• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dineren

Banned
Be careful if you redeem the rights of passage certificate. My browser crashed while I was filling out the info and now my code no longer works. Luckily I don't care much about it, but if you do beware!

My install is almost done, hope the server is functional when I manage to get it patched.

Allard

Can't you then to 16 more by going to another town and getting some there? And of course you can do more if you party with someone else and participate in theirs.

You can only uniquely participate (Stuff you activate) in 16 (8+8) leves no matter where you get them from. You can get 8 miner leves (2-3 from each town) but then have absolutely no battlecraft leves to start with. You can, on the other hand, participate in as many leves as you want that are not yours. You will only get gil reward and the enhanced skill up rate though, nothing more.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Got my copy. So how exactly does the Hermes sandals work just use your normal SE login that you already have synced to the FFXI account?

Also I have to do a full install of the game, correct? Can't just use the beta program (I.E. no reason to not delete it?)

I have never played a MMORPG, but I know I won't have considerable amount of times to spend on one. I am *really* not interested in grinding, but I am interested in the social aspect, pretty and seemingly limitless universe, and the dungeon hunts. So I'd be curious to try this game for like, maybe 10 hours a month, perhaps less.
Is this the kind of MMORPG where you can play lightly and still enjoy, or do you really need to be a bit more invested to enjoy it (I realize that people haven't spent a significant amount of time on this yet, but i presume experience on FFXI can be extrapolated to FFXIV to some extent).

jiggle

:lol just heard from a XI friend that he also lost his ingame items to the beta thing
and SE customer service are refusing to help
how fucked up

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
jiggle said:
:lol just heard from a XI friend that he also lost his ingame items to the beta thing
how fucked up
SE Customer service is the worst.
I got banned in FFXI randomly. I called and they said someone with my same personal info had their account banned and it linked to mine. And since the other account wasnt mine I could not get any answers besides I was banned due to link-age. :lol :lol Just like that 5+ years down the drain :lol :lol

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
jiggle said:
how fucked up

Wait so if you used your usually FFXI login durring the beta you're not getting the Hermes shoes?

jsrv

jiggle said:
how fucked up
to the beta thing?

careksims said:
Damn shame about Linblum. I'm still setting things up... I wonder if we should all move to a less congested server :/ You think it'll even out after a bit?
I don't know, last night Lindblum hit nearly 2400 users from Japanese users (mostly) alone. I think it will take a while

harriet the spy said:
I have never played a MMORPG, but I know I won't have considerable amount of times to spend on one. I am *really* not interested in grinding, but I am interested in the social aspect, pretty and seemingly limitless universe, and the dungeon hunts. So I'd be curious to try this game for like, maybe 10 hours a month, perhaps less.
Is this the kind of MMORPG where you can play lightly and still enjoy, or do you really need to be a bit more invested to enjoy it (I realize that people haven't spent a significant amount of time on this yet, but i presume experience on FFXI can be extrapolated to FFXIV to some extent).

You could play 10 hours a month and definitely make progress, albeit certainly slower than others.

The main problem is that, as you said, there is a social aspect and a living, breathing, seemingly "limitless" universe. These aspects make the player want to play a lot more than 10 hours a month, and you'd really have to if you want to see more than the very tip of the iceberg. I definitely encourage you to try it though! The community is the best part about these games, and FFXI/FFXIV are very community-driven with lots of good people.

jiggle

DrForester said:
Wait so if you used your usually FFXI login durring the beta you're not getting the Hermes shoes?

jsrv said:
to the beta thing?

the Onion Helm and Asuran Armband

if you register either items before registering your game
they will be automatically tied to your FFXIV beta service account

when you sign up/register your retail copy
you are given the option to create a new account or continue from the beta account (to retain character names used in the beta)

if you choose to start a new account
you will lose all the in game items

Atrus

Gold Member
Back home and installing. My brother's already at 10 so I have to catch up =(
Looks like we'll be playing on Figaro, the same server we started on in beta.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
jiggle said:

you are given the option to create a new account or continue from the beta account (to retain character names used in the beta)

So Can I continue from Beta and just delete character and start a fresh character? They did say all characters on account will get item, right?

jiggle

wow leve reward SUCKS now
but skill up and level up is back to closed beta rate, or close to it

DrForester said:
So Can I continue from Beta and just delete character and start a fresh character? They did say all characters on account will get item, right?

if the items are tied to the beta account
and you used your CD key to register for a new service account
they will be permanently separate
you will have no access to beta account without a new CD key

if you're worried about the speed shoes from FFXI
this problem doesn't affect it

rSpooky

This whole experiencee has been so miserable for me .. installing , patching, account creation login in , controls, game mechanics.. it all sucks. My wife is really pissed, I cannot blame her. She doesn't like a separate controllable camera , we dont know what the hell we are doing or are supposed to do .. and there is no guide for this available and the instruction booklet is bare bones.
truly feels like a wast of money right now :( .. we had the beta but only for short time , enough to see that is could run on our machines, and character creation etc.

Is there a great noob guide online or something?
We played 11 online way back when on PS2.. did not see that complicated as this... then again I cannot really remember it either.

sigh.. we want to like this so bad.. but it has been a very rough start.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
jiggle said:

In that case, How do I register the armband and helm to make sure I don't lose anything? I have that FFXIII code, and I bought the CE. But I think I already registered that FFXIII code when I got it and of course registed on the same account for the beta.

Just make sure I register my retail FFIXV first and everything is OK?

Atrus

Gold Member
rSpooky said:
This whole experiencee has been so miserable for me .. installing , patching, account creation login in , controls, game mechanics.. it all sucks. My wife is really pissed, I cannot blame her. She doesn't like a separate controllable camera , we dont know what the hell we are doing or are supposed to do .. and there is no guide for this available and the instruction booklet is bare bones.
truly feels like a wast of money right now :( .. we had the beta but only for short time , enough to see that is could run on our machines, and character creation etc.

Is there a great noob guide online or something?
We played 11 online way back when on PS2.. did not see that complicated as this... then again I cannot really remember it either.

sigh.. we want to like this so bad.. but it has been a very rough start.

Use the right mouse button to control the camera and things tend to go a little smoother from there.

There's a speech bubble type icon that pops up at the top of the screen when you can interact with things. It will appear for instance if you stand beside an elevator or Aetherite crystal.

WASD can be used for movement. F is used to enter or get out of combat mode and the manual camera controls are IJKL I believe with O and P as zoom buttons. M is for map and can be moved with the manual camera controls.

Pressing Scroll+Print Screen will allow you to take pictures and the # buttons are where your attack commands are located.

To revive you need to bring up the menu (bottom right-most icon) and click Return.
To equip things you need to click the region of the body it goes to, in inventory, click on the item and then select equip.
When you get abilities you must equip them through using the menu screen. There is a scroll bar that lets you see which abilities from different jobs you can equip.

It's not that much different from FFXI except that the menu screen (bottom right icon) plays a big part in getting things done.

Chat is a bit strange but simply invite the other person to a party and /chatmode party to have an easier conversation.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
DrDogg said:
- I did not get into a party as my CON, but spamming cure on myself did not give me any SP, so I'm still skeptical about the party mechanics.
You only get SP by healing others and recovering damage.

notworksafe

jiggle said:
if the items are tied to the beta account
and you used your CD key to register for a new service account
they will be permanently separate
you will have no access to beta account without a new CD key
Wait, what? So if you put in your codes before you register FFXIV, it ties them to an account for a service that is no longer in operation? And CS won't give you them back? Way to give back to the fans, Square. I'll have to make sure to wait til I register FFXIV.

Thanks for the heads up! Not like Square would ever tell us. :lol

Where are all the different codes located in the package, so I can tell my little brother what to look for when he gives me my codes over the phone?

Also, what does the right of passage do?

HappyBivouac said:
Where are all the different codes located in the package, so I can tell my little brother what to look for when he gives me my codes over the phone?

Little slips of paper in the DVD box, with the manual.

careksims

Holy shit. This is HELL to set up. From payment options to updating the damn thing and I'm still giving money to SE -___-. Gah what a pain in the ass.

jsrv

notworksafe said:
Wait, what? So if you put in your codes before you register FFXIV, it ties them to an account for a service that is no longer in operation? And CS won't give you them back? Way to give back to the fans, Square. I'll have to make sure to wait til I register FFXIV.

When you register your FFXIV retail version it actually asks you if you want to combine it with the Beta service, so if you tied any codes to the beta service it will transfer over to the retail service.

zlatko

Banned
notworksafe said:

Not exactly.

I put in my Asuran guards code like 2 days ago. Today I put in my FFXIV code, then my onion helm code, and both items were there when I started.

DrForester said:

This isn't the character creation where it occurs, it's the SE account page. Just say you want to continue when it asks, there are no drawbacks and you can make whatever character you want when you get that far.

To make sure you get all your in game items:

When registering your FF14 code (the one on the manual) on the SE account page, make sure you choose the option to add the service to your existing (from the beta) account. DO NOT START A NEW ACCOUNT.

This is completely unrelated to character creation, and occurs before it.

If you do it right, when you DO make a character, you'll be given the option to use your beta or FFXI name during the appropriate character creation step.

notworksafe

jsrv said:
When you register your FFXIV retail version it actually asks you if you want to combine it with the Beta service, so if you tied any codes to the beta service it will transfer over to the retail service.
Phew okay...well I'm still going to wait. Just in case...

careksims said:
Oh yeah.. NO NEW character options!?

The hell? Didn't they specifically say that what was in beta for character creation was only the tip of the iceberg? That's a bit disappointing, though we'll still see tons more variation than FFXI had.

jsrv

BTW for anyone trying to register the product code for FFXIV (The one with the red/black card), it will say it is expired. I read on another forum that this problem is known to SE and that it is because the "official" launch date of the product is Sept. 30 so apparently you can't register it until that date. I think it is the same with the Right of Passage code.

The code is just for the point system thing on the S-E account page and is separate from the product registration code (Dang all these code names).

careksims said:
Oh yeah.. NO NEW character options!?
They listed what new changes there would be for retail (like mouse hardware and a few other things), new hair style and such wasn't listed there. All those fancy updates they showed probably won't be released any time soon.

notworksafe

HappyBivouac said:
The hell? Didn't they specifically say that what was in beta for character creation was only the tip of the iceberg? That's a bit disappointing, though we'll still see tons more variation than FFXI had.
CE limitations. Us SE scrubs will get the good options. :lol

Also...I stopped by GameStop on the way home and no CE's to be found. I put down the money for the SE however...god help me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom