• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they were hoping to fund this 2.0 development and the PS3 release by charging subs now... We'll never see the PS3 game. This gets more and more like Hellgate London everyday.

Apparently they haven't even, after a year, fixed linkshells yet. And yet they are projecting the completion of this dense, feature-rich, aesthetically stunning, wet dream battle interface in a years time, the Square-time equivalent of 2 months for a normal developer. I just don't even know what to say.

welp...

*puts $10 bill into an envelope and mails to SE*

MomoPufflet said:
Apparently they haven't even, after a year, fixed linkshells yet.

Linkshell/Friends List/Social infrastructure overhaul is in patch 1.20 (Nov/Dec)

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
I think its waaaaaay too early to bring back subs, but I'd imagine they are getting pretty tired of hemorrhaging money. I'm willing to bet they are going to lose a TON of players by doing this though.

I haven't decided what I'll do yet, but I'll probably end up paying.

Alchemy

Well my interest in jumping with 1.19 was cute, but over with announcement of subs returning before 2.0 comes out. I'll check back when 2.0 rolls around assuming this game is even still operational.

Jinko

MomoPufflet said:
Apparently they haven't even, after a year, fixed linkshells yet. And yet they are projecting the completion of this dense, feature-rich, aesthetically stunning, wet dream battle interface in a years time, the Square-time equivalent of 2 months for a normal developer. I just don't even know what to say.

You can't fix something like that until you get the basics sorted, much of the UI changes will address party search, link shell management and the rest of it.

Read what it says in the schedule.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Looked at my chatlog history, Misaki Rena was online. Sorry I didn't see your tells, but we all transfarred to a different linkshell.

Ronok said:
Ok, I'm finally reinstalling the game. I want to see the game before it becomes billed so that I can make a decision. Is the gaf server still Lindblum yeah? :-/
Yep.

I love my Lala but seriously... male miqote FTW!! I hope they let me rename my character along with recreation. See you guys (and gals) in version 2.0 when worlds are abolished and we can play with anyone. No server migration required. :D

DrDogg

Okay, the new announcement got me really excited. I'm going to hop on within the next few days to see how things have changed before I have to start paying.

I'd rather not pay before 2.0, but I've also been paying for an unused FFXI for nearly two years. I guess I'll just cancel that when XIV starts billing.

Anything I need to know before I hop on? I haven't touched XIV in probably 6 months.

- Are leves/behest(?) still the primary source of XP?
- Do people party outside of leves?
- Is the LS still the same? I think I'm on the second LS, but it was filling up last time I played.
- Can anyone walk me through some stuff when I get back online? I promise I won't complain.

Victrix

*beard*
Doh.

I was really pleased with the changes they've been making and have planned.

But it is way, way, way too early to charge for this.

No way in hell I'm paying a monthly fee for this with the Guild Wars 2 beta, Diablo 3, Torchlight 2, and other fun MP stuff all around the corner, none of which has a monthly fee.

I wish them well, I'll check back in after a few more patches and see if they've turned it around fully.

Jinko

ROBOKITTYZILLA said:
I love my Lala but seriously... male miqote FTW!! I hope they let me rename my character along with recreation. See you guys (and gals) in version 2.0 when worlds are abolished and we can play with anyone. No server migration required. :D

Wait what no world ? where did you see this !

Jinko said:
Wait what no world ? where did you see this !

I probably read into it a bit but in the first PDF file outline under the "Reboot" section it reads:

A Server System Built to Support a Worldless Model

* Party/content matching for players from different World servers

. . .

"After that, we will begin work on the worldless party matching system" . . .

Worlds may still exist but at the very least it sounds like you can party up and do content and instances and the like with players from any world.

Allard

ROBOKITTYZILLA said:
I probably read into it a bit but in the first PDF file outline under the "Reboot" section it reads:

. . .

Worlds may still exist but at the very least it sounds like you can party up and do content and instances and the like with players from any world.

That's actually reassuring to see. I hope there is still going to be plenty of non-instanced content in the works in the new Eorzea but the one thing they can't afford in their reboot is people 'waiting' or having a hard time accessing content due to amount of players on a given server. Its a trade off they have to do for the sake of the future of the game, even if I don't like all the instancing of the content. It keeps content relevant and makes it easier to access.

DrDogg said:
Okay, the new announcement got me really excited. I'm going to hop on within the next few days to see how things have changed before I have to start paying.

I'd rather not pay before 2.0, but I've also been paying for an unused FFXI for nearly two years. I guess I'll just cancel that when XIV starts billing.

Anything I need to know before I hop on? I haven't touched XIV in probably 6 months.

- Are leves/behest(?) still the primary source of XP?
- Do people party outside of leves?
- Is the LS still the same? I think I'm on the second LS, but it was filling up last time I played.
- Can anyone walk me through some stuff when I get back online? I promise I won't complain.

Leves are the best 'solo' way to get EXP. Behest is decent EXP if you happen to be around for the event, also hope someone else there to be there with you (Behest is now every 30 minutes, the EXP is much diminished compared to what it was in the early days. Now behest and leves give a majority of there EXP at the end of completion and scale based on the level you do it. More EXP the higher you are and the higher the leve/behest level. The actual Mob EXP is now normalized) EXP chain and link parties along with dungeons are now the best way to get EXP. That should also answer question number 2 :p

Not on lindlblum so can't answer!

Jinko

ROBOKITTYZILLA said:

. . .

Oh yea, I think it just means cross server dungeons.

Allard it says in one of the PDFs that all open world dungeon will be converted to instance based ones, I'm assuming this is to accommodate people from difference servers doing dungeons together.

Allard

Jinko said:
Oh yea, I think it just means cross server dungeons.

Allard it says in one of the PDFs that all open world dungeon will be converted to instance based ones, I'm assuming this is to accommodate people from difference servers doing dungeons together.

I saw that, that's why I said I hope they don't go ridiculously overboard with instancing, because I saw all the current dungeons are getting instanced that are not instanced now. I want a balance to be struck but I can understand the positives for the change.

Mims

Well shoot after being deployed for 7 months I was hoping to come back and play for a little it before they started charging again. Though I will return back to the states in early November so I might have some time to decide. If anything I might just wait till v2.0. It looks so good.

Allard

Kagari said:
Hey guys, I need your FFXIV questions for an upcoming opportunity here with the producer.

He may not be able to answer it but I would really like to know exactly where he wants to go with Player housing. We are getting private rooms in February/April at Inn's but I want to know how much control we will have if any in these rooms, and how much control we will have for the free company estates happening in 2.0 and beyond. Even if not all of it will come to fruition I would at least like to know the 'path' or idea he wants to take with it so he can get some feedback on the idea ahead of time.

Munba

Kagari said:
Hey guys, I need your FFXIV questions for an upcoming opportunity here with the producer.

Also my question is a bit in the future but.. i would like to know if the own-sea-ship feature (build and sail) is still under their future projects (there was a video time ago about it, with the old staff).

And if they are using some Luminous features in the new engine.

Thx. :)

Jomjom

Banned
Kagari said:

Why are they charging so early? Don't they know that there will be next to no people left on the servers once they start charging, especially because its a year before the actual big changes are made?

kiryogi

Banned
Rentahamster said:
Looked at my chatlog history, Misaki Rena was online. Sorry I didn't see your tells, but we all transfarred to a different linkshell.

Yep.

Whaaaaaaaaat? Rena? It's like the entire LS is coming back :D

Londa

Banned
Kagari said:
Will there be a Thief job and if so can he please give Thief decent melee skills along with mug not only stealing gil or items but do physical damage like past console FF games? A good example of a decent damage dealing Thief job would be in FF3 (DS version).

Kagari said:

A lot of work goes into the cinematics in the game. Will there be plans to add a feature similar to FFXI's Goblin Footprints to review certain cutscenes?

Also, add that we active players genuinely appreciate the ceaseless work and effort being put into reforming the game. To him, all encouragement is given, and to his team, all the best wishes for a successful venture to reshape Eorzea.

Allard

djplaeskool said:
A lot of work goes into the cinematics in the game. Will there be plans to add a feature similar to FFXI's Goblin Footprints to review certain cutscenes?

Also, add that we active players genuinely appreciate the ceaseless work and effort being put into reforming the game. To him, all encouragement is given, and to his team, all the best wishes for a successful venture to reshape Eorzea.

First question was answered :p. They said in the new blue-print that cutscene re-watching is coming, but will come in 2.0 because they don't want to go through the work of coding for a world that won't be there in a years time. They will code for the new one and you can watch your old cutscene in the new world (assuming the quest/mission even still exists in any capacity after the world relaunch). They said that peoples reward for playing the game till the release is to experience events that will never happen again, gone permanently after the world changes.

Munba

djplaeskool said:

It is already in the System and Content pdf (page 2),
Release of a feature to replay cutscenes.

edit: beaten lol

Bah. Can't view the pdfs at work. Thanks for the heads up.
Tell Yoshi if he's ever in Atlanta, I know a place where we can get a fantastic cup of coffee.

Munba

Reinheart from official forums is going to translate some art,

adobeacrobatstandardffx.jpg

..Magitek Armor Hangar :0

This time I'm calling Wada's bluff. They will have to resume free play when 99% of the remaining 10,000 - 15,000 players all quit when subscriptions begin. They are out of their minds if they think the game is anywhere near a state where people will pay $15 a month for it.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
When you think about it from Wada's usually short-sighted perspective: why not charge? Even if they only have 200 paying subscribers left, that'll still pay for the team's caffeine every month.

Problem is, how many of those leavers will care to look back when 2.0 launches and Guild Wars 2 is out for a nice 60$ lifetime subscription.

Jomjom

Banned
Lyphen said:
When you think about it from Wada's usually short-sighted perspective: why not charge? Even if they only have 200 paying subscribers left, that'll still pay for the team's caffeine every month.

Problem is, how many of those leavers will care to look back when 2.0 launches and Guild Wars 2 is out for a nice 60$ lifetime subscription.

Yeah that is the major problem. Sure there are people who will stay; some people in this thread have said as much. However, I have to think that is a small percentage of the total population. They will lose a huge amount of goodwill if they start charging. I would also imagine that most people who leave in Nov/Dec because of the subscription fee will be loath to return when 2.0 releases in over a year. I mean if 2.0 was going to release a couple of months from the resumption of fees, that would be ok, but not when it's scheduled for some time in 2013. 2013!

Kagari said:

I'd like to know more about that dragonlike race hinted about after Male Mithra/ Female Highlanders/ Female Roegadyn are implemented. Are they possibly like FFTA2's Gria?

Onemic

All this FFXIV info is making me curious about this game again, but I know I probably shouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. Why do you guys still play the game? What does it have that other MMO's dont other than the FF name? And what are the current problems still plaguing the game?

Bottom line, is it worth spending $20 on this thing?

Allard

jling84 said:
Yeah that is the major problem. Sure there are people who will stay; some people in this thread have said as much. However, I have to think that is a small percentage of the total population. They will lose a huge amount of goodwill if they start charging. I would also imagine that most people who leave in Nov/Dec because of the subscription fee will be loath to return when 2.0 releases in over a year. I mean if 2.0 was going to release a couple of months from the resumption of fees, that would be ok, but not when it's scheduled for some time in 2013. 2013!

Ok I think one thing needs to be understood. They are charging for beta and hoping for the current population to buck the bill. Wada knows they will lose people (he even said as much although subtly in the statement) but the trial when 2.0 happens is going to be for more then 30 days. The trial is from launch of the new 2.0 client and the launch of the official box of the client along with the PS3 release. During the PS3 beta phase the whole client is free to play which means a solid 3-4 months of free trial for those on the fence.

Also the subscription issues is much less then you think. Their is a good portion of people that have stuck with this game and want it to be the best it can but didn't want to pay unless they saw a solid foundation that they felt was worth paying and playing for. I see on a lot of sites that just the mere timeline alone and the changes coming (despite the pay to play) are enough to keep them around. It definitely isn't for all of them, and I know some people just joined recently because it was free to play. It is a gamble but it was a gamble that I really don't think is going to hurt the games chance at a future as much as you think. 2.0 is the gamble, what happens before that is as far they are concerned less consequential. The servers cost too much to run free to play with no revenue but they didn't want to shut the game down and wait for relaunch. So they picked the middle ground, let people who want to play the old world till the re-release, the revision gets a new trial. They also want to make people know it WILL be Pay to Play model, and will not be free to play indefinitely including when its re-released.

abq

onemic said:
All this FFXIV info is making me curious about this game again, but I know I probably shouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. Why do you guys still play the game? What does it have that other MMO's dont other than the FF name? And what are the current problems still plaguing the game?

Bottom line, is it worth spending $20 on this thing?
No monthly fee... oh wait...

Jinko

Kagari said:

I'd like to know if the new graphics engine is using Luminous and whether we can expect DX11 features ?

Do they plan to add gathering nodes to the mini-map like other mmo's ?
Any plans on adding more voice work to the game?

Says in the PDF that all cutscenes will be completely voiced in 2.0, all 4 languages. (I'll believe it when i see it of course)

Kagari said:

I'd like to know if there any plans to give more detailed feedback to players on what stats/attributes actually do. For example if I increase my piety I notice that my enfeebling magic skill goes up but I am not given any indication as to what this does. Most enfeebling spells seem to be on a binary hit/miss system so how does increasing enfeebling potency help me? Does it increase the damage of damage over time spells? How are we supposed to know if effects like these are not shown in the combat log? Does it help enfeebling spells actually land? If so then what is the magic accuracy attribute for? One could say that they want us to test these things out and find out for ourselves but discussing tools such as log parsers is against the ToS on their forums.

I could go on but suffice it to say I would much rather that stats would say exactly what they do. For example instead of +10 attack magic potency something like +2% to attack magic damage.

jiggle

Kagari said:

just to put the discussion to rest, finally
ask them if they are gonna hit everyone with lv1 and character recreation

kiryogi

Banned
jiggle said:
just to put the discussion to rest, finally
ask them if they are gonna hit everyone with lv1 and character recreation
Yoshida has been asked this serveral times and have said we will be keeping our characters. We will be given the option to modify our characters appearance/race if wed like, but all our progress will stay intact.

jiggle

yeah i know and it makes no sense to
but it doesn't hurt to get a reassurance
considering they're willing to essentially destroy the whole world and reboot

did wow:c do that?

Kandinsky

kiryogi said:
Yoshida has been asked this serveral times and have said we will be keeping our characters. We will be given the option to modify our characters appearance/race if wed like, but all our progress will stay intact.
Did he say anything about gil? :p

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
jiggle said:
yeah i know and it makes no sense to
but it doesn't hurt to get a reassurance
considering they're willing to essentially destroy the whole world and reboot

Cataclysm was an expansion to move the old world's story and content forward, not a relaunch.

jiggle said:

Cataclysm was weird because they replaced all the original zones from the original game. So when you start the game with a new character or alt, you go through the Cataclysm zones which occur AFTER the events of Wrath of the Lich King. If you enter zones added by The Burning Crusade and WotLK, you actually travel backwards in time to before the Cataclysm event.

Yeah, this is one particularly strange mangling of time they did in WoW.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Unknown Soldier said:
Cataclysm was weird because they replaced all the original zones from the original game. So when you start the game with a new character or alt, you go through the Cataclysm zones which occur AFTER the events of Wrath of the Lich King. If you enter zones added by The Burning Crusade and WotLK, you actually travel backwards in time to before the Cataclysm event.

Yeah, this is one particularly strange mangling of time they did in WoW.
Even better if you're a blood elf or draenei! Distant past to present to distant past to past to present.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Unknown Soldier said:
Kessah Shrykewolf hasn't come back. Someone was saying he got into the Diablo III Beta, we'll probably never see him again. :|

o_O I'm looking at him right now. Not in 14 though :)

:Says he might come on sometime soon and try things out.. maybe.

Riposte

Question: "How will we control our chocobos and summoned/tamed pets in battle?"

Suggestion-Fake-Question: "Would it be hard to implement optional level caps to quests and missions in order to make the more challenging?"

Teknoman

jling84 said:
Why are they charging so early? Don't they know that there will be next to no people left on the servers once they start charging, especially because its a year before the actual big changes are made?

Thats actually a pretty good question. Unless the patch that coincides with the sub start has as much/if not more new additions as 1.19 had.

My Question: With the new changes coming in 2.0, will new players be able to experience some of the older content such as Bowl of Embers or the current instance dungeons, or will those only be accessible to those that completed them or gained access to them pre 2.0?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom