• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenderoni

Neo Member
So turns out it doesn't work on my computer because of the integrated video card... Do you guys think they will fix this soon or should I plan on updating my computer?

SOLDIER

I had an issue with the beta where the text size and UI were too small when playing on a big screen TV at 1920x1080. For anyone else who can enjoy a similar setup, could you try it out and let me know if they fixed this?

If not, is there a manual fix you can do in order to customize the text window to be bigger? FFXI had a fix like this, so I'm hoping this follows suit.

Also, does the PS3 chatpad work with this game? If so, I may use PS3 controller+chatpad.

notworksafe

tenderoni said:
So turns out it doesn't work on my computer because of the integrated video card... Do you guys think they will fix this soon or should I plan on updating my computer?
Probably upgrade or wait for PS3 version. Square has enough problems getting the game to run smoothly on high end PCs.

Fixed1979

Getting the following error when minimizing the game. Any help?

"Unable to detect DirectX device. The program has shut down. Please restart Final Fantasy XIV."

EDIT: It appears to be a known problem...blah. Anyone use Windower XIV?

http://www.windowerxiv.com

lupinko

For some reason none of the codes I get from my authenticator work as a one time code for me to play the game. Am I doing something wrong? =/

Teknoman

zlatko said:
This game has a HUGE initial hurdle to tackle. A lot of Gaffers were saying all the "tutorial" stuff was going to be in the manual...well none of it is, and it's still not there in the game either. You'll have to ask around here and in game when you aren't sure of something.

I think a lot of Gaf people though had beta experience so that hurdle doesn't exist now, but yeah I would hate to be a person who just randomly picks this game up off the shelf from Gamestop without a clue other than "oh I love Final Fantasy 7...hope this one is awesome too."

Well there is the manual, XIV lodestone, call to adventure, and tutorial leves for that guy. Its really not as hard to understand as some people are making it out to be.

However, S-E's payment system does sound complicated at times (its not, just the wording used and methods).

Fixed1979

lupinko said:
For some reason none of the codes I get from my authenticator work as a one time code for me to play the game. Am I doing something wrong? =/

Did you register the authenticator? Are you still entering the account password?

Teknoman

lupinko said:

Did you register the authenticator? Theres a slip that tells you the site to go to, and then its straight forward from there.

After an amazingly arduous registration process to get all the in-game items and the game itself, I'm finally ready to jump on.

Trying to register the game itself using the red product registration card (same one as you get with FFXIII) says my code has expired. Really, Squenix? Maybe they aren't activating that until the 30th or something. :lol

Kagari said:
Long install or longest install?

It installs roughly ~12,000 tiny files, so I vote longest install. :lol

Oh right, there's a Battle.net Mobile Authenticator app for iPhone and Android that Blizzard made for WoW players, Squenix needs to make one for mobile phones as well because I know I'm going to lose this silly security token dongle one day.

lupinko

Teknoman said:
Did you register the authenticator? Theres a slip that tells you the site to go to, and then its straight forward from there.

Oh I didn't, that would explain a lot. I'm still new to this, considering when I played WoW it was before authenticators. :lol

Fixed1979

brandonh83 said:
Never got into any betas, are there no demos or... anything?

There are 30 day buddy passes that come with the CE. I'm assuming their coming later as there was nothing in the box.

QisTopTier said:
friend gave me the trail key but.... no way to get the game still! There is no site to dl using the trial key how fail is that?

that is actually pretty hilarious. I assume they think you will give them the discs.

Bii

Uhh...I registered my Onion Helm code AFTER I created my character. Does that mean I can't get it for said character unless I delete him/create a new one?

LaneDS

Totally caved and bought the CE with my Amazon $20 credit. I blame my stupid friends, who in turn blame me. We're all going in with the expectation of playing the 30 days and then shelving it until they get it polished up real nice.

Presently hating myself a good amount for the above too.

careksims

Okay now I got the game in and my items and everything is swell. I like how smoothly it runs! computer is running fine. Nothing melting. Settings on High. Sad about no Chocobos, airships, and bust sizes.

QisTopTier said:
friend gave me the trail key but.... no way to get the game still! There is no site to dl using the trial key how fail is that?

Check the patch link in the OP. Guy is hosting the ISO for the game.

Bii said:
Uhh...I registered my Onion Helm code AFTER I created my character. Does that mean I can't get it for said character unless I delete him/create a new one?

Correct.

Teknoman

Bii said:

I'd think as long as its registered to your account, it'll be on any character created with that S-E ID.

daebo

I'm still downloading the torrent (i'm getting that disc error) and have been most of the night. Going to go to bed. I hope it's finished in the morning.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
QisTopTier said:

Makes sense to leave servers a bit more clear for paying players for the first few days.

mileS

Had to drive around for 2-3 hours trying to find the CE today. Thats what I get for not pre-ordering.

I didn't play any of the beta and I didn't play any of FF11 either. The only MMO I've played before is WoW for about 4 years off and on. Basically I know i'm in for a much different experience with this game but I'm ready to try something new. Looking forward to playing with everybody here! Although I'm still not very clear about what this games equivalent to a guild from WoW is and how it works.

Teknoman

mileS said:
Had to drive around for 2-3 hours trying to find the CE today. Thats what I get for not pre-ordering.

I didn't play any of the beta and I didn't play any of FF11 either. The only MMO I've played before is WoW for about 4 years off and on. Basically I know i'm in for a much different experience with this game but I'm ready to try something new. Looking forward to playing with everybody here! Although I'm still not very clear about what this games equivalent to a guild from WoW is and how it works.

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/index.html

Check out stuff there and read the manual before getting started, helps get a decent foothold.

Fixed1979

I know you just need to switch weapons to change class. How soon in the game can you do this? I picked therm and meant to pick conj and I really don't want to go through everything again right now if I can avoid it.

Teknoman

Fixed1979 said:
I know you just need to switch weapons to change class. How soon in the game can you do this? I picked therm and meant to pick conj and I really don't want to go through everything again right now if I can avoid it.

Just buy one of the beginners weapons at an NPC shop, or even the guild for that class.

jiggle

Fixed1979 said:

as soon as u save up around 1,000 gils to buy a new weapon

but really u should restart
so your default armors will actually fit the job you're playing on

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Okay so I finally got this thing installed and patched. Before I do anything should I go register the bonus items?

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Where do you click to register the Onion Helmet? Got to the part where I added the CD key, but I dont see anywhere for the bonus items

Also, do you need to enter your CC info yet?

Teknoman

Raging Spaniard said:
Where do you click to register the Onion Helmet? Got to the part where I added the CD key, but I dont see anywhere for the bonus items

Also, do you need to enter your CC info yet?

Add the key in the same place where you add the CD key. About CC info...I dont think you have to, but i'm not sure.

Raoh

i'm coming from ffxi and figured i would post my info in case there are guild openinings..

Name: Bronx Lakshmi (combination of ffxi charater name and server)
Clan: Duskwight Male
Class: Marauder
Nameday: 23rd Sun of the 1st Astral Moon
Guardian: Halone, the Fury
Starting City: Limsa Lominsa
World: Wutai

Kagari said:
Okay so I finally got this thing installed and patched. Before I do anything should I go register the bonus items?

YES!

Helpful hint to anyone new. If you start a crafting leve and it asks for 2 and they give you 4 materials. Don't turn them in if you do the first 2. Do all 4 for the extra skillups!

Goodnight! I'm really liking this game besides the lag! :D

Fixed1979

jiggle said:
as soon as u save up around 1,000 gils to buy a new weapon

but really u should restart
so your default armors will actually fit the job you're playing on

I can't imagine there's much if any difference between the armor for the two magic disciplines. If there is then I'll actually restart tomorrow I guess. I only just got to the first camp so it's not really a big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom