• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mature

Jinko said:
I love Amano's art style you can definately see the influence in the Monk AF.
Oh, wow yeah it does. I was thinking the Dragoon was reminiscent of his style.
ff14-dragon-knight.jpg

Jinko

Rentahamster said:
@lol51 more suggestions:

Recently, I decided to rank up miner. I checked your site to see what kind of gear I needed to get. I had to individually search through each category (tool, body, head, waist, legs, etc) and pick out appropriate gear for my level that had desirable gathering stats.

If I there was a checkbox that I could check on the item filters so that it would show only the items with any kind of gathering stat (+gathering, +output, +perception) , that would be easier/faster than playing with the pulldown menu filters.

Additionally, if I could have done this things would have been a lot faster:

Pick a class: miner
Pick a level: 20
Pick a stat I want to maximize: output

The search would then see every single item that a level 20 miner could wear, and then put together a gear selection that would give me the highest "output" stat. That would save soooo much time. This way, I don't have to do a search for each individual item category.

Here's another situation I ran into:

Once I had a list of items I wanted to use for my miner, I had to manually tally up all the materials required to make everything. This took a lot of time. What if you could implement some kind of "saved items" list or something so I can have all the items I'm interested in one place? Let me explain using Amazon.com as an analogy.

So, I search for all the items I need. When I find an item I want, I click an "add to my cart" button or something. I do this for every item I want. When I'm done "shopping", I go to my "cart" (list of saved items), and see what I have. My "cart" then calculates all the materials I need to craft everything so I don't have to add it all up myself.

Yea I suggested this a while back kind of like a gear finder feature, would be very handy.

lol51

Rentahamster said:
If I there was a checkbox that I could check on the item filters so that it would show only the items with any kind of gathering stat (+gathering, +output, +perception) , that would be easier/faster than playing with the pulldown menu filters.

I have been meaning to add that.... and just did. Works nice.

Hehe... Its pretty awesome. Found Conj gear level 20+ that has both gathering and crafting stats.

http://www.ffxiv-db.com/index.php?w...H=1&DoL=1&lmin=20&lmax=&r=&old=1&undf=1&CON=1

Rentahamster said:
Additionally, if I could have done this things would have been a lot faster:

Pick a class: miner
Pick a level: 20
Pick a stat I want to maximize: output

The search would then see every single item that a level 20 miner could wear, and then put together a gear selection that would give me the highest "output" stat. That would save soooo much time. This way, I don't have to do a search for each individual item category.

Jinko said:
Yea I suggested this a while back kind of like a gear finder feature, would be very handy.

Ok you two convinced me... I will try.

Can i get a priority for Gatherer, Crafter, and Combat?

eg: What is more important Output>Gathering>Perception ?

I actually have to sit down for a day or two and create a stat value for each class. Bot values INT more than STR (or whatever)
Rentahamster said:
Here's another situation I ran into:

Once I had a list of items I wanted to use for my miner, I had to manually tally up all the materials required to make everything. This took a lot of time. What if you could implement some kind of "saved items" list or something so I can have all the items I'm interested in one place? Let me explain using Amazon.com as an analogy.

So, I search for all the items I need. When I find an item I want, I click an "add to my cart" button or something. I do this for every item I want. When I'm done "shopping", I go to my "cart" (list of saved items), and see what I have. My "cart" then calculates all the materials I need to craft everything so I don't have to add it all up myself.

MyBackpack with statistics. Ill look at this more after Gear Finder.

Jinko

Maybe you should leave it for players to put their own values in ?

Even if you do it by favour such as :-

Gathering 1st
Perception 2nd
Output 3rd

And the results display in that order.

What I would suggest is make a seperate gear finder page, have fields where you fill in your level, your class and your 3 highest favoured stats and then the site would find the best item for all gear slots.

Could be a lot of work.

Something like this, the stats would have drop down boxes, not sure if you would want to get into accessories and ammo and the rest of it.

dummyr.jpg

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
lol51 said:
Ok you two convinced me... I will try.

Can i get a priority for Gatherer, Crafter, and Combat?

eg: What is more important Output>Gathering>Perception ?
Each stat does something different. For example, if you want a lot of items for farming, a miner would want to have lots of MND and lots of output. If a miner wanted to have more successful gathers more often, he would want to have lots of VIT and lots of gathering stat. If a miner wants to farm more HQ items, he would want to have lots of MND and lots of perception stat.

I think it might be best to let the user specify their preferred order of stat priority, or to make it easier on you, just implement optimization for only one stat for now.

It also might be useful to add a note on the site about what effects stats have on your character.

There are several dev posts about it in this thread:
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/26648-Stats-And-You!

Another idea to expand on my earlier suggestion of a gear bookmarking feature:

Now that I think about it, I was pretty much thinking of a "wishlist" like Newegg and Amazon have. That way, say I want to ask a crafter to make a bunch of items for me. I can make a "wishlist" on your site comprised of all the items I want. This list would have a unique URL, just like the wishlists on Newegg.

The crafter visits that URL, sees the list of items he needs to make, and sees the list of the total materials he needs to craft everything.

Londa

Banned
If we are going to add Katanas, then of course, we need Samurais. It will be added when we’ll add more new classes, for example, I’m thinking about who should hold two Katanas, should that be Ninja? Should it be a job? In that case, should Thief be the class? We are sort of discussing the things with the dev team. That being said, there a lot of attackers, fighting classes in the game at the moment, and there’s not many Disciples of the Magic. We need to adjust the balance, the class balance and the battle balance. And I don’t want too many fighter classes before we add other classes. I want to make sure there’s more magic-related classes first.

Yossshhhiii this is a stupid question! OF COURSE IT SHOULD. Don't make my long post about the Thief class be in vain!!

Jinko

Londa said:
Yossshhhiii this is a stupid question! OF COURSE IT SHOULD. Don't make my long post about the Thief class be in vain!!

Not really, Theif could be an offshoot of Gladiator, something like Gladiator 30 (for dagger) and Pugalist 15 (for evasion moves). Questable skill steal.

Theif is supposed to be a Dagger class not a Katana.

lol51 another suggestion .. lol

For the gear finder results you could have a pop up box when mousing over the results, similar to how ZAM and YG do it.

Later on you could get user feedback on what values to use if you decide to add stat weight scales, lots of people like to crunch numbers and theory craft, im sure there are plenty on the offical forums who would be willing to help.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Wow, nice!

This is my suggestion for user-friendliness:

Have the default option be to display only the top item.

That way, a casual user can just say, "OK, I'm a rank 30 miner and I want to have the most output stat!", and then he can simply enter: rank 30; miner; output, and then see a small list of the 7 items he needs.

That way you can avoid clutter and confusion.

If a power user wants to have more functionality, like seeing the top 3 gear choices per body part, then he can check a box to enable that advanced functionality.

Kinda like how the default option for Newegg is basic search, and you can enable advanced or power search if you want to.

Londa

Banned
lol51 be careful about posting your ideas for your site on here. The new TOS allows for third parties to take content posted on the site and use it for their own.

lol51

Londa said:
lol51 be careful about posting your ideas for your site on here. The new TOS allows for third parties to take content posted on the site and use it for their own.

A TV that has a built in boxee+slingbox in it.

A remote control that on the back has a mouse you can control with your index finger.

Condiment bottle design that doesnt have that watery buildup.

;) I wont be posting the source code

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
lol51 said:

A remote control that on the back has a mouse you can control with your index finger.

lmao!

Londa

Banned
lol51 said:

that doesn't stop people from taking ideas so I wanted to make you aware of the new addition to the TOS.

Gvaz

Banned
I got a collector's edition of this off of ebay for 17.50 w/ free shipping

I won't get it till like prolly as late as nov 15 tho...

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Gvaz said:
I got a collector's edition of this off of ebay for 17.50 w/ free shipping

I won't get it till like prolly as late as nov 15 tho...
Maybe you should just tell the seller to open it and email you the registration key.

....but then again, that kinds opens up the door to getting scammed, maybe.

Jinko

So was gathering around nine ivies and the terrain is less copy and paste up round there.
Too bad nobody gets to see this stuff :(

ffxivgame20111029022431.jpg

ffxivgame20111029022500.jpg

ffxivgame20111029022629.jpg

ffxivgame20111029022718.jpg

ffxivgame20111029022736.jpg

fahr

Hi Rentahamster, I should be on tonight (finally, its been a rough week), if your around Uldah, I should be around grinding. :)

Jomjom

Banned
Rentahamster said:
OK, so Choco Puffs and Glenn Kaeru still need a pearl, right?

Am I missing anyone else?
Yup still need one, but I wont be home until Sunday night. If I can get one then please let me know. Thanks!

Teknoman

Londa said:

Really?

Or is that about the Kotaku article thing, and just flew over my head?

ROBOKITTYZILLA said:
Armory/Weapons:
-Great Swords, Two-Handed Katanas, Dual Katanas
-Turning armor or weapons into legendary Final Fantasy items (possibly limited like summoning Primals). Examples given were Excalibur and the Genji Armor set.

FUCK YEAH. Sword class that isn't a goddamn tank, give now.

kiryogi

Banned
Jinko said:
So was gathering around nine ivies and the terrain is less copy and paste up round there.
Too bad nobody gets to see this stuff :(

Actually if you do story mode, you get treated to that area.

Jinko

lol51 said:
I got a trip tomorrow and wont be back till sunday...

Heres what i got on the Gear Finder so far:

http://www.ffxiv-db.com/gear_finder.php

I just stopped coding cause it got late... there is probably tons of bugs and its not balanced well...

but I look forward to reading your suggestios

No CON and THM /cry

How are you getting the gear score values ?

OMG your turning this game into WOW ../lol

For melee weapons damage is the biggest factor in DPS, so you will probably have to code them differentlty, Magic weapons would be the same as armour (based on stats) although I get the feeling they will change magic weapons in the next few patches.

Good stuff so far though looking forward to the end result.

Just some idea's what the default stats should be.
LNC:- Attack Power > Stength > Crit Rate
MRD:- Defense > HP > Attack Power (Tank) Renta will be more help here, would probably be same as LNC for DPS
CNJ:- Healing Magic > MP > Mind
THM:- Attack Magic > Piety > MP (not sure about this)
GLD:- Defense > HP > Dex

You may want to have 2 marauder options in the drop down box one for DPS and one for Tanking.

Thoraxes

Rentahamster said:
Da hell? Since when did you become a mod?
He's doing database stuff or something technical that I totally do not have an understanding of.

There was a thread where Evilore asked about it.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Thoraxes said:
He's doing database stuff or something technical that I totally do not have an understanding of.

There was a thread where Evilore asked about it.
Ah. Welp, grats, Gromph, and thanks for any work you put in to make the forum run better.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Unknown Soldier said:
As long as he can't ban me, I'm fine with whatever color his name is. :3

I will not ban you :)

Kandinsky said:
Haha awesome Gromph, me imagino que se debe a ese sticky que tenía Evilore hace unos dias? anyways grats! :D

Yeah, System admin, helping with migration.

Rentahamster said:
Ah. Welp, grats, Gromph, and thanks for any work you put in to make the forum run better.

Thanks, i will do my best :)

Munba said:

I love you! :)

Jinko

Might be worth everyone submitting their results to try and help with this server lag issue.
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/29286-Feedback-Request-on-Network-Delay

So my results are:-

1 1 ms <1 ms <1 ms BTHomeHub.home [192.168.1.254]
2 53 ms 35 ms 30 ms 217.47.107.250
3 35 ms 32 ms 31 ms 217.47.107.145
4 54 ms 34 ms 36 ms 213.1.69.122
5 36 ms 36 ms 40 ms 213.120.179.58
6 36 ms 36 ms 38 ms 213.120.179.182
7 36 ms 35 ms 36 ms 109.159.251.229
8 42 ms 40 ms 47 ms core1-te0-13-0-2.ilford.ukcore.bt.net [109.159.251.137]
9 43 ms 43 ms 44 ms peer2-xe9-0-0.telehouse.ukcore.bt.net [109.159.254.126]
10 47 ms 44 ms 93 ms 195.99.126.129
11 386 ms 274 ms 266 ms te7-4.losangeles1.loa.seabone.net [89.221.35.146]
12 255 ms 258 ms 256 ms pacnet.losangeles1.loa.seabone.net [89.221.35.186]
13 353 ms 348 ms 346 ms gi8-0-0.cr1.nrt1.asianetcom.net [202.147.0.121]
14 343 ms 347 ms 345 ms gi1-0-0.gw1.nrt5.asianetcom.net [202.147.0.178]
15 350 ms 351 ms 354 ms squareco.asianetcom.net [203.192.149.210]
16 356 ms 356 ms 354 ms 61.195.56.129
17 357 ms 355 ms 354 ms 219.117.144.2
18 352 ms 351 ms 346 ms 219.117.146.149
19 364 ms 362 ms 361 ms 219.117.146.129
20 359 ms 356 ms 355 ms 219.117.146.46
21 358 ms 369 ms 357 ms 202.67.52.81

Someone from Japan ..

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms ntt.setup [192.168.1.1]
2 2 ms 2 ms 2 ms 133.160.150.148
3 3 ms 3 ms 3 ms 133.160.150.145
4 3 ms 2 ms 3 ms 133.160.112.73
5 9 ms 10 ms 10 ms 133.160.110.61
6 16 ms 17 ms 17 ms 133.160.103.113
7 17 ms 17 ms 17 ms 133.160.103.201
8 17 ms 17 ms 16 ms 133.160.100.13
9 17 ms 17 ms 16 ms 133.160.100.10
10 17 ms 17 ms 17 ms 61.195.56.9
11 17 ms 17 ms 17 ms 219.117.144.6
12 18 ms 17 ms 17 ms 219.117.146.153
13 17 ms 17 ms 17 ms 219.117.146.141
14 19 ms 18 ms 18 ms 219.117.146.42
15 17 ms 17 ms 17 ms 202.67.52.81

Regional servers can I has it !!!!

Japanese thread if you want to compare your results

I like world servers just fine. Once they transition to new server and client code in 2.0 the current problems should go away since most of the problems with lag in the current game aren't caused by the Internet.

Ravidrath

What's the deal with servers in 2.0, anyway?

They keep talking about different servers and changing servers, but didn't the original PDFs say the game would become server-less?

Jinko

Unknown Soldier said:
I like world servers just fine. Once they transition to new server and client code in 2.0 the current problems should go away since most of the problems with lag in the current game aren't caused by the Internet.

What I showed you above is the latency i get from UK > japan, has nothing to do with SE's actual server, just the route I go to get there.

I'm still hoping for regional servers, Yoshi said he would look at the latency issue first before making any decision about regional servers as it quite expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom