• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Jinko said:
Weekend is a good place to start I'd imagine, but let me know what time during the week and I will see what I can do.
I actually have more time to play on week days than I do for weekends, but I'm sure it won't be a problem.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Hopping on in a few minutes. Just got back from my work out, so I have to change, and then pour myself a nice stiff whiskey.

Ravidrath

Is Eorzea going to be really depressing with all of it destroyed?

Doesn't look like there's any part of La Noscea that looks like it does now, which is to say "is fucking beautiful."

Allard

Ravidrath said:
Is Eorzea going to be really depressing with all of it destroyed?

Doesn't look like there's any part of La Noscea that looks like it does now, which is to say "is fucking beautiful."

Just think about this for sec. That is just Northern La Noscea. I wonder how they are going to transform the other areas. Skull Valley might actually be a valley after this over, Bloodshore might turn into the dunes! Also looking back on it they might have given some hints about what some of the other Thanalan regions are going to change into. In the first round of side quest NPCs (They even mentioned back then these quests would show the coming threat, we just didn't realize how extensive it might turn into) they had a NPC that described a whole organization dedicated to re-foresting a portion of Thanalan back to its roots (They say it used to be filled with lushness and not its arid form now in the past). In the miners quests they talk about an ancient city that used to be part of the region and that the main NPC is looking for memories and historical artifacts from this time. This is another place they can add something unique into the terrain by having the calamity unearth that ancient city. Plus we might have a proper desert region from all this too instead of the rocky barren plains land it is now, like shifting sands style desert.

The one area I want them to keep at least semi close to its current theme is maybe Nine Ivies. It was the uniquest area in the game and even if its not all there when 2.0 happens, I want to see those suspended mountains back in some place on the screen even if not quite as extensive as it currently is.

Desi

ok playing on my work pc is near impossible. might as well just get a new video card for my gaming one.

but I am at the blue badger gate if anyone wants to pearl me. lagging so bad that I just can't get myself to move anywhere. Name: Liutperga Desi

jiggle

what is a need/greed system?
first time i've heard of the term

tbh
i actually kinda like everyone getting their own chest with ifrit
i'm still a little miffed over being screwed out of batraal gears by my ls
which i'll never get now that no one does it anymore
they just need to make it so ppl actually get stuffs they need

Kandinsky

So SE locked me out of this and FFXI with their crysta bs payment system, the only choice I have is C&B which is not available in my country /sigh

Teknoman

Kandinsky said:
So SE locked me out of this and FFXI with their crysta bs payment system, the only choice I have is C&B which is not available in my country /sigh

Not even those Ultimate game cards? Maybe you can buy one of those codes via Amazon?

2. Payment using Click and Buy is something a majority of the users have come to not want. Since you seem to be listening very well to what the players want, why haven't we heard anything regarding SE's own private subscription plans and the abolishment of the Click and Buy contract?

Sonomaa (BG): Payment using Click and Buy is something a majority of the users have come to not want. Since you seem to be listening very well to what the players want, why haven't we heard anything regarding SE's own private subscription plans and the abolishment of the Click and Buy contract?

Square-Enix: We have received a lot of user response to how they do not want to use Click and Buy. So in response to that, we have started moving forward with different ways of purchasing Crysta and using that towards your system. So we are moving towards options other than Click and Buy. We're continuing to get a lot of different opinions and what are the best options. We will use this data to give the community more options to pay. It is an ongoing process.

BG: Our community seems to favor credit cards, PayPal or prepaid cards, and I have never heard of Click and Buy before FFXIV came out. A lot of people were wondering if this is legit, or if it was something that was made up?

[Some discussion ensues among the SE staff. Possible take-away question for later?]

jiggle said:

tbh
i actually kinda like everyone getting their own chest with ifrit
i'm still a little miffed over being screwed out of batraal gears by my ls
which i'll never get now that no one does it anymore
they just need to make it so ppl actually get stuffs they need

Just shout for a Dark hold party/try to make one? I'm sure there are still people that need it?

EDIT: Reading the rest of that BG interview...damn Yoshi knows whats up.

Gvaz

Banned
jiggle said:
It's very common in like....every other mmo released since wow in 2004

you loot an item, a menu pops up showing what it is to the group.

The item would be great for Player 1 and 2, but players 3, 4, 5 don't need it. They could however sell the item for cash, disenchant it for materials, etc

1 & 2 roll need on it (obviously because they need it) and everyone else rolls greed or passes.

Since someone needs it, the greed rolls aren't counted (priority based) and player 2 wins the random roll determined by the server (whatever it was, player 1 could have won instead)

If everyone rolls greed, it goes to the highest roller (usually depositing to your inventory automatically)

Kandinsky

Teknoman said:
Not even those Ultimate game cards? Maybe you can buy one of those codes via Amazon?
Nope, not even those, only choice I have is to buy the game and create another (fake) account, but that wont work with FFXI so I just need to wait till they give more options I guess (still have 10 days left on ffxi). I did try the game again (macho's account, you probably remember him :p) after like a year and its alot more playable now, loved the new battle system and effects.

Jinko said:
They nerf archer much more and people ain't guna be happy.

With the whole game in a state of flux and several huge patches upcoming, our new players would do well to be leveling several jobs to 30 rather than marathoning one job to 50. Nobody knows what's going to happen the next patch and who's going to get the nerfbat and who's going to be buffed next. Keep yourself open to switching up to a new favorite job at a moment's notice, because things are changing faster than anybody can keep up, especially now that powerleveling has been nerfed.

I'm still bitter about how archer got fucked. Bardcher? Really?

Things that are obviously still not in the game yet:
- AH (buying from menu will mitigate this to a huge degree)
- mail system
- party search/dungeon finder/FIND SOMEONE TO PLAY WITH FAST LOL
- non-retarded targeting (ugh)
- loot system

lol51

Working on something experimental for the site:

ihasmaps.jpg

http://www.ffxiv-db.com/maps.php

Be sure to zoom at Drybone and Horizon. Obviously the spawn data and secondary node locations will change with 2.0 but i'll pin more things on the map as i pass by them. Really need to get a choco before i start hardcore cartography.

This can be really helpful when they add zones.

Gvaz

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
Things that are obviously still not in the game yet:
- AH (buying from menu will mitigate this to a huge degree)
- mail system

- party search/dungeon finder/FIND SOMEONE TO PLAY WITH FAST LOL
- non-retarded targeting (ugh)
- loot system
Wait...can you explain this to me? How are these things set up now?

Teknoman

Kandinsky said:
Nope, not even those, only choice I have is to buy the game and create another (fake) account, but that wont work with FFXI so I just need to wait till they give more options I guess (still have 10 days left on ffxi). I did try the game again (macho's account, you probably remember him :p) after like a year and its alot more playable now, loved the new battle system and effects.

Yeah I remember him, didnt know he played XIV though. Peaceful Rain still together?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
lol51 said:

http://www.ffxiv-db.com/ihasmaps.jpg[IMG]
[url]http://www.ffxiv-db.com/maps.php[/url]

Be sure to zoom at Drybone and Horizon. Obviously the spawn data and secondary node locations will change with 2.0 but i'll pin more things on the map as i pass by them. Really need to get a choco before i start hardcore cartography.

This can be really helpful when they add zones.[/QUOTE]
Wow, nice work! Seems like it would be a pain to have to manually add in every single enemy spawn location.

[QUOTE=Gvaz]Wait...can you explain this to me? How are these things set up now?[/QUOTE]
There's a market ward system instead of an AH.
There is no mailbox system whatsoever
Loot is placed in a random party member's loot list and can be given to other party members at the receiver's own discretion.

Gvaz

Banned
Rentahamster said:
Wow, nice work! Seems like it would be a pain to have to manually add in every single enemy spawn location.

There's a market ward system instead of an AH.
There is no mailbox system whatsoever
Loot is placed in a random party member's loot list and can be given to other party members at the receiver's own discretion.
HAHA oh yeah this isn't exploitable at all. Who's bright idea was this? Yeah okay I'm going to unconditionally trust the person who gets the loot to give it to me.

So for for the AH, is it functionally the same? Does it at least have a keyword search?

Jomjom

Banned
Gvaz said:
HAHA oh yeah this isn't exploitable at all. Who's bright idea was this? Yeah okay I'm going to unconditionally trust the person who gets the loot to give it to me.

So for for the AH, is it functionally the same? Does it at least have a keyword search?

This is going to sound ass-backwards, but the way the "AH" (I have to put quotes because this really can't be called an AH at all) currently works is this:

1) Go to Market Ward where there is a search function
2) Figure out which category your item belongs to (harder than it sounds sometimes) and find your item
3) System will tell you if anybody's retainer is currently selling the item (retainers are basically like those millions of people sitting outside Jeuno in FFXI bazaaring stuff because they want to avoid AH fees before bazaar taxes)
4) Choose the item and the system will then put a red star over the retainer's head (red because gold stars are so kindergarten!)
5) Walk into the correct market ward and look for the NPC with a red star over his/her head (better hope your computer doesn't blue screen while the retainers load!)
6) Check the retainer and buy item
7) ...
8) No profit

Sorry I'm frustrated with the "AH" system if you can't tell.

Gvaz

Banned
jling84 said:
This is going to sound ass-backwards, but the way the "AH" (I have to put quotes because this really can't be called an AH at all) currently works is this:

1) Go to Market Ward where there is a search function
2) Figure out which category your item belongs to (harder than it sounds sometimes) and find your item
3) System will tell you if anybody's retainer is currently selling the item (retainers are basically like those millions of people sitting outside Jeuno in FFXI bazaaring stuff because they want to avoid AH fees)
4) Choose the item and the system will then put a red star over the retainer's head
5) Walk into the correct market ward and look for the NPC with a red star over his/her head
6) Check the retainer and buy item
7) ...
8) No profit

I really liked the combat in this game at least in the beta but this is seriously not doing me any favors in wanting to pick up the game for real.

Jomjom

Banned
Gvaz said:
I really liked the combat in this game at least in the beta but this is seriously not doing me any favors in wanting to pick up the game for real.

Yeah combat is alright, but still not as strategic as it is in FFXI. Definitely faster paced though. I feel sorry for YoshiP though. WTF was Tanaka thinking? Didn't that guy work on FFXI too?!?! Why not just port the FFXI AH coding over with new graphical assets.

Buttons

Luck was on my side last night. My first win and I got the lance. *happy Lalafell*

ffxivgame2011-10-1901-6kj3.jpg

ffxivgame2011-10-1901-akji.jpg

And dang that battle is challenging, takes quite a while for everyone to get the hang of it and the room for error is almost non-existant. xD

Munba

lol51 said:

ihasmaps.jpg

Amazing job dude. Have you drawn the icons by yourself?

Jinko

lol51 said:

ihasmaps.jpg

That looks great :)

lol51 said:

ihasmaps.jpg

Whoa that's very nice, man!

...my suggestion? add tooltips when you mousover icons, with items the mob drops (if possible).

Gvaz said:
Wait...can you explain this to me? How are these things set up now?

jling84 said:
Sorry I'm frustrated with the "AH" system if you can't tell.

In the Bluegartr interview, Yoshida stated that by version 1.20 and before they start charging for subscriptions, he plans to have the market system function as closely to the FFXI auction house as possible which includes being able to search for an item and buy the item directly from the results and an item history covering the last 20 auction records.

FFXIV version 2.0 or later should see the implementation of a fully functioning auction house.

Londa

Banned
congrats Buttons! love your pictures too.

lol51 you are really doing well with your site. I gotta give you props for this. Keep up the good work.

Munba

From GamerEscape interview,

One of the reasons we had some trouble with the original launch of FFXIV was because we went through Crystal Tools and it was an engine that wasn’t really optimized for an MMO and so we’re currently working with technologists that are working on Luminous to make us a custom, optimal engine that will work for FFXIV.

So basically, it seems the new ff14 will use a customized-for-mmorpg version of Luminous. And that is nice to hear (the first game that will use it completely? except the only lightning feature for ffversus).

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Mature said:
"Here, make an MMO with this non MMO friendly engine."

Tanaka - With my pleasure.
Wada - Thanks man.
Tanaka - Np Boss, this game will conquer the world.

With all the work SE does with graphics engines, they should be licensing this stuff.
Sometimes I wonder how much money Epic has made from UE3...

Allard

Think the only thing I'm a bit disappointed from that inteview is that Ishgard is being kept locked up till 2.0 happens. Well at least we won't be wondering anymore when its coming.

Its also nice to see confirmation of beastmaster and summoner class/job on the way. I also would 'really' like to see if they can add the new classes before 2.0 like they are thinking about. Would add so much hype to the game leading into 2.0 and give some new content for people that have stuck around to do.

thetrin

Any low level gaffers up for some grouping tonight? I'm a 7/8 Marauder, and while soloing is easy, I do like playing with others.

Nakazato

thetrin said:
Any low level gaffers up for some grouping tonight? I'm a 7/8 Marauder, and while soloing is easy, I do like playing with others.
I maybe down for tonight depending on what time i take my girl home

thetrin

Nakazato said:
I maybe down for tonight depending on what time i take my girl home
Feel free to send a /tell to Trin Peligrade when you have a chance.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
As long as you guys are within +-5 levels of one another, you should be getting full EXP. The more divergent your levels are after that, the less EXP you get.

@Buttons - good job! We in Lindblum should probably get around to tackling that, we've been preeoccupied with genociding beastmen and helping the newbies rank up rather than killing Ifrit.

Onemic

thetrin said:
Totally down now that I'm releveling as a lancerm at lvl 8 right now, ill probably be on around 8-9

Jomjom

Banned
ROBOKITTYZILLA said:
In the Bluegartr interview, Yoshida stated that by version 1.20 and before they start charging for subscriptions, he plans to have the market system function as closely to the FFXI auction house as possible which includes being able to search for an item and buy the item directly from the results and an item history covering the last 20 auction records.

FFXIV version 2.0 or later should see the implementation of a fully functioning auction house.
If this plus some other things (story mission completion) are implemented by 1.20 then I will feel much better about being charged a fee.

Onemic

One of the things that still confuses me about the game are the aromor crafting classesm since I'm leveling a lancer now, what armor type would be ideal? Currently I'm an armorer as I was a gladiator previously, but I don't know if I should switch to woodworking or not. Does a lancer benefit more from wearing leather, or from wearing plate? The official site does nothing to really explain armor types and their effectiveness on classes if there is any

Allard

onemic said:
One of the things that still confuses me about the game are the aromor crafting classesm since I'm leveling a lancer now, what armor type would be ideal? Currently I'm an armorer as I was a gladiator previously, but I don't know if I should switch to woodworking or not. Does a lancer benefit more from wearing leather, or from wearing plate? The official site does nothing to really explain armor types and their effectiveness on classes if there is any

Part of your confusion comes from the itemization having conflicting goals, we still got dated stuff in game and those were designed around the old system. Basically LNC prefers mid range chain/bone gear. I would say a majority of this gear is made through Armorer but like most things in the crafting system (Even now) you need stuff from other disciplines if you want to fully craft it yourself. Armorer, Leather, and Goldsmithing are stuff that dabble in LNC armor, Carpentry is mostly making the lance and the javelins. Basically you need to decide what you want to accomplish both now and at end game, do you want to craft your own weapon? craft your own armor? affix materia to said armor and weapons? etc. Look for the 'favored' part of the item screen as well as the level, that is a good start, and then try to find out what is best for what you want to accomplish at your level, have materia fill in the gaps (assuming you don't use dated equipment).

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
onemic said:
You're not going to be able to rank up any crafting classes at the same rate that you can rank up a battle class.

As long as you wear gear that is optimal for your class and is in the optimal rank rage, then you should be fine.

Mature

So I'm a looking for a bit of advice: My friend and I started playing at launch, got our classes to around level 20 (a few crafts to about 15 or so) and then sort of up and quit for reasons I doubt I need to delve into. We're really excited about the new staff and, now, all of the planned updates for version 2.0. That being said, we'll probably start up again sometime before the end of the year.

However, our server seems to be lower population... Or at least judging by the thread count in the forums, there's not an abundance of english speaking people. So at this point along, would it be worth switching over to gaf's server and starting over? I feel like the community aspect alone might be worth it, but is Lindblum a good server in general?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom