• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

hgplayer1

Teknoman said:
Stop using anima so much.

ff3-6j-airship-terra-hair.jpg

art-chocobo01.gif

You should really get into exp parties though. They're actually pretty fun now and you may end up fighting enemies you never fought/in areas you've never fought before.

Also has anyone received a bonus leve from evaluation? The faction, region, and difficulty factor in to what leve you receive, but I haven't done any in awhile.

Believe me it took me a long time to use up all that anima. I have been using return to get back to town and airships whenever possible I just havent used chocobos at all.

Only real reason I havent done exp parties is because Im not sure of the time I have to sit and play at any given time.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
More stats info:

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/26648-Stats-And-You!?p=415358&viewfull=1#post415358

So physical and magical critical hit rate are no longer be affected by attributes?
Yes, physical and magic critical hit rate will no longer be affected by attributes. They will only be affected by gear.

There is physical defense listed, but no magic defense. Which attribute will affect the amount of damage received from magic? What kind of effect does magic evasion have?
Magic defense was removed in patch 1.19.

Magic defense will be affected by elemental attributes. Each elemental attribute will reduce the magic damage received based on the element of the spell being cast.

Magic evasion is a parameter which determines what amount of damage and debuffs can be avoided when being hit by an enemy’s spell.

Is physical evasion not affected by attributes?
Yes, physical evasion is not affected by attributes. Physical evasion is determined by your level.

What was the reasoning behind the stat effect changes?
The changes are a continuation of the battle system revamps that started in patch 1.18, future class adjustments, and action review for each battle class. We will be posting more information regarding these changes and the direction of future class revamps on Topics and the official forums so please stay tuned.

This may be a separate topic, but where is the information for Disciples of the Land and Hand? Do they receive no effect from stats?
Attribute effects for Disciples of the Land:

STR: During the logging approach phase, it will be easier to determine the proper angle for each item.

VIT: During the mining approach phase, it will be easier to determine the proper force needed for each item.

DEX: During the fishing approach phase, it will be easier to determine the proper rod movement for each item.

INT: Number of items acquired by botanists will be increased.

MND: Number of items acquired by miners will be increased.

PIE: Number of items acquired by fishers will be increased.

Gathering: For main weapons, this reduces Remainders, for off hand weapons, this increases the rate of acquisition.

Output: Increases the number of gathers or hooked fish.

Perception: Makes it easier to obtain high quality items.

Attributes for Disciples of the Hand will increase the resulting product's quality.

Carpenter
Main Hand: VIT / Off Hand: DEX

Blacksmith
Main Hand: STR / Off Hand: MND

Armorer
Main Hand: VIT / Off Hand: STR

Goldsmith
Main Hand: DEX / Off Hand: INT

Leatherworker
Main Hand: VIT / Off Hand: INT

Weaver
Main Hand: DEX / Off Hand: MND

Alchemist
Main Hand: INT / Off Hand: PIE

Culinarian
Main Hand: MND / Off Hand: PIE

No changes were made in patch 1.19 for either Disciples of the Land or Disciples of the Hand.

Allard

can't believe this hasn't been posted yet. Another interview this time from Europe, some really nice heavy hitting questions and some great new info.

http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/107611-JPGames.DE-FFXIV-Interview-with-Naoki-Yoshida-and-Sage-Sundi

tldr types

*All jobs will require two classes leveled up to get the quest to unlock them, the main to 30, the other to 15. Those two classes will be the pool your job can pull abilities/spells from and the rest will be blocked out. For example Paladin is GLD lvl 30, MRD lvl 15. They are going to balance the classes starting in 1.20 around this concept including shuffling abilities and spells as well changing how they work. Combos will come next update and they can/will be soloed. (For instance they mentioned Lancers new specialty being a damage dealer who specializes in critical attack damage and uses combos to get the most from this specialty.)

*Player housing will be NON instanced and will be seen in the field with 20 or more estates in each housing area. Limsa housing will be based on the motif of a European Resort. You will have your own garden and fully customize your house. They say this is the natural progression of the crafters and disciples of the land and they will be heavily needed/used to do housing. So if you want to be the type that wants to build his own house well you better get your crafts up!

Edit: Also hints on the Crystal Tower content. Yoshida wants to bring back more ideas from older Final Fantasy's and the crystal tower is based on FFIII one.

Jinko

Some more on housing..

JPGAMES.DE said:
So called “free companies” are going to be implemented with the release of FINAL FANTASY XIV 2.0, additionally player housings and the summoning of the primal Ifrit are planned features. Can you give us some details on this matter?

Yoshida Naoki: About the housing estates for the free companies, at the moment most disciples of the hand or of the land are thinking: “Why are they concentrating on the battle side?” Housing estates are going to be very important for those players, because it is more related to the lifestyle. We can make sure these players, trying out different classes, can really fell like they are taking place in the game, that was really important to us. Even for an MMO it is something very special to have your own house in the game, so we are fully aware of that and we are making sure it is really going to be exciting.

Unlike other MMOs, in which you can only see your own house and each house is based on an instanced system, we want to make sure that other players can actually see your house as well. Around 20 houses can be in one area, you can make houses, not anywhere, but you will be able to decide in which part you want to have your house. You can also design your house itself and have your own garden, maybe you can grow your own Gysahl Greens there or house your own chocobo. You can really customize your own estate.

At the moment, in the Dev Team, you can actually see the mock up of the polygons. So you can see what the estate is going to look like. It’s the Limsa Lominsa version, and the concept is to make it like a European resort area, so it is going to be really beautiful. Up from the hill you can see the ocean, it’s going to be really nice, I believe. I’m looking forward to it.

http://jpgames.de/2011/10/jpgames-de-our-interview-with-naoki-yoshida/

NeoForte

Ravidrath said:
So fill me in on the Crystal Tower in FF3?

Didn't get too far into that one.

Basically it's a giant pillar of crystal that was so high it poked above the clouds (according to the FMV). In game, once inside...it was essentially the dungeon that lead to the final dungeon. Strong as hell monsters and kinda unforgiving. Also at it's basement was the entrance to The Forbidden Land, Eureka. A weird space that had items of ultimate power guarded by bosses...and also held the place where you get the final strongest spells in the game. Near the top you start fighting Dragons and other strong enemies, then you encounter Xande, which leads to the Dark World for the final boss rush.

Londa

Banned
If they are going to keep taking ideas from other final fantasies I hope they take the city from FFXII and make it Ishgard. I also hope they add a bunny race. (I love the tactics universe)

Allard

Londa said:
If they are going to keep taking ideas from other final fantasies I hope they take the city from FFXII and make it Ishgard. I also hope they add a bunny race. (I love the tactics universe)

Well the lead art designer of the game IS the same guy who did all the Ivalice games. Expect there to be lots of influences visually from FFXII. Hell the new WAR armor feels like a combination of the older judge and Gabranth from FFXII lol.

Londa

Banned
Allard said:
Well the lead art designer of the game IS the same guy who did all the Ivalice games. Expect there to be lots of influences visually from FFXII. Hell the new WAR armor feels like a combination of the older judge and Gabranth from FFXII lol.

I knew that from the first concept art that was shown. But they are not trying to link the two universe together since this is a whole different universe.

Jinko

lol51 said:
Finished a Quest Tracker for FFXIV-DB.com:

questtracker.jpg

http://www.ffxiv-db.com/questcheck.php

By inputting your CICUID from lodestone it looks you up, analysis which quests you completed, and lists all quests available, ineligible, and completed.

Holy shit thats amazing. :O (You might wana post this in the offical forums to get a bit of attention)

A suggestion, hide the "other" company quests when it says Joined other company.

Really annoys me that I have completed all the quests except Dreamers Dilema Grid and Limsa.

You guys should check this site out also http://www.ffxivspecs.com/

That really is awesome, you're doing a great job with the site. Something I think would be nice would be a filter to hide completed quests so you can have a list of the quests that you haven't done yet.

lol51

Analyzing the 2011.10.27.0000 update from a database standpoint:

• Lullaby TP cost increase from 1000 to 3000 - I have no idea what that means. Assume mobs will cast it less now?

Thats all i could find. Maybe new models were added or something.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
lol51 said:
Analyzing the 2011.10.27.0000 update from a database standpoint:
Lullaby TP cost increase from 1000 to 3000 - I have no idea what that means. Assume mobs will cast it less now?
Lullaby is the move the apkallu do that puts you to sleep.

lol51 said:
Maybe new models were added or something.
You think so? Wasn't the patch only about 27 MB?

lol51

Rentahamster said:
Lullaby is the move the apkallu do that puts you to sleep.

You think so? Wasn't the patch only about 27 MB?

No...not from 27MB in an emergency maintenance (thought it was bigger than that). Was pretty surprised the only thing I could find was a minor skill change. Wonder what notes will say - if any.

Riposte

That's a really awesome feature, but I don't want to type in my code every time I go on the site lol. Am I missing something?

lol51

Riposte said:
That's a really awesome feature, but I don't want to type in my code every time I go on the site lol. Am I missing something?

Bookmark URL with CICUID in it eg: http://www.ffxiv-db.com/questcheck.php?cicuid=11093653 in it.

The thing allows you to lookup anyone quest info.

Ill add a 'remember me' button.

SuperLurker said:
That really is awesome, you're doing a great job with the site. Something I think would be nice would be a filter to hide completed quests so you can have a list of the quests that you haven't done yet.

Good idea. Ill add a Hide completed button.

Jinko said:
A suggestion, hide the "other" company quests when it says Joined other company.

Perfectionist? :p I know it drives me mad too. It is possible to miss quests as a Recruit though. I will filter out Ranked GC though.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
@lol51

The new quest functionality is a really cool start.

My advice would be to ask yourself what you want the site to be. Is it feasible to make it do everything you can, or would it be better to try and focus on one aspect and make it the best you can?

The database is really good. It's already better than YG and ffxivpro. I think mooglebox is the only other site that has up to date recipes and a decent filtering system.

If you want people to use your site for quests, there needs to be a reason why they'd want to do that over other sites like xivpads. I'm not sure what you're planning in that regard.

I really like the idea of the mob camps, since the one at YG is a little sketchy. I'm just worried that it'll take too much work to complete, and might get all messed up if any spawns are significantly changed via a patch.

Overall, I'm very impressed at what you've made in such a short amount of time.

lol51

Rentahamster said:
@lol51

The new quest functionality is a really cool start.

My advice would be to ask yourself what you want the site to be. Is it feasible to make it do everything you can, or would it be better to try and focus on one aspect and make it the best you can?

The database is really good. It's already better than YG and ffxivpro. I think mooglebox is the only other site that has up to date recipes and a decent filtering system.

If you want people to use your site for quests, there needs to be a reason why they'd want to do that over other sites like xivpads. I'm not sure what you're planning in that regard.

I really like the idea of the mob camps, since the one at YG is a little sketchy. I'm just worried that it'll take too much work to complete, and might get all messed up if any spawns are significantly changed via a patch.

Overall, I'm very impressed at what you've made in such a short amount of time.

Thanks.

Right now my goal is to extract and parse as much info as I can from client database. Make my code easy to upgrade when 2.0 happens.

What else would I need to add to quest tracker? Just knowing which quests I have incomplete, reward given, and a link to eorzeapedia for more details is more than satisfactory. I wrote this in 1.5 days. I saw the same concept on a JP site and said this would be nice to have for english players. I didnt know about xivpads.... It seems like it scrapes lodestone and makes the data look nicer. I don't know if it does what my quest tracker does. Am I missing something?

Doing the spawn map is not realistic at the moment. Right now I want to scrape stuff from DB and pin it to map. Spawn data will come later. 2.0 is coming out and the entire world will change. For now I want to make maps useful.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
lol51 said:
What else would I need to add to quest tracker? Just knowing which quests I have incomplete, reward given, and a link to eorzeapedia for more details is more than satisfactory. I wrote this in 1.5 days. I saw the same concept on a JP site and said this would be nice to have for english players. I didnt know about xivpads.... It seems like it scrapes lodestone and makes the data look nicer. I don't know if it does what my quest tracker does. Am I missing something?
xiv pads doesn't show what quests you have missing. This is the strong point about your quest tracker.

If I am a completionist player who wants to figure out what quests I still need to do, then I would want to look it up on your site.

The following features would make things more convenient for me:

filter the results to only show incomplete quests

filter the results to only show story, GC, guild, or side quests.

sort the results by rank required

sort the results by EXP reward or item reward

sort the results by quest NPC location

Jomjom

Banned
That is an awesome tool for quest tracking and quest info finding. Thanks!

YoshiP's transparency is something that has made me pull a complete 180 on continuing after the free period ends. It is simply amazing, all of the information he has shared with the player base. Just a week ago I was really disappointed that they were going to start charging, but after seeing all the interviews and the information SE released on Lodestone, I'm a believer!

So now that I'm staying to see FFXIV's version of WoW Cataclysm, can I get a linkpearl from someone here?

I'm Glenn Kaeru on Lindblum and I'm usually in game from around 7 p.m. PST to around midnight or 1 a.m. Oh yeah I'm also in Limsa. Thanks!

lol51

Rentahamster said:

Sounds good I'll add more filter functionality.

I quickly added ability to "Always Use this CICUID" and "Hide completed Quests" real quick.

lol51 I noticed the recipe for 3 x brass ingot is missing 2 zinc ore, just thought I should point that out :D

Fixed.

Jinko

xiv pads doesn't show what quests you have missing. This is the strong point about your quest tracker.

Yea it does you just have to click on the tracker button and then go to story/quests.

queste.jpg

What I like about XIVpads is that its easy to read and they are divided into sub sections when the quests were added, so newly released quests are at the bottom old at the top.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Jinko said:
Yea it does you just have to click on the tracker button and then go to story/quests.
Oh, lol, I didn't even know that. It didn't seem too obvious to me by just looking at the interface.

They don't list the coordinates or the rewards, though, so if I'm looking at pads to see what quests I have to do, I still have to copy the name of the quest, and then paste it into another database site to find out more info. Right?

lol51

Jinko said:
What I like about XIVpads is that its easy to read and they are divided into sub sections when the quests were added, so newly released quests are at the bottom old at the top.

:-/

Didnt know XIVpads did that, but it can be useful for a DB site to do it tho.

Rentahamster said:

filter the results to only show incomplete quests

filter the results to only show story, GC, guild, or side quests.

sort the results by rank required

sort the results by EXP reward or item reward

sort the results by quest NPC location

All of that functionality added.

Teknoman

Allard said:
can't believe this hasn't been posted yet. Another interview this time from Europe, some really nice heavy hitting questions and some great new info.

http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/107611-JPGames.DE-FFXIV-Interview-with-Naoki-Yoshida-and-Sage-Sundi

tldr types

*All jobs will require two classes leveled up to get the quest to unlock them, the main to 30, the other to 15. Those two classes will be the pool your job can pull abilities/spells from and the rest will be blocked out. For example Paladin is GLD lvl 30, MRD lvl 15. They are going to balance the classes starting in 1.20 around this concept including shuffling abilities and spells as well changing how they work. Combos will come next update and they can/will be soloed. (For instance they mentioned Lancers new specialty being a damage dealer who specializes in critical attack damage and uses combos to get the most from this specialty.)

*Player housing will be NON instanced and will be seen in the field with 20 or more estates in each housing area. Limsa housing will be based on the motif of a European Resort. You will have your own garden and fully customize your house. They say this is the natural progression of the crafters and disciples of the land and they will be heavily needed/used to do housing. So if you want to be the type that wants to build his own house well you better get your crafts up!

Edit: Also hints on the Crystal Tower content. Yoshida wants to bring back more ideas from older Final Fantasy's and the crystal tower is based on FFIII one.

Londa said:
ooommmggggggg

*fans self*

djplaeskool said:
Oh man, FFIII Crystal Tower-like events?

c0Ftq.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uXn9hw7Cvg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdmqWICKtAc&feature=related

jN5xVNoEh48ow.png

Ravidrath

Lol51, I'm really liking the site.

With regards to completionist tendencies... I've got easter quests showing up in my log, and since it's impossible for me to actually do those, seems like you should add the ability to filter out holiday-related quests, and have that be off by default.

Jinko

lol51 just out of curiousity how are you at flash ? would be cool if you could make an addon to sync up with your website in 2.0.

Londa

Banned
I found this interesting on the official forums:

They did talk in the past about being able to chat and depending on key words you say in chat the character performing certain motions or expressions. Also when AFK or Idle to set motions to perform and stuff...

Dunno how long that will be though, it's in one of my translated posts lol

Jinko

JeuxOnLine did an interview with Yoshida, some really good stuff in this one.

http://rainyautumnskies.wordpress.com/2011/10/28/10-27-2011-interview-with-naoki-yoshida/

And you’ll be able to obtain very unique and cute items with the Moogles! But probably it will be more difficult to defeat him compared to Ifrit.

Sounds like they are adding not only combos but combo regimens and super combo attacks that have really good special effects which can only be used once per boss fight.

Another interview :- Yoshi has been busy this week lol.
http://forum.finalfantasy14.eu/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1993

That being said, I’m not saying we are not going to add anymore zones. In 1.20 you will be able to fight against moogles, which will be in a new zone.

I really like the direction this game is headed in and I can't wait for 1.21 and beyond.

Version 2.0 has already been detailed so I'm going to leave most of that information out but here are some exciting tidbits gathered from the above and other interviews from the past few weeks for those not keeping up:

Free Companies:
-Stronger and tighter sense of community than linkshells with more guild-like functionality
-Customizable membership ranks
-Customizable shield/crest which can be grafted onto armory items
-Integrated content like Primal control/summoning, quests, PVP, region control, company housing, etc.

Mounts:
-Other mount types including a possible FFVI styled Magitek Armor instead of a FFXIV styled Magitek Armor
-Chocobos in combat
-Chocobo breeding allowing different types of Chocobos to be created such as Fat Chocobos for item storage, chocobos bred for combat (slow moving), chocobos bred for healing/support, etc.
-Chocobo coloring - black chocobos as a rare color

Jobs:
-More classes coming

Yoshida wants to balance the class pool first by adding more magic (and possibly range attack) classes but also has plans for more melee classes/jobs. He mentions Ninja, Thief, Samurai, and something "DARK". A summoner class and pet based class has also been mentioned and there are still some unrealized/dropped classes that were data mined in the current FFXIV like Muskateer and Arcanist.

-Multiple requirements to unlock jobs (multiple class requirements and quests)
-Jobs developed/enhanced via quests

I wonder how they will balance the new job system if they are "leveled" via questing. How does a Paladin compare to a level 30 Gladiator and level 15 Marauder if that's all I need to unlock the job? How do stats like HP/MP and attributes like STR, DEX, etc. come into play, especially if this can be customized and redistributed at some point? Would these attributes be on par with a 50 Gladiator? How do you balance content for the new job system without levels? For example, if you balance a boss to match a party of characters at level 50, what if most of the jobs in the party have been greatly enhanced by gear and completing lots of job quests? These jobs are now the equivalent of a level 60 class but tackling content intended for less accomplished classes.

Combat:
-More dynamic and exciting combat which includes positioning
-Combo system - multiple combos with linking
-Party Combos - combining combos with other players' combos to create special attacks
-Possible "coup de grace" finishing type move triggered by combos or by a one-time execution of battle commands by the entire party that can be activated once per battle.
-Some finalized class balancing and role definition

Armory/Weapons:
-Great Swords, Two-Handed Katanas, Dual Katanas
-Turning armor or weapons into legendary Final Fantasy items (possibly limited like summoning Primals). Examples given were Excalibur and the Genji Armor set.

Housing:
-Custom player housing that is visibile in the world of Eorzea (up to 20 in each zone). Can be built and customized via crafting jobs.
-Features gardens and chocobo stables

Hopefully there are lots of plans for quests and recipes for furnishing items. My favorite thing about playing games like Animal Crossing is customizing my house. It would also be nice if you could invite people into your house.

Cross Server Functionality:
-The ability to change servers once per week is a possibility being considered

How will things like linkshells and free companies work within this system?

Miscellaneous:
-Yoshida really wants to capture the look and feel of the original Amano classic Final Fantasy designs.
-Hints about including other historical and classic landmarks, dungeons, zones, items, etc. from the Final Fantasy series along the same lines as the Crystal Tower from FFIII which is coming to Eorzea.

WIN!

Mature

Every one of these interviews has something worth reading. Good stuff.

ROBOKITTYZILLA said:
-Yoshida really wants to capture the look and feel of the original Amano classic Final Fantasy designs.
This.

Jomjom

Banned
I love that YoshiP wants to pay homage to the old Amano FFs. Also they really do need to overhaul the battle animation. My first 4 battle skills as Gladiator were basically the same spin attack animation with a different color effect. There was more variety in weaponskills in FFXI, but even those were pretty bad. With the new graphical update, I'm hoping for skills that are on par with the flashy moves in the console, offline FFs.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
@lol51 more suggestions:

Recently, I decided to rank up miner. I checked your site to see what kind of gear I needed to get. I had to individually search through each category (tool, body, head, waist, legs, etc) and pick out appropriate gear for my level that had desirable gathering stats.

If I there was a checkbox that I could check on the item filters so that it would show only the items with any kind of gathering stat (+gathering, +output, +perception) , that would be easier/faster than playing with the pulldown menu filters.

Additionally, if I could have done this things would have been a lot faster:

Pick a class: miner
Pick a level: 20
Pick a stat I want to maximize: output

The search would then see every single item that a level 20 miner could wear, and then put together a gear selection that would give me the highest "output" stat. That would save soooo much time. This way, I don't have to do a search for each individual item category.

Here's another situation I ran into:

Once I had a list of items I wanted to use for my miner, I had to manually tally up all the materials required to make everything. This took a lot of time. What if you could implement some kind of "saved items" list or something so I can have all the items I'm interested in one place? Let me explain using Amazon.com as an analogy.

So, I search for all the items I need. When I find an item I want, I click an "add to my cart" button or something. I do this for every item I want. When I'm done "shopping", I go to my "cart" (list of saved items), and see what I have. My "cart" then calculates all the materials I need to craft everything so I don't have to add it all up myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom