• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forbiden

NeoForte said:
Remember FF14 Live Show starting in less than an hour!

Oh shit, for some reason I was under the impression that it wasn't going to be for another like 12 hours, which kind of saddened me since that is the time that I have to be at work. Will stay up for this now, thanks!

Riposte

Chances of them acknowledging my level caps question... are low.

EDIT: This twitter account is letting me down. No idea what they are saying.

Mature

Letter from the Producer Live Part II is officially a success

RJCPj.png

Yoshi-P is so dreamy =)

jiggle

ooo
we're gonna get to ride flying ahriman/basillisk/goobue :O
must be the pet feature
didn't think of them being used in that way

edit: hope someone is screencapping all these captions and translating them

hgplayer1

" Q: We are dying to know which class gets which job... White mage and black mage, which is conjurer and which is thaumaturge?
A: Conjurer is the white mage and thaumaturge is the black mage."

kiryogi

Banned
Mature said:
Good stuff. I want to see those UI cards translated!

From what I caught. The T1, A1 etc refers to party roles. T = Tank, A = Attacker and so on. The FFIV above players name refers to Free Company and I think the dots are for inventory?

Allard

Heads up, it seems Yoshida snuck in a possible level cap change coming before 2.0. It seems that 1.21 'might' (they are still discussing it internally) have a change in level cap (The patch that introduces jobs), but if it does he doesn't want to make it too large because he wants the gaps in players to stay similar enough for players the want to return in 2.0.

Jinko

Some interesting stuff there, not sure I'm in favour of raising the level cap before the game is even ready though, what really is the point ?

There are definitely better mounts they could have used.

Moogle video looked awesome :D

LOL the lalafell looks like mario when he jumps.

OH FUCK NO.

Apparently, Yoshida is considering changing the application of Dragoon in this game. They were originally slated to be a "high damage critical class with Jumping skills", aka a real fucking Dragoon, but due to "overwhelming fan response" on the live letter (aka FFXI fans crying), they may change them back to a weak sauce pet class.

I'm not happy. I really hope they don't do that. :/

InfiniDragon said:
OH FUCK NO.

Apparently, Yoshida is considering changing the application of Dragoon in this game. They were originally slated to be a "high damage critical class with Jumping skills", aka a real fucking Dragoon, but due to "overwhelming fan response" on the live letter (aka FFXI fans crying), they may change them back to a weak sauce pet class.

I'm not happy. I really hope they don't do that. :/

Pet can go straight to hell. REAL Dragoons consist of the following:

1. A spear and armor.
2. Jumping high into the air.
3. Diving down from said jump and hitting people for a shitload of damage.

No goddamn pets.

Londa

Banned
I really don't see why jump is needed in this game. It also looks stupid. The mounts also look stupid and pointless.

Jinko

Rentahamster said:
Couldn't they allow for two separate builds? One specced for pet and the other specced for DPS?

This is what I was thinking, maybe when the pet is out your stength and attack (or damage maybe) would be split between you and your pet.

Personally I would rather not have a wyvern but if they are going to do it they should have 2 builds.

It's a little amuzing that last live letter there was loads of people asking for wyvern this week everyone is against them, this community is so fickle.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Jinko said:
This is what I was thinking, maybe when the pet is out your stength and attack (or damage maybe) would be split between you and your pet.

Something like that or have certain skills be accessible only when you are alone or something.

I'd like the customization be such that you could do: a solo build where you are very strong,

or a balanced build with DRG and pet sharing similar strength,

a pet tank build where you can have your pet tank while you DPS,

a pet DPS build where you can tank and your pet can DPS.

Jinko said:
It's a little amuzing that last live letter there was loads of people asking for wyvern this week everyone is against them, this community is so fickle.

It's just different vocal parts of the community speaking out.

Jinko

Watching that moogle video again, is it a bunch of moogles we have to fight ?? ... controling a garlean airship thingy .. haha that would be funny !

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Jinko said:
Watching that moogle video again, is it a bunch of moogles we have to fight ?? ... controling a garlean airship thingy .. haha that would be funny !

I think is the introduction movie of evil moogle figth

The whole purpose of pet classes in MMOGs is to facilitate soloing.

Nobody solos in FFXIV, all the content is group-oriented going forward.

What's the point of a pet class now?

lol51

Unknown Soldier said:

perhaps: large battles that require party members to have pet/choco/steed to even the odds

Gvaz

Banned
hgplayer1 said:
jump animation shown

I just started playing and holy shit GAME REDEEMED.
Londa said:
I really don't see why jump is needed in this game. It also looks stupid. The mounts also look stupid and pointless.
You look stupid and pointless. You shut your pie hole.

Unknown Soldier said:

I like soloing....then again I always play as mages in games.

Jinko

Unknown Soldier said:

Pet classes in WoW help increase DPS in parties Hunter/Warlock etc, depending on the spec.

NOooooooo !!! dont' poke it with a stick.

Gvaz

Banned
So far the major things I want from FF14 is a better UI (menus within menus? no thanks), jumping so I can explore the world how I want it without feeling overly restricted.

Another thing that bugs me is like "oh do you want to do this move aoe or single target?" which is nice, but I'd rather always have it do aoe unless I specify otherwise. Another thing is I have no mana regen in combat, and it's slow out of combat. Additionally, manually having to enter combat is stupid, and there's no option I can find that disallows self clicking on your character (argh that pisses me off when I go to click an npc and click myself instead) instead of on your "portrait" (hp bars).

There's way too many situations when I'm playing where I go "wouldn't this be easier if they simply did this instead of the obtuse way they have now? oh wait this is japan..."

Gvaz said:
So far the major things I want from FF14 is a better UI (menus within menus? no thanks), jumping so I can explore the world how I want it without feeling overly restricted.

Another thing that bugs me is like "oh do you want to do this move aoe or single target?" which is nice, but I'd rather always have it do aoe unless I specify otherwise. Another thing is I have no mana regen in combat, and it's slow out of combat. Additionally, manually having to enter combat is stupid, and there's no option I can find that disallows self clicking on your character (argh that pisses me off when I go to click an npc and click myself instead) instead of on your "portrait" (hp bars).

There's way too many situations when I'm playing where I go "wouldn't this be easier if they simply did this instead of the obtuse way they have now? oh wait this is japan..."

You would have committed suicide if you played this game at launch. Seriously. The UI we have now is a billion times better than what people suffered through at launch.

Allard

Jinko said:

A translation for the live event basically said that the fight would be a group fight. You don't fight one moogle but a team of moogles and each moogle will have a specific class to use. They intend to make this fight harder to get a clear pattern of winning and more on your feat strategic ability usage with party members.

Some thoughts:

Jumping: Meh. I'm not big on it, but I'm not opposed to it either. As I've mentioned before, if it's implemented in a contextual manner, that'd be best. Just some way to prevent mindless jump spamming, as that is a definite eyesore.

Magitek Mount: HELL. YES.
Other mounts: Meh. The Drake mount was pretty neat though.

LOLDRG: I'd MUCH rather have the classical jump-reliant high-output dragoons of old, rather than a pet class.

Jinko

Allard said:
A translation for the live event basically said that the fight would be a group fight. You don't fight one moogle but a team of moogles and each moogle will have a specific class to use. They intend to make this fight harder to get a clear pattern of winning and more on your feat strategic ability usage with party members.

Oh nice !

I look forward to that then, beats 6 lancers and 2 mages.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Gvaz said:

Please dont start :)

Jinko said:
Oh nice !

I look forward to that then, beats 6 lancers and 2 mages.

No, you are wrong, this time is 7 MRD (stormpath) 1 CON.

Desi

I just wished that jumping would have more start up, as if my character while running was actually making a leap forward. Contextual jumping? Get that shit out of here.

Gobbue Mount is pretty great.

Coming from a fan of XI and the Dragoon class I don't really mind the return of the pet. Truthfully I was ok with the way jumps were handled in FFXI especially since spike damage would easily get overran by simple DPS from a class like monk.

Jinko

Allard said:
Heads up, it seems Yoshida snuck in a possible level cap change coming before 2.0. It seems that 1.21 'might' (they are still discussing it internally) have a change in level cap (The patch that introduces jobs), but if it does he doesn't want to make it too large because he wants the gaps in players to stay similar enough for players the want to return in 2.0.

Seems that translation could be wrong ?

Rein translated it as saying
F: next is last question - before the 2.0 release is there plans to release cap
Y: at 1.21 there are no plans sicne we are including job but after that up till 2.0 release we will look into this carefully but generally up till 1.21 there is nothing.

Guess we'll have to wait for the offical video translation.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/...JP-to-English)?p=427830&viewfull=1#post427830

Londa

Banned
Gvaz said:
I just started playing and holy shit GAME REDEEMED.

I like soloing....then again I always play as mages in games.
And attacking people for expression their opinion is what smart people do now? Or I guess only people who think their smart but have the IQ of a flea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom