• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravidrath

NeoForte said:
Oh really? I have logged on, just on my mac... with no gamepad support :p Good to hear though!

How are you getting this to run in WINE, BTW?

I play in Bootcamp, but it'd be great if I could get it to work on the Mac side.

NeoForte

Ravidrath said:
How are you getting this to run in WINE, BTW?

I play in Bootcamp, but it'd be great if I could get it to work on the Mac side.

On FFXI BG there was...well still is a topic about it. Someone posted a tutorial using Wineskin. Works pretty well though there can be a lot of complications.

http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/106122-How-To-Run-FFXIV-on-Mac-OSX

Unfortunately you will have to play this game at a lower resolution than you would boot camping and with a few of the high details off. Also no gamepad support....well kinda. Using my gamepad I can get the buttons configured but the analogs won't. Still I get a stable 40ish fps at 1440 x 900 with only low shadows and low texture filtering and only dips when there's a lot in the screen but not enough to make it unplayable.

Ravidrath

NeoForte said:
On FFXI BG there was...well still is a topic about it. Someone posted a tutorial using Wineskin. Works pretty well though there can be a lot of complications.

http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/106122-How-To-Run-FFXIV-on-Mac-OSX

Unfortunately you will have to play this game at a lower resolution than you would boot camping and with a few of the high details off. Also no gamepad support....well kinda. Using my gamepad I can get the buttons configured but the analogs won't. Still I get a stable 40ish fps at 1440 x 900 with only low shadows and low texture filtering and only dips when there's a lot in the screen but not enough to make it unplayable.

Ah, that's too bad.

It ran actually pretty well under Parallels 6, much to my surprise. It had a problem where the characters would flash on and off, and it seemed like that might be fixable in a future version.

Unfortunately, though, it won't run at all under Parallels 7.

NeoForte

Ravidrath said:
Ah, that's too bad.

It ran actually pretty well under Parallels 6, much to my surprise. It had a problem where the characters would flash on and off, and it seemed like that might be fixable in a future version.

Unfortunately, though, it won't run at all under Parallels 7.

I say give it a chance. I don't mind keyboard controls so I enjoy having the game running on Mac. Beats having to restart to another OS to just play a game.

Jomjom

Banned
I played FFXI for almost 7 years, but after just recently starting FFXIV I can see that very little is the same. I am completely lost despite reading some guides and things online, as well as doing the tutorial things in game.

Can anyone suggest some good resources for a new FFXIV player?

Also, is Palamecia the only existing server now? If so, is there a neoGAF linkshell or anything in game? I'm in Limsa Lomisa.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
jling84 said:
I played FFXI for almost 7 years, but after just recently starting FFXIV I can see that very little is the same. I am completely lost despite reading some guides and things online, as well as doing the tutorial things in game.

Can anyone suggest some good resources for a new FFXIV player?

Also, is Palamecia the only existing server now? If so, is there a neoGAF linkshell or anything in game? I'm in Limsa Lomisa.
Lol? Where did you get the notion that palmecia is the only server? We're all on lindblum. If you just started out, remake your character on lindblum.

Jomjom

Banned
Rentahamster said:
Lol? Where did you get the notion that palmecia is the only server? We're all on lindblum. If you just started out, remake your character on lindblum.

I google searched server status and for some website showed that Palamecia was the only one that was on.

Is there a way for me to keep my character's name if I recreate on Lindblum?

Also how come my Gladiator is lvl 5, but I still don't have Light Slash for some reason. I have Light Stab. I thought Light Slash was a lvl 1 skill?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
jling84 said:
I google searched server status and for some website showed that Palamecia was the only one that was on.

Is there a way for me to keep my character's name if I recreate on Lindblum?

Also how come my Gladiator is lvl 5, but I still don't have Light Slash for some reason. I have Light Stab. I thought Light Slash was a lvl 1 skill?
Yeah I think you should be able to. If you don't want to delete your current char just add another char option to your service account since its all still free. As long as the name is unique to the server, you should be fine.

come to lindblum. We have candy.

As for light slas I think you need to do the starter story queat first to have the other level one skills for all classes to unlock.

Jomjom

Banned
Hi I've created a character in Lindblum. How do I get to joining you guys?

I'm still kind of confused about what I'm finding on Google. A lot of the info seems to be old or even from the beta.

It doesn't seem as if we can manually assign attribute points anymore is that right? Also it seems that light slash no longer exists as a weapon skill?

Teknoman

Rentahamster said:
Yeah I think you should be able to. If you don't want to delete your current char just add another char option to your service account since its all still free. As long as the name is unique to the server, you should be fine.

As for light slas I think you need to do the starter story queat first to have the other level one skills for all classes to unlock.

Light slash is gone now, all we've got access to is light stab, heavy slash, and heavy stab. Light slash is now gone in favor of normal auto attack (new animations and whatnot). Attributes are auto designated for now, and have a larger effect. Also helps you see what stats your class should be focuses on I guess? The stat distribution is now different for every class too, and we'll get the option for auto or manual in 1.20.

Jomjom

Banned
Teknoman said:
Light slash is gone now, all we've got access to is light stab, heavy slash, and heavy stab. Light slash is now gone in favor of normal auto attack (new animations and whatnot). Attributes are auto designated for now, and have a larger effect. Also helps you see what stats your class should be focuses on I guess? The stat distribution is now different for every class too, and we'll get the option for auto or manual in 1.20.

Ah I see. Thanks for the detailed clarification.

If whoever can give me a GAF linkshell can post here letting me know how and when I can pick one up from you, I would greatly appreciate it.

Rawk Hawk

Rentahamster said:

Seems legit...

With the new/returning players, how is the LS size holding up? Have they made any changes to pearl size or anything to help?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
jling84 said:
Ah I see. Thanks for the detailed clarification.

If whoever can give me a GAF linkshell can post here letting me know how and when I can pick one up from you, I would greatly appreciate it.
What's your in game name, and post when you're online.

lol51

Redid the design for http://www.ffxiv-db.com - was having trouble on phone so i gave it a more simple clean look. The advance search was getting clunky made it hidden for those that don't need it. Mostly superficial things.i did link recipe mats to their item page. Next goal is redo components and recipe tree details.

Teknoman

IonicSnake said:
They're not reducing the amount of exp you earn in normal partys?

I dont think they are, just fixing the penalty for the level gap/ making you have to actually claim the enemy to get experience for it?

Teknoman said:
I dont think they are, just fixing the penalty for the level gap/ making you have to actually claim the enemy to get experience for it?

I'm all for that. I think the grinding speed is good now so I hope it stays that way in normal exp groups.

Munba

Patch 1.19a... today?! °_°
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/26950-NA-All-Worlds-Emergency-Maintenance-(Oct.-13)

[NA] All Worlds Emergency Maintenance (Oct. 13)

At the following time, we will be performing emergency maintenance on FINAL FANTASY XIV to implement patch 1.19a. During this period, FINAL FANTASY XIV will be unavailable.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your understanding.

* Clients will update automatically upon launch after release of the patch.

* Patch download rates may vary depending on server congestion.

* Comprehensive patch notes will be posted on the Lodestone the day of the patch's release.

[Date & Time]
Oct. 13, 2011 from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. (PDT)

* The completion time may be subject to change.

[Affected Service]
- FINAL FANTASY XIV

Munba

And Halloween event:
http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/topics/detail?id=c85f57ace13c6a3a1788b658fcade3df0964a333

1250_1.png

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Munba said:

Saved actions + More Fingerprints = Win.

[dev1202] The rate at which the Disciple of the Land ability Fingerprints of the Gods triggers has been increased. Also, once the ability has triggered, its effect will remain active for all gathering attempts at the current gathering point.

[dev1203] Actions and abilities set to the action bar are now saved when changing classes.
When changing to a class for which action bar settings have been saved, those settings will automatically be loaded. Any recast timers in place will not be reset by changing classes.

As part of this feature, the below changes have been made:
Bar placement of weapon-specific actions (e.g., conjurer’s Spirit Dart) is now saved.
Bar placement of the Throw action is now saved. Throw may also be overwritten by other actions and unequipped from the action bar. If saved, Throw appears even when changing classes with no throwing weapon equipped. If the Throw command is overwritten or removed from the action bar, equipping a throwing weapon will cause it to automatically be set to the first available slot.

The bar placement of the Stone Throw action is saved when changing to a Disciple of War or Magic class, but not when changing to a Disciple of the Land of Hand class.

* Saved action bar settings are loaded automatically when changing classes. Since it is possible to change from a level 50 class to a level 1 class, or to change between classes with significant differences in action bar settings, it is necessary to reset existing action bar settings to implement this feature. Action bars will therefore be cleared when changing to a class for the first time after patch 1.19a goes live. Player action bar settings will then be loaded for all future changes to that class. We apologize for any inconvenience resulting from this.

gillty

Banned
Passed out during last nights PL from the cold meds I'm on.

Woke up level 31 ^^, thats 10 levels and it seems like just in time.

Thank you dental & co. <3

Whogie

Luckily my friend joined right at 1.19 and I was able to catch him up to me.
This game needs level syncing if it's going to scale to the highest member.

1.19a said:
An issue wherein battles could not be sustained with an enemy that had left its territory.
Oh thank God.
Glad abilities save now too.

Teknoman

Conceited said:
PL gone already? That sucks.

Aw just jump in an exp party and beat down some beast tribes :p

I wonder what the leve history evaluation leve brings...

The following are all factors taken into consideration in the evaluation:
How many faction levequests of a specific type are in your history
How many different types (Valor, Tenacity, Wisdom, etc.) of leves are in your history
How many city-states you have accepted leves from
Whether all the leves in your history have the same border
The level of your highest class
Combinations of the aforementioned factors will determine the size of the completion bonus. Factors that determine all additional compensation (guild tokens, etc.) are the same as those for normal levequests.

* One leve allowance will be required to accept the levequest awarded after the evaluation.
* Completion bonuses added to the leve will be reflected in the leve details viewable in the Journal.

So it might be beneficial now to only choose leves from a certain faction or two/ have certain card displays? Even the borders around the plates are factored in...so depending on how rewarding these special leves are...that could really change up how people view them.

Wazzim

Banned
Anyone else having server problems? I can't get past the main menu, a box opens saying there is some kind of error with the server.

Kyudo

Neo Member
Wazzim said:
Anyone else having server problems? I can't get past the main menu, a box opens saying there is some kind of error with the server.
Server maintenance going on right now for 1.19a.

Jinko

Wazzim said:

It's kind of ironic that in this patch it will now give you the message "The server is undergoing maintenance. Please try logging in again later."

Pretty shocking it took them a year to add this :D

lol51

Here's all the item changes in this patch:

http://www.ffxiv-db.com/revision.php?new=2011.10.12.0001&old=2011.10.04.0000
  • Angler's Hat (Blue) -> From Suits: All Classes to Requires: Discipline Of The Land
  • Angler's Hat -> From Requires: Discipline Of The Land to Suits: All Classes
  • Mythril Haubergeon -> No more +5 Strength
  • Cobalt Haubergeon -> No more +6 Strength
  • Sheepskin Mitts -> No more +1 Attack Power
  • Leather Mitts -> No more +2 Attack Power
  • The other changes seem to be translation fixes

ffxiv-db.com's Item database is now updated to current version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom