• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Once we beat down the Amaljaa god, the other deities are in for more hurt later. That'll learn them to worship false gods.

It's like Xenogears all over again.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Rentahamster said:
Let us know what your in-game name is
Sailyphe Tursorr

I probably won't play until the next patch. It's bad, even at the meager price I paid. I have no idea what I'm doing and the in-game 'tutorial' and Adventurer Book or whatever it's called isn't very helpful. What the hell is up with the first 20 minutes of this game? Cutscenes and then they throw you up against enemies that don't fight back so it looks like a honky mime show.

Teknoman

Lyphen said:
Sailyphe Tursorr

I probably won't play until the next patch. It's bad, even at the meager price I paid. I have no idea what I'm doing and the in-game 'tutorial' and Adventurer Book or whatever it's called isn't very helpful. What the hell is up with the first 20 minutes of this game? Cutscenes and then they throw you up against enemies that don't fight back so it looks like a honky mime show.

Talk to everyone like you would in a normal RPG. The in game tutorial basically introduces the citystate you chose as your home, then throws you into a battle. Afterwards, just talk to all the npcs in the area until you find the person to progress...either that or just go to a certain point on the mini map and the game should ask if you want to continue.

The "main" npc of that city's adventurer's guild will then talk to you and give you a few things to do to get you oriented. Looking at your quests in your quest list, there should be an option to check the map for that quest's specific locations. If you just treat it like a normal RPG, you'll be fine.

Thats one thing I will say I like about S-E's online efforts. They try to bring more of the standard console RPG into the game. Granted XIV still needs improving in that aspect.

Dunno why the enemies wouldnt fight you...they did a few moves on me in the beginning. They are going to completely redo the intro tutorials with one of the patches in the near future though...possible with an intro dungeon.

Rentahamster said:
Once we beat down the Amaljaa god, the other deities are in for more hurt later. That'll learn them to worship false gods.

It's like Xenogears all over again.

I'm playing Xenogears right now...the messed up part is that it's completely yanked me away from Persona 2: Innocent Sin. Game is awesome...and the plot is pretty interesting.

I dunno if they'll try to pull a Promathia again though.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Lyphen said:
Sailyphe Tursorr

Yeah, the beginning is really rough. If you want to do the story stuff, I'd recommend Uldah or Gridania over Limsa. The Limsa story line makes you run all over the place it's ridiculous.

Check the lodestone for info on how to play, or the new player help on the forums. FFxivcore and ffxiv zam also have info on the forums too.

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/rc/personal/home

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/...=&pp=20&daysprune=-1&sort=lastpost&order=desc

The entry level is fairly obtuse, you need to play around with it a little before you get used to it. Let us know if you give it another try so we can give you a pearl and assist. It's not so bad.

Ravidrath

Londa said:
Does this mean we are getting summoner?

I don't know... I really hope so, but it seems unlikely that it'd work with the Primals. They all seem to be pretty enormous. But maybe they could be 2H-type flash summons, ala Alexander and Odin in XI.

But maybe there are some "lesser Primals" that could be summoned? The intro shows a ton of them escaping the Garlean airship after Bahamut crushes it, so there might be some along the lines of Carbuncle, Siren, etc. that would be more reasonably sized and aren't big enough to justify beastman worship.

Teknoman

Another bit about Chocobo Naming:

A few of you have been asking if your chocobo's name will be visible to others and I have been told that when you mount and dismount it will be displayed in the log, so players around you will know your chocobo’s name.

Eccocid

With high vit and evasion gear, can pugs tank good?

A few times i tanked raptors at around r45 and above and haven't had much problem tho taunt recast is too long and i didn't have any other ability to get the hate again.

But i wonder how would it work in more serious battles. Haven't done r45 raid yet.

jiggle

i read that pug is pretty good for tanking ogre

really cool ifrit vid
i wonder how are the thm/conj getting 2000+hp and 1500+mp

so with this update
they are actually forcing us to align with one of the grand companies?
hard to choose...

Londa

Banned
Teknoman said:
iby6Hoqq8z5CUj.gif

Reminds me of FF7 with Sephiroth walking into fire.

Jinko

i wonder how are the thm/conj getting 2000+hp and 1500+mp

Stats are auto allocated in patch 1.19 (until they re-add distribution) plus they have redone all the stat calculations so it looks like gear and materia will make a massive different on MP and HP amongst other stuff.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I still don't understand what the target types (A B C and Direct Targeting) are, and no website seems to have the information. Game does a completely shit job at explaining things. No hover info anywhere. :(

You'd also think that with a quad core and 4GB of RAM it wouldn't chug in empty cities. Why's it only using 500MB? My browser uses more.

Also, some UI elements seem to be low-rez, like item icons in the character screen and the menu icons at the bottom left. Is that a problem on my end with settings?

Lyphen said:
I still don't understand what the target types (A B C and Direct Targeting) are, and no website seems to have the information.

Targeting Mode A:
Up/Down: Cycle through party members
Left/Right: Cycle through active/enemy targets

Targeting Mode B:
Up/Down: Change target filter (Active/Party)
Left/Right: Cycle through targets based on filter selected

Targeting Mode C:
All targets

Direct Targeting:
When active, the system will automatically select the target directly in front of you and activate the confirm command if no target is selected.

TeK-DeLorean

Neo Member
IonicSnake said:
oh ffs, reinstalling
also, letter from the producer live on youtube?

FINAL FANTASY XIV will celebrate its one-year anniversary on September 30th!

To celebrate FINAL FANTASY XIV’s one-year anniversary, we are presenting “Letter from the Producer LIVE,” a special live edition(*) of the Letter from the Producer on YouTube Live.

During this live broadcast, Producer/Director Naoki Yoshida will be answering various questions sent by players around the globe. Be sure not to miss this special opportunity to hear the words on the future of FINAL FANTASY XIV straight from the producer’s mouth!

More specific details will be announced at a later date.

* “Letter from the Producer LIVE” is scheduled to air on October 4th, 2011 at 5:00 PDT.

Pretty dope, I love this Yoshi P fellow.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Time to focus on getting my ARC up finally. I would always get distracted with various crafting/gathering stuff, but ARC is my main. That bow. :| Actually, all that loot is pretty sick nasty looking.

Jinko

Riposte said:
There is a rank 30 fight right? I wonder what the drops are that one, since I'll be doing only that one.

There is a rank 30 and rank 50 fight, duno how they are guna work that into the story, maybe he comes back for a second kicking.

Jinko

Presenting the Letter from the Producer on YouTube Live! (09/28/2011)
FINAL FANTASY XIV will celebrate its one-year anniversary on September 30th!

To celebrate FINAL FANTASY XIV’s one-year anniversary, we are presenting “Letter from the Producer LIVE,” a special live edition(*) of the Letter from the Producer on YouTube Live.

During this live broadcast, Producer/Director Naoki Yoshida will be answering various questions sent by players around the globe. Be sure not to miss this special opportunity to hear the words on the future of FINAL FANTASY XIV straight from the producer’s mouth!

More specific details will be announced at a later date.

* “Letter from the Producer LIVE” is scheduled to air on October 4th, 2011 at 5:00 PDT.

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/index.html

Teknoman

Lyphen said:
I still don't understand what the target types (A B C and Direct Targeting) are, and no website seems to have the information. Game does a completely shit job at explaining things. No hover info anywhere. :(

You'd also think that with a quad core and 4GB of RAM it wouldn't chug in empty cities. Why's it only using 500MB? My browser uses more.

Also, some UI elements seem to be low-rez, like item icons in the character screen and the menu icons at the bottom left. Is that a problem on my end with settings?

Dunno if you're going to the old main site or the real site:

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/index.html

Should have all the info you need.

lol I like how they put HARD MODE right at the front :p

Damn..dat sword AND axe. lol just decimated Ifrit and stole his body parts ala Monster Hunter. I wonder how the "easy" mode loot will look... since i'm sure I wont have a rank 50 class by then. Dont wanna burn myself out either.

Kandinsky said:
wand looks like shit lol.

Yeah they kinda messed over the mages. Then again you have people that love to run around in subligars...so...yeah. Even so, go Yoshida art design!

Riposte

In a perfect world, they'd instead radiate heat and burn into enemies like a red hot branding iron. Maybe it would have a steam effect and make a sizzling sound.

Teknoman

Riposte said:
In a perfect world, they'd instead radiate heat and burn into enemies like a red hot branding iron. Maybe it would have a steam effect and make a sizzling sound.

I'd take a sizzle sound+normal weapon type impact sound.

EDIT: The lance looks great too. Pugilist weapons are cool, but they could be just a little bit smaller. The bow i'm not bothered with since it looks like it's the same size as the other large bone/carapace based bows.

Ganhyun

So, its good to see that alot of improvements are here and still coming. I played FFXI on my PS2 back in the day. Was interested in this one until all the issues and such were revealed. May eventually make my way back to this game, if The Old Republic doesn't suck me in.

Just giving the list a quick look over it seems like the major changes are the removal of most of the intermediate items that you would need to make before crafting a finished item and the lowering of the yields of basic recipes like yarn and leather. The one thing I took away from it was to make all my cloth and leather before the patch hits. The nice thing is that they changed the step at which items get dyed so I can make it all undyed and not have to worry about it.

Allard

I noticed they also gave us names of some of the new items in that recipe list which is cool. Also these changes make gathering a whole lot more necessary if you want to craft. Lots of raw ingredients just to make the simplest stuff where before as a crafter you could take a small amount and make a ton of base material. Also despite needing to 'simplify' the process they actually made some recipes harder. As a goldsmither I couldn't help but notice the change to all the weaver tool recipes. With a single silver nugget I could make a silver needle, in fact it was a potential leveling recipe (Which reminds me... leveling up is going to get a whole lot more tedious ><... better make those base material lumber before the next patch hits), but the new ones need a silver ingot AND one of those stone you used to use to repair the damn things which I remember being a bitch to get at times.

Honestly though the game needed this change. We had too many items doing too many niche things which made selling things on the market for both crafters and gatherers a measure in frustration. Now crafters have base stuff they all need, and gatherers have less items they need to sell, but they will sell at a higher demand. The real question is how hard leveling up is going to be after this. Most the stuff they removed or changed were actually really nice leveling up recipes. Now you have less synthing to get certain materials for more raw stuff; for actual crafting its a great change, but for leveling it sucks lol.

Teknoman said:
Are steel and mythril items new?

Some items are yeah. Mythril and Steel were both in the game already including in ingot form, but steel had only high end tools that used it and some niche armor, and mythril had like 1 goldsmithing synth; a choker. The mythril circlets are all new. Cobalt stuff is also new. Some electrum recipes are new etc.

Teknoman

I think that armor shown in one of the Ifrit battle cutscene was new then. During that laser beam attack, the player was wearing what looked like white plate armor. Dunno if that was mythril or steel though.

Just to post the main info:

Over the past year, we have conducted several rounds of balance adjustments to intermediary part recipes, focusing on the number of materials required to create an item in relation to the number of items yielded by its recipe. For most items, this meant increasing a recipe’s yield to accommodate the large number of parts required in the crafting of weapons and gear. New recipes introduced in 1.19, however, will no longer require as many materials, meaning that, if left untouched, current intermediary part recipes will yield more items than crafters need. This could lead to an influx of those items in the market, and ultimately end up disrupting the balance of the in-game economy. To counter this, we have gone back to those intermediary part recipes and readjusted both the amount of materials required, as well as the number of items yielded with each successful synthesis.

Copper ingots are not part of any new blacksmithing and armoring recipes, rendering the item obsolete. To ensure that existing materials are not wasted on a no-longer necessary item, potentially affecting the in-game economy in an adverse manner, we have decided to remove the two recipes for copper ingots altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom