• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teknoman

They really should.

More info:

You can still do the Grand Company quests with those from other Grand Company nations. When in party if there are members from all 3 nations (3 people from different nations) with some quests there may be good things.

From Reinheart's translation thread.

Allard

Not that it matters since I'm not on your world but I am going Limsa! (Despite basically none of my current classes come from there... Hey I need to level up them sometime right?)

DimmuBurgerKing said:
I know it's completely nerdy and inconsequential, but I'm hoping for a set of classic White Mage robes, red triangles and all, like in the Famitsu cover art.

From Bayonhe on the official forum.

The cover image featured on Connect-On consists of job concept art. The weapons each job is wielding are things we are planning to implement into the game. In regards to which job is what and what they equip, we'll leave that up to you and your imaginations for the time being.

It seems like the weapon that drew the most attention was the bow... I can tell you that it is in fact a bow that transforms.

Teknoman

Bowharp confirmed. We'll probably end up having Garlean tech like gunblade and gunhalberds at some point too.

Honestly I still want to be an Immortal Flame. No big deal if we cant do caravan defense with one another, but at least we can do company quests together, as well as possibly get bonuses for cooperating with other companies.

jiggle

there's no way to go above "recruit" right now in grand companies ya?

it's nice they're giving out all the free seals today
so ppl who cant do darkhold yet can still get their chocobo soonish

Teknoman

jiggle said:

At the moment, I think so. Probably going to raise the ranks in 1.19.

Effect

WoW. I forgot how slow things could be in this game. Just running around Gridania is a bit tiring due to how big it is. The game runs so much better on my upgraded system though which is a huge plus. As is the auto attack. Might take it extremely slow playing this. Maybe an hour or so a session until it clicks a some point. Don't really care for ability gameplay anymore but I always liked the world in FFXIV, the little I did see of it. Also the music helps and I did think the story was somewhat interesting. So I'll play for that primarily for a while and just deal with the combat system.

Did they make it easier to level? I seem to get to level 6 Lancer a lot quicker then I did when i first played.

Teknoman

Effect said:
WoW. I forgot how slow things could be in this game. Just running around Gridania is a bit tiring due to how big it is. The game runs so much better on my upgraded system though which is a huge plus. As is the auto attack. Might take it extremely slow playing this. Maybe an hour or so a session until it clicks a some point. Don't really care for ability gameplay anymore but I always liked the world in FFXIV, the little I did see of it. Also the music helps and I did think the story was somewhat interesting. So I'll play for that primarily for a while and just deal with the combat system.

Did they make it easier to level? I seem to get to level 6 Lancer a lot quicker then I did when i first played.

Yeah, the path from 1-20(?) was made easier. Enemies themselves are still being adjusted though.

jiggle said:

Where are they giving out free seals?

Jinko

EDIT: I really hope everyone doesnt flock to the same company, especially since each company has different rewards that are closely tailored to certain classes.

Well the majority of people will flock to Ul'dah so people like myself going with Gridania are guna find it hard to find members to party up for stuff.

It's typical SE would do this just as they did in XI, it really makes the game many times more annoying that it needs to be.

Why bother giving us a choice if there is only one real choice ... Ul'Dah.

ZiZ

Jinko said:
Well the majority of people will flock to Ul'dah so people like myself going with Gridania are guna find it hard to find members to party up for stuff.

It's typical SE would do this just as they did in XI, it really makes the game many times more annoying that it needs to be.

Yeah, I'm definitely joining "The Immortal Flames" I've always preferred Ul'Dah to the other cities, and their Grand company just seems cooler.

Jinko said:

Gridania for me, along with most of my LS here on Besaid. Forestborn, represent!

Riposte

If it is easy to switch, then I'll join them all over time. Because I want to see every piece of story content. Still very annoyed I can't see other nation's missions. I mean just use echo, goddamn.

Teknoman

Riposte said:
If it is easy to switch, then I'll join them all over time. Because I want to see every piece of story content. Still very annoyed I can't see other nation's missions. I mean just use echo, goddamn.

They've said that having seals from other companies or doing quests with members of other companies will be "rewarded" as well, so I doubt true story additions via companies will be blocked to others.

Ravidrath

Do you need to officially join to get the seals, or what?

And can I still do the other Recruit quests after I've officially joined, or should I finish them all before joining?

Ravidrath said:
They're saying 9/30 now.

Glad to hear that's just around the corner. I Have put so little time into this game out of boredom, and waiting for a reason to play the game. Starting from scratch for the 1.19 changes should be cool. Those stat points you had to allocate after leveling up annoyed the hell out me, because I had no flippin idea what I should put the points into. Especially the elemental ones. Also the classes in the game irritate me for some reason. I wish they had simply gone with some of the classic FF jobs (WHM/BLM/WAR/MNK) for some familiarity. Oh well, Jobs are coming later so I shouldn't complain too much.

Teknoman

Nakazato said:
so are there more than one place to start quest cause i cant find anymore at the hall for my self as a 22/r.

There were only a few from what I remember when 1.18 hit. There should be alot more + additional ranks come next week.

You mean for Grand Companies right?

Im just glad this will add a ton of stuff to do in addition to things I havent done already.

Ravidrath

GrumpyAlien said:
Glad to hear that's just around the corner. I Have put so little time into this game out of boredom, and waiting for a reason to play the game. Starting from scratch for the 1.19 changes should be cool. Those stat points you had to allocate after leveling up annoyed the hell out me, because I had no flippin idea what I should put the points into. Especially the elemental ones. Also the classes in the game irritate me for some reason. I wish they had simply gone with some of the classic FF jobs (WHM/BLM/WAR/MNK) for some familiarity. Oh well, Jobs are coming later so I shouldn't complain too much.

The point allocation will be back in 1.20, only good.

It'll be done on a per-class basis, and I think they're supposed to be more like bonus points on top of base stats from your class/level. Kind of like merits from XI, I guess - want to be more accurate, spend them on DEX, or if you want more damage, spend them on STR, etc.

Allard

GrumpyAlien said:

Well good news! They isn't even going to be an elemtnal stat when leveling up after next patch. Elemental affinities are now going to be done entirely through gear. It certainly will bring an interesting twist to the standard elemental gear since the elemental stats actually felt like they did something compared to stats like DEX and PIE (unless of course you had a ton of points in them). Now we need gear that either comes with or has materia affixed with the element you want to use the most, protect from the most, drop cystals/shards the most and protect from destabilization the most in crafting!

As for the automated stats and added points I think its going to be something like how they are doing airships. Automated is the standard/starter way, but in patch 1.20 they will add the ability to implement the points yourself and you can choose either the default or the way you assigned them.

Teknoman

FFXIV controller on sale for 12.99 from 39.99 normal price:

FF905483-PC-Final-Fantasy-XIV-Online-Controller-pack_02.png

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0046ZQ022/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The question is... good controller?

EDIT:

http://vgtribune.com/final-fantasy-xiv-official-controller-review/

http://www.snakebyte-usa.com/container-products/products/pc/final-fantasyR-xiv-controller/

http://www.gamersdailynews.com/article-2633-Snakebyte-Final-Fantasy-XIV-Controller-Review-PC.html

Went ahead and took the plunge. I wont toss out my 360 wired controller, but for 12.99, its going to be a great alternative since my 360 pad's left analog is a bit loose. Apparently it doubles as a PS3 controller.

Ravidrath

I bought one a few weeks ago, Teknoman, and think it's pretty great. It's basically a wired PS3 controller, and you can't beat the price.

DEFINITELY a lot better than the wired 360 pad I was also using before - I swear the D-Pad on that thing killed me several times in XI and XIV.

Just, whatever you do, don't install the drivers for the controller. One guy in the LS was getting blue screens, and on my machine it would just reboot the system in the middle of gameplay at least once a night.

Teknoman

Ravidrath said:
I bought one a few weeks ago, Teknoman, and think it's pretty great. It's basically a wired PS3 controller, and you can't beat the price.

DEFINITELY a lot better than the wired 360 pad I was also using before - I swear the D-Pad on that thing killed me several times in XI and XIV.

Just, whatever you do, don't install the drivers for the controller. One guy in the LS was getting blue screens, and on my machine it would just reboot the system in the middle of gameplay at least once a night.

So just plug and play, gotcha.

Teknoman

Looking at one of the older letters, Yoshi posted that a new low level public dungeon would be implemented...which i'm guessing thats similar to places like Cass. Hollow, the mines, and the Deepcroft?

Teknoman

New post from Yoshi in the 9/30 thread on the JP side:

プロデューサ/ディレクタの吉田です。

スレッド閉鎖の声も頂いていますので、明日Repとも話して閉鎖しようと思います。

が、その前にちょっとだけ書き込みを。
開発はこの週末の連休も、全力でリリースに向けて頑張ってくれていました。
さすがに疲労の色が濃いので、今日は久しぶりに、QAチームも、開発もお休みして貰いました。
(逆にミスが怖い時期ですので)
その分、各データに対して吉田が、最後のバランス確認と非常に小さな数値調整を
かけることにしました(数値見始めると、こだわっちゃう性格で…)。
もう残り日数も少ないので、本当にこだわる部分だけですが。

開発でお客様からお金を頂き、それが我々のお給料に変換されている以上、
スケジュールの遅延は、本来あってはならないのは重々承知しています。
特に今回は以前のレターに記載させて頂いたとおり、元々9月末が最速かつ死守目標だったので、
物量から考えれば、開発チームにもQAチームにも、Locチームにも、運営チームにも、
かなり無理をお願いしてしまったなと、ちょっと反省しています。

しかも、ゲームだからこそ「少しでも面白くするために」という、
「ゴールが無い目標」に向かって、仕様の改変や追加、調整が発生します。
そして「どうしてもあとこれだけ実装させてほしい!」という開発の熱意に、
吉田は割合、甘い人間です。

もちろん「それは絶対スケジュール破綻するからダメ!」と言うものもありますし、
数時間単位までタスク分解できていないとか、ガントチャートに分解できてないとダメ、とか、
かなり制限はかけますが「それでも土日出て来てでも、やらせてほしい」という
開発者の気合いと根性は、やっぱり大好きなのです。

それは、お客様に「少しでも面白いと思って貰えるものをお届けする」ことも、
ゲーム開発者にとって、スケジュールと等しく、お給料を貰っている上で、
とても大切なことだからです。

その天秤には、毎回胃が痛くなるほど悩まされるのですが、
パッチ1.19については、明日リリース日を確定できると思います。
(サーバのメモリを飛ばしてしまうようなクリティカルなバグが、いきなり見つからない限りは…)
これほどギリギリまで迷うことも珍しいのですが、
データとにらめっこしながら、もう10数時間悩ませてください。

皆さんのご期待に少しでも応えられるよう、
開発もQAチームも、運営チームも突っ走っていますので、
もう少々お待ち下さい

Anyone wanna give it a try?

It's funny to think that Squenix first started talking about "Rapture", the game which would become FFXIV, back in 2005. Between 2005 and 2011, Epic Games has finished and released Gears of War 1, 2, and 3. Squenix product development cycle really needs to improve. A lot.

I actually wonder if FF Versus XIII actually will come out this decade or if we'll have to wait until the 2020's.

Allard

Unknown Soldier said:
It's funny to think that Squenix first started talking about "Rapture", the game which would become FFXIV, back in 2005. Between 2005 and 2011, Epic Games has finished and released Gears of War 1, 2, and 3. Squenix product development cycle really needs to improve. A lot.

I actually wonder if FF Versus XIII actually will come out this decade or if we'll have to wait until the 2020's.

I know Square-enix has some internal issues with development, I don't know all details other then its happening/happened, but FFXIV is probably the only one I assumed was going to take longer, in fact it released earlier then I thought it would, and we all know how that turned out. MMORPGs take an absolute ton of time to develop properly. Design the engine, design the terrain, design for content you want to release 1-2 years after the release, all with a base game that is 5-6 times the size of a single player game and with a ton of different factors that need to be balanced for (Mass amount of people vs single player balancing). So 3 single player games vs an MMORPG is really not a fair analogy. If anything they need to stop announcing things that are still in the concept phase and they know it likely won't come out for 2-3+ years. Versus was clearly just a proof of concept and outside of that video they made, the damn thing probably had like no development on it. Then we had all the problems with them making a tool set and then realizing they actually needed a unified engine and not a tool set etc. The whole development cycle this gen has just been a long stream of fuckups and lessons for them. Hopefully they are lessons learned for the future.

Teknoman

At least Yoshi-P seems to have his head on straight...more or less. Hes going down the right path, and if he and the new team can pull this off...maybe that'll mean more Yoshi-P headed projects in the future.

Jinko

Yea I think what he meant is he would announce the day of the patch tomorrow not that tomorrow would be the patch day.

I was using goggle translate and we all know how well that works :p

Edit: seems like the patch was delayed due to a critical bug.

Edit: or not, the post/thread was removed lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom