• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Effect

Was considering reinstalling this, not totally sure why. Perhaps it's the music that can't keep me away as that was one thing I really enjoyed. Are they still not charging monthly for the game?

Effect

Keiician said:
Yeah, nothing changed in that aspect.

Thanks. Still amazed that is the case. Would have expected them to try and get some revenue going for the game. Maybe a cash shop to some degree. Though have to hand it to them to not charge until they felt the game was worth paying monthly for and not throw in the towel.

Is there a run down on all the changes made to the game or does one have to go through patch notes?

Luigi87

Munba said:
I'm not able to figure out the black character above with the "blades" on the back. And so the galka under the paladin, dressed with that strange mace and horns... maybe Viking class? :0 In any case, awesome art as always by Yoshida.

edit: bow with harp... bard confirmed!

Finally! Now I have a reason to sing in the chat, and only a few people won't think I'm crazy.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Those strongholds don't look that appealing to me. It seems like they just packed a huge amount of enemies and buildings randomly in a small space.

Teknoman

Sin said:
The top one must be Dragoon. I am highly disappointed if so, since seeing the 'Evil Armour' illustration from a while back I always assumed it was going to be for Dark Knight. :/

Unless...Lancer somehow ends up becoming Dark Dragoon.

Chiave said:
So... enemies just stand idly by, waiting for people to kill them.

I'm sure they dont, just like every other enemy in the game. Its just one of those fly by mode videos to show off the environment.

Keiician said:
Those strongholds don't look that appealing to me. It seems like they just packed a huge amount of enemies and buildings randomly in a small space.

They look like larger areas that take on the same style as a beastman stronghold would in XI, except more established since we arent really at war with them. Probably just looks like that if you've seen the areas beforehand, especially since they are adding onto the current map.

Ravidrath

DimmuBurgerKing said:
So, are we thinking Black Mage and White Mage are both going to be Conjurer related jobs? Or would BLM be Thaumaturge?

Now that I'm playing more, I'm coming around to White Mage coming from Conjurer.

It has all the Cures, buffs and status spells you'd expect from a White Mage, and none of the traits from Guild Marks are nuke-related, even though it has more nukes.

Likewise, Thaumaturge has all the nuke-related Guild Mark traits.

When I started I picked THM since I essentially wanted to play a Red Mage. Ability wise, CON has both White Mage and Black Mage spells but thematically they seem to relate more to Black Mage since their guild quests are all about the elements. The THM has spells from both WHM and RDM but their guild is about dealing with funerals and such and I can't think of a real corollary in FF lore. IMO the ideal situation would be to have a 3rd DoM and do CON->BLM, THM->RDM, and have the 3rd be the WHM. What I imagine will happen will be CON->WHM, THM->BLM and I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Edit: @Ravidrath: Which traits are you talking about? As a THM the only ones I have available for purchase are the two attack abilities(CON gets the same abilities with different names), the "affinity" trait that every class gets, def up while casting, and the stat traits that CON also gets.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Strongholds look promising. I was pleasantly surprised by the entertainment value of the dungeons so I'm anticipating a similar trend in quality.

Teknoman

Yeah dungeon adjustments, materia building, chocobo quests, stronghold assaults, and whatever else they have planned...should be pretty nice. Hopefully more unique combat animations get implemented (standard attacks, etc.). I wonder if jump will arrive too...

EDIT: Full size cover preview:

wveibs.jpg

Munba

Hope to see some little surprises in the patch as well (like some graphics redesign stuff hopefully!).

Btw, i'm pretty sure the new music tracks they are adding every patch (not those from alpha ost) are from Mizuta. That style.

edit: love the 'warrior' (hope in a diffrent class though) outfit, very hun/viking style.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Teknoman said:
Look at the top of the bow. New FF crazy weapon confirmed? We've got gunblades, gunhalberds, so why not bowharps? Either that or its just a really elaborate bow...
That kinda does look like a....a bowharp.

o_O????

Luigi87

A bowharp... It's so freakin' ridiculous... It's perfect!

... I really need to resume so I can level up my LNC more in prep for Dragoon...

Teknoman

Cmagus said:
What update do these new classes come in and are the beast holds coming in the next patch

Beast holds are in 1.19 as are chocobos and materia. Probably more quests, grand company stuff, some animation tweaks, more current class tweaks, NMs, dungeons are supposed to get some tweaks, and other things we dont know about.

Allard

Ravidrath said:
I thought Jobs was 1.20?

Jobs are 1.21. Battle Combat overhaul goes like this

Patch 1.19 - Eliminate Physical Level and Completely overhaul stat point formulas.

Patch 1.20 - Complete Overhaul of Class abilities and who gets what (this is in preparation for jobs)

Patch 1.21 Jobs are introduced with accompanying quests to earn them and get new abilities specific to them.

Somewhere in the middle we are getting new animations for combat classes as well. Also 1.19 was supposed to be where we get new animations and algorithms for auto-attack where it becomes dependent on the type of class as well as the weapon type.

Luigi87

Ravidrath said:
I thought Jobs was 1.20?

As did I (and hoped), but I was just reading through this it looks like they are to complete the groundwork for them during 1.20, and release in 1.21.

Edit: Stupid go to last page >.< I click it, yet it brings me to the end of the last page, and not to this new page.

Moobabe

Allard said:
Jobs are 1.21. Battle Combat overhaul goes like this

Patch 1.19 - Eliminate Physical Level and Completely overhaul stat point formulas.

Patch 1.20 - Complete Overhaul of Class abilities and who gets what (this is in preparation for jobs)

Patch 1.21 Jobs are introduced with accompanying quests to earn them and get new abilities specific to them.

Somewhere in the middle we are getting new animations for combat classes as well. Also 1.19 was supposed to be where we get new animations and algorithms for auto-attack where it becomes dependent on the type of class as well as the weapon type.

What else is big in those patches?

Luigi87

Lodestone said:
Acquiring Your Steed
In order to acquire a personal chocobo, adventurers must:
2) Acquire a chocobo issuance for 3,000 company seals (price subject to change)

Hm, I'd rather shop around for a better rate.

Hulud

Have they released a complete list of the jobs they are adding in 1.21? If they bring Viking I will reroll and grind up to max level this instant.

Ravidrath

Hulud said:
Have they released a complete list of the jobs they are adding in 1.21? If they bring Viking I will reroll and grind up to max level this instant.

I believe it's...

Gladiator ->Paladin
Pugilist -> Monk
Marauder -> Dark Knight
Lancer -> Dragoon
Conjurer -> White Mage
Thaumaturge -> Black Mage
Archer -> Bard​

The Dark Knight in that art looks a lot more Viking-esque than previous emo-knight designs, so I'm hoping it brings a different take on the job.

Darte

You guys are boring, I went around several XIV specific forums to read all the bitching about "easy" personal chocobos. The general XIV forums are a riot!

Ravidrath said:
I believe it's...

Gladiator ->Paladin
Pugilist -> Monk
Marauder -> Dark Knight
Lancer -> Dragoon
Conjurer -> White Mage
Thaumaturge -> Black Mage
Archer -> Bard​

The Dark Knight in that art looks a lot more Viking-esque than previous emo-knight designs, so I'm hoping it brings a different take on the job.

I know it's completely nerdy and inconsequential, but I'm hoping for a set of classic White Mage robes, red triangles and all, like in the Famitsu cover art.

Cmagus

they need different kinds of chocobos id like a small fat pudgy one for my lala also kind of wish they would bring back summoner

Luigi87

Cmagus said:
they need different kinds of chocobos id like a small fat pudgy one for my lala also kind of wish they would bring back summoner

I want a giant chocobo for my Lala... You know, to compensate for his size!

Teknoman

Caravan Defense info:

Got a few extra details to answer some of the questions that were presented here, and elsewhere. Sorry for the delay in getting these details for you all.

Is there a level requirement to take part in caravan security detail and will the enemies’ strength vary based on your level?
Disciples of War & Magic level 25 and up that have pledged their allegiance to a Grand Company can participate. The enemies’ strength will not change depending on the player's level.

Can you enter as a party?
Yep, it is possible to enter as a party. Caravan security will function the same way as Behest and allow up to four players to participate at once. Caravan security sessions will take place every 15 minutes.

Will the number of players involved affect the number of enemies that appear or their strength?

The number of players involved will not affect the number of enemies or the strength of the enemies. The content may be very difficult to solo.

It has been noted that a chocobo's HP can be recovered by providing their favorite food, but where can this food be purchased, and what does it cost?
Chocobo food will be sold by vendor NPCs in each city-state and the caravan security reception NPC. There will also be other methods to acquire this food!

How do you give food to a distressed chocobo?
When you select the chocobo, a command is displayed, and you can choose to provide them with food from the displayed menu.

Can you take part in caravan security with a player who is affiliated with a different Grand Company?
Nope, you won’t be able to join in the operation with a member of a different Grand Company. Also, you will only be able to take part in caravan security from the aetheryte associated with your Grand Company’s city-state. For example, only members of Ul'dah's Immortal Flames can join the caravan security operation in Camp Horizon.

Will you receive EXP from defeating enemies?
Yep.

Darte said:
You guys are boring, I went around several XIV specific forums to read all the bitching about "easy" personal chocobos. The general XIV forums are a riot!

Which is stupid since this is just the first stage of Chocobo. We have no idea how many Company quests we'll have to take for Recruit level, and the system here is supposed to be completely different from that convoluted quest in XI. Hell, i'll take Chocobos I can use in battle and train with me over what we had in XI.

Luigi87 said:
Any bitching about dashed dreams of hoping to make a profit via Chocobo breeding?

Not yet, but since they keep putting emphasis on the fact that the current personal chocobos are all male, we'll probably have breeding at some point. Hopefully thats totally different than XI too (XI had many good things, but Chocobo acquiring and breeding was not one of em).

EDIT: I really hope everyone doesnt flock to the same company, especially since each company has different rewards that are closely tailored to certain classes.

Riposte

Disciples of War & Magic level 25 and up that have pledged their allegiance to a Grand Company can participate. The enemies’ strength will not change depending on the player's level.

Yet another thing that won't provide any challenge because people will just switch their best class if they are feeling nervous.

EDIT: So which company guys?

EDIT: I don't want to join the Immortal Flames.

Munba

Limsa, with flags moving at the wind, seems more alive now. I love them. Hope they'll leave them after the event too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom