• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Allard said:
I know Square-enix has some internal issues with development, I don't know all details other then its happening/happened, but FFXIV is probably the only one I assumed was going to take longer, in fact it released earlier then I thought it would, and we all know how that turned out. MMORPGs take an absolute ton of time to develop properly. Design the engine, design the terrain, design for content you want to release 1-2 years after the release, all with a base game that is 5-6 times the size of a single player game and with a ton of different factors that need to be balanced for (Mass amount of people vs single player balancing). So 3 single player games vs an MMORPG is really not a fair analogy. If anything they need to stop announcing things that are still in the concept phase and they know it likely won't come out for 2-3+ years. Versus was clearly just a proof of concept and outside of that video they made, the damn thing probably had like no development on it. Then we had all the problems with them making a tool set and then realizing they actually needed a unified engine and not a tool set etc. The whole development cycle this gen has just been a long stream of fuckups and lessons for them. Hopefully they are lessons learned for the future.

People always forget that size of the team is a very important factor. Looking at the development time alone tells you nothing.

The really talented teams produce some fantastic results in 5 years (or more) but with only 30 (seriously.... 30) people. I have to take my hat off to Team Ico and Remedy Entertainment.

The main problem I see with SE this gen is that they were revealing games and project codenames before their main engine was complete, and then it took more than another year after that to finish said engine, then they went about customizing the engine for each game. A lot of these games announced or revealed back in '05/'06 didn't even get to proper development until '07/'08.

djplaeskool said:
The main problem I see with SE this gen is that they were revealing games and project codenames before their main engine was complete, and then it took more than another year after that to finish said engine, then they went about customizing the engine for each game. A lot of these games announced or revealed back in '05/'06 didn't even get to proper development until '07/'08.

And I hear they are working on another engine again! They seemingly decided to acquire the western companies to get additional help and ideas on how to proceed with new engines.

staticneuron said:
And I hear they are working on another engine again! They seemingly decided to acquire the western companies to get additional help and ideas on how to proceed with new engines.

Indeed.
Hearing that they are working with Eidos Montreal and IO Interactive to create Luminous Studio is good. Very, very good.

Anyways, back on topic, parts of the FFXIV-verse are waiting with bated breath for further news regarding the update. Hope to hear soon.

Edit:
Looking at Yoshi-P's post, in context, it looks like tomorrow will be the announcement of the release date, not the release date itself. He's apologizing for the lack of more concrete information, and is asking the populace to wait another half-day or so (which would be tomorrow JST)
They found a critical bug that would cause server-side memory problems, and will need more time to iron out.
Also notes that he enjoys and is inspired by the "fighting spirit" shown by development and localization teams in working to get everything in this patch up and running, some members even forgoing the fact that it is a holiday weekend to come in and get work done.

Ravidrath

Unknown Soldier said:
It's funny to think that Squenix first started talking about "Rapture", the game which would become FFXIV, back in 2005. Between 2005 and 2011, Epic Games has finished and released Gears of War 1, 2, and 3. Squenix product development cycle really needs to improve. A lot.

I actually wonder if FF Versus XIII actually will come out this decade or if we'll have to wait until the 2020's.

Eh, they really aren't comparable.

First, we're comparing one MMO to three comparatively small-scale projects.

Second, we don't know how long Gears of War was being prototyped before it was in full production. For all we know, it could have had a skeleton team of a year or more doing basic prototyping and planning before it was actually greenlit.

Japanese development generally goes a LONG time with a small staff compared to U.S. development, and then they throw a ton of artists on at the end the crank it out - it's more or less based on the anime production method.

Here, we generally do just enough pre-pro to get the game greenlit, and then staff up every department for the entire project for a shorter amount of time overall. It's faster, but it's also more expensive and riskier - it's more or less based on Hollywood production methods.

Also, the generational transition obviously is going to impact a Japanese, content-driven company like Square more than a technology-driven U.S. company. Gears of War's engine was ready for prototyping from moment one, while the XIV team had to wait on an engine.

I've heard industry murmurs that the XIV team was angry with the XIII team for taking so long, actually - they were supposed to use some fundaments of the XIII engine, and because it took longer to get out than planned, they had to do everything in a lot less time and compress the plan accordingly.

Ravidrath said:
Second, we don't know how long Gears of War was being prototyped before it was in full production. For all we know, it could have had a skeleton team of a year or more doing basic prototyping and planning before it was actually greenlit.

Started work on game as far back as 2003 if I am not mistaken.

Ravidrath said:
Japanese development generally goes a LONG time with a small staff compared to U.S. development, and then they throw a ton of artists on at the end the crank it out - it's more or less based on the anime production method.

Here, we generally do just enough pre-pro to get the game greenlit, and then staff up every department for the entire project for a shorter amount of time overall. It's faster, but it's also more expensive and riskier - it's more or less based on Hollywood production methods.

I think this is what alot of japanese devs were referring to when they claimed they were falling behind the west but imo, if they try to raise the stakes a flop would be more devastating to the smaller houses than some of the big leaders.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
lol, what is with all these people on the official forums thinking the release date of the patch is today.

When will people learn to not trust google translate lmao

Jinko

The game is really starting to take shape, hats off to Yoshi-p hes doing a good job.

If the game had released in this state it would have done much better.

They still need to focus on better party search functions though, its hugely lacking for an MMO.

Edit:- That fight actually looks like something out of WoW (which is a good thing IMO) the exploding lava is a nice touch, where he disappears and skewers someone and i have no idea what those burning swords in the ground are but I'm sure they can't be good.

Finally a fight where people have to keep their wits about them.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Well, the game is 20$ at a local shop, and it's still free to play, so I'm considering giving it a shot.

Controls well with mouse+keyboard now, right?

Moobabe

I have no motivation to load this back up :( The low levels are pretty lonely and the grind is a bit much. I don't mind grinding, don't get me wrong, but the environments don't facilitate grinding - I know it's a tired argument but if the environments were diverse I wouldn't mind spending time in them doing nothing.

Jinko

Lyphen said:
Well, the game is 20$ at a local shop, and it's still free to play, so I'm considering giving it a shot.

Controls well with mouse+keyboard now, right?

Yea kb/m is good now, needs a bit more work but light years better than it was.

Coldsnap

OMG Ifrit Battle looks awesome! He looks like he hits really hard and has crazy aoe.

REEEEEEEEEEEENTAAAAAAAA MAAAAAAAAAAAKIIIIIIIIIII SHIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO LILLLLLLYYYYYYYYYYYY

Teknoman

Moobabe said:
I have no motivation to load this back up :( The low levels are pretty lonely and the grind is a bit much. I don't mind grinding, don't get me wrong, but the environments don't facilitate grinding - I know it's a tired argument but if the environments were diverse I wouldn't mind spending time in them doing nothing.

Just wait till 1.19 with exp chains and everything else...or what level are you? There seem to still be a decent amount of people running around level 10-20.

EDIT: Think im gonna make gifs.

Moobabe

Teknoman said:
Just wait till 1.19 with exp chains and everything else...or what level are you? There seem to still be a decent amount of people running around level 10-20.

EDIT: Think im gonna make gifs.

It's not so much the grinding that does it - I just wish the environments, as good looking as they are, had a bit more variety. That is my main problem with the game - I have no motivation to explore and that's why I play MMOs I guess.

Teknoman

Moobabe said:
It's not so much the grinding that does it - I just wish the environments, as good looking as they are, had a bit more variety. That is my main problem with the game - I have no motivation to explore and that's why I play MMOs I guess.

In that case yeah, you might have to wait awhile. 1.19 is going to add some more variety i'm sure, but until the real map changes, we'll probably just get structures and new enemies built onto exisiting landscapes. Dunno what the new low level public dungeon will look like though/ what level the beast tribe settlement raids will be.

Coldsnap said:
I wanna tank Ifrit... since I am the only Gladiator in our group?

Depends on what the differences between the rank 30 and rank 50 fights are.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Can the game not alt-tab?

Okay, so just in terms of simple interface and usability stuff, this game has a lot to do. No configuration in-game. Worst account management ever. I'm afraid to continue!

Teknoman

iMTm0ShpJz3nm.gif

Teknoman

Metalmurphy said:
Where's that from Teknoman?

I should really resume my lvling... but... Battlefield 3!!!
I thought someone already posted it?

Upcoming Ifrit Battle preview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXG7yfI8Eng&feature=player_embedded

iif8WM1xnhned.gif

Ravidrath might've been onto something with the light in the background. Also...could this mean the destruction of some of the aetherytes, or at least competition to have control over certain crystals (like the outpost conquest in XI)?

Also 1.19 hits the same day as Dark Souls and RAGE. Guess I know what i'll be doing while waiting on that huge download to finish.

Moobabe

Teknoman said:
In that case yeah, you might have to wait awhile. 1.19 is going to add some more variety i'm sure, but until the real map changes, we'll probably just get structures and new enemies built onto exisiting landscapes. Dunno what the new low level public dungeon will look like though/ what level the beast tribe settlement raids will be.

Having more structures and NPCs into the existing landscape would be nice for sure - and certainly would break up the monotony a bit. Some dungeons and quests would be nice as well - it's a shame because I like a lot about the game - I enjoy the crafting, the music, the graphics and the "feel" of the game, as obtuse as that is.

Jinko

Lyphen said:

Okay, so just in terms of simple interface and usability stuff, this game has a lot to do. No configuration in-game. Worst account management ever. I'm afraid to continue!

Yea these are minor inconveniences once you have them set up you can just leave them, but I agree its enough to put anyone off before they even start.

They really need to sort that payment stuff out.

Edit: @ Tek he doesn't destroy it whatever he is using absorbs the aetherial gate and uses its power as a weapon, notice how the gate disappears before he fires the weapon.

I guess it could be party of the story to remove the aetherial gates though as we will have chocobos now so they aren't needed as much and Yoshi did say he would re examine teleportation and anima cost once chocobo's and airships were added.

Teknoman

iby6Hoqq8z5CUj.gif

Jinko said:
Edit: @ Tek he doesn't destroy it whatever he is using absorbs the aetherial gate and uses its power as a weapon, notice how the gate disappears before he fires the weapon.

I guess it could be party of the story to remove the aetherial gates though as we will have chocobos now so they aren't needed as much and Yoshi did say he would re examine teleportation and anima cost once chocobo's and airships were added.

Oh yeah, you're right about that. Of course they'd have to change up how you activate leves for those gates too.

ib0I2mEcavDCk7.gif

iMbolC0gQbDmw.gif

EDIT: More about 1.19 Grand Company changes -

Resident well dressed Malboro said:
I appreciate your patience (?) while we worked to get a response on this issue for everyone!

Are there plans to adjust the purchasable items offered by Grand Companies (for example, PUG weapons are in Gridania, but their guild is in Ul'dah)? I am unsure where items will ultimately end up, so I am afraid to join a Grand Company... I also feel like I have to join a specific company just because of their rewards. AHHHHH HELP!
A lot of people were worried about this, so Triary spoke with Yoshida regarding this issue.

We plan to continuously make adjustments as needed based on your feedback on wanting to be able to trade items. Therefore, please don't worry about what city-state has what guild or which items can or cannot be traded, and simply join the Grand Company which appeals to you the most after you hear their speeches in 1.19!

Also here's a good place to address the ability to earn more seals...
Can we obtain company seals through Grand Company leves?
Yep, players will be able to obtain company seals in Grand Company leves that will be implemented in 1.19.

Teknoman

Some translated info from the new Famitsu:

Some info from Connect Magazine:

The main thing (in the magazine)
YoshiP interview 2 pages
Run down of content changes until now
Dzhamel Hold strategy journal.

From the Interview

Materia Craft
There are total of 7 position/parts for materia, thinking of overall parameters
generally only for items crafter has made.

Beastmen Stronghold
- It isn't instance, is end public field - can be done with more than 1 party but for making sure you don't have to wait for pops or fighting over chest pops.
- But if its 1 party it will be even (difficulty) or little bit hard
- There is beastmen hold to fight true Ifreet battle, Ifreet itself is pretty hard (for R50)

- With 1.19 the re-pop timer will be shorter

Grand Company
- There isn't much difference on which country you enlist in, just varies in how the event is viewed (cut scene)
- To avoid one country getting too much enlistment, making it so depending on number of enlistee the company bonus changing.
- It doesn't mean you can't switch (grand company) later on, later we are looking to adding "Free Company" where you can join optionally
- When everyone from same company you get bonus as well as when you have 3 different countries grand company members
- Adding a content where you can obtain company seals over time, however if you don't get a higher rank the amount (CS) you obtain will not increase.
- Rank: Once obtaining award, must take a test to rank up, currently it's hard to go higher than warrant officer?
- after 1.20 be able to trade company seals for chocobo gear, planning to release in future chocobo gear which crafters can make.
- If you work hard in grand company it will effect in Lodestone

Fighter
- With action adjustments there shouldn't be a class that gets obscured...i think
- Although there will be some restrictions, the current feature where if you have other classes raised it will be more beneficial wont be changed.
- For battle regimen want to change it from the style where you can use it anytime/anywhere, want to make it like super move.

Job
- 1 class 1 job
- For supporting job/class the exp is shared, when changing to the job the exp gained will go into the class so you can change job easily
- for job change if the class is level 30 you can clear the quest.
- After there will be quests every 5 levels, with each quest clear be able to learn new action or obtain specific gear

Other
- Want to make guardian aspect more sacred, with leve changes in 1.19 would like to look into this one
- For example add a game like feature where in each country inn go into /pray pose and logging out and when coming back gaining more guardian aspect
- Grand Company Leve can be stacked till 99 just like guild leve's
- planning to be able to item search in the retainer search.

Gatherer
- Have ideas to change from the base structure but might take some time
- Would like to change what you obtain depending on the status
- For fishing planning a different feature other than gathering or crafting, no making it more action based but making it where you have to decide more on the lure's or feeds you use.

UI
- For action memorization - was really testing till last minute so might not make it in 1.19 (might go to 1.19a)
- Interviewee "Everyone reading this knows the result then (laugh)

YoshiP
- with 1.18 patch wasn't expecting the players feeling "can't cast cure as much" learned how much the game was being run with this type of situation.
- Would like to continue by being able to work with players and keeping relationship
- Till the goal it's still about 50% if this game wasn't already 1 year since release could say int with pride but....
- Dev team has good feeling/surrounding (good teamwork)
- In 1.19 there will be a character that speaks the poem which made my name to be called "poekichi"

Munba

- For fishing planning a different feature other than gathering or crafting, no making it more action based but making it where you have to decide more on the lure's or feeds you use.

This made me sad. :(

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Coldsnap said:
OMG Ifrit Battle looks awesome! He looks like he hits really hard and has crazy aoe.

REEEEEEEEEEEENTAAAAAAAA MAAAAAAAAAAAKIIIIIIIIIII SHIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO LILLLLLLYYYYYYYYYYYY
Renta signal shines rightly in the Eorzean sky.

Coldsnap said:
I wanna tank Ifrit... since I am the only Gladiator in our group?
Yeah, we gotta try out different strategies to see what works best. GLA might work well in the beginning since it has the most defense, but I want to try tank on MRD too for a bit. For the 1.18 R45 dungeon MRD tanking worked out the best, but there's no guarantee it'll be the same for this new stuff, especially with the changes.

Coldsnap said:
i has an erection
I can take care of that for you.

Munba said:
This made me sad. :(
Yeah, give me Twilight Princess fishing, please.

Jinko

"planning to be able to item search in the retainer search."

Yes finally .. lol

50% wow they have a shit load of changes in store then, game could eventually turn out to be quite good.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Lyphen said:

Let us know what your in-game name is

Teknoman

So I got the new XIV controller a few miniutes ago, and its pretty well made. Feels nice, controls are responsive, and the d-pad isnt all mushy lol. However, I cant figure out how to get vibration to work. Even after pressing the button in game and feeling the controller shake. Of course it could be just a case of re-checking the enable vibration in the config menu to make the game recognize a new controller setting?

EDIT: Heh think I have to install the drivers. Here goes nothing, hopefully they fixed other issues people had.

kiryogi

Banned
Goddamn that Ifrit battle looks insane. I hope one day to achieve rank high enough to take it on XD Oh well, first things first. Work on getting a bird. 1.19 here we go!

Teknoman

Chiave said:
Those .gifs make FFXIV look like a proper MMO

Its on its way...the hard part is the wait/ the fact it took a year after what they went through with XI.

EDIT: After installing controller drivers -

Vibration is kinda weak. You feel it when you get hit/do a critical hit...but its not as strong as you'd expect from your average controller. Its a great pad, just with weak force feedback...for XIV anyway. Seems decently strong outside the game/whenever you activate the vibration function. Might be adjustable once the new config settings hit in 1.19.

Ravidrath

Teknoman said:
Its on its way...the hard part is the wait/ the fact it took a year after what they went through with XI.

EDIT: After installing controller drivers -

Vibration is kinda weak. You feel it when you get hit/do a critical hit...but its not as strong as you'd expect from your average controller. Its a great pad, just with weak force feedback...for XIV anyway. Seems decently strong outside the game/whenever you activate the vibration function. Might be adjustable once the new config settings hit in 1.19.

I couldn't get the vibration to work, even with the drivers.

Let me know if you get any blue screens or reboots, though - I installed the drivers only a week or two ago, so I doubt they're different versions.

Ravidrath

Londa said:
That video....

If there is more of this coming to FFXIV I would try to play it again.

They said they're currently prepping the second Primal Battle, so... yes, I think you can expect lots of that moving forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom