• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

_woLf

Is this game fun? I really want to try it since it's free to play, but I'm afraid I won't like it and it's going pay to play soon...

I didn't like the beta, but I've heard a lot has changed since then. I've been craving an mmo with good character customization and beautiful environments, and this seems to have them. I wish they did trials. :(

Teknoman

Mature said:
So I'm a looking for a bit of advice: My friend and I started playing at launch, got our classes to around level 20 (a few crafts to about 15 or so) and then sort of up and quit for reasons I doubt I need to delve into. We're really excited about the new staff and, now, all of the planned updates for version 2.0. That being said, we'll probably start up again sometime before the end of the year.

However, our server seems to be lower population... Or at least judging by the thread count in the forums, there's not an abundance of english speaking people. So at this point along, would it be worth switching over to gaf's server and starting over? I feel like the community aspect alone might be worth it, but is Lindblum a good server in general?

It really is. Besides most of us being there, most of the LS there are pretty cool, and there seems to be a decent amount of people.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
_woLf said:
Is this game fun? I really want to try it since it's free to play, but I'm afraid I won't like it and it's going pay to play soon...

I didn't like the beta, but I've heard a lot has changed since then. I've been craving an mmo with good character customization and beautiful environments, and this seems to have them. I wish they did trials. :(
Well, the next two months at least will be free.

_woLf

Rentahamster said:
Well, the next two months at least will be free.

True. I'm just not even sure if the game will run on my computer. The beta didn't very well, but I've improved a little since then.

intel core 2 duo E8400 @ 3.5Ghz, two GTX 260s in SLI? will that be okay?

hgplayer1

_woLf said:
True. I'm just not even sure if the game will run on my computer. The beta didn't very well, but I've improved a little since then.

intel core 2 duo E8400 @ 3.5Ghz, two GTX 260s in SLI? will that be okay?

I have the same processor @ 3Ghz and it runs fine with an HD5700. I play in windowed mode and not at a super high res but Im sure I could run it full screen no problem.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Btw... summoner is confirmed.

Gamer Escape: It was mentioned that players will be able to call primal when they’ve defeated them. Does that mean we’ll see Summoner and Beastmaster types of classes and jobs?

Yoshida: We call tell you that we’ve decided to put a Summoner class in the game. I want to be a Summoner.

And beastmaster too.

Gamer Escape: There was a tame ability mentioned as well, so does that mean Beastmaster as well?

Yoshida: Yes. The foundation or system for using pets in battle is currently being made.

Source

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Like this?

vmOIMl.jpg

Jinko

Mature

APZonerunner said:
Yo guys. I just thought I'd quickly sling you lot this. Kagari completed her interview with Yoshida about 14. I've edited up, and here it is. She asks some great questions and he really goes in depth to answer them.
http://www.rpgsite.net/interviews/3...ew-with-producer⁄director-naoki-yoshida

I'm seeing him myself next week, so if there's any burning questions let me know?
Good interview. There's been a lot of them recently, but this one had diverse enough questions to set it apart.

Allard

Unknown Soldier said:
Yoshi-P said maybe FFXIV on Vita? Is he serious?

You didn't read it very carefully did you? When prompted by the question he said he was not just considering Vita but all mobile platforms with the 'intention' of making it possible to do things in FFXIV on the go. He specifically mentioned non-invasive tasks that didn't require the use of the full game but would aid a character when he/she got home to actually play the game. Things like AH, maybe chocobo raising, inventory management etc. but the full game doesn't seem like it was in the cards to me. WoW already does this so its nice to see him thinking that far ahead.

Allard said:
You didn't read it very carefully did you? When prompted by the question he said he was not just considering Vita but all mobile platforms with the 'intention' of making it possible to do things in FFXIV on the go. He specifically mentioned non-invasive tasks that didn't require the use of the full game but would aid a character when he/she got home to actually play the game. Things like AH, maybe chocobo raising, inventory management etc. but the full game doesn't seem like it was in the cards to me. WoW already does this so its nice to see him thinking that far ahead.

What I really want is Square-Enix Authenticator, so I can have an app on my phone instead of a keychain dongle which I might lose, break, or kill the battery on. Battle.net has had an Authenticator app for ages, hell even Rift has one!

Allard

Unknown Soldier said:
What I really want is Square-Enix Authenticator, so I can have an app on my phone instead of a keychain dongle which I might lose, break, or kill the battery on. Battle.net has had an Authenticator app for ages, hell even Rift has one!

Hopefully that is something they have in the works, I'm sure Yoshida knows people want this, goodness knows I hate having to lug my authenticator around just to play my game or have it in a spot where I know I can find it.

Jinko

Gamer Escape: When I’ve converted some strength rings I’ve been getting Mind Materia! Is the Materia you get from an item random? Is there a chance of getting better Materia if you repair the item before converting it?

Yoshida: First of all, it is not random. There is a table we have with each item in it and that item will have a possibility of turning into one of these. That table is currently a secret, but we’re going to be releasing it very soon so players will know what items will turn into what Materia.

Mature

APZonerunner said:
I'm seeing him myself next week, so if there's any burning questions let me know?
I'm interested to know what the process is for selecting and creating jobs. How do they determine which new jobs will come first? Which ones are we likely to see after version 2.0 is out?

Allard

Mature said:
I'm interested to know what the process is for selecting and creating jobs. How do they determine which new jobs will come first? Which ones are we likely to see after version 2.0 is out?

He mentioned this in another interview. (Although it was a question about what class we could be seeing first).

First he wants to get done with the jobs in the current swath because he needs to both balance it, but he needs to add quests, gear models and cutscenes to accomodate jobs as the new norm will be class + job combos. When he approaches new classes and jobs, he looks at what is needed first in terms of game balancing, he then considers what is missing, and then considers what the player base wants to see next. In regards to those answers the first new class we are going to see is going to be a mage class, the next we will see is a pet class because he finds something like that be unacceptably missing for a game in the MMORPG genre. After that it will just be gut feeling or what he thinks other people are clamoring for.

He gave an example of a possible combo (Nothing set in stone, in fact it seemed like he was thinking in jest rather then what is actually being thought of as a decision to work with). He is thinking about making a class that defines the old FF mold, and the job becomes something else from the FF mold. He mentioned a taming class and the job would become summoner etc. So a BST/SMN pet combo, the class that tamed mobs in the field, a job that allowed you to bring pet summons with you to a party, the class would be the solo oriented and less specialized mold and the job would be the one to bring to a party. This is all speculation on his part by the way, nothing was set in stone yet. But the thought process is balance, fill missing gaps, what fans want to see most. That is his order.

He confirmed a possible Beastmaster, Summoner and a new mage class/job are what he would like see added first, specifically the mage class.

Mature

Allard said:
He mentioned this in another interview. (Although it was a question about what class we could be seeing first).

First he wants to get done with the jobs in the current swath because he needs to both balance it, but he needs to add quests, gear models and cutscenes to accomodate jobs as the new norm will be class + job combos. When he approaches new classes and jobs, he looks at what is needed first in terms of game balancing, he then considers what is missing, and then considers what the player base wants to see next. In regards to those answers the first new class we are going to see is going to be a mage class, the next we will see is a pet class because he finds something like that be unacceptably missing for a game in the MMORPG genre. After that it will just be gut feeling or what he thinks other people are clamoring for.

He gave an example of a possible combo (Nothing set in stone, in fact it seemed like he was thinking in jest rather then what is actually being thought of as a decision to work with). He is thinking about making a class that defines the old FF mold, and the job becomes something else from the FF mold. He mentioned a taming class and the job would become summoner etc. So a BST/SMN pet combo, the class that tamed mobs in the field, a job that allowed you to bring pet summons with you to a party, the class would be the solo oriented and less specialized mold and the job would be the one to bring to a party. This is all speculation on his part by the way, nothing was set in stone yet. But the thought process is balance, fill missing gaps, what fans want to see most. That is his order.

He confirmed a possible Beastmaster, Summoner and a new mage class/job are what he would like see added first, specifically the mage class.
Ah, I remember him mentioning the beastmaster and summoner. It seems like I've read 6 different interviews in the past couple days, im surprised i didn't read all that lol

Ravidrath

Hmm, wonder what the next mage will be...?

They seem to be doing classic FF stuff, so maybe Fencer -> RDM?

Arcanist sounded really interesting before, but not sure what job that could turn into.

NeoForte

Ravidrath said:

Arcanist sounded really interesting before, but not sure what job that could turn into.

Time Mage! Kinda fits in an odd way.

Gvaz

Banned
How do I get a copy of this game anyways? Do I have to buy a physical copy? Plus all the cdkeys online are like $30

Allard

Ravidrath said:

I see Arcanist, Fencer, and Mystic being likely with Arcanist being the most likely. The main 7th umbral era NPC is an arcanist. It also already has some equipment modeled and animations in place, not to mention a guild in a city that desperately needs some additional combat classes as a home base. (I mean, Gridania and Ul'Dah both have 3 classes and Limsa only has 1, would be 3 also if they introduced Musketeer too when all is said and done)

We also got potential guilds coming when they finally open Ishgard in 2.0. My guess is Fencer Guild is in there along with a couple other guilds we saw in the wood work back during the beta days. We also know the Shepard's guild is there (If they ever release it lol).

My guess is that after the jobs update they will tease new class/jobs during the year long umbral era event by incorporating classes stories and also add NPC's that would tease us on just what they could do.

As for what class Arcanist could turn into what about time mage? It was sorely missing from FFXI, and with the lack of time spells in the game now it could be a nice niche to fill. Would also add a much needed support class mage that wasn't specialized in healing. That or they can return scholar back into the game and make the machination staff into the medium instead of a book.

Edit: Lol beaten on time mage.

Mature

Gvaz said:
How do I get a copy of this game anyways? Do I have to buy a physical copy? Plus all the cdkeys online are like $30
I have seen the special edition (the one with the authenticator and breathtaking artwork... yum) for $30 at certain places. I would look around.

Ravidrath said:

Wasn't there a drop down bar that showed fencer stuff somewhere? I would actually put my money on Fencer->RDM as being next. Though there has been a fair amount of talking up summoners and beastmasters. That wouldn't surprise me.

Allard

Mature said:
I have seen the special edition (the one with the authenticator and breathtaking artwork... yum) for $30 at certain places. I would look around.

Wasn't there a drop down bar that showed fencer stuff somewhere? I would actually put my money on Fencer->RDM as being next. Though there has been a fair amount of talking up summoners and beastmasters. That wouldn't surprise me.

Back in beta and even during the first release they had temp files in place (no icons) for a bunch of classes they clearly intended to release at some point. Fencer with a Rapier (and sub Rapier for dual-wielding), main attack was pierce. There was also Mystic, Stavesman (Combat Staff), Shepard, Arcanist, Musketeer, and something else... can't remember the name of it right now... oh wait Enforcer which used a club (Mace). Each of those classes had incorporated look up files that lead you to the first ability they could use, the type of weapon they could equip, the type of sub weapon they could use etc.

There was also other classes inside the .dats that people found through the 3 letter acronyms + names across multiple languages. Flayer with a whip, Samurai with a Great Katana, Assassin which used black arts for a weapon, Bard (Which clearly isn't going to come anymore now that its a job) which had musical instruments for weapons and a couple others if I remember right (All Disciples of War though). Since Bard is coming as a job, we can probably dash to pieces all but the ones that are clearly referenced in game off the potential list as they are not afraid to change what was coming down the pipeline. In otherwords I see Musketeer and Arcanist coming... the rest are up to Yoshida how and if he wants to implement them, or just add something completely new all together!

Jinko

Race change confirmed for 2.0, Im a happy bunny.

プロデューサ/ディレクタの吉田@ドイツへ移動開始です。
Producer/Director Yoshida here - started heading towards Germany.

新生とインタビューで微妙に内容が食い違っていて恐縮です。
I apologize that the 2.0 (documents) and Interview had contradicting information.

新生による民族(種族)追加時のキャラカスタマイズは、仕様上は民族変更も含め、
すべて変更可能にしてあります。
ですのでそこは資料通りなのですが「前日までルガディン兄貴だったのが、
突如ララフェル女子に!」ってのは、いいのかなあと悩んでいる最中なのです。
With the 2.0; Race change system is already included in the character customization so that part is same as the documents, but was wondering if it was OK to have situations such as "Till yesterday he was brother Roegadyn, now suddenly he became a Lalafel girl!"

ゲームポリシー的にどうしようかと(セカイカンガーにも近い)。
ですので、実際にその時期までに、皆さんのご意見も聞いて決めさせて頂こうかと思っていました。
フィードバックを受けて仕様を決める、という部分として、このスレッドを見て「なるほど」と思っています。
Looking at game policy was wondering if this was OK (would break the world concept)
So wanted to listen to every one's comments and decide on this.
As for this one, after looking at this thread it made me go "I see"
(players on the thread said it should be up to the players to decide)

仕様上は可能にしてありますし、変更しない人はしなくてもよい、
という選択肢が取れるので、UI上は変更可能にしておくのがよさそうですね。
The system is set so you can change, it's an option so if you don't want to change race you don't have to. In the UI feature the race change is already made possible so I think it's better to leave it as is.

Ravidrath

NeoForte said:
Time Mage! Kinda fits in an odd way.

Yeah, I agree that Time Mage could fit... their guild is full of orreries and other things that might imply time.

Could you really do enough spells to make a Time Mage interesting in the longer term, though? Obviously there would be Haste and Slow... but what else could there be?

lol51

Allard said:
Back in beta and even during the first release they had temp files in place (no icons) for a bunch of classes they clearly intended to release at some point. Fencer with a Rapier (and sub Rapier for dual-wielding), main attack was pierce. There was also Mystic, Stavesman (Combat Staff), Shepard, Arcanist, Musketeer, and something else... can't remember the name of it right now... oh wait Enforcer which used a club (Mace).

From my building of the database:

I can confirm that the latest version has Great Shield, Musketeer's Arm, Arcanist's Arm, and Two-Handed Arcanist's Arm in item categories.

For class names there are: samurai, stavesman, assassin, flayer, enforcer, fencer, arcanist, bard, mystic, shepherd.

If I had to guess which of these groups we would most likely see before 2.0 i would say the item category has more meaning.

Riposte

So we will be able to freely change our races and genders or as it is a one time change?

EDIT: I really appreciate Dark Souls. It is maybe the only game(well, aside from Demon's Souls) where I can love multiplayer and don't feel like it ruins the atmosphere the game at the same time. People making stupid dyes for their armor, jumping like maniacs, having stupid meme names, constantly changing their race, and the stuff going on in chat channels in general. All of this sucks, but the multiplayer makes it worth it. Also the fact the population base is deciding which of these annoying elements make it into the game makes it sting a little more. (Could I hate MMOs anymore than I do already?)

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
So how many of you were interested in the low level static thing? We still have more members who are low level who are looking for parties.

jiggle

i would love it
LOVE it
if we can change race (for free) at will
but somehow i doubt it
or there wouldn't be a need for barber shop (another feature i'm looking forward to)

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
How many rank 50 lancers we got here, anyway? We haven't made any serious attempts as an LS to kill Ifrit because there's never enough ppl on who are high enough rank and the right class.

Gonna try this weekend, but we'll see.

NeoForte

Ravidrath said:
Yeah, I agree that Time Mage could fit... their guild is full of orreries and other things that might imply time.

Could you really do enough spells to make a Time Mage interesting in the longer term, though? Obviously there would be Haste and Slow... but what else could there be?

Gravity, Stop, Reset, Comet, Regen, Old, Teleport Spells, Float, and other spells they could make to fit time and space motive.

Forgot Bind.

Riposte

The only thing I want a static of is low-level Primals, so we can do content without overpowering it. Though I wonder if they will all be level 30.

Teknoman

I'll help out (and I still need to do Ifrit, but lots of crazy stuff has been happening, so no time except this weekend).

My Gladiator is 35 and Marauder is 30...something (its under 35 I know lol).

Jinko

Rentahamster said:
How many rank 50 lancers we got here, anyway? We haven't made any serious attempts as an LS to kill Ifrit because there's never enough ppl on who are high enough rank and the right class.

Gonna try this weekend, but we'll see.

I'm working on it, not that it matters /shrugs lol

Jinko

Ciccio_Drink said:
what rank is needed for Ifrit (weak mode)? I would love to participate, but am still Lv22, lol

Easy mode is 25+, hard mode 45+

some info on jobs

Massively: Will the jobs that are previewed going to be linked to specific classes, or will they be somewhat more flexible?

Naoki Yoshida: To answer that question, we're just going to go into a little bit of an explanation of this job system. Let's say you're looking to become a Paladin and unlock the job. What we're planning is that you can get your Gladiator to level 30 and you also get your Marauder to level 15 -- and please note that these numbers are not set in stone. When both conditions have been met, you can unlock a quest, which you can accept to unlock the Paladin job.

Once that class is unlocked, you will earn a job stone (again, not necessarily the final name). When you equip that, you can change your class into the Paladin job. Beyond the level 30 quest through which you get the job stone, there will also be quests at, say, levels 35, 40, 45, and 50 -- just as an example -- that deliver you the story of the Paladin job.

The level of the jobs will always be connected with the base class, so by earning experience as a Gladiator, you will make your Paladin stronger, and any experience earned as a Paladin will go toward your Gladiator experience. There's no necessity to go and raise your Paladin separately from your Gladiator. However, there will be job-specific weapons and armor, and to unlock these, you'll need to do the quests after unlocking the jobs. Similarly, weaponskills and abilities won't be earned through levels but by doing those quests. Experience is how you improve your classes, but the quest chains are how you improve your jobs.

Obviously, the question is what's different between a class and a job. After discussing with the battle team how we wanted to do this, we decided that for light parties and casual play, we wanted players using the class system where you can freely mix and match abilities to make an all-around type of character. Jobs we want to make more specialized, like you see in a lot of other MMOs, such as where the Paladin would be designed as a tank. They have special abilities to defend other party members, and while attack power might be lower, they'll have abilities that will enhance defense and allow them to play a certain role in their party.

Of course, during this job system, to make sure that the job is specialized, there won't be as much freedom in using abilities of other classes. Players will be able to play a specific role, and with that they'll be able to know their roles in high-end battles that require more tactics and a more specific type of playstyle, rather than solo battles, which are more open and where we'd rather have players be using the class system to meet a more flexible style.

The best way of thinking about it is probably two different modes of character fighting style depending on what type of content you'll be playing.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/10/21/our-interview-with-final-fantasy-xivs-naoki-yoshida-part-2/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom