• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salaadin

jiggle said:
did you choose to use the beta FFXIV service account?

cuz that's what it's attached to =.=

When I registered, it asked if I wanted to add a new FFXIV service account or use the existing one. I used the existing one on my account. It was called "Final Fantasy XIV" and made no indication about it being the beta.

Im pretty sure they cleared all of the beta service options from everyones account prior to the open beta. I dont think the FFXIV open beta was ever directly called "Open Beta" on my account. I think it was always just "FFXIV".
Id check for you but Im at work and my security token is at home.

jiggle

Salaadin said:
When I registered, it asked if I wanted to add a new FFXIV service account or use the existing one. I used the existing one on my account. It was called "Final Fantasy XIV" and made no indication about it being the beta.

Im pretty sure they cleared all of the beta service options from everyones account prior to the open beta. I dont think the FFXIV open beta was ever directly called "Open Beta" on my account. I think it was always just "FFXIV".
Id check for you but Im at work and my security token is at home.

when i was doing mine
it said to use "FFXIV" account if i want to keep my beta names
or to "create new service account"

didn't even realize the armbands are attached to the old one
why'd they gotta make everything so difficulty XD

notworksafe

Reading this thread while at work is going to end up bad for my wallet. And there is a GameStop on my way home........

Anyway...any pics, guys? (either in-game or of your awesome CE) :D

zlatko

Banned
notworksafe said:
Reading this thread while at work is going to end up bad for my wallet. And there is a GameStop on my way home........

Anyway...any pics, guys? (either in-game or of your awesome CE) :D

I KNEW you couldn't resist. :lol

Alcander

so, does this game have storied quests at all? I really know hardly anything about it, but coming from WoW...would it just seem like a grind-fest? I played FF11 and didn't really enjoy it because of that...

Teknoman

Londa said:
seems like NA can't use Crysta. I try to buy some and it saids I am making a invalid action.

Yeah we can. Best to buy through paypal (click on ultimate pay first).

Anyway, leaving the updater on (seems to be working just fine for now)...hopefully i'll be on sometime after 9pmCST.

Well Lindblum is certainly crowded, its not too bad except half the time I can't attack targets that I've already engaged. I'll hit an enemy and then when I try and attack it again it will say "Target is already engaged", all the while the monster keeps attacking me :lol

Alcander said:
so, does this game have storied quests at all? I really know hardly anything about it, but coming from WoW...would it just seem like a grind-fest? I played FF11 and didn't really enjoy it because of that...

Actually XI has quite the story to follow, but it doesn't hand it to you on a platter, you have to kind of find it. That said, 14 is much more straightforward in it's initial story push, but don't expect giant green arrows over quest npcs or anything like that. Honestly, play it like an old school rpg: Talk to everyone and write down anything that sounds important (the game probably won't remember for you.) It's far from directionless at the very beginning, but after the introductory sequence what you do next is fairly open ended.

Allard

The only quests it has in this game are stories based around either your nation or your class (Which are awesome by the way... at least the nations ones were, no ones high enough to know how good the class ones are yet), outside of that it is a grind. You can do guild Leves sporadically but once those are up its either a straight grind (whether its leveling or farming for items to grind a crafting class) or an occasional behest every hour, which acts like a 'free' guild leve that can occasionally give items and gil out for doing them. Still better then FFXI, but if you are expecting to have quests tell you what to do and just quest to gain levels, its not happening in this game.

rSpooky

where the hell do I pay with this crysta BS??
I cannot find it , my wife allready added some more to here account , but that just sits there.. and she should not have to , because there are 30 days free.. what the hell is this shit?? yes I am frustrated with this crap.

Zomba13

:( My friend and his LS are starting on Palamecia now. His LS are saying that Lindblumis filling up too fast. Just hope my old FFXI LS decided to join me on Lindblum.

Jinko

Alcander said:

FF11 had one of the best story lines in an MMO for me and is the reason I played it for so long (it didn't really kick off till Chain of Promathia though), there are plenty of videos around showing the starting of FF14.

Seems there is a major quest storyline every 10 levels so there will be a fair bit of grinding inbetween, personally I would say if you are having doubt wait til PS3 launch by that time there will be probably be more storyline content.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
rSpooky said:
where the hell do I pay with this crysta BS??
I cannot find it , my wife allready added some more to here account , but that just sits there.. and she should not have to , because there are 30 days free.. what the hell is this shit?? yes I am frustrated with this crap.

You mean to add a character so you can play? If you've done everything else you can add characters by going to:

1. Account Management
2. Select Service
3. Final Fantasy XIV
4. Options List
5. Add New Options (Should say 8 Characters next to it or something.)

Ronok

Kyoufu said:
Worst patcher in the history of online gaming.

It actually works quite well for me. I was getting 800kb/s when I was getting the update. I mean, it's hardly my max download speed, but it's better then I expected considering how poorly it was running for most of the beta.

Jinko

Ronok said:
It actually works quite well for me. I was getting 800kb/s when I was getting the update. I mean, it's hardly my max download speed, but it's better then I expected considering how poorly it was running for most of the beta.

Yup was downloading a lot better for me also.

Has anyone checked out the lodestone yet? It's like the FFXI main site, only with actual useful information, like 30 levels of crafting recipes for every craft.

Yup quite handy that, too bad SE reduced the money rewards though, I can't buy anything to craft even if i wanted to.

jiggle

meh decided i can live without the asuran armbands

Jelect Razor - Rabanastre - Ul'dha - Conj

add me to FL if u play there :)

rSpooky

Emenis said:
You mean to add a character so you can play? If you've done everything else you can add characters by going to:

1. Account Management
2. Select Service
3. Final Fantasy XIV
4. Options List
5. Add New Options (Should say 8 Characters next to it or something.)

Thanks so much

vivin

yo pan, where are we all meeting?

I should be able to jump online for a bit in about 2hours time, during my lunch break, be great to sort things out then :)

I'm gonna be on in like 15 min tops, barring char creation woes, then I have Limbus at 7:30 (1:05 from now) then I'll be back on after to make the run to other cities.

Alex

Allard said:
The only quests it has in this game are stories based around either your nation or your class (Which are awesome by the way... at least the nations ones were, no ones high enough to know how good the class ones are yet), outside of that it is a grind. You can do guild Leves sporadically but once those are up its either a straight grind (whether its leveling or farming for items to grind a crafting class) or an occasional behest every hour, which acts like a 'free' guild leve that can occasionally give items and gil out for doing them. Still better then FFXI, but if you are expecting to have quests tell you what to do and just quest to gain levels, its not happening in this game.

Those were awesome? They had basically no interaction or mechanics whatsoever, you just stumbled around and watched low budget cutscenes, as if it's some kind of actual carrot. I was pretty disappointed in the ones I did.

There's barely any of them as well, even I, being the doubting thomas I am, figured they were holding quest content back to a large degree. That's really sad, and in conjunction with the really barren world, bad economy systems stunting crafting and complete lack of other content, really makes me question what on Earth folks are doing in the early stages of this game.

Did they at least reduce the cooldown on their randomly generated leves like they said? I mean, those are still basically grinding, calling them quests would be a insane stretch. Grinding FFXI (which was very fun under the right conditions and as you went on), doesn't really work in XIV at all, you'd have to be a total masochist to want to progress like that.

Pietepiet

I have an NA copy of Final Fantasy XIII that I bought when I was at GDC, so I can't use the code since I'm in Europe.

Anyone want? PM

[EDIT]

GONE LIKE THE WIND

Salaadin

You can set the camera controls to the numpad. I had to remove every secondary key from the config and then it let me assign them.

Menu > Config > Keyboard settings

Is that one of peoples complaints?

Kangaboo

Neo Member
So how do we get our Hermes Sandals?

FF11 people get those too, right!?! Are we going to be emailed some separate code?

Anyone figured that out yet? (read back a few pages but didn't see anything!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom