ study? From my experiences if I do 300 synths with the quality range from 230-250 at the end I will end up with 14 +1s, 4 +2s, and 0 +3s. I've probably done a total of 500 synths within the range of 250 and seen zero +3s. People are saying 250 can be in the range of +3 but I'm not seeing the results from that.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Coldsnap said:
Does anyone have a link to that HQ study? From my experiences if I do 300 synths with the quality range from 230-250 at the end I will end up with 14 +1s, 4 +2s, and 0 +3s. I've probably done a total of 500 synths within the range of 250 and seen zero +3s. People are saying 250 can be in the range of +3 but I'm not seeing the results from that.

I've made +3 items from a quality as low as 180 I've also told you 250-350 is an efficient range for +3.

I'd just stick with +2 mats anyway unless you find it too hard to bump the quality up with the crafting skills. :p

Shi aimed at that range too and made a bunch of +3 crab bows..

Jinko

Coldsnap said:

/dice roll

Coldsnap

Right on, I'll just keep on going. I probably will end up with a few +2 mats... Mats are just a pain in the ass, wish there was touchups.

Moobabe said:
I don't have a scroll lock :(

Also when should I think about getting new armour (and where do I get it?) I'm nearly Maur r10.

Get Fraps or check the key settings in Config if you can change the screenshot button. If the key is being used (most likely) find it, select it and then press Backspace to remove it, then you can use that key. If scroll lock is a required key then just install Fraps.

New armor can be bought from Market Ward but check with the LS, some will probably help you with everything you need to get started.

Teknoman

vjoe said:
Can someone please invite me to neogaf's FFXIV group on steam? My ID is: Mithos

If its one thing I dont like about steam, its the adding friends process. Sure its easy, but if you just put in the steam ID, alot of the time you'll end up adding the wrong person.

Anyway, added you to my list and i'll send an invite when you pop up.

EDIT: Camp suggestions:

RANK
[15-19] Yarzon Bleeder @ Camp Horizon > Outside Copperbell Mines (Duo/Trio).
[15-20] Monkeys/Puks @ Mun-Tuy Cellars (Full PT).
[20-24] Cellar Puks @ Nanawa Mines (Full PT).
[24-29] Skeletons/Gnats @ Mun-Tuy Cellars (5,4)(Duo/Trio).
[25-29] Hippocerfs @ Camp Dragonhead >(31,19) (Light PT).

[25-31] The Thousand Maws of Toto-Rak. (Light PT Required).
[25-30] Cursed Eyes @ Nanawa Mines (4,4) (Duo/Trio).
[25-30] Antling Diggers @ Copperbell Mines 2F (Full PT).
[29-34] Black Efts @ Camp Nine Ivies (Light PT).
[30-34] Yarzon/Puddings/Buccaneers @ Mistbeard Cove (Full PT).

[30-34] Goblin Freesword @ Camp Dragonhead (43,21) (Light PT).
[30-32] Buccaneers/Toads @ Camp Bald Knoll (Full PT).
[30-39] Young Raptors @ Camp Iron Lake (27,11) & (27,9) (Full PT).¹
[30-32] Nightblade Assassins @ Halatali Cave Entrance (41,31) (Light PT).
[30-39] Antling Diggers @ Halatali Southeast and Southwest (Full PT).

[33-39] Venomtongue Assassins @ Halatali Cave Entrance (39,29) (Light PT).
[33-39] Ixali Fencers @ Camp Emerald Moss Ixali Fortress (Light PT).
[33-39] Ixali Fencers @ Camp Glory Ixali Fortress (Light PT).
[34-39] Black Efts @ Camp Emerald Moss > Treespeak (Light PT).
[35-40] Dusty Mongrels @ Camp Bluefog (23,6) (Light PT).

[37-39] Venomtongue Assassins @ Halatali Cave Entrance (44,25) (Light PT).
[39-44] Mountain Peiste @ Camp Riversmeet (20,22) (Light PT).
[40-44] Goblin/Diremite/Vulture @ Camp Tranquil >Silent Arbor (42,43) (Full PT).

[44-49] Grass Raptors @ Camp Dragonhead > Boulder Downs (Full PT).
[45-50] Dezmael Darkhold (Good luck with that)! (Full PT).
[49-50] Grass Raptors @ Camp Ever Lakes (Full PT).

It's important to realize that account name and community name are 2 different things on Steam. You should always search by your friend's community name, not account name.

I'm glad to see that you can still use the Glass Raptors for something. And the Black Eftus. Heh.

scotcheggz

A few days ago, we did Darkhold with a bit of a sketchy group due to people not logging etc. so I fraps'd the ogre fight since most of the videos are all mage/archer heavy. Actually turned out good fun and felt good to take it down with the mix of jobs we had. GLA/PUG/PUG/MRD/LNC/ARC/CON/THM.

We were all being overly cautious and monkeying about a bit, but here you go.

In a funny sort of way, Batraal seems a bit easier than ogre to me, ogre spams so much horrible shit all the time.

Teknoman

Huh...guess I never noticed em.

Testing full size shot posting:

5bZhF.jpg

pvXC9.jpg

Nutb8.jpg

zBPYR.jpg

IKB04.jpg

0yDxd.jpg

Vuno3.jpg

Think i've added more people to my friends list in the past two weeks than...well since XIV's launch. Finally starting to see shouts for actual parties, so thats nice.

scotcheggz

Is that Amaljaa camp good sp? what size group/level range do you need for it? I've got a R37 ARC that is going nowhere fast on solo leves these days :(

Just bought this for 6 bucks, will be playing it as soon as it arrives.

Have they finally started charging for a monthly fee or is it still free?

Moobabe

Metalmurphy said:
Just bought this for 6 bucks, will be playing it as soon as it arrives.

Have they finally started charging for a monthly fee or is it still free?

Still free to play sir. Me and some friends have just started up too - play with us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom