• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

Teknoman said:
Damage nerf? Or is it we have actual stats that match low levels when switching to a lvl 1-10 class?

Well its not COMPLETELY useless, just less useful than whatever non dated stuff fits your rank. Plus you can turn it into materia, so theres that.
Tek is right.

And it's not a damage nerf people. Shit scales now much better than it did before. Stats matter!

Margalis

Banned
Do you still assign attribute points?

Also has any stuff been fixed with changing classes not remembering your equipment sets and hotbar setups?

Ashodin

Margalis said:

Also has any stuff been fixed with changing classes not remembering your equipment sets and hotbar setups?
the last thing, they're working on it. Assign points? Nope. Stats change based on your class, so it will redistribute points as needed to make you effective.

Margalis said:

Everything is auto-distributed now for the sake of balancing but you will be able to redistribute attribute points in a later patch.

Allard

Maxrpg said:
Tek is right.

And it's not a damage nerf people. Shit scales now much better than it did before. Stats matter!

Exactly. You can't kill things 8+ above yourself solo now because it wasn't your 'damage' that was nerfed, your stats mean more, and so do the stats of mobs including there defense. Now each new level means a whole lot more, you don't get marginally stronger, you get noticiably stronger, mobs that might have given you trouble at lvl 19, give you less trouble at lvl 20. It scales so much better then it did before. The EXP parameters have changed to accomodate this scaling so you also aren't getting nerfed EXP. People just need a new mind set on what can and cannot be done solo.

The new scaling also makes partying so much more satisfying. Solo as a Lancer I could hardly kill a duo of crabs 1 level under me both, but in my own duo I could take out the NM crab! Also that reminds me, mobs also don't hit you like a truck anymore (at least when you are closer to level match up), the damage is much more manageable and you won't die immediately from a link unless you grab like 10+ (or aggro a mob that is 20+ levels above you lol) so if you get aggro you can take a sec and strategize how you want to survive the encounter, but realize this... curing is severly nerfed to compensate for this, at least when you do cures or second wind on a class that is not the original one. And yeah dated equipment needs to be replaced. It reminds me of gear that is ultra high level that is level synced down in FFXI. You can wear it, it will give you marginal stats but it won't make you do your best job.

Oh also for those complaining about feeling weak, materia gives a crap load of stats. We are in a whole new ball game, everything that we geared for has been crapped on over night, crafters need to learn new recipes, combat classes need all new gear and better understanding of their weaknesses and find ways to combat them, hell even disciple of the land got a shake up in just trying to find out where all the stuff is supposed to be at since that too got overhauled.

Munba

Entered in the low-lv dungeon and it's pretty nice (dead trees and abandoned wood stuff on the first floor).. i like the new battle theme there (very FFT). The battles are rather fast and very smooth now.

Btw, like renta, the first time on chocobo (the longest awaited in this game) was rather emotional.. :0

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
lol51 said:
I'm ready to give this game another try. Had a 40 BOT 38 ALC on Karnak but LS slowly started going inactive so i decided to put game on backburner until major patches.

Going to start fresh on Lindblum but with conjurer. Seems like GAF LS is still active and can I join? Also is there a teamspeak/vent ?

Name is "Sir Ultros" and timezone is EST.
Welcome aboard, dude. It's nice that alts are free to make so that you can check out other servers to see what it's like.

Riposte

Munba said:
Entered in the low-lv dungeon and it's pretty nice (dead trees and abandoned wood stuff on the first floor).. i like the new battle theme there (very FFT). The battles are rather fast and very smooth now.

Btw, like renta, the first time on chocobo (the longest awaited in this game) was rather emotional.. :0

Um, wasn't there suppose to be an "event" the first time you enter? I didn't get it.

jiggle

grrr, ridiculous
at least 4 market ward crashes yesterday and 3, so far, today
impossible to find/buy any materials and next to impossible to sell anything
can't decide if it's incompetence or just the game being popular
good way to remind people of the game's status 1 year ago :)

Riposte

jiggle said:
grrr, ridiculous
at least 4 market ward crashes yesterday and 3, so far, today
impossible to find/buy any materials and next to impossible to sell anything
can't decide if it's incompetence or just the game being popular
good way to remind people of the game's status 1 year ago :)

The problem is that people only use one city to sell things I think.

Jinko

TAJ said:
I'm pretty happy about it. It's another reason not to come back.

There is no nerf !!

Did you not read what Allard said, its simple to understand.

Before people could fight stuff +10 levels higher now they have to fight equal to or slightly below as monsters are a lot more even matched, its just something people will have to get used to.

@ Jiggle, if this is not a kick in the ass for them to get rid of this shitty market system I duno what is, we can only hope they will mention an proper AH in the next few months.

Teknoman

Dont forget:

[dev1181] Retainer bazaars in market areas are now subject to a time limit.
Maximum duration: 7 days (168 hours, Earth time)
* Those leasing stands are exempt from the above time limit.
Updating bazaar information resets your duration to 7 days (168 hours, Earth time).
Retainers who have exceeded the time limit will automatically return home.

Ken

Currently patching but it's going so slowly. Is there a way I can download a patch elsewhere that would take my current version all the way to the update version?

Says my boot version is 2010.09.18.0000

lol51

Ken said:
Currently patching but it's going so slowly. Is there a way I can download a patch elsewhere that would take my current version all the way to the update version?

Says my boot version is 2010.09.18.0000

Download the patch you are currently trying to download as torrents and move download into C:\Users\<USERNAME>\Documents\My Games\FINAL FANTASY XIV\downloads\ffxiv

Get the big filesize ones... ignore rest

http://extratorrent.com/search/?search=FFXIV+Update+&new=1&x=0&y=0

[dev1134] The following changes and additions have been made to guildleves:

Every 12 hours (Earth time) players will earn four "leve allowances" (up to a maximum of 99) which can be exchanged for guildleves at Adventurers' Guilds. After patch 1.19 is implemented, players can receive their initial allocation of 8 leves by visiting the Adventurers' Guild, after which time their leve allowance will accumulate at the abovementioned rate.

WWWow!

lol51

Ken said:
So if I just grab 10.4.2011 patch and throw it into downloads it will work?

Yes. Just be sure you are copy and pasting correctly. For example, if you are already patching there should be a directory called 48eca647 - the torrent downloads a directory of that same name. Copy and paste it so it is "48eca647\patch" and not "48eca647\48eca647\patch".

jiggle

Jinko said:
There is no nerf !!

Before people could fight stuff +10 levels higher now they have to fight equal to or slightly below as monsters are a lot more even matched, its just something people will have to get used to.

i can accept that and have no problem with the whole level difference thing
it makes more sense now anyway

but on the other hand
the grind that comes with this is worse now, for soloing

i finally got around to doing some leves
comparing the before and after
i now need 2x as long on a leve to get the same amount of sp i was getting before
and i can't even complete a behest solo now

i know that it's faster in party now and materia will make a difference
but as for right now, soloing leve sucks

Jinko said:
@ Jiggle, if this is not a kick in the ass for them to get rid of this shitty market system I duno what is, we can only hope they will mention an proper AH in the next few months.

One year ago, i would've point and laugh had someone told me AH will still be MIA after a full year XD

lol51

I forgot how nice the graphics are in this game...

Sadly I get some horrible vsync issues in windowed mode.
And with Fullscreen (no screen tearing) i habitually alt tab to check other things and crash myself.

Tough decision this one. Maybe I'll find a way to disable ALT key.

lol51 said:
I forgot how nice the graphics are in this game...

Sadly I get some horrible vsync issues in windowed mode.
And with Fullscreen (no screen tearing) i habitually alt tab to check other things and crash myself.

Tough decision this one. Maybe I'll find a way to disable ALT key.

Use D3DOverride and that windows script file to get borderless window/fullscreen.

Londa

Banned
Teknoman said:
Download patch, place patch in patch folder. Usually Documents/MyGames/Finalfantasyxiv/48eca647 then run the game.

I downloaded the patch, but when I place it in the patch folder it asks me if I want to replace the files and I said yes. Did I do it correctly, because the game isn't installing it just sits at 18%

lol51

Metalmurphy said:
Use D3DOverride and that windows script file to get borderless window/fullscreen.
Yeah i tried 2 different windowers and they both have really bad tearing. I just disabled ALT using TweakKey and the windows key using the built in keyboard switch. No real problems and can surf with steam overlay.

Londa said:
I downloaded the patch, but when I place it in the patch folder it asks me if I want to replace the files and I said yes. Did I do it correctly, because the game isn't installing it just sits at 18%
Restart updater and it should find the file you just replaced and assumes it downloaded it already.

Ken

My friend is running into problems patching the game. She got the October 4th patch through the torrent link, but her FFXIV folder in My Games doesn't have a download folder? Also, whenever she tries to start the game up, which should include the updater, it crashes. Any way to get around these problems?

Googling seems to say that ATI Mobility cards don't work well with FF XIV, at least without driver updates. Hmm.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Jinko said:
There is no nerf !!

I don't even know what people mean by "dated" gear. I can't find a reference to it online except this page.
At first I thought you meant gear way below your rank, but then I saw the thing about some rank 48 stuff being "dated".
And everything you're saying makes me less interested. Thank you. :D

Whogie

Equipment is now literally listed as dated.
NGl6C.jpg

Holy ssss I just discovered FFXIVAH.com.
Are those median prices really what people sell for? This Market Ward could actually turn out to be bearable with this.

And they added NPC vendors to guilds, so now I have recent and appropriate LNC gear!!

Teknoman

TAJ said:
I don't even know what people mean by "dated" gear. I can't find a reference to it online except this page.
At first I thought you meant gear way below your rank, but then I saw the thing about some rank 48 stuff being "dated".
And everything you're saying makes me less interested. Thank you. :D

Dated Gear is dated because better items have replaced them or they used old crafting formulas that used items that were either removed from the game (simplifying crafting formulas a little) or will be added back to the game later for stronger stuff.

For instance, say an iron scutum (large shield) was level 45 pre 1.19. Now its been moved to level 25, and while its got lower stats than before, two more metal grades (steel and cobalt) have been added with materia slots and better stats for level 30 and up. The new versions/items added are normal now, and the old shield is called Dated in the inventory or shop or wherever. Also some have an actual required level or class rather than just optimal or favored.

*These arent the exact levels now, just using it as an example.

EDIT: Actually, just check this -

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/...tch-1.19-Notes?p=361387&viewfull=1#post361387

Man, shit got real in this patch. The market ward crashing is annoying, but everything else is sweet.

Pugilists got a pretty huge buff, they can do Jarring Strike/Haymaker from a Miss now, as they removed Evade completely. That + enemies actually miss now = Pugs doing a shitload of damage.

Counters are so good now I threw them on my Gladiator and wreck shop. With Jarring Strike II/Haymaker II and Seasoned Veteran, I actually do more damage on counters than I do with Phalanx II.

If anyone's on Trabia, hit me up if you want to play. My character is Renault Andreas.

Ken

Is it possible to delete a character and remake another with the same name as the deleted character?

Also, are there any workarounds for people with ATI Mobility GPUs that cause the game and updater to crash at startup?

NeoForte

Ken said:
Is it possible to delete a character and remake another with the same name as the deleted character?

Also, are there any workarounds for people with ATI Mobility GPUs that cause the game and updater to crash at startup?

I am fairly positive you can do that.

kiryogi

Banned
Bwahaha. Went at it all day and got mah bird! Unoriginally named him Squall. D: Couldn't think of a better name for a male anyway, and it sorta follows in the weatherlikeness of my character's surname.

Whogie

I'm only 23, so I have a little time before my bird.
I'm going to name it after my FFXI bird. Even though she was female, "Ember" seems unisex.

Just noticed that accessories will be NPC repairable in 1.20. That's quite a relief.

Battles seem fast again after ditching my dated junk.

Londa

Banned
lol51 said:
Yeah i tried 2 different windowers and they both have really bad tearing. I just disabled ALT using TweakKey and the windows key using the built in keyboard switch. No real problems and can surf with steam overlay.

Restart updater and it should find the file you just replaced and assumes it downloaded it already.
I did that :(

Londa

Banned
lol51 said:
Yes. Just be sure you are copy and pasting correctly. For example, if you are already patching there should be a directory called 48eca647 - the torrent downloads a directory of that same name. Copy and paste it so it is "48eca647\patch" and not "48eca647\48eca647\patch".

I downloaded the file but I got a file with the file name "459CD0F98A503AC8C7F45CF2D3FEE2B86A4E6165 "

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I dunno if anyone's taken the time to research this yet, but if you have,

What are the cheapest high rank gear you can craft to use for materia farming?

lol51

Londa said:
I downloaded the file but I got a file with the file name "459CD0F98A503AC8C7F45CF2D3FEE2B86A4E6165 "

That's the checksum filehash... torrents how do they work? ^_^

I sent you a PM...

Eccocid

AlphaDragoon said:
Man, shit got real in this patch. The market ward crashing is annoying, but everything else is sweet.

Pugilists got a pretty huge buff, they can do Jarring Strike/Haymaker from a Miss now, as they removed Evade completely. That + enemies actually miss now = Pugs doing a shitload of damage.

Counters are so good now I threw them on my Gladiator and wreck shop. With Jarring Strike II/Haymaker II and Seasoned Veteran, I actually do more damage on counters than I do with Phalanx II.

If anyone's on Trabia, hit me up if you want to play. My character is Renault Andreas.

First i was like OMG PUG NERFED CANT EVADE ANY MORE!!! Then i noticed i can use counters after a "miss" and i was like OMG PUG BOOSTED COUNTERS 10X MORE NAO!

Ravidrath

Ken said:
IAlso, are there any workarounds for people with ATI Mobility GPUs that cause the game and updater to crash at startup?

I'm on an ATI Mobility and haven't had any problems at all. I may have non-Mobility drivers installed, though.

Ken

Ravidrath said:
I'm on an ATI Mobility and haven't had any problems at all. I may have non-Mobility drivers installed, though.
Hm my friend was trying to install in a laptop with a 5730 but trying to start the game gives a "stopped working" error. Googling around it seems like SE doesn't support ATI mobility so people have been suggesting things like using driver sweepers, uninstalling and reinstalling new drivers. That method seems to have varying success though.

Alchemy

I haven't touched this since the terrible beta, and was wondering if there are any videos that really demonstrate changes to combat. I'm digging around in the patch notes and seeing some interesting changes, on the fence of picking this up to give it a shot.

Ravidrath

Ken said:
Hm my friend was trying to install in a laptop with a 5730 but trying to start the game gives a "stopped working" error. Googling around it seems like SE doesn't support ATI mobility so people have been suggesting things like using driver sweepers, uninstalling and reinstalling new drivers. That method seems to have varying success though.

I think I've just been downloading the regular drivers... they're definitely coming direct from ATI.

I have a AMD Radeon HD 6750M w/ 1 gig.

Darte

For those crying nerf for the lower levels, heres something to consider. Equipment over your level have their attributes *heavily* lowered.

You'll notice there are 2 sections to the attributes of a weapon/armor. The Defence/Offence stats of an Armor/weapon and the bonus stats it grants (like +accuracy, crit power etc).

As I tried a leve for the first time since 1.19 on my level 22 pug, I noticed my Level 35 weapon was only doing 3-5 damage on auto attacks, and 10-20 on weapon skills. So I looked at my weapon and noticed my Offence stats.

It was D59(-53). Meaning I was fighting with a D6 weapon. The Bonus stats my weapon had were also greyed out, meaning they weren't being applied anymore at all as opposed to being scaled down.

It was the same thing I noticed across my Armor, defense was lowered and no bonus stats were being applied.

I tried to make what was before patch a level 23 weapon with the new recipie but it ended up as a level 16 weapon. Still it had D23 instead, and I started doing considerably more damage compared to my level 35 weapon. Since my rings don't do squat anymore (I used various attribute rings), i think I'll have to make myself some low level accuracy rings.

tldr: Equipping armor over optimal rank/not favored is not worth it anymore as it grants nearly no stats, use appropriate gear for level and class.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom