• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allard

Ugh just got done reading the whole thing, I knew I should have sold that gold sand ><. Prices on it are going to tank over the weekend... maybe I should take that as a sign to power level my Goldsmith and carpenter this weekend before the patch hits, got lots of logs I need to turn into lumber.

Another nice thing is the simplification of gathering items. Each regions and camps has a specific pool of items including high end stuff that is only available from those regions. Mining Cobalt is exclusive to Limsa Region, Electrum Exclusive to Ul'dah, Mythril Exclusive to Gridania, Coerthas gets a mix of mythril, silver, and electrum. Certain color dyes come from specific regions and from specific tool types.

Also one more thing... wtf are they planning to do with Alchemy after these changes? They got rid of like all its useful items. No more moraines, glues now yield less items for the same effort, and they aren't involved in materia making either.

I think that will be the case for some items. The items listed with "New Recipes" will likely be able to be synthed with those new recipes as well as the old. The ones listed with updated recipes have the same recipes but the results are different. I can't imagine they would let you choose to receive either 1 yarn or 12 yarn from the same recipe lol.

EDIT: Just noticed that some of the "updated" recipes have new ingredients as well, so who knows if the old recipes will still work.

Ravidrath

Looking over some of the crafting changes - this is going to seriously drain items from the economy, which is a good thing. There is a gross overabundance of everything, and this should help a lot with that, especially now that people are going to want more weapons for Materia.

They went farther with removing intermediary items than I expected... I expected a lessening, but they really just got rid of them completely.

Good shit - looking forward to playing with this new stuff.

It's also awesome that they put it out ahead of time, because that means that sites like YG can be completely updated by the time the update hits.

Also, by moving Dark Matter to "Catalyst" - does that mean that Dark Matter is also used to make Materia?

Allard

Ravidrath said:
Looking over some of the crafting changes - this is going to seriously drain items from the economy, which is a good thing. There is a gross overabundance of everything, and this should help a lot with that, especially now that people are going to want more weapons for Materia.

They went farther with removing intermediary items than I expected... I expected a lessening, but they really just got rid of them completely.

Good shit - looking forward to playing with this new stuff.

It's also awesome that they put it out ahead of time, because that means that sites like YG can be completely updated by the time the update hits.

Some of the items they removed draw a big "wtf" from me though, makes me think they removed them only to re-add them later as a higher ranking ingredient. They removed Gold and Platinum and Dark Ores from gathering and usage from all new recipes. I wouldn't be surprised that in 1.20 they out right remove those items in game, only to re-add them again 1-2 major patches later as a higher synth. Same with some of the logs they took out as well.

Ravidrath

Allard said:
Some of the items they removed draw a big "wtf" from me though, makes me think they removed them only to re-add them later as a higher ranking ingredient. They removed Gold and Platinum and Dark Ores from gathering and usage from all new recipes. I wouldn't be surprised that in 1.20 they out right remove those items in game, only to re-add them again 1-2 major patches later as a higher synth. Same with some of the logs they took out as well.

Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing.

The number of removed items is pretty staggering, though.

MightyKAC

Ok, a question for anyone with the time to answer it. It's been a year since the games release and in that year I keep hearing all the negative things about this game. The bad reviews, the apologies from its producers the general discontent from the players ETC. Yet every time I check the community page here it still looks like folks are playing and in decent numbers as well.

So I guess the question part in all this is: Is the game worth it to play?

Is it fun? Would the $20 I'd spend on Amazon to try this out be worth it? What's the deal? Why are all you guys still here?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
MightyKAC said:
Ok, a question for anyone with the time to answer it. It's been a year since the games release and in that year I keep hearing all the negative things about this game. The bad reviews, the apologies from its producers the general discontent from the players ETC. Yet every time I check the community page here it still looks like folks are playing and in decent numbers as well.

So I guess the question part in all this is: Is the game worth it to play?

Is it fun? Would the $20 I'd spend on Amazon to try this out be worth it? What's the deal? Why are all you guys still here?
Honestly, at this point it just seems to me that you really gotta try it out for yourself to see if you're gonna like it or not. Of all the folks who have jumped in recently there wasn't really any discernible pattern as to who liked it and who didn't. It's just up to individual taste.

Before you spend 20 bucks, you might want to see if you can score a free buddy pass. That will get you a free account.

I'm still here because our group is one of the top performers of the server. We've accomplished pretty much all there is in the game and have been one of the first on the server to complete new content. Plus, it's fun messing around with people whom we've played with for a year now.

Basically, for the people who've stuck around, we've got a lot invested, so there's more incentive to stick around. For new people it's harder, since they haven't accomplished much, and it seems like too much of a chore to advance enough to the point where they can join us in end game content.

MightyKAC

Rentahamster said:
Honestly, at this point it just seems to me that you really gotta try it out for yourself to see if you're gonna like it or not. Of all the folks who have jumped in recently there wasn't really any discernible pattern as to who liked it and who didn't. It's just up to individual taste.

Before you spend 20 bucks, you might want to see if you can score a free buddy pass. That will get you a free account.

I'm still here because our group is one of the top performers of the server. We've accomplished pretty much all there is in the game and have been one of the first on the server to complete new content. Plus, it's fun messing around with people whom we've played with for a year now.

Basically, for the people who've stuck around, we've got a lot invested, so there's more incentive to stick around. For new people it's harder, since they haven't accomplished much, and it seems like too much of a chore to advance enough to the point where they can join us in end game content.

Thanks for the input. I'll look around and see if I can score that buddy pass as I've been interested in this game since it came out but all the bad press surrounding it has kept me away and was wondering if it was worth it to jump in.

Jinko

Poor Alchemist all their synths have been changed to 1 item, what a fucking time sink that's guna be.

Granted it will make items less common but screwed if I'm synthing 12 times to make 12 glues 12 times. (I wonder if the amount of XP will be effected per synth)

And are they seriously going to remove all those Items not Used in New Recipes, talk about over kill.

Liking the changes to mining and gathering, should be much easier to farm cotton and flax now.

Ravidrath

Teknoman said:
Hey Ravidrath, when were you going to try to tackle the level 30 dungeon (Toto-Rak) again? Before or after the new patch?

I was going to try and do it this weekend.

...But that was before the logic board on my laptop died, and I doubt I can get a replacement before the update is live. :\

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm not disliking leveling pure ARC, but my gear is poo and I can't seem to figure out how to make enough gil to upgrade. Suggestions?

E: And I really don't want to level a gathering/crafting job at the moment. I'd love to try and hit R50 before 1.9. ^.^

Teknoman

All I can say is look for side quests, do leves, and sell extra stuff you get from monsters/crystals. Crystals are always the easiest way to make gil since you seem to get shards/whole crystals from everything.

Rawk Hawk

Gathering truly is a gold mine, other option is pick out the gear you want and seek out a crafter in the LS to help make it. That's always cheaper and generally someone is able to help.

Crafting leves are a good way to get items to sell as well, LittleTokyo (Uncle Dude) use to do leatherworking leves just to sell the skins.

Allard

Rawk Hawk said:
Gathering truly is a gold mine, other option is pick out the gear you want and seek out a crafter in the LS to help make it. That's always cheaper and generally someone is able to help.

Crafting leves are a good way to get items to sell as well, LittleTokyo (Uncle Dude) use to do leatherworking leves just to sell the skins.

Gathering is going to be an even huger gold mine after next update too. Materia Catalysts, less material but more emphasis on specific items (which for the most part only come from gathering after the next patch) which means the need for a constant supply is going to be escalated, dyes now come from specific gathering professions instead of the type of dye. As a miner that is rank 40 that is awesome, but I am still pissed at them removing gold from all the new recipes which means they are getting phased out. Maybe if the new recipes mean a huge gil sink for plvling stuff, gold will come back in fashion for a short while till the nugget and ring recipes are completely eviscerated :eek:.

Also next update will give combat players another possible source of income by selling materia to crafters/market. They wear them out, make materia and sell it to the highest bidder as long as they don't mind grinding out a bond constantly.

Teknoman

Ravidrath said:
Woo, logic board lives!

One of my RAM sticks died, so I'm still in business.

So, Toto-Rak on Saturday or Sunday?

Depends on evening or night. I'd like to go to, if you guys could go Saturday or Sunday night, that would be cool.

MightyKAC said:
Thanks for the input. I'll look around and see if I can score that buddy pass as I've been interested in this game since it came out but all the bad press surrounding it has kept me away and was wondering if it was worth it to jump in.

I have my buddy pass from the CE and I'm pretty sure it hasn't been used. Lemme know if you want it.

As for Toto-rak there was someone asking last night for people to do it, Isamu Nakazato I think.

jiggle

did they remove all the new weaver recipes?
can't find them on list anymore??

edit: kinda bummed all the colored linen clothes i made recently just became useless :/
and have to waste another 2 hours to make a bunch of plain ones now

Ravidrath

The dyeing changes aren't what I had hoped for, really.

I wish you just made an uncolored thing, and then could dye it however you wanted. There are HQ issues with that, I guess, but it's certainly a lot more flexible.

Would also be cool if there was a bleach to go along with the above plan.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Ravidrath said:
The dyeing changes aren't what I had hoped for, really.

I wish you just made an uncolored thing, and then could dye it however you wanted. There are HQ issues with that, I guess, but it's certainly a lot more flexible.

Would also be cool if there was a bleach to go along with the above plan.
Yeah, I can see how perhaps they want people to not just use their same item over and over again if they want different colors, in order to get people to have to make or buy more stuff.

But

When trying to HQ colored stuff, you're gonna need HQ dye, and it just seems like the effort to making HQ colored gear is disproportionately harder than making uncolored gear, when it really shouldn't be.

Teknoman

Ravidrath said:
Sunday night sounds good to me.

Anyone else?

I know there were a few on the LS that wanted in/just to do it again. Probably better to ask online.

jTO0Zdb473N9J.jpg

jnVREc1FqAx1Q.jpg

jJtX3qz6COL68.jpg

jGmjuANK3NhQ.jpg

jwGhCPcsCmwD3.jpg

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Whoa whoa, what's the screenshot button? So many things I don't know. :<

I've mostly just been wandering around for 20 minutes or so per day. I still haven't found a place that isn't a desert.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Lyphen said:

I've mostly just been wandering around for 20 minutes or so per day. I still haven't found a place that isn't a desert.
Post when you are online, or send a tell to one of the following for a pearl:

Renta Hamster
Shiori Aran
Lily Vraminica
King Lala
Teknoman Blade

Ravidrath

Rentahamster said:
Yeah, I can see how perhaps they want people to not just use their same item over and over again if they want different colors, in order to get people to have to make or buy more stuff.

Well, if they made the bleach like Dark Matter and primarily come from NPCs, it could be a great gilsink.

Is it nice that the dyes are all-purpose now, instead of being tied to specific armor and material types, too.

Lyphen said:

Hold scroll lock then press print screen for the built in screenshot function. Fraps will take better screenshots though.

Jinko

Riposte said:
Actually, I think all they would need to do is add repair NPCs to camps. Maybe make it conditional.

75% repairs still isn't good enough from the NPC, kind of wish they would make repairs NPC only at this point, its kind of a time sink waiting to get fixed especially if you need it fixed fast.

Jinko

Only managed to get 1/3 of the way through so far but really liking the new leve changes, airship cost based on level is a nice touch also.

This is the first patch where i can honestly say they have been working their asses off.

So cool that enemies can now call for help if you out level it.

Not sure I like the idea of the NM's showing up on the mini map.

Good if you are farming something on your own, not so great if you have loads of people wanting the same monster .. :S

Allard

I'm only halfway down the list but if everything is going to work as described in the patch notes, the game is going to have a night and day difference after the patch hits. Lots of new content, lots of new features to existing content that adds more strategy (The EXP bonus changes alone are going to make grinding a lot more fun and rewarding, not to mention linking and the new claiming system). Even if there is less new quests added, the actual changes to the structure of the game and its systems are going to be enough to revitalize this game for a while. Hopefully they keep it up and keep people around longer then the last major patch.

Londa

Banned
what the... wow @ patch notes... I guess I may check out the game after the update... Chocobo's and Airships have been one of my main complaints.

Teknoman

Yeah i'm pretty content with all the changes and updates in the next patch. Didnt think Ifrit would be Grand Company quest related, but hey I get to do something at a lower rank, so thats cool.

The only thing i'm sorta indifferent about is removing guard as a command, but it gives you the ability to really see the difference between all the shields in game. Everything (enemies included) seeing an attribute boost/adjustment is cool, and I hope the new dungeon for low levels isnt just flooded by high level people.

It should be a good place for low level parties to get exp and items...not to mention a Couerl.

The way they are working in exp chains and experience points from stronger enemies...hopefully this makes fighting a variety of enemies worthwhile. And there is still a chance more things could be added with the official day of patch notes release.

But if we fighting Ifrit with the Grand Company quest, does that mean the official story continues via GC quests? Or is it that Ifrit's summoning is explained via main story and now he's just a part of the world, so he can be fought via GC?

Jinko

Metalmurphy said:
So the game runs pretty much the same with my new HD6870 as it did with my old HD4890

-.-

Game has a CPU bottleneck supposedly.

I guess that's what happens when you make an engine for the PS3 and port it to a PC.. :p

Whogie

:O at the patch notes. I'll come back to that book later.
Metalmurphy said:
So the game runs pretty much the same with my new HD6870 as it did with my old HD4890

-.-
CPU bottleneck?
Edit: Beaten.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom