• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balya

I'm in, got my 3 items, all that jazz. I decided to just go with what I had in the beta, so I started as a GLA in Ul'dah again, Balya Malkan.

This still runs at "barely playable" for me though so I'd probably be useless at grouping. I'll just get some basic stuff done solo until I can see about an upgrade.

daebo

I've tried downloading the game twice now and keep getting an error that shuts down the installation.

Has anybody seen or heard of the "feature transfer error" Data error redundancy check?

Dineren

Banned
I'm running around Gridania completely confused as Dineren Nreroc. The keyboard controls scheme is bizarre, but at least I'm above single digit fps for now :D. I think I'm going to have to build myself a new computer.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
pancakesandsex said:
This isn't the character creation where it occurs, it's the SE account page. Just say you want to continue when it asks, there are no drawbacks and you can make whatever character you want when you get that far.

To make sure you get all your in game items:

When registering your FF14 code (the one on the manual) on the SE account page, make sure you choose the option to add the service to your existing (from the beta) account. DO NOT START A NEW ACCOUNT.

This is completely unrelated to character creation, and occurs before it.

If you do it right, when you DO make a character, you'll be given the option to use your beta or FFXI name during the appropriate character creation step.

High five man. Going to install and try it now.

DrForesterDrForesterLtd.andDeep13inc.reservetherighttotakehighfivebackshouldyourinformationbeerroniousandidontgetmyitems

DrDogg

Rentahamster said:
You only get SP by healing others and recovering damage.

I guess that's okay. I was only using Cure on myself when I needed to be healed, but as long as curing others in a party provides SP I'm okay with that. Although, if you have a good tank or multiple healers for any reason, you'll be healing less and therefore get minimal SP... which is really lame.

tenderoni

Neo Member
pancakesandsex said:
Would all the Gridanians please meet me at the Adventurers Guild?

I can't because my game shuts down every time I try to open it... Trying to get some advice on what could be wrong, but no one ever helps.

tenderoni

Neo Member
tenderoni said:
I can't because my game shuts down every time I try to open it... Trying to get some advice on what could be wrong, but no one ever helps.

I downloaded the benchmark and it did the exact same thing the game does when I try to open it... Shuts down and says an error has occurred once I hit play. Can common sense fix that?

zlatko

Banned
So this is a hella smooth MMO launch if you ask me. 0 disconnects/crashes for me. No lag even though I'm on a 3 choco server. (Small hiccups in town when a lot of people are around, but whatever)

Having a blast like I was in beta once I figured everything out, but now there's no figuring out just play to my hearts content. :D

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
tenderoni said:
I downloaded the benchmark and it did the exact same thing the game does when I try to open it... Shuts down and says an error has occurred once I hit play. Can common sense fix that?

lol

If you are already using the latest drivers for your graphics card.

Uninstall your drivers and then download "Driver Sweeper" to remove all traces of your drivers. Restart, and reinstall your latest drivers. See if that works..

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Is there an "Official" Linkshell group yet?

Also, does anybody know that if I play with the trial for this week Ill be able to keep my characters later on when I buy the regular game (we just bought one CE copy for now, for my wife)

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Is there a way to run the client without the disc? My drive is acting a bit bad :| Might have to get a replacement.

Dineren

Banned
zlatko said:
So this is a hella smooth MMO launch if you ask me. 0 disconnects/crashes for me. No lag even though I'm on a 3 choco server. (Small hiccups in town when a lot of people are around, but whatever)

Having a blast like I was in beta once I figured everything out, but now there's no figuring out just play to my hearts content. :D
So far it's been pretty smooth for me as well. I have hit an annoying issue though where it will say an enemy I'm fighting is engaged to another target it while it continually hits me. If I spam attack it seems to fix itself eventually. Still, I've played a lot of MMOs at launch and I've had far fewer issues here than most others.

I will say I'm confused as hell, this seems to ignore most of the usual MMO interface conventions. I never played FFXI, probably would make more sense if I had.

Mims said:
Anyone in / near ul'dah that can pass out pearls yet?

Mos Eisley is in Ul.

Please check the spreadsheet in the OP to find out who you will want to /t for an invite. I have conveniently marked everyone with a pearlsack as SACKED

OK, not too familiar with this game. I am in game Ul'dah, if anyone is near with linkpearls etc. please message me game name "The Reckoning"(yeah I know)

zlatko

Banned
Dineren said:
So far it's been pretty smooth for me as well. I have hit an annoying issue though where it will say an enemy I'm fighting is engaged to another target it while it continually hits me. If I spam attack it seems to fix itself eventually. Still, I've played a lot of MMOs at launch and I've had far fewer issues here than most others.

I will say I'm confused as hell, this seems to ignore most of the usual MMO interface conventions. I never played FFXI, probably would make more sense if I had.

This game has a HUGE initial hurdle to tackle. A lot of Gaffers were saying all the "tutorial" stuff was going to be in the manual...well none of it is, and it's still not there in the game either. You'll have to ask around here and in game when you aren't sure of something.

I think a lot of Gaf people though had beta experience so that hurdle doesn't exist now, but yeah I would hate to be a person who just randomly picks this game up off the shelf from Gamestop without a clue other than "oh I love Final Fantasy 7...hope this one is awesome too."

Soroc

OK freaking out a bit :p

I registered the 16 digit code on the Final Fantasy XIII insert but I don't think I ever opted for item or PS3 beta.

Now I tried to register it again and it says that I've already registered it and I don't have any emails showing any other code.

I checked under my service status options and I see the onion helm but no armguards.

Is there anywhere on the stupid square site I can retrieve this special code for the armguards?

Soroc said:
OK freaking out a bit :p

I registered the 16 digit code on the Final Fantasy XIII insert but I don't think I ever opted for item or PS3 beta.

Now I tried to register it again and it says that I've already registered it and I don't have any emails showing any other code.

I checked under my service status options and I see the onion helm but no armguards.

Is there anywhere on the stupid square site I can retrieve this special code for the armguards?

Yes. Go to SE's member's site, click on Features, go to FFXIII, go to codes, details, then it should be right there.

They still can't make a streamlined website :/

Soroc

mcdomination said:
Yes. Go to SE's member's site, click on Features, go to FFXIII, go to codes, details, then it should be right there.

They still can't make a streamlined website :/

OMG!!

You sir are a Godsend! :lol THANK YOU!

I would have never fucking found that on my own!!!

JudgeN

So I finished Souls gone wild quest in Gridania and got about 11k reward instead of 32k. This is where the beta stop, please tell me there is another quest somewhere. Anyone know?

Very disappointed in the lack of a boob slider/extra character customization in general, lazy ass SE.

jiggle

:lol
best item reward i got from battle leve so far is 1 fire crystal

JudgeN said:
So I finished Souls gone wild quest in Gridania and got about 11k reward instead of 32k. This is where the beta stop, please tell me there is another quest somewhere. Anyone know?

u get them every 10 ranks
so not until rank 20-29?

Ganhyun

I've got a question.

I downloaded the benchmark test to get a feel to see if my laptop can run this.

I extracted the files, i start the program, it lets me pick a character model, i choose start, and then it errors out, with a DirectX error from my research. The program asks that directx9.0c i think be installed, but ive got 11.

I use a Windows Vista 32bit Home Premium system.

3 gigs of ram.

I can run everything else that requires directx fine. none of my steam games are affected.

I tried redownloading the program. Same thing. Any ideas?

I ask because while I suspect I need a new laptop for this game, my current laptop runs WoW fine and can run Civ5 according to the can you run it site. But I dont want to spend the money for this currently and it not work.

Edit: Nevermind, I did some digging and found that apparently SE basically said fuck it when it came to integrated graphics cards (yea I know, they suck but its all I could afford when I got this laptop a few years back) and doesnt support them at all. The funny thing is, I can run CIV 5 with my current laptop, granted not maxxed out, but still, its doable.

oh well, guess the next time I upgrade to a new laptop, or buy a ps3, whichever comes first, ill check this out.

JudgeN

jiggle said:
u get them every 10 ranks
so not until rank 20-29?

O My the only quests and you can only get them every 10 ranks? Jesus SE, who thought that was a good idea?

Can I do another city 10 below quest then?

jiggle

JudgeN said:
O My the only quests and you only get them every 10 ranks? Jesus SE, who thought that was a good idea?

the story missions yes

there are job quests that no one knows what rank you need to activate yet

Got sacks out to at least one character in each town so far, will get some more tomorrow. I'll be on earlier too. Done for the night though, rank 3 marauder. woo.

Jinko

jiggle said:
:lol
best item reward i got from battle leve so far is 1 fire crystal

You're not doing it right, go to Gridania pick up only the leves that have good rewards, (ie armour) complete them, go to Ul'dah and do the same , then go to Limsa and repeat.

You should get 4-5 pieces of armour in total.

TheFatOne

Jinko said:
You're not doing it right, go to Gridania pick up only the leves that have good rewards, (ie armour) complete them, go to Ul'dah and do the same , then go to Limsa and repeat.

I knew I was doing something wrong in the open beta. I had no idea you could do the leves for every city. Can't wait to play next week

jiggle

Jinko said:

yeah i've been doing that :lol

in uldha i had 3 all gils and 1 with fire crystal
in limsa i had 4 leves that were all gils XD

i still have 4 leves left to use in grid though, hopefully it has more stuffs...

hgplayer1

install is taking longer than i thought it would :(

havent run into any problems yet except my DVD drive wouldnt open lol

I probably wont bother anyone about a pearl tonight but I should be on early tomorrow evening.

zlatko

Banned
Finally got a game crash. I'm greeted by error code 3102 when I try to log back in. Seems they didn't get that ironed out from beta.

I tried using my one time password/security token thing to log in a few times now and it never works. SE I'm fully convinced is run by a nursery full of handicapable people. :D

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Was able to register my game okay... wow the CE packaging is so nice. The only thing I wish it had instead of the Making Of would be the OST.

Thrilltacular

Neo Member
Installed and made a character on Lindblum, Gabriel Folkvardr in Limsa Lominsa, so if I can find anyone tomorrow for a pearl, that would be pretty sweet. Also, any websites out there for beginners guides and how to travel to each of the three nations?

nataku

Kagari said:
Was able to register my game okay... wow the CE packaging is so nice. The only thing I wish it had instead of the Making Of would be the OST.
Yeah, no OST gets a big WTF from me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom