• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiggle

obligatory swimsuit pix
weird that they decided to cover up miqote's crack
i6jzpz.jpg

fnu6x1.jpg

qnpxeo.jpg

ienq0j.jpg

been waiting for the chance to solo some NMs ever since i came back
had to use the cheat method
but after a couple nights of effort i'm all ready to play THM now :D
mmqz29.jpg

Rentahamster said:
It's improved leaps and bound from "I can't believe they released this piece of shit" to "Kinda crappy but pretty game".

this really is the state the game should've been released on

Teknoman

I'm just glad the future is a little brighter now. Oh and yeah, leave ambient occlusion off. General Drawing should be left at standard as well. Mess with everything else.

Also depth of field should probably be turned off since it doesnt look that great...unless they improve it later on. They've already stealth improved the lighting, so I could see that happening in the near future.

Ken

Metalmurphy said:
Thanks mileS

I hate torrent based updaters... Thank god I found a website hosting all the patch files.

3.5MB/s vs 45KB/s oO
Could you PM me the site with the patches?

Also, going to try installing the game tomorrow with my buddy pass. Couldn't install the game before since my disc drive is acting weird. Do I go to the official website to use my pass or?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Ken said:
Could you PM me the site with the patches?

Also, going to try installing the game tomorrow with my buddy pass. Couldn't install the game before since my disc drive is acting weird. Do I go to the official website to use my pass or?
Check the links I posted earlier in the thread.

Ken

Rentahamster said:
Check the links I posted earlier in the thread.
I read the first two links and they didn't seem to answer my question, and I wasn't sure which Google result to click in the third link but the few I did seemed to not answer my question either.

Someone on the previous page said the official site doesn't allow the client download so I would have to find it elsewhere even after registering my buddy pass/registration key?

Ken said:
I read the first two links and they didn't seem to answer my question, and I wasn't sure which Google result to click in the third link but the few I did seemed to not answer my question either.

Someone on the previous page said the official site doesn't allow the client download so I would have to find it elsewhere even after registering my buddy pass/registration key?

Yes, I had to download it off a torrent. The patches however I found on a website with great speeds:

http://tehkrizz.net/FFXIV/downloads.php

You don't have to download all of them though, it's just 7. Not sure which ones but I can tell you once I get home cause I still have the files.

mileS

Metalmurphy said:
Can't seem to force vsync with this game, and it tears like mad -.-

Yea the tearing in this game is BRUTAL. I almost got sick for the first week of playing. That was until I found out about D3DOverrider to force vsync. I think it comes with a program called "RivaTuner" (Thanks to somebody in the LS that told me)

D3DOVerrider is a must for PC gaming.

mileS said:
Yea the tearing in this game is BRUTAL. I almost got sick for the first week of playing. That was until I found out about D3DOverrider to force vsync. I think it comes with a program called "RivaTuner" (Thanks to somebody in the LS that told me)

D3DOVerrider is a must for PC gaming.

I spent a long time googling the problem, it seems that D3DOverrider works for Nvidia cards and not AMD. However, i found several reports saying that ATITray Tools works, but for some reason, I can't get it to work on mine :/

mileS

Metalmurphy said:
I spent a long time googling the problem, it seems that D3DOverrider works for Nvidia cards and not AMD. However, i found several reports saying that ATITray Tools works, but for some reason, I can't get it to work on mine :/

I did the same thing when I first heard about it. Searching mostly comes up with results saying it only works for Nvidia but that isn't correct. It works for AMD as well because I have a 5850. I use it for about 90% of the games I play on PC. As far as I know there's no way to just download D3D on its own, you need to get RivaTuner because thats what it comes with. I think after you install you can move D3D and uninstall RivaTuner but I didn't bother.

From my experience, if you are going to force Vsync, D3D will give you the best performance almost always. Most of the time it's even better to use for games that offer you in-engine Vsync.

Oh and I'm not sure what internet browser you use but don't try and open D3D when Chrome is currently running. It won't show up on you system tray if you do.

Ravidrath

I'm on Lindblum - name is Ravidrath Astolph. Might reroll to get a better skin tone, though... not sure I like the one I have.

Graphics setting question...

The self-shadowing on things looks pretty bad... it's all moire-y and covered in lines.

What do I need to change to improve that?

Estival

Is this the kind of event where everyone finishes it in a day or two, and then no one touches it for the rest of the time? I'm thinking my friends who just started playing today might not be able to finish it because of the Coerthas part and everyone else being finished.

I just realized I had over 20GB of video that I accidentally recorded with FRAPS. It explains the framerate problems I was having at the time -.-

At least some good came out of it.

mETvC.gif

Teknoman

Ravidrath said:
I'm on Lindblum - name is Ravidrath Astolph. Might reroll to get a better skin tone, though... not sure I like the one I have.

The self-shadowing on things looks pretty bad... it's all moire-y and covered in lines.

Turn off ambient occlusion and depth of field.

Ravidrath

Teknoman said:
Turn off ambient occlusion and depth of field.

That wasn't it - they were already off, in fact.

The game has some self-shadowing going on that looks really shitty for me. I found that can be turned off in the in-game configuration, under System.

shadowsgonebad.jpg

There's an example of it, although not a very good one.

It's really distracting, though, because your characters are constantly covered in these shifting moire patterns.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Ravidrath said:
It's really distracting, though, because your characters are constantly covered in these shifting moire patterns.
Yeah, I get that too. I just tend to ignore it. There was a thread on the forums about weird shadows, and I think they mentioned that they want to address this but it's gonna take a while.

The text command to toggle shadows is /shadow

Ravidrath

Why would they default a graphical feature on that makes the game look worse? :\

Anyway, I was surprised that the game mostly runs in Parallels on Mac! It has a weird issue where all the characters and objects blink... if I can figure out a way to fix that, it'd be pretty neat.

Ravidrath said:
The game has some self-shadowing going on that looks really shitty for me.
Yeah, pretty common. Same here. Worse was when I played in 3D for a bit, and the shadows were crappy in non-matching ways for the left and right images.

Jinko

Ravidrath said:

Nothing you can do about it, that's just the way the engine renders self shadows.

In other news Hot stuff

Make sure you don't go overboard with the Background Detail. From what I could gather that basically renders the game at 2x or 3x the resolution and scales down, giving it a super sampled look. But ofc, might kill the framerate.

Depth of field didn't affect the framerate at all on my pc but Ambient Occlusion did. Also I'm not sure but doesn't reducing the shadow quality remove self shadowing?

My bro has been bugging me for a long time to give this a try, so I finally did. I'm actually having fun with it so far. Despite the updates, I'm beginning to see why it was received so poorly. I've had to figure pretty much everything out myself until my brother logged on.

Luigi87

Jinko said:
Nothing you can do about it, that's just the way the engine renders self shadows.

In other news Hot stuff

All it needs is a "Wish you were here"

I should look into contacting the GAF LS... For the few times I log in now and then, it's a very... Let's say quiet, experience.

VertPin

Any idea of when this is coming out for PS3? I would love to buy this, I've been waiting so long. I'm also buying a new laptop soon, but I honestly have no idea what could run this game. $600 price range if anyone willing to help.

Teknoman

Luigi87 said:
All it needs is a "Wish you were here"

I should look into contacting the GAF LS... For the few times I log in now and then, it's a very... Let's say quiet, experience.

People seem a little more talkative nowadays since dungeon runs and normal parties pay off more/ are less of a hectic event.

As far as PS3 goes, its still being fine tuned, and most likely wont be released until the game has a substantial amount of content/ improved performance.

VertPin

Teknoman said:
People seem a little more talkative nowadays since dungeon runs and normal parties pay off more/ are less of a hectic event.

As far as PS3 goes, its still being fine tuned, and most likely wont be released until the game has a substantial amount of content/ improved performance.
One simple question, how easy can you get into the game? I honestly don't know much about MMO's at all, this would be my first MMO when I finally purchase it.

Ravidrath said:
Huh, may try that out.

I've been using the very first Windower that was released, the one that Square shut down. Still works better than anything I've tried.

I doubt Square will do anything to this, it's not even a program, just a window script that removes the borders. The other application is just so you can activate it/deactivate it with CTRL+SHIFT+A

I reinstalled the game and patched it up. Windower XIV still works exactly the same as ever. I guess Squenix isn't going to take action against Windower XIV to block it's mechanism is the client, at least until they create a proper Fullscreen mode which doesn't crash when the client loses focus or they finally add a real Windowed Fullscreen mode. I don't care which really, they just need to fucking do something about how sad the client is in terms of being a Windows application.

I'm scared to actually log in and play it though. :|

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Unknown Soldier said:
I reinstalled the game and patched it up. Windower XIV still works exactly the same as ever. I guess Squenix isn't going to take action against Windower XIV to block it's mechanism is the client, at least until they create a proper Fullscreen mode which doesn't crash when the client loses focus or they finally add a real Windowed Fullscreen mode. I don't care which really, they just need to fucking do something about how sad the client is in terms of being a Windows application.

I'm scared to actually log in and play it though. :|

Those swimsuits are too good to pass up huh? :p

ZiZ

1092_0.jpg

Now, I realize that this hardly makes up for my tardiness, but there’s something I’d like to share with you all: a screenshot of the long-awaited “My Little Chocobo” system!

is YoshiP ...a brony?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Now that's a lot of changes. Doubt I will play longer than after the last patches (that is ~30 minutes), guess I'll get my own chocobo and wait until 1.20.

SUPARSTARX said:
Is this still free to play until they get some of their things in order?

I think they are saving the PS3 version so they can do a re-launch with the game and then start charging for it. But as of right now and until they say otherwise it's free to play.

SUPARSTARX

Cool cool, maybe I'll try this out a bit on controller. I didn't enjoy the beta a whole lot on keyboard and I didn't have a wired controller to play this on. I just picked up a nice 360 wired controller with stiff analog and well made D-pad. Might be worthwhile now.

Unless of course keyboard configuration is better now, because I wasn't really feeling the camera being entirely done on keyboard.

Ravidrath

Man, I thought 1.19 was sooner than that?

Guess I'll play at a low level until then to get my crafts and things going.

BTW - shadows!

If you turn shadows on in the game and set them to "Low" in the config utility, you will get ground shadows from characters and objects and none of the ugly self-shadowing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom