• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teknoman

Allard said:
I dont see you dead in any of these shots! You broke tradition :(

Heh for the first time I didnt have a good death shot...of course all I did was go to Totorak today (of course I died, but the camera glitched out before I got raised).

EDIT: Well actually...

jKHEKJ5mCKE44.jpg

from yesterday

Munba

Whoa those art are intriguing :0 Is Limsa one a 'personal ships' hint?

Hope in something big tomorrow in the Producer Letter LIVE..

Jinko

Munba said:
It seems the "new" composer for the extra tracks seems to be Masayoshi Soken,
http://blog.jp.square-enix.com/music/cm_blog/2011/10/ffxiv_119bgm.html

You can hear some samples tracks from 1.19 patch. And wow, some of those samples are REALLY good (i think the first piece is the company chocobo theme). I never heard about him but he composed some Front Mission, Dawn of Mana and Drakengard 2 ost. I like it!

Think its better than Uematsu's stuff TBH, love the music for the Kobold camp, its like something straight out of CoP.

I wana be a Blue Badger .. wait .. what ?

Teknoman

Letter from the Producer LIVE
To celebrate FINAL FANTASY XIV’s one-year anniversary, we are presenting “Letter from the Producer LIVE,” a special live edition(*) of the Letter from the Producer on YouTube Live. During this live broadcast, Producer/Director Naoki Yoshida will be answering various questions sent by players around the globe. Also the “Letter from the Producer LIVE” is planned to be held twice so be sure not to miss this special opportunity!

Date & Time
First Broadcast : From Oct. 4, 2011 5:00 a.m. PDT
Second Broadcast : Somewhere between end of October and early November

How to view the live broadcast
Please access the following page on YouTube Live:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDJD23dIqw

How to submit questions
Please follow the official FFXIV Twitter account (@FF_XIV_EN) and send a tweet with #XIVLive hash tag during the live broadcast.

Theme
“Letter from the Producer LIVE” is planned to be held twice.

First Broadcast(Oct. 4, 2011):
Questions on patch 1.19 and a patch in the near future
Questions about Naoki Yoshida himself

Second Broadcast(Somewhere between end of October and early November)
Questions on patch 1.19 that have surfaced after the implementation
Questions on patch 1.20 and beyond and the future of FINAL FANTASY XIV

Questions will be forwarded to Naoki Yoshida and he will try his best to answer as much questions as possible during the live broadcast.

For those of you who cannot view the live broadcast due to its airtime, please do not worry. During the live broadcast, the details on questions and answers will be posted on the official Twitter account on the spot. Also the full details of the show will be posted on the official forum after the broadcast.

Eccocid

Last nights totorak runs were fun lol even tho i didn't know what was i doing 50% of the time.

Techo Lust was ordering me "TRAIN THEM GOUD!" and then "RUN AWAAAAY LOLZ".

Perfect run was more complicated than i thought.

jiggle

i need snurble tufts but all the comments on even locating the mobs didn't help ><

i hope there are new ways to get it with the update

btw, anyone noticed chocobo feather npc price going from 400 to like 16k?
wtf

jiggle

they are releasing recipes higher than the rank cap?

edit: meh the entire list is made of palette swap stuff
lazy much?

Jinko

There tools to design new armor are basically just that a bunch of sliders and check boxes.

I don't expect to see really unique gear in this game ever, FF11 didn't really have much that stood out either.

Eccocid

Jinko said:
There tools to design new armor are basically just that a bunch of sliders and check boxes.

I don't expect to see really unique gear in this game ever, FF11 didn't really have much that stood out either.

I wish some of the gear had special effects on them just like in Oblivion or in Wow... Glowing, flames etc... Those ifrit weapons have it but very subtle.
I want over the top effects! Like when u turn to camera lens flare coming from the reflection of your wristbands should blind the player!!!

Teknoman

I want a blue steel cuirass set. Mythril armor looks shiny as hell, and those red armor sets are kinda cool. The mesails are new?

Eccocid said:
I wish some of the gear had special effects on them just like in Oblivion or in Wow... Glowing, flames etc... Those ifrit weapons have it but very subtle.
I want over the top effects! Like when u turn to camera lens flare coming from the reflection of your wristbands should blind the player!!!

Hell Yes!!!

jiggle said:
they are releasing recipes higher than the rank cap?

edit: meh the entire list is made of palette swap stuff
lazy much?

Let's face it, mainline player crafted stuff will always be based on standard gear sets and designs.

Unknown Soldier said:
Leveling is so much faster now that you might as well quit Figaro and join Lindblum instead if you're seriously going to resume playing the game.

I would probably do a world transfer if they ever get around to adding that but with two nearly level 50 classes and most others at 25-30+ not to mention millions upon millions of gil, starting over would make me a sad panda.

Also, the Japanese community on Figaro is quite large and I enjoy playing with them. How is it on Lindblum?

Londa

Banned
ROBOKITTYZILLA said:
I would probably do a world transfer if they ever get around to adding that but with two nearly level 50 classes and most others at 25-30+ not to mention millions upon millions of gil, starting over would make me a sad panda.

Also, the Japanese community on Figaro is quite large and I enjoy playing with them. How is it on Lindblum?

I tried playing on Saturday on the Figaro server. I got one level in and a NM drop. I didn't know they had pop NMs. Thats how long I have stop playing. I would just occasionally log in to get event items or look around the city in Uldah. Name is Lolo Landerlu. I picked Figaro because a old FFXI friend was on the server, but he has already uninstalled the game. :(

Allard

I'm on Figaro too :p. Same reason I went there, lots of my FFXI friends all choose that server from Gilgamesh. I even made an alt of my old character on gilgamesh before it merged into Carbuncle ; ;.

The LS Im on always has about 10+ people on at a time, lots of different time zones and stuff.

Londa

Banned
Allard said:
I'm on Figaro too :p. Same reason I went there, lots of my FFXI friends all choose that server from Gilgamesh. I even made an alt of my old character on gilgamesh before it merged into Carbuncle ; ;.

The LS Im on always has about 10+ people on at a time, lots of different time zones and stuff.

I was on Asura, What is your Linkshell in FFXIV?

Ken

So I'm probably going to start an account and finally start the game on Wednesday. Had a question about classes though; can a single character in this game switch between any of the classes any time? If that's true, how does leveling work then? If I switch to a different class do I start back at level 1 in that class? Do I retain my level for previous classes?

Ravidrath

Ken said:
So I'm probably going to start an account and finally start the game on Wednesday. Had a question about classes though; can a single character in this game switch between any of the classes any time? If that's true, how does leveling work then? If I switch to a different class do I start back at level 1 in that class? Do I retain my level for previous classes?

You start back at Level 1 when you change classes.

Prior to Tuesday, there are separate Physical/Class levels, but the Physical levels are being removed because they were terrible. Theoretically it would've given you a leg-up on new classes, but it didn't really work out that way.

Instead, though, you can equip abilities from your other class to speed things up a bit.

Ken

Ravidrath said:
You start back at Level 1 when you change classes.

Prior to Tuesday, there are separate Physical/Class levels, but the Physical levels are being removed because they were terrible. Theoretically it would've given you a leg-up on new classes, but it didn't really work out that way.

Instead, though, you can equip abilities from your other class to speed things up a bit.

So is it ever advantageous to start a new class with a different class' abilities versus just starting up a new character? I guess I should ask, do some classes have skills that work well with other classes?

Ex with generic MMO terms. I start as a tank class and then change classes to a healing class. As a healing class, I'd be able to use defensive buffs from the tank class. Or does it not work like that?

Jinko

We told you guys to come to lindblum, we told you your friends would leave you one day !!!

They will probably have server transfers for when the PS3 version is launched I reckon, people are already asking for it on the forums.

Yup Ken it works exactly like that, there are a handful of skills which are one class only but the majority are transferable between classes.

Jobs like paladin will probably use def skills and white magic when they add them in 1.20/1.21

Rawk Hawk

Ken said:
So is it ever advantageous to start a new class with a different class' abilities versus just starting up a new character? I guess I should ask, do some classes have skills that work well with other classes?

Ex with generic MMO terms. I start as a tank class and then change classes to a healing class. As a healing class, I'd be able to use defensive buffs from the tank class. Or does it not work like that?
Your example is correct. If you are a tank class, and you level up a healing class, you then can use curative magic as your tank. So it's beneficial to level multiple classes, maybe not allt he way to max, but high enough to unlock the skills or spells you'll use. so you wouldn't want to create a new character each time.

Ken

Alright, thanks. Sounds pretty neat. Any suggestions on a first class? Actually, would you guys have any online resources you could suggest?

Also, it sounds like most of GAF plays on the Lindblum server?

jiggle

the mixed abilities/spells are usually gimped in some way
but still great
can also mix job traits

one of the best thing to come out this game
and it was there since day one :O

i hope they don't get too carried away with the job exclusive spells/abilites

Ken said:
Alright, thanks. Sounds pretty neat. Any suggestions on a first class?

gladiator/archer/conjurer/thaumaturge for the invite whores :)

Jinko

Yea I'd recommend starting as Gladiator, the job will be much more fun to play after the patch tomorrow aswell as you won't need to worry about keeping your shield up all the time.

If you're guna start I would actually hold off til after the patch as their will be new tutorials as well which will help you out a lot, assuming SE did them right lol.

Ken

Jinko said:
Yea I'd recommend starting as Gladiator, the job will be much more fun to play after the patch tomorrow aswell as you won't need to worry about keeping your shield up all the time.

If you're guna start I would actually hold off til after the patch as their will be new tutorials as well which will help you out a lot, assuming SE did them right lol.
Patch is Tuesday? I'll be playing on Wednesday probably.

What's a good class to compliment a gladiator? I'm going to jump in with a friend so we'll probably duo a lot of the content.

Riposte

I get the feeling the game's original design was more focused on Physical Level, with Class Ranks being more akin to weapon skills from XI. I would loved that that if more things were level capped, but I don't think SE will ever go down that route again. The end result was fucking weird. You'd think they would be able to at least make physical levels akin to merits.

Londa

Banned
Rentahamster said:

I tried being in the gaf linkshell during beta and thought that there is no way I'm going to have a bunch of guys still rehashing on old post I made on the forums. Plus I think Jinko was cursing at me for no reason so I didn't feel welcomed.

I'd pick playing with my friend over that any day.

Ravidrath

I guess that's not supposed to be Kan-E Senna. Hair color is wrong, and that's clearly not a little girl-like Padjali.

Makes me wonder if that's actually supposed to be a Highland Woman? I could see them being stacked that way.

There was also a Musketeer in the Limsa Lominsa one, so showing coming things may not be out of the question.

Jinko

Kan-E Senna is a mother, she has 3 children, hence the big boobs .. desu ne ?

What's a good class to compliment a gladiator?

Marauder is good for extra defense and pugilist for taunt skills.

Ravidrath

Jinko said:
Kan-E Senna is a mother, she has 3 children, hence the big boobs .. desu ne ?

Have you seen her in the game?

She's like somewhere between a Miqo'te and Lalafell in height, and looks like one of the Gridanian kids.

Ken

Jinko said:
Marauder is good for extra defense and pugilist for taunt skills.

Oh, I meant if two people are playing together, and one is a gladiator, what's a good class to pick for the other person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom