• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jinko said:
Finally real time shadows !!

Actually, if you notice newer added large objects (outposts in the field, grand company stands in the cities, etc) already have real time shadowing. Just odd that all structure before that didn't.

Eccocid

Gvaz said:
Soo....no comments?

Lol i guess ppl didn't notice that one cuz same thing is being asked in every 10 posts.

Game is much more smoother with a faster UI, new combat system, leveling, quests etc.
Why don't you give it a try if u have the game since it is still free to play.
Gaf is at Lindblum server, name of the Linkshell(guild) is Red Dot.
Start in the Uldah which is the most crowded city so far.

daoster

I got the GAF LS yesterday! Thanks.

What's the best way to start out this game? I've leveled up to level 5 mainly fighting mobs outside, did 2 guildleves (though I failed one), and was just walking around the town aimlessly...anybody got any advice/tips?

Plus, reading around, it seems like the PUG is less of a DD MNK like FFXI and more of a blink tank ala NIN? Anybody know if the upcoming Jobs system will have fist class that's mainly beating up fools like no tomorrow? :p

Eccocid

daoster said:
I got the GAF LS yesterday! Thanks.

What's the best way to start out this game? I've leveled up to level 5 mainly fighting mobs outside, did 2 guildleves (though I failed one), and was just walking around the town aimlessly...anybody got any advice/tips?

Plus, reading around, it seems like the PUG is less of a DD MNK like FFXI and more of a blink tank ala NIN? Anybody know if the upcoming Jobs system will have fist class that's mainly beating up fools like no tomorrow? :p

Keep doing leves for leveling up, also check NPC linkshell for storyline quests since their gil reward are great and you can save a lot of money like that.

I leveled up Pug to 50. It is not a tank job like NIN tho. People don't expect you to tank but with some eva and dec gear you can do it. Pug has an healing ability(second wind) and nice counters. It is all about activating feather foot and using those weapon skills right after mob misses. As you level up you will get better skills but in this game leveling up one class is never enough. You can mix match skills from other classes too.

Get THM learn Sacrifice which will come handy for healing yourself (less heal but faster than second wind). you should learn Bloodbath form Marauder which is great too, you use with with a weapon skill and it heals you at the same time.
If you focus on evasion and dex you can pretty much punch mobs to death with counters non stop.

Riposte

Eccocid said:
Lol i guess ppl didn't notice that one cuz same thing is being asked in every 10 posts.

Game is much more smoother with a faster UI, new combat system, leveling, quests etc.
Why don't you give it a try if u have the game since it is still free to play.
Gaf is at Lindblum server, name of the Linkshell(guild) is Red Dot.
Start in the Uldah which is the most crowded city so far.

You don't need to start in Ul'dah to situate yourself in Ul'dah.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
onemic said:
so whats the main role for gladiators and lancers?
Gladiator is high defense, low offense, tank.

Lancer is high single target offense, low defense, DD.

I would suggest ranking either lancer or marauder, as they are the strongest classes right now.

Jinko

BG: We did an informal poll on our forums about the decision to charge for the game, and 70% of our users that voted in the poll were very against being charged a fee. However, when I brought up just as a side-question, what would they feel about paying, say, half that cost, while in this early developments stage, most were not against paying half for what they perceived as a half-finished game. But they also understand that what happens in FFXIV-I is not necessarily the same as FFXIV-II.

SE: It's interesting to hear that the player base was against it, but when offered paying half that more were for it.

BG: Yeah, to them it's still half of what they wanted, when the game was still released. So only paying half is like the beta phase/beta 2 phase. They were, "I can stand $6-$7 instead of $14."

SE: We went over many options when deciding to start the subscription system again. Maybe charging half, maybe charging less, maybe extending the free period. There's many options. The reason we decided to start the subscription system and charge the price we're charging is that, one of the things is players playing now, others players go "Why are you playing this game? It's not done." Maybe charging less for it, you get the sense, "Oh, it's still not done and you're still not getting a full product." This is our roadmap. This is what we're going to do. We're getting the players opinions and reflecting them in the game. We're also working to give players beyond even what they expect with update content, such as the realtime events that you will not be able to play anywhere else. We have to show the players that we'll be accepting money from you now, so now we have to work even harder in order to give you more than what you get for your money. But you went ahead and you had this poll and we know that you're a good group of hardcore players that have been there a long time. So we are taking this poll to heart and discuss this again and see if this is an option for us. We will then get back to the players and decide.

Interesting

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Jinko said:

Interesting
But you went ahead and you had this poll and we know that you're a good group of hardcore players that have been there a long time. So we are taking this poll to heart and discuss this again and see if this is an option for us. We will then get back to the players and decide.

I don't see how the perception that the game "isn't done" will be alleviated by charging full price. That perception isn't going to fade until the game actually "is done".

I'd wager they can get a lot more revenue in the interim period by charging $5 than by charging $12. 12 bucks is just too high a threshold for most people to be playing a beta.

Riposte

Looks like every piece of dialogue and quest(aside from certain battles) is being removed from the game... shame, I wish there was some way to keep the best lines archived.

Now I just want to know the fate of my path companion.

EDIT: Also I feel like I'll be missing out on a bunch of quests since they are accessible to only one company. I probably won't have time to make two more characters to see them. This game loves to disappoint me.

Allard

Riposte said:
Looks like every piece of dialogue and quest(aside from certain battles) is being removed from the game... shame, I wish there was some way to keep the best lines archived.

EDIT: Also I feel like I'll be missing out on a bunch of quests since they are accessible to only one company. I probably won't have time to make two more characters to see them. This game loves to disappoint me.

Yoshida mentioned in one of the interviews that he wants to keep main scenario quests and the like still solo only but would but emphasis on companions and NPCs to make the fights more epic. He wants Party content to be about doing something epic but is not required to advance your personal growth. Basically stuff for better equipment and epic struggles. I think our companions will be back and maybe in larger numbers!

One other thing that stuck out for me on some of the recent interviews is the changes he planning for the armory system, specifically for newer players. They are thinking about locking the armory till you reach lvl 10 on the class you start as and then open you up to doing leves then. Here is the thing you won't beable to just equip any weapon/tool after the armory is unlocked, but you have to physically go to the guilds around the world and unlock that class so you can use the tool to level up. They are doing this to make exploring more rewarding for new players as well as give them a better idea of what the class is about before sending them on their way to leveling, but I personally think they are doing this as a way to finally introduce advanced classes into the game. By making it so you have to earn the right to use a class in the armory system, they can make advanced classes with specific parameters before you can use them. All old players will probably have the current classes unlocked by default but new ones might need a quest to unlock.

Desi

I may sign on later tonight to finally pick up a pearl. My gaming PC is down so I expect to lag bad on my work computer.

Still being a dick running around Gridania.

Jinko

Riposte said:

MMO's aren't really designed for the completionist.

Right now Gladiator serves no apparent purpose. Like in many other MMOGs, the pure tanking class in FFXIV gets fucked. Business as usual. If you want to be a tank, level up Marauder.

Onemic

Unknown Soldier said:
Right now Gladiator serves no apparent purpose. Like in many other MMOGs, the pure tanking class in FFXIV gets fucked. Business as usual. If you want to be a tank, level up Marauder.

Why do I find this out after I lvl my gladiator to 14? :(((, Time to buy myself a lance...

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Quick question: Are marauders meant to be a dps class or a tank?

Londa

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:

Then Ninja when that class gets released

lol51

some news from www.ffxiv-db.com

- Added a Menu Bar to find stuff quicker
- Added pagination for results with more than 30 items
- Added ability to look through recipes
- Added an email address to contact me if there are problems

Jinko

thetrin said:

Good question someone needs to tell SE whilst they are at it.

Personally I would say DPS class, they will get the job Warrior by the looks of it.

Gladiator will come into its own when Paladin comes out I imagine, anyone interested in tanking would be wise to level one to 50 for when 1.21 comes out.

Nakazato

Jinko said:

Personally I would say DPS class, they will get the job Warrior by the looks of it.

Gladiator will come into its own when Paladin comes out I imagine, anyone interested in tanking would be wise to level one to 50 for when 1.21 comes out.
we need to start doing low lvl statics 2-3 hours nightly so we can get jobs we want to play up to 30-50 before new jobs come out

daoster

Jinko said:

Any list of the new jobs that will be upcoming?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
thetrin said:
They're both.

MRD can have a wear gear and set skills to maximize its damage. MRD can also wear gear and set skills to maximize defense.

The best defensive gear in the game is only wearable by MRD and GLA.

GLA has the best defensive options available to it, but doesn't do as much damage as a MRD.

A player with rank 50 in GLA only will probably be a better tank than a player with rank 50 MRD only.

A rank 50 MRD with access to rank 50 GLA skills is arguably a better tank than a player with only rank 50 GLA.

MRD does the most damage out of all the classes against multiple targets.

Against single targets, LNC does the most damage, with PGL, ARC, and MRD tied for second.

lol51 said:
some news from www.ffxiv-db.com

- Added a Menu Bar to find stuff quicker
- Added pagination for results with more than 30 items
- Added ability to look through recipes
- Added an email address to contact me if there are problems
Wow that's awesome!

Allard

Nakazato said:
monk
bard
warrior
dragoon
white
black

Missed Paladin :p

For extra measure these are the class ties

Gladiator = Paladin
Marauder = Warrior
Pugilist = Monk
Lancer = Dragoon
Archer = Bard

And the mage jobs are unknown which gets which but given the recent trend with some of the abilities for Conjuror I'd say its

Conjurer = White Mage
Tham = Black Mage

Also one of the interviews I remember reading this morning said that jobs might have multiple class requirements even if the job level is tied to only one class. Yoshida was talking about maybe having Paladin Job requirement be GLD and MRD = lvl 30 despite it being tied directly to the GLD class. I suppose its done that way to maximize the ability pool potential of a job designed around tanking.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm unclear on what the point of these jobs is. Is it meant to make them more group friendly? If so, why not add abilities to the existing classes instead of creating a job system?

I don't really know anything about this, so I would love someone to school me.

Nakazato said:
we need to start doing low lvl statics 2-3 hours nightly so we can get jobs we want to play up to 30-50 before new jobs come out
I'm totally down. I'm just starting, so I would love this. If anyone wants to do this tonight, I'd love to.

I loved having dedicated groups for FFXI.

Btw, what do I have to do to make myself a different class? Do I just need to buy the applicable weapon for that class?

Jinko

Nakazato said:

Most definitely, sadly I'm in the UK and in bed by the time most of you come online :(

I'm unclear on what the point of these jobs is. Is it meant to make them more group friendly? If so, why not add abilities to the existing classes instead of creating a job system?

People complained a while back that the classes had no real uniqueness because they can all use skills from one another.

So SE are releasing jobs to Increase the effectiveness of a given role whilst at the same time limiting you to that role.

So in the case of Warrior they will probably lose all their def skills in favour of attack boosting ones, whilst sacrificing HP and def and increasing attack.

Con will lose black magic in favour of possibly new healing magic, maybe buffs that last longer, sacificing int and magic attack for mnd and healing power.

It's hard to say how it will work but it has a lot of potential.

Mature

thetrin said:

Ravidrath schooled me a few pages back, maybe it'll help you understand.

Allard

thetrin said:

Jobs are basically there to make the game feel more like Final Fantasy. They are based on a more traditional archetype, but they didn't want to rework the game so much that it = a wipe of a characters progress. So they designed jobs as party oriented specs that closed off abilities, but added new ones designed around the party concept they will work under.

Also I found the interview I mentioned and in it they give a better look at what they do.

http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q4-2011/101811b.html

Another major change in the pipeline is the addition of a job system to compliment the current class system. Yoshida states that jobs will not be replacing the classes, but will be built upon them when they are introduced in version 1.21, coming in early 2012. The example given was for unlocking the Paladin job quest. Players would first need to level the Gladiator and Marauder classes to level thirty and then complete a job quest. Once completed, Paladin would become available on top of the class system, almost like a subjob. Leveling up the Paladin would also increase the strength of the original job, Gladiator, and open a new job-specific quest every five levels or so. These jobs will grant unique skills and bonuses that can mix and match with the original armory class system, so a Paladin would gain abilities to help in playing a tank role.

The job system is not as flexible as the on-the-fly armory system, but will add another layer of depth for helping to define a clearer role for higher end party content. Unlike advanced jobs of Final Fantasy XI, these jobs are going to be easier to unlock as it will be made easier to level up classes to access them. There will be seven jobs released in version 1.21: Paladin, Warrior, Monk, Bard, White Mage, Black Mage, and Dragoon. These are just the start, as the dev team is planning to add new classes and jobs, though they will need to see how best to balance these. Will a Samurai be a class or job? Will it unlock a Ninja job or the other way around? Where could a Thief, Summoner, or Red Mage fit? All of these are questions the team still needs to answer.

Basically jobs add new abilities and traits. One idea early was that Paladin might have a 20% up HP as an innate bonus that only it could equip, thus making it better for tanking. Its a spec basically, its supposed to compliment a given job in a party role while the old class system is in place for people who want to solo or define themselves more freely. GLD level = PLD level and PLD level = GLD level. You 'grow' the Paladin (or other jobs) through quests which may unlock a new ability or trait or new piece of gear that better defines the job and makes it stand out compared to other classes in game.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Nakazato said:
renta is mrd the best class for building tp quickly ?
Lancer has the best TP-builing skills, but they're all cross-classable so once you learn them on lancer you can use them on any other classes too.

Against multiple targets, MRD is the fastest TP builder, with LNC second.

Against single targets, LNC is the fastest TP builder, with PGL second.

daoster

thetrin said:

I'm totally down. I'm just starting, so I would love this. If anyone wants to do this tonight, I'd love to.

I loved having dedicated groups for FFXI.

Btw, what do I have to do to make myself a different class? Do I just need to buy the applicable weapon for that class?
I would love to jump in to this as well...unfortunately, tonight, my time is dedicated to google and Android :(

Oh man, reading about jobs makes me feel kinda excited

Mature

I imagine there will also be job-specific gear that increases the stats needed for each role substantially. For example, a white mage robe that would add great piety (that's for healing aint it?) making them an even more suitable position for healing over a conjurer.

thetrin

Allard said:
Jobs are basically there to make the game feel more like Final Fantasy. They are based on a more traditional archetype, but they didn't want to rework the game so much that it = a wipe of a characters progress. So they designed jobs as party oriented specs that closed off abilities, but added new ones designed around the party concept they will work under.

Also I found the interview I mentioned and in it they give a better look at what they do.

http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q4-2011/101811b.html

Basically jobs add new abilities and traits. One idea early was that Paladin might have a 20% up HP as an innate bonus that only it could equip, thus making it better for tanking. Its a spec basically, its supposed to compliment a given job in a party role while the old class system is in place for people who want to solo or define themselves more freely. GLD level = PLD level and PLD level = GLD level. You 'grow' the Paladin (or other jobs) through quests which may unlock a new ability or trait or new piece of gear that better defines the job and makes it stand out compared to other classes in game.

That is really interesting. I really like that.

I can see job separation being that much more important if there are multiple class requirements.

I guess I'll stick to Marauder for now. I'm really enjoying it. What's a good companion class with Marauder (Ability wise)?

Nakazato

we should get a date we plan on starting the static even if its just a few (3-4) days a week.

we should see how many ppl we could get.

so far we could have 4 if we can work around jinko's time zone Difference :)

thetrin

I'll be on tonight, probably starting around 6:30-7:00 pm MNT.

Do people use Mumble/Ventrilo in groups, or does everyone still communicate via text?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
thetrin said:
What's a good companion class with Marauder (Ability wise)?
Get LNC up to at least be able to learn invigorate. PGL up to at least be able to learn second wind.
thetrin said:
Do people use Mumble/Ventrilo in groups, or does everyone still communicate via text?

Text.

Allard

Rentahamster said:

Well that is a good guide right now but there is one thing I want to warn people playing now. A lot of the 'balance' is going to change next patch. They did the stat overhaul in 1.19 but they are doing the ability overhaul in 1.20. This one is going to change what classes get what abilities and what each ability does will be changed/refined and the actual 'role' for the classes will begin to be defined based on Jobs coming in 1.21.

Basically archer might become less of a damage dealer and get more Crowd Control abilities and maybe some minor group buff abilities to make the transition to bard less jarring. Basically some abilities and skills may very well not be there come 1.20 so watch out on your expectations on what a class 'will' be for the future. :)

Gvaz

Banned
In the beta I tried one of those...thaumergists or w/e and i thought it was pretty neat. Is that still a viable ranged magic class?

Jinko

Nakazato said:
we should get a date we plan on starting the static even if its just a few (3-4) days a week.

we should see how many ppl we could get.

so far we could have 4 if we can work around jinko's time zone Difference :)

Weekend is a good place to start I'd imagine, but let me know what time during the week and I will see what I can do.

Basically archer might become less of a damage dealer and get more Crowd Control abilities and maybe some minor group buff abilities to make the transition to bard less jarring. Basically some abilities and skills may very well not be there come 1.20 so watch out on your expectations on what a class 'will' be for the future. :)

They nerf archer much more and people ain't guna be happy.

In the beta I tried one of those...thaumergists or w/e and i thought it was pretty neat. Is that still a viable ranged magic class?

Yup they are pretty decent to play, much better than in Beta and look to be the main magic damage dealer when jobs come in.

Teknoman

Jinko said:
Weekend is a good place to start I'd imagine, but let me know what time during the week and I will see what I can do.

They nerf archer much more and people ain't guna be happy.

Yup they are pretty decent to play, much better than in Beta and look to be the main magic damage dealer when jobs come in.

So Thaumaturge = Black mage and Conjurer = White mage confirmed?

Allard

Jinko said:
Looks like you have to go through Nanawa to get to blue fog :O

Not like the current way is much safer lol. Tried to get Blue Fog on another character recently and he got decimated by the those buzzards. One hit to take me off choco, another to kill me.

One interesting thing about that Northern Thanalan Map is that it looks like a potential warzone. Empire and Ul'Dah camps on opposite sides of each other. You can actually see the train in some of the concept art for it too.

The Las Noscea change is incredible looking though. Lush jungle, mountainous woods, large lake with ruins in the middle, all this plus some of the old plains and the Sahagin seem to have erected a large barrier on top of all this. This little zone has more character then all the current zones combined and then some lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom