• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onemic

l1nkown said:
I'm somewhat new to the game. Since its possible to be powerleveled quickly, i'm leaning toward leveling my crafting. I chose armorcrafting. Does crafting get anymore fun? I mean it just gets really boring doing the same thing over and over again. How do you guys put up with getting crafting to 50?

Really? Coming from WoW, I'd say the crafting/gathering system in XIV is one of the definite highlights of the game, as you're actually an active participant in the process and you have a direct influence on how good the item you're crafting can be. The risk/reward incentive is much more fun to me than simply smelting 200 obsidian ore and looking at the screen for 10 minutes.

Ravidrath

Teknoman said:
Dalamud will fall.

I think in all likelihood, Dalamud isn't even a moon.

The little spines all over it on the Red Moon event art got me thinking about that.

My guess it's that it's the Thirteenth or something like that, a sealed god. Its taken control of the Garlean emperor, and they're trying to revive by feeding it assloads of Aether.

Teknoman

Ravidrath said:
I think in all likelihood, Dalamud isn't even a moon.

The little spines all over it on the Red Moon event art got me thinking about that.

My guess it's that it's the Thirteenth or something like that, a sealed god. Its taken control of the Garlean emperor, and they're trying to revive by feeding it assloads of Aether.

That would actually be great.

Londa

Banned
Teknoman said:
lol so apparently I bought 3k crysta at launch and forgot about it.

That is what I did, but I think it was like 6k. I need to check to make sure.

djplaeskool said:
Meteor is coming, and there's nothing we can do to stop it.
Everybody Panic!

FF 7 all over again.

My prediction for the story occurs here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27791886&postcount=72

What's interesting is that is pretty much exactly what Squenix did in terms of the game, remaking it almost from scratch. The difference is they didn't shut the old game down while the new one was in development.

My story is awesome though even if it's ripped off almost directly from FFXII. Wait, I mean, because it's ripped off from FFXII. :3

Riposte

Unknown Soldier said:
My prediction for the story occurs here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27791886&postcount=72

What's interesting is that is pretty much exactly what Squenix did in terms of the game, remaking it almost from scratch. The difference is they didn't shut the old game down while the new one was in development.

My story is awesome though even if it's ripped off almost directly from FFXII. Wait, I mean, because it's ripped off from FFXII. :3

Your story sucks for anyone who likes cities other than Limsa. (Maybe you are trying to be ironic?)

Londa

Banned
Yoshi-P:
There even might be areas where you might go: "Why did area become like this!" However, if one decides to continue playing the current game, they will be rewarded with an explanation to the reasons behind why such areas have been transformed to the state they are in the new map. For example, in the new Limsa Lominsa, there exists a massive Colosseum over the the ocean. Players will know the reasons behind why it exists. Other examples include why part of the mountains have become covered in snow, why this area became the lair of the Behemoth, etc etc. Each change we're making to the map has an FFXIV backstory behind it, and if you continue to play and explore the current game, you'll get to experience the surprises behind it.

that sounds exciting.

FFXIV is finally starting to shape-up into a playable MMORPG, but for the people who know nothing about FFXIV except for the failed launch might look at people are who are playing the game now and say: "What, you're still playing that shitty game?" When us, the Dev team, hear such comments, we can't say anything back as it was our sole responsibility for releasing the game in that state. However, this doesn't hold true for the players who play this game as they hold not responsibility for the state of the game. To be blamed for something they have no control over is something that pains me greatly

wow so much bluntness from a JP dev is refreshing. I think I finally have respect for Mr. Yoshi.

Riposte

Londa said:
that sounds exciting.

I want a huge collection of "before/after" images to archive the experience/world of the old game and to show off the new world at the same time.

After all, most players who are currently playing this game are far past the early stages of the game.

This isn't really true at all, Yoshi-P. Though it might be once the monthly fee returns lol.

Teknoman

Londa said:
That is what I did, but I think it was like 6k. I need to check to make sure.

FF 7 all over again.

Crystal Tower theme :p

Or maybe...something more fitting?

I'm betting that the Crystal Tower is going to be the link between Eorzea and Dalamud, a Tower of Babil (FFIV) style dungeon thats half high tech, half crystalline style platforms.

All I know is there better be a section where you have to travel across a balcony, and you can see the entire continent + clouds below.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
So hey, I'm back from my fundraiser, and I'm about to hop on. Anyone on that can toss me a linkshell?

Munba

Teknoman said:
I'm betting that the Crystal Tower is going to be the link between Eorzea and Dalamud, a Tower of Babil (FFIV) style dungeon thats half high tech, half crystalline style platforms.

All I know is there better be a section where you have to travel across a balcony, and you can see the entire continent + clouds below.

That would be truly awesome. With some secret bosses like the crystal dragon Shinryu inside.

Or with this track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcgwxbX9L-E

Munba

Well, the crystal tower you depicted is like a link between the earth and the space.. so it's some sort of otherworldly place :D You could also see stars and planets when you are near the top..

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Ejem...

編: 精霊を呼び出せる召喚士というジョブも追加される?
吉田氏: いずれ実装します。ペットユーザーというのは、MMORPGのクラスでは花形でもありますし。例えば「カーバンクル」は召喚士が呼べる召喚獣です。しかし「イフリート」や「ガルーダ」や「リヴァイアサン」、「オーディン」は蛮神であるというわけです。
GameWatch - Job Summoner where you can summon spirits will also be implemented?
YoshiP - We will eventually implement. Pet users are star in MMORPG class. For example carbuncle is a summon a summoner can call however “Ifrit” or “Garuda” or “Leviathan” or “Odin” are gods.

Munba

I think that is fair. They could implement the 'god summons' only for a limited time to help you in combat. I always find bizzare Odin as your pet lol

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Munba said:
I think that is fair. They could implement the 'god summons' only for a limited time to help you in combat. I always find bizzare Odin as your pet lol

Yeah he mentions on that interview a few concept like you kill the primal, you get the card, every one waits 2 week to get his summon gauge full, then you chose when summon, and when you summon it, the weather on that area change and he will be free again, so you need to get another card to summon him again.

I like that idea.

Londa

Banned
Addition to new Gender.
Including new gender which can be selected as a player character - Highlander Female, Miquote Male, Roegadyn female.

Implementing housing (own home)
First off planning to include as a base for above mentioned free company. Crafters and Gatherers will be able to customize the house. In the future will connect to own home.

New Opening Movie
The new Opening movie made for the New FFXIV is planned to be released at 2012 E3 (Short term for Electronic Entertainment Expo presented at Los Angeles, USA)

Current FFXIV and New FFXIV will merge!
Current FFXIV and New FFXIV has different structure but it doesn’t mean it’s a different product. Current ongoing FFXIV will continue to be repaired and will be involved with the up coming catastrophe. The catastrophe will run throughout the year and once the catastrophe is passed the current FFXIV will merge with the new FFXIV. After that you will not be able to go back to the pre-catastrophe world of Eorzea. So only those that can experience this one time scenario will be those currently continuing FFXIV service. Lets all look at how the world will change.

For post New FFXIV summoning system we have 2 ideas. One is pet type where you can summon monsters or spirits, and for calling out banshin/primal we are thinking of something else. To actually call summon 1 player community can have the right/key to hold and and in 2 weeks having everyone charge their summoning gauge and once summoning it goes back to nature. Summoning with a MMO feel.

GameWatch - Whats your idea on what type of situation can you summon primals?
YoshiP - I think it’s OK to call whenever you like. When you can’t kill the boss in a free company using it as a final card asking “Ifrit beat the crap out of it” or in PvP area taking those heavy (hardcore) players always beating everyone up “Please take them down with one shot”.
It’s OK to go overboard. However you can only use it once and you don’t know when you can kill the next Ifrit and it doesn’t mean that card will come to you next time. When Ifrit gets summoned somewhere it will change the weather of all zones and you can tell someone summoned Ifrit. I think that be FF like MMORPG. It’s just general talk but we have the structure laid out and system is pretty much set so once the server is made we just need to build it.

hint at new weather effects?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rVOIUpwtQtVajEFx5hQOUuWr9JF2yn6R6lAn1gFv3AA/edit?hl=en_US

Riposte said:
Your story sucks for anyone who likes cities other than Limsa. (Maybe you are trying to be ironic?)

You took it too seriously and because of this you failed.

Limsa was spared because it was the southernmost city. Gridania was closest to Garlemald and Uldah was the next closest. Proximity matters in war.

I love how they really are implementing a Cataclysm-esque event to reboot the story. Exactly as I predicted. :3

Riposte

Jinko said:
Reading these interviews this could turn out being the best FF since X :O

It could be a better game than the other FFs(like XI), but it ain't much of a FF if we don't get to control a party.

Munba

The primal summons, thinking about pvp, could open nice sceneries.. like one free company summons Ifrit and another one summons Odin in the same time to counter it. The two summons could fight eachother in an epic battle, with the weather that goes to madness all around. The summon who wins can use its power against the opponent company.

Ok i know, i'm dreaming now lol ..but it would be too nice.

Londa

Banned
http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=28045

ZAM Question #11: What are Free Companies, and how will these be structured? Are these the player-run companies we heard about in the past?

Yoshida: "These are player-controlled companies. You can think of it like the guild systems that a lot of other MMORPGs have, the player-run guilds. Think of it as each player, for example, five people can be a Free Company. I can be a member of the Order of the Twin Adder, he can be a member of the Maelstrom, he can be a member of the Immortal Flames, but we can all get together and make our own Free Company. Individuals can do the Grand Company content on their own, and then we can make this Free Company with a lot of people from different companies. And also, the Free Company can sign up to join the Grand Company, so you can experience Grand Company content through your Free Company, even though if I'm in Gridania but our Free Company signs up to work with the Maelstrom in Limsa Lominsa, then we can do those contents as well. That's one thing where players will be able to cross over.

"So when players make their own Free Companies, they can decide what they want to do. They can go, "OK, I only want to have people from the Order of the Twin Adder be in my Free Company, and their Free Company is going to be hardcore, or they can have a mixture of lots of different players. That will be up to the players."

I really love this idea! Its great for people who want to complete everything.

jiggle

so he sees the community in 3 tiers
from hardcores to casuals
and decided that only the hardcores will get a chance to summon(real summons not shitty pets and elementals?
wtf is this
this is tanaka-era kind of stupid

something so fundamental to the series' history and he thinks the majority should just see it on utube or something??

Gvaz

Banned
So I just got an email about patch 1.18, is now a good time to get into this? I see they added some things that were pretty default now?

I tried the beta but it ran like shit and it was okay combat wise but the UI was just a pain to navigate and everything felt really obtuse in the design, are most of these things fixed?

Is there a big gaf guild or something?

Jinko

GameWatch - This new FFXIV concept screen shot, is this real time rendering?
YoshiP - Of course

GameWatch - from teh picture the quality looks different
YoshiP - With current drawing engine we can’t display the shadows correctly. With the new engine light areas will be light, dark areas will be dark; we will make this part work and make sure it stands out. Also having ambient occlusion.

Finally real time shadows !!

jiggle said:
so he sees the community in 3 tiers
from hardcores to casuals
and decided that only the hardcores will get a chance to summon(real summons not shitty pets and elementals?
wtf is this
this is tanaka-era kind of stupid

something so fundamental to the series' history and he thinks the majority should just see it on utube or something??

Sounds a whole lot more interesting to me than reducing Ifrit and the like to 'shitty pets' for everyone. The Primals are huge and powerful in this game - I'd like to see them kept that way.

jiggle

Hanningfield said:
Sounds a whole lot more interesting to me than reducing Ifrit and the like to 'shitty pets' for everyone.

new to final fantasy?

Hanningfield said:
The Primals are huge and powerful in this game - I'd like to see them kept that way.

the actual summon wouldn't have to be as powerful as the original
i bet the ppl that thought of it also came up with the great idea of crafts needing a bijillion ingredients and steps to create
cuz it's more realistic/makes more sense that way

in the end, they WILL realize taking summons away from most ff players is stupid
i just hope they are not as stubborn as the old team

Jinko

Depends what they have to replace Ifrit, If they have a cool fire spirit and I don't mean a shitty FF11 fire ball that follows you then it could work out quite well.

Something like a servant of Ifrit, a burning imp would be cool, I like the idea of making Primals special summons only.

I think FFXIV just killed my graphics card, well that and my own stupidity :p

Afterburner didn't start up and my GPU was running at 99+ degrees, now I can't start FFXIV without it crashing boo!

Desi

^same to my card I think.

primal summons reminds me of the cursed weapons from Lineage II. When someone grabs one it affected the whole game world (ex. clouds, moon, earthquakes) and everyone knew where said person is....so they could kill him/her.

I did enjoy the way summons were done in FFXI though so I do feel that this change is unnecessary. Odin & Alexander were uncontrollable gods too while Shiva, Ifrit, Ramuh were sleeping gods that let adventures call a weakened apparition of them.

jiggle

Jinko said:
Something like a servant of Ifrit, a burning imp would be cool, I like the idea of making Primals nonpet/special summons only.

the method i have no problem with

it just bothers me
at least from the sound of the the interview
that only a very few hardcore groups will actually have access to it

i mean
to get ifrit
u'll need a group with like 4 lnc(or other dd)
2 conjs and a thm
and a tanking mrd
all 8 must have a lv36 gladiator
all 8 should have the best gears fully materia-ed

and every primal brings with it new challenges

they should have contents exclusive to hardcores
i just don't think summons should be one

jiggle said:
new to final fantasy?

Jesus. smh.

No. That's why I recall the last two FF games having summons which were very much marginalised, at least as far gameplay was concerned.

jiggle said:
the actual summon wouldn't have to be as powerful as the original

Weaker and smaller. Pet-like, then.

Anyway, the game as it is, I'm not concerned over the minutiae details around 'pets'. Yoshi-P seems to have the right idea for the big picture, which is encouraging.

Ravidrath

Desi said:
I did enjoy the way summons were done in FFXI though so I do feel that this change is unnecessary. Odin & Alexander were uncontrollable gods too while Shiva, Ifrit, Ramuh were sleeping gods that let adventures call a weakened apparition of them.

Yeah, this is how I see it working.

Something like the Dark Moogle might be a lesser Primal, and thus be summonable pets. But Ifrit, Garuda, Leviathan, etc. would be might be more like a huge, tide-turning things.

Jinko

jiggle said:
i mean
to get ifrit
u'll need a group with like 4 lnc(or other dd)
2 conjs and a thm
and a tanking mrd
all 8 must have a lv36 gladiator
all 8 should have the best gears fully materia-ed

and every primal brings with it new challenges

they should have contents exclusive to hardcores
i just don't think summons should be one

Thats not true at all, when jobs are brought in I doubt the majority will have access to defender any more.

The whole purpose of the content finder is that the server will auto select a suitable team make up, all you will need to do is add your info get added to the queue and wait your turn.

Mature

I prefer summons to be this huge, grandoise ability. Not some weak, substandard thing that everyone has if they want it. Marginalized was a fitting descriptor.

hgplayer1

So I'm at a point where I have to choose a GC. I'm leaning towards Limsa but would be willing to go somewhere else if anyone needs help.

Gladiator is at 30 and I havent EXPed in ages. I'll grind leves if I have to but are there better things to do at that level that our LS or the community in general are doing?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Rentahamster said:
I'll hop on in about 30-40 min.
I unfortunately went to bed by the time you hopped on, but I should be on again tonight.

Jinko

hgplayer1 said:
So I'm at a point where I have to choose a GC. I'm leaning towards Limsa but would be willing to go somewhere else if anyone needs help.

Gladiator is at 30 and I havent EXPed in ages. I'll grind leves if I have to but are there better things to do at that level that our LS or the community in general are doing?

Get in toto-rak and have some fun I would suggest, leves are still a great way of Xping but a proper XP party is probably faster if you get a good one.

GameWatch - Hows the details on CBT? (Closed Beta Testing)
YoshiP - It’s not finalized yet but for myself I am saying as fast as possible. I want to get as much beta time this time and talking about making it possible even before content transfer is completed.

This is interesting, does this suggest that people who get into the PS3 beta will get to see New FFXIV before PC users ?

BG interview

Whoa seems they are considering getting rid of failed synthesis. :O and making the system more streamlined.

hgplayer1

Jinko said:
Get in toto-rak and have some fun I would suggest, leves are still a great way of Xping but a proper XP party is probably faster if you get a good one.

I cant go in Toto-Rak solo at all can I? Might hit up the LS tonight to see if anyone wants to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom