• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Just bought. We'll see how it goes. It's gotta be better then FFXI, which I thought was garbage. If you had to randomly throw out a guess, how many hours of play are we talking to get to your "high level"?

Welll, it was really fast these past 2 months. A guy joined our LS a month ago and got all his battle classes to 50 before this patch.

Now with patch 1.20 exp is significantly less fast due to weaker AOE spam.

Alphadragoon is in the night middle of ranking up his classes since he made a new char here, he'd be able to offer more insight than me.

What is with the install being so slow? Downloaded pretty quick for a 5 gig download, but it is taking forever to install and is raping my system resources. Weird. Almost done now though. I know just about zero about this game, so pretty intrigued to see it.

EDIT: Duh. Downloading updates now. Why the fuck does a digital download version require an update after insteall. 45 minutes supposedly. Hope this update isn't followed by another.

Allard

What is with the install being so slow? Downloaded pretty quick for a 5 gig download, but it is taking forever to install and is raping my system resources. Weird. Almost done now though. I know just about zero about this game, so pretty intrigued to see it.

Should be an interesting experience, you are entering during a time of great uncertainty as players still get used to the new action system, but because you are joining now, you won't be biased for or against the two systems; look forward to some impressions. Just remember that (unfortunately) the game is still a work in progress and most of the more 'technical' issues, even some that seem obviously messed up, won't be properly fixed till 2.0, but as they say if you are having fun, then that is all that matters.

I'm taking a bit of a break (Still going on the game every once and while) till minimum 1.21 hits which is supposed to be a fairly big content update, but most my friends are now going to wait till 2.0 :) Not because they can't find fun in what they have now, but they don't want to get burned out and start hating the game while waiting for 2.0.

Speaking of 2.0, I hope we get some more teases for it soon or early next year, be interested to see more concept work like their plans for some of the other regions. We are getting snowy regions, a proper forest, a swamp/lake area and more. I wonder what else do you guys think this game is missing aesthetically and if it can be implemented where do you think its going to show up?

I'm also leveling a new character post 1.20 (Remiel Cathetel, Elezen Lancer on Lindblum), and to me it seems like low level is FAR easier than it was in 1.19 unless you power leveled. Mobs respawn very quickly, give good EXP at your level (none of this fighting things 10 levels above like before), and can be soloed or duoed.

I'd say go for it if you're making a new class. And if anyone on here is on Lindblum around Lv. 22, send me a message in game and I'd be happy to group with you. I'm on usually after 10:30pm Mountain because that's when I get off work.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

EDIT: Duh. Downloading updates now. Why the fuck does a digital download version require an update after insteall. 45 minutes supposedly. Hope this update isn't followed by another.

See here if you need direct download of patches:

http://tehkrizz.net/FFXIV/downloads.php

From my new player guide here:

http://reddot.guildwork.com/forum/t/4edc9b2d205cb27a11009dac-new-player-guide-and-help

Jinko

Do it now before the pay period comes up 2 weeks from now.

I wonder when they plan to add linkshell management options, can't be long now lol

You have only but touched the tip of the proverbial iceberg of disappointment my friend, it does get better, either that or you just become immune to it, I can't decide.

Speaking of 2.0, I hope we get some more teases for it soon or early next year, be interested to see more concept work like their plans for some of the other regions. We are getting snowy regions, a proper forest, a swamp/lake area and more. I wonder what else do you guys think this game is missing aesthetically and if it can be implemented where do you think its going to show up?

Agreed I would love to see some stuff from 2.0, IMO this dev team don't release enough video stuff.

You know SE though they tend to keep things under their hat til last minute, I doubt we will see anything decent until E3.

What a pain in the ass to get in the game with the whole getting on the site and making a character or whatever. I don't even understand what I did. Can't believe I can't run at max settings either with sli 560tis, 8 gigs ram, and 2500k. Game looks great (for an MMO) though at the standard settings.

I've barely played it, but so far it is wayyyy better then FFXI. The fact I have a clue what I'm doing and what's going on puts it's way ahead. I'm feeling it so far. Running around as a Lancer. Hope that's a good choice. I don't have to keep clicking on guys to attack, so it's better then The Old Republic right off the bat. Not being able to assign keys is fucking annoying though. I don't give a shit that "J" is already assigned, I want it to open my journal.

The epic hours-long install and patch process of FFXI back in the day has been reduced in scale but it's still present in a fresh install of FFXIV. Squenix has no concept of rolling up patches so it sits there and sequentially downloads and applies every single patch since launch day one by one in mind-numbing succession.

I'll be logging in at some point to transfer Feyris's funds back to my main so I can delete her in anticipation of the beginning of subs. At that point she will be removed from the LS listing and free up a spot.

Teknoman

What a pain in the ass to get in the game with the whole getting on the site and making a character or whatever. I don't even understand what I did. Can't believe I can't run at max settings either with sli 560tis, 8 gigs ram, and 2500k. Game looks great (for an MMO) though at the standard settings.

I've barely played it, but so far it is wayyyy better then FFXI. The fact I have a clue what I'm doing and what's going on puts it's way ahead. I'm feeling it so far. Running around as a Lancer. Hope that's a good choice. I don't have to keep clicking on guys to attack, so it's better then The Old Republic right off the bat. Not being able to assign keys is fucking annoying though. I don't give a shit that "J" is already assigned, I want it to open my journal.

Certain settings you arent supposed to max. Turn off ambient occlusion (kills performance for now), and leave General Drawing Quality at standard.

You should be getting 60 no problem.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

you can assign keys. J is my journal button.

I think you can enable SLI if you use windower or something.

What's your name in game?

Teknoman

* The feature originally intended for patch 1.20 that enables purchases to be made directly from the item search interface was released on December 19, 2011. It is now possible to make purchases from market entrances and Grand Company headquarters. With the release of patch 1.20a, we plan to make direct purchases possible from anywhere within market dens, rows, and wards.

EDIT: Soon Dalamud is going to be as big as the moon. I wonder if they'll actually try to do something to coincide with the whole 2012 thing...

iK7u9rq99G7O1.jpg

Also finally i'm a "high level":

ibv5AckA29yOiu.jpg

Certain settings you arent supposed to max. Turn off ambient occlusion (kills performance for now), and leave General Drawing Quality at standard.

You should be getting 60 no problem.

Yeah, I have drawing quality at standard. Game looks great for sure. I need to turn off ambient occlusion though. Thanks.

you can assign keys. J is my journal button.

I think you can enable SLI if you use windower or something.

What's your name in game?

Yeah, the key assign is just a pain because you have to un-assign it before you can assign it again. So I said to find what was assigned to J, change it to something that's not in use, then go back and assign it to journal.

Sli is working fine for me without doing anything. The opening movie flickers like a mother fucker, but after that, it's all good.

In game name is Gabriel Achilles.

What is LS?

Going to see Shelock Holmes. Other wise I'd be sitting here all day playing. I guess that's a good sign that I really want to play it more.

Still haven't had a party at all. At least at the start, there are very few people around. And zero people talk or are looking to form parties. Is there a way to change servers or whatever? I chose one rated 2/3 for fear of lag and would like to jump into a 3/3 one to see if there are more people.

hgplayer1

Joined a PUG for the NMs last night. I gotta say it was pretty fun and even after an initial horrible wipe on the hog we nailed it the 2nd time and after that we rolled along until the big tree which killed me like 4 times in 1 fight lol.

Mature

Does anyone know if 2.0 is going to bring about changes to the armor/weapon designs? A lot of the armor looks the same to me.
I recall this problem being addressed in regards to what they plan to fix/change.

Oh hey, picture of all the exclusive gear sets for the jobs in the newest producer letter:
2205_0.jpg

Beastly...

Teknoman

I recall this problem being addressed in regards to what they plan to fix/change.

Oh hey, picture of all the exclusive gear sets for the jobs in the newest producer letter:
2205_0.jpg

Beastly...

I better not hear anyone complain about the Knight sword. Dragoon and Black mage look crazy awesome.

jiggle

whm got screwed
another reskinned robe
and not even a condom hat

is that brd male or female
i can't tell

look great overall though

monk looks the worst ;_;

...and war is not to nice either, imho.... looks like a mixture of styles.

The rest is wow.

PS: Munba when will you join us on Lindblum? =___(

N.A

Banned
Would anyone mind if I did a new OP?

I'd like to add all the new stuff, detail 2.0, detail pricing and help with the LS.

I think it'll be nice to have a new OP before billing starts.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis

I'd like to add all the new stuff, detail 2.0, detail pricing and help with the LS.

Renta making it would be the wise choice. Unless he comes and joins me instead :D...... :(

Buttons

I'd support a well-made new OP. With updated info and some good images and artwork maybe? :D

Also got my first Moogle win yesterday! It's a fun fight to heal. :D

lol51

I was reviewing file dumps from 1.20 and discovered some new item parameters:

Chance to restore HP - Morbid Mogblade, Mischievous Mogbow, Murderous Mogfists, Melancholy Mogfork, Malignant Mogaxe
Chance to restore MP - Malevolent Mogwand, Maleficent Mogstaff
Cannot equip gear to head slot - Gridanian Cowl, Seer's Cowl, Linen Cowl, Woolen Cowl
Cannot equip gear to hands, legs, and feet slots - Reindeer Suit
Chance to absorb HP - no items yet
Chance to absorb MP - no items yet
Chance to absorb TP - no items yet
Converts damage to MP - no items yet
Converts damage to TP - no items yet

i have updated the database to reflect these changes and I have put a feature in to search items with these criteria.

I also adjusted my procedures to prevent this oversight from occurring Next version updates.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

I'm actually in the process of making one. Just haven't finished it due to moogle and stuff.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Weird :D

Please don't say how annoying I am in the other LS, I'll never get in. :p

If you're in GAF, you get in. That's what you get for being in GAF. Just be nice, respectful, and courteous to your fellow players.

I've only had to kick out a few players so far, for the most part it's been pretty smooth.

Atronarch

Neo Member
I have been lurking these forums on and off since launch and with all the interesting changes as of late and hearing that the game is fairing much better than 6+ months ago I picked the game up on a whim. I've only just played a few hours but I am enjoying myself. I hope that with jumping in now I will allow myself to have a decent build of multiple classes to be able to jump onto new content as it comes out. I slipped in FFXI and was never able to catch back up. All the current and future changes have me pulling for the long haul.

Hopefully as room allows I can get a pearl to the LS. I go by Atronarch Wise on Lindblum, I'll apply on the Red Dot site as well. Also, hi! I plan on making myself a proper participant in the thread from now.

So. Still digging this game a lot. Restarted so I was on the same server as you guys. Did my first Behest, which I'm not sure the game even told me about those. Was just reading online what the fuck I should be doing at the start. That was my first experience partying up, and it was awesome. We slaughtered no problem, but it was still awesome.

How often do you get leve allowances? Finding different answers online, which I assume is from changes made in patches. One site told me you could only do 8 a week? Tell me that shit is incorrect.

My biggest question really is, exactly what should I be doing? So far I've just been running around killing shit, few leve quests, and now a behest. That about right? Nothing I'm missing?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
http://reddot.guildwork.com/forum/t...d-help?page=1&_=d78d#4ef248a7205cb227b4063c9e

You get 4 new leves in your allowance every 12 hours.

Just kill shit for now to get the hang of battle.

You can buy newb gear for cheap in the market wards. Just got to the battle, armor, or lower tailors ward. In the middle of the room, there are NPCs that sell rank 1 stuff.

You can try some low level sidequests to get gear:

http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Category:Sidequests

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/7722-List-of-All-Sidequests-(work-in-progress).

When you get to rank 15, do the call of booty quest. It'll take you to Shposhae, the lowbie dungeon. Good exp in there.

http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Call_of_Booty

Teknoman

So. Still digging this game a lot. Restarted so I was on the same server as you guys. Did my first Behest, which I'm not sure the game even told me about those. Was just reading online what the fuck I should be doing at the start. That was my first experience partying up, and it was awesome. We slaughtered no problem, but it was still awesome.

How often do you get leve allowances? Finding different answers online, which I assume is from changes made in patches. One site told me you could only do 8 a week? Tell me that shit is incorrect.

My biggest question really is, exactly what should I be doing? So far I've just been running around killing shit, few leve quests, and now a behest. That about right? Nothing I'm missing?

Alot of the info around the net is incorrect these days, especially with all the changes going around.

As things are now:

Do quests,leves,behests,exp parties, and soloing to level up. After that start doing Grand Company and Scenario quests to further the story and gain access to new stuff. Once you hit level 30 you'll probably start hitting the level 30 instance dungeon (there is also a fairly new low level dungeon in La Noscea) and so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom