• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caj814

whoops wrong thread lol. anyways how many are sticking through for the subscription fee come nov? I want to see how everything turns out by early next year first.

Teknoman

Do we know if they are going to keep the same fees/billing system? I think I still have some crysta left over from long time ago...I know you can use those Ultimate game codes too.

Londa

Banned
I dont understand the world thing. Does this mean we can go to different worlds on the fly? or is everyone on one server?

kiryogi

Banned
Caj814 said:
whoops wrong thread lol. anyways how many are sticking through for the subscription fee come nov? I want to see how everything turns out by early next year first.
Count me in. Since 1.18 I've been pretty impressed and enamored.

Teknoman

Londa said:
I dont understand the world thing. Does this mean we can go to different worlds on the fly? or is everyone on one server?

They usually just call servers "worlds" in XI or XIV. So i guess it just means certain content will let you party with people from different servers if necessary.

Londa

Banned
Caj814 said:

I paid for 3 months last year, so I have no choice but to see how things go

gillty

Banned
Did my first dungeon "The Thousand Maws of Toto-Rak", pretty basic but got me pumped!
ffxivgame2011-10-1423-9u8e.png

Got my Serpent Seals and my Chocobo, say hi to Gary :D
ffxivgame2011-10-1501-tuuv.png

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Caj814 said:

Count me in.

Ravidrath

I'm enjoying it at the moment, so will likely pony up when that time comes.

I also think they're probably jumping the gun a bit - the last major new gameplay system they're adding are jobs, and that's one that's likely to have a profound effect on the game.

I'm also a little disappointed that they're "abolishing" seamless areas, but if it makes the areas more appealing, I'm down. Just seems like a real streaming engine could solve this, but it could be that all streaming is overwhelmed by streaming in characters.

The server-less stuff is an amazing improvement, though - we were talking at work the other day about how MMOs need to figure that shit out, because it's always a huge impediment to enjoying the game with your friends.

Also, confirmation of an Auction House...!

Jinko

Kandinsky said:
Did he say anything about gil? :p

I duno what your fixation on gil is, you could play for less than a month in this game and have over 10 million easy. (probably more)

Sure it may be a little hard to start off but isn't that the way it should be ?

Another Question for SE devs:- What is your opinion on adding strict level caps in dungeons/instances to provide more challenging low level content.

I'm curious how many people would have completed the 25 man Ifrit fight had they not been over leveled.

Rawk Hawk

ZiZ said:
couldn't they at least have us pay $8 instead of $15?

so, who's staying and who's leaving once the billing hits?

my current biggest gripe on the game is that there aren't enough people playing. and as soon as billing hits that number will decrease drastically.
I'm leaving, maybe if this was 2.0 coming up, but I have a hard time paying a year for a game that isn't even the game we'll be playing. It's like paying a monthly fee to play their demo.

I appreciate them trying to better the game, and I know it requires money to do that, but with the 2.0 an entire year away (barring delays), I can't justify paying a monthly fee right now.

Jinko

Rawk Hawk said:
I'm leaving, maybe if this was 2.0 coming up, but I have a hard time paying a year for a game that isn't even the game we'll be playing. It's like paying a monthly fee to play their demo.

I appreciate them trying to better the game, and I know it requires money to do that, but with the 2.0 an entire year away (barring delays), I can't justify paying a monthly fee right now.

Depends how you look at it I suppose, you could look at it from the aspect that the world is going to be changing and only those playing during the destruction of Eorzea will get to see that.

If the majority of the linkshell quits I guess I will too, depends who stays and who goes.

kiryogi

Banned
Rawk Hawk said:

Noo! Who will repair my jewelry!

Rawk Hawk

Jinko said:
Depends how you look at it I suppose, you could look at it from the aspect that the world is going to be changing and only those playing during the destruction of Eorzea will get to see that.

If the majority of the linkshell quits I guess I will too, depends who stays and who goes.
Hmm true I guess, would certainly be interesting to watch the game change. Even if it's only watching how the community reacts... I suppose in the end it will depend on the cost, but I truthfully think I might take some time off and maybe come back with 2.0 if I'm still looking for an MMO fix.

kiryogi said:
Noo! Who will repair my jewelry!
Honestly, think there are a few GSM's who are higher rank than me anyway, con one of them into helping. XD

Desi

i still need to get new/repaired knuckles.

I may pay just to see if I can bust through the story with some peeps before they close it off.

Onemic

I can't believe I did it...I bought FFXIV, now I can share in your pain and misery

Game is installing and I'm only going to assume that there are a fuck ton of patches to DL after as well. One question though, one of the major complaints about FFXIV at launch was its broken market/bazaar system, has this been fixed yet?

You can search the wards, but you still need to physically go up to a retainer and buy an item from it. And there's still no way to search by keyword. You have to know what category the item you are looking for is in (which is fucking annoying since many things don't have obvious categorization, especially materials), choose that category, and scroll through a list of items to find the one you want.

There are shit ton of patches as Squenix doesn't "roll up" patches the way Microsoft does with Windows Service Packs. Hint: to automate the patching, go into Control Panel, open User Accounts, select Change User Account Control settings, and turn UAC entirely off. Otherwise the patcher will demand UAC access every time it runs a patch and you have to sit there and click OK over and over again when the patcher wants UAC access or patching will fail. Squenix makes such "quality" PC software. :|

onemic said:
I can't believe I did it...I bought FFXIV, now I can share in your pain and misery

Game is installing and I'm only going to assume that there are a fuck ton of patches to DL after as well. One question though, one of the major complaints about FFXIV at launch was its broken market/bazaar system, has this been fixed yet?

I just reinstalled, patching took me about 45 minutes.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
onemic said:
4 hours later, still patching :/

You can get patches here too either by torrent or direct download.

http://tehkrizz.net/FFXIV/downloads.php

I removed 14 from my comp so I don't remember the folder exactly. I think it's C:\Users\<USERNAME>\Documents\My Games\FINAL FANTASY XIV\downloads\ffxiv\<set of number>\patch

You should see some .patch files if I remember correctly and can just download the files and put them in there and then restart the launcher and it should install them.

Onemic

darkblade77 said:
You are using the bittorrent links to get the patches right? Not the actual patcher for the whole thing?

I'm using the actual patcher which uses a torrent like method to DL files. For the most part I'm uploading way more than I'm downloading and worse, there's no option for me to configure this like blizzards patcher. Right now I'm uploading at 50kb/s and downloading at 0kb/s :/ I don't know if I should DL them direct either because I'm already at 60% complete. I'm currently at patch 2011/7/20, if I cancel this one and use the link above will it automatically delete the rest that the patcher has already downloaded? Or am I safe?

ohhh Im gonna be so critical of this game when I play it

Allard

Munba said:

Those translations have me hyped 100 times what it was before. Snow and small villages littered about :D. Looks like that black shroud zone is North Black Shroud. They are adding an entrance to it from Gridania too. Also the zone lines to Coerthas FINALLY have mountains in the distance so it doesn't make you go 'wtf' when you go from trees to mountains. Also looks like they are adding multiple ways to get into the zones which is more like every other game. 2 ways to get into Coerthas from North Black Shroud, the normal zone line and going through the Xali base. This also makes me wonder if they are planning to re add all the old sub zones back into the game. Some were not used in the slightest outside of crystals/aetherytes and mobs no one can kill. The reason I mention that is because the 'sub zone' of Ishgard has an entrance into the black shroud which means they might be making Dragonhead and camp glory all one zone. Basically I think they are planning to make 3 zones for the original 5 zone regions and make a rebuild of each to take small parts or all of past zones and it turns into something completely different. We are also likely to have zones now for the actual Beastmen Strongholds (like FFXI).

It looks like the whole game world is going to look so different that outside of a couple choice locations and landmarks we won't even be able to recognize what used to be the old zone.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
onemic said:
I'm using the actual patcher which uses a torrent like method to DL files. For the most part I'm uploading way more than I'm downloading and worse, there's no option for me to configure this like blizzards patcher. Right now I'm uploading at 50kb/s and downloading at 0kb/s :/ I don't know if I should DL them direct either because I'm already at 60% complete

ohhh Im gonna be so critical of this game when I play it

You should just have to download the patch files that you haven't already downloaded. You can go to that folder i pointed out and there should be the patch files you already downloaded in there (and the one you are currently downloading i think so that one may not be complete).

Onemic

Dega said:
You should just have to download the patch files that you haven't already downloaded. You can go to that folder i pointed out and there should be the patch files you already downloaded in there (and the one you are currently downloading i think so that one may not be complete).

MUCH better, thinking it should only take about an hour to download the rest of the patches from that site, much appreciated

lol51

some ffxiv-db info:

redid the recipe and component section for better formatting. example:

http://www.ffxiv-db.com/?id=10003015

Also added Gil price for items that are sold by NPC - i wasnt able to decode the specific NPC and shop link - yet ;) . Having the price and knowing something is sold by NPC does help when making crafting decisions and such.

http://www.ffxiv-db.com/?id=10009111

also results load much quicker as the data is html based and not generated in realtime via php.

Onemic

After 6 hours of downloading and patching I'm diving in, Lindlblum is the server right? I'm starting off in ul dah. Time to see what this game is made of!

lol51

onemic said:
After 6 hours of downloading and patching I'm diving in, Lindlblum is the server right? I'm starting off in ul dah. Time to see what this game is made of!

yes Lindblum and Uldah is major hub city

Onemic

Okay first impressions 15min into the game:

The presentation for this game is unmatched, beautiful visuals that are bar none the best I've ever seen in an MMO, and the audio is pretty slick too. Performance seems to be above what I initially expected(around 30fps average, which I'm guessing isn't what it would have been if I got the game at launch) I love how they added actually presentation value towards the quests(starter quest anyway, hopefully this is a trend) and its not just me standing and reading a block of text from an NPC. The combat system seems good enough by the tutorial instance I played, so time will tell if I'll love it or hate it.

One big step up this has over FFXI are the controls. It's a relief that I can use WASD controls by default, which made my experience with FFXI infuriating. The only (small) gripes I have so far is simply the fact that you cant right clock on NPC's and hostiles, but can only left click them. Also it seems like this game takes from FFXI's menu heavy style, which I can see becoming a nuisance for me later on. Are there shortcuts other than the M key for your map? Besides these nitpickings though I'm really excited to see what this game has to offer.

Oh and my FFXIV name:

onemic | Karsius Zeldana

Is there any GAF guild that I can join? I'm rolling a highlander gladiator. I'm confused about the class system though. You can be any class that you want? Even though you picked one from the outset? And from the character creation screen it seems like they made crafting professions classes as well.

Oh and it seems like there aren't any real options for changing the video settings(the game defaulted to window mode) is there any way to get advanced video options? Right now I just get character shadows, physics, dust effects, and extended drawing, with no way to turn off vsync(which is limited to 60fps)

kiryogi

Banned
onemic said:
Okay first impressions 15min into the game:

The presentation for this game is unmatched, beautiful visuals that are bar none the best I've ever seen in an MMO, and the audio is pretty slick too. Performance seems to be above what I initially expected(around 30fps average, which I'm guessing isn't what it would have been if I got the game at launch) I love how they added actually presentation value towards the quests(starter quest anyway, hopefully this is a trend) and its not just me standing and reading a block of text from an NPC. The combat system seems good enough by the tutorial instance I played, so time will tell if I'll love it or hate it.

One big step up this has over FFXI are the controls. It's a relief that I can use WASD controls by default, which made my experience with FFXI infuriating. The only (small) gripes I have so far is simply the fact that you cant right clock on NPC's and hostiles, but can only left click them. Also it seems like this game takes from FFXI's menu heavy style, which I can see becoming a nuisance for me later on. Are there shortcuts other than the M key for your map? Besides these nitpickings though I'm really excited to see what this game has to offer.

Oh and my FFXIV name:

onemic | Karsius Zeldana

Is there any GAF guild that I can join? I'm rolling a highlander gladiator. I'm confused about the class system though. You can be any class that you want? Even though you picked one from the outset? And from the character creation screen it seems like they made crafting professions classes as well.

Oh and it seems like there aren't any real options for changing the video settings(the game defaulted to window mode) is there any way to get advanced video options? Right now I just get character shadows, physics, dust effects, and extended drawing, with no way to turn off vsync(which is limited to 60fps)
You should be able to change the window mode and other visual options in the external config.. do it before launching the game. Meanwhile Guild and Ls wise, yes, we have a gaf ls. See Renta Hamster for an invite.

Finally for the class system, you can change to any other class you'd like at any time provided you have the equipment for it. IE equipping a lance will change your profession into a Lancer, and equipping a dagger or sword will change you back into a Gladiator.

gillty

Banned
More graphic options can be found in the external config utility, don't bother playing in fullscreen mode, the game just kicks you out with an error whenever you tab. If you have a crossfire or SLI setup its pretty much useless because of this.

Heres a generic autohotkey borderless script I created during the beta to mimic fullscreen with the benefits (and performance shortcomings) of windowed. I included the common resolutions.
http://www.ffxivcore.com/topic/10729-borderless-window-script/

btw the keyboard + mouse controls were ass during launch, all hail replacement producer yoshi!

Onemic

My performance seems to vary wildly depending on where I am. In the city I get around 20-35fps depending on the population density(lowest I got was 17 in the guild you go to after the tutorial instance) When I go outside however, my FPS jumps to an average of 55-60FPS(maybe more but I'm capped at 60 with the vsync) is this how it usually is? And can vsync be turned off at all? I checked the ext config and no option for vsync exists. If it's forced by square will turning on triple buffering help with performance?

I noticed the fullscreen tabbing out problem, but I dont mind it that much as I like playing full screen because of the performance increase.(especially so because of the FPS I get in cities) Plus I have it added on steam so I can do most of what I want without having to tab out.

Mature

Has there been a definitive explanation as to how the new job system will play out? Will it just be a rebranded version of what already exists? It just seems like having white mage and black mage as opposed to CON and THM is such a paradigm shift that they will have to re-do all the skill sets (something I'm all for). Is that sort of the direction they're heading in?

Ravidrath

Mature said:
Has there been a definitive explanation as to how the new job system will play out? Will it just be a rebranded version of what already exists? It just seems like having white mage and black mage as opposed to CON and THM is such a paradigm shift that they will have to re-do all the skill sets (something I'm all for). Is that sort of the direction they're heading in?

They're keeping the classes, but you turn into a job by equipping a special stone.

From what they've said so far...

Classes are more solo-oriented because you can cobble together abilities from any other class.

Jobs will have pre-defined abilities, and lots of exclusive abilities. They're designed to have strong roles in party play, and will not be particularly viable in solo.

Mature

Oh so they're entirely different from the class system? I see. I was under the impression it was replacing the classes with jobs. That makes his explanations a lot more coherent. So undertaking a job is almost like narrowing (but increasing the potency of) your skill set for a party.

Ravidrath

Mature said:
Oh so they're entirely different from the class system? I see. I was under the impression it was replacing the classes with jobs. That makes his explanations a lot more coherent. So undertaking a job is almost like narrowing (but increasing the potency of) your skill set for a party.

Pretty much.

Equip the stone, and...

Your GLD trades attack for more defense and some healing to come a Paladin.

Your CON loses all its elemental spells to power up its curing power and become a White Mage.

Etc.

daoster

So guys, I've bought this game awhile back, and I played for like all of 1 hour....looking to get back into it, but I was wondering...

are there any good sites with a beginner's guide on what to do? FFXI had so much resources, and I remember going to ZAM a lot to get advice and read up about my class, but ZAM forums seem kinda....dead...well, the general one is kinda busy, but it's mainly talking about the updates.

+ what server is GAF guild and LS in?

Teknoman

daoster said:
So guys, I've bought this game awhile back, and I played for like all of 1 hour....looking to get back into it, but I was wondering...

are there any good sites with a beginner's guide on what to do? FFXI had so much resources, and I remember going to ZAM a lot to get advice and read up about my class, but ZAM forums seem kinda....dead...well, the general one is kinda busy, but it's mainly talking about the updates.

+ what server is GAF guild and LS in?

Lindblum, send a tell to Renta Hamster and if he's busy, we'll do our best to make it to you.

gillty

Banned
Teknoman said:
Lindblum, send a tell to Renta Hamster and if he's busy, we'll do our best to make it to you.
Just finished setting him up with the pearl and showing him around uldah. Also tried to explain guildleves and the like, be sure to help him out if you see him!

edit: was refering to onemic

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Questions for Yoshida:

1. Given that you are asking customers to pay to play an unfinished game, why ask for the full price? Why not charge something more reasonable like $5 since this is essentially a paid beta.

2. Once the game is pay to play, the population will undoubtedly shift. Only the most hardcore of fans would stick around to pay to play a beta. Are you at all concerned with the effect this will have on the quality of user feedback? Since the game is still free to play, you have many people playing the game and offering feedback - players who normally wouldn't bother doing so if they had to pay money. One of the stated goals in the roadmap is to appeal to a wide diversity of players, and shutting the door to all those potential testers out there might narrow the kinds of feedback you are able to receive. You may have a substantial in-house QA and testing team, but that didn't stop the first iteration of FFXIV from being released in a horrible state.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom