• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Amazingly, I made it onto the GAF server.
Name is Six Tigers.
I'll have limited play time for the near future, though.

Maybe you guys shouldn't have said "HEY GUYS WE'RE GOING TO LINDBLUM" one hundred times in the public forum. :/

Then again, maybe you just shouldn't have picked a city you knew would be popular.

kiryogi said:
Nice! I guess I can still access Lindblum :D Yay for playing open beta. see you folks in a few. Actually, who's on right now in Limsa?

I'm at Limsa. Well the camp outside, actually. I just reached Gladiator rank 10, and I was going to do the level 10 leves.

Yuripaw

Banned
I'm probably gonna buy this game just to own it, since I've been such a long time FFXI person, I just don't know if I liked it much from the beta. I dunno what it is, maybe I'm just so stuck in my ways, and so used to world of Vana'diel that it's hard for me to ever shift over to another MMO. Pai Pai Master didn't help things either by always bringing up the negative aspects of the game for months leading up to it's release when we talked, yet now he's a big fan of it.

It is weird coming from me that I felt more intimidated by playing the beta of FFXIV, and seeing all the menus, and terms I didn't recognize. I felt totally confused at times about what to do and where to go, even though somethings were familiar from FFXI.

This is coming from a guy who's not only played FFXI almost 8 years now (on and off), but I also originally imported the Japanese version of FFXI prior to it's release in the US, and played it without knowing a single word of Japanese, and that game never felt intimidating to me.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
WTF? I don't have an Onion Helm. What, did they give it to my beta account that I was never able to use?
EDIT: This is just sad... I can't even figure out how to get out of the town they started me in.
EDIT: Seriously, WTH... Everything that looks like an exit on the map is an invisible barrier.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Okay, I'm on Lindblum. Darsh Schneider. Someone can get me a pearl tomorrow.

Can someone tell me the route to all the cities again? Also, it seems that rewards for leves were tweaked. Instead of armor, I saw an Ice Crystal and a skin. =x

TAJ said:
WTF? I don't have an Onion Helm. What, did they give it to my beta account that I was never able to use?
EDIT: This is just sad... I can't even figure out how to get out of the town they started me in.
EDIT: Seriously, WTH... Everything that looks like an exit on the map is an invisible barrier.
Talk to every npc you see, one will help you (it's a story thing). To get Onion Helm, register the code for it with your account, after that any new character you create will start with it in your inventory (but not equipped)

TAJ

Dreamwriter said:
Talk to every npc you see, one will help you (it's a story thing). To get Onion Helm, register the code for it with your account, after that any new character you create will start with it in your inventory (but not equipped)
I registered the code first. Like I said, I think it accidentally got tied to my beta serial.

If you enter the reward code before entering the ffxiv code, then yes it will get tied to your beta account. Then when you enter the ffxiv code, it asks if you want to merge ffxiv with the beta account - say yes to this and you will have your rewards in the full game. If you set it up as a new service instead, you are currently boned, but Square is working on a solution.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
TAJ said:
After registering my codes, the game now won't go past the SE logo. It shows the logo then goes to a black screen and stays there. Awesome.
EDIT: Now, it's still giving me black screens, but with a pop-up window that says, "Unable to detect DirectX device. The program has shut down. Please restart FFXIV.".

I don't want to start a PC vs. console debate, but this is why I tend to play console versions of games. I PERSONALLY have horrific luck with getting problem games to work. Anything that COULD go wrong tends to, and I get easily frustrated.

I will wait until March I guess..

Teknoman

14m3p7k.jpg

Alright, going to get a pearl sometime Thursday evening.

EDIT: I wonder if 4X AA would be worth it? Not sure if it'll be that different visually from 2x or if it'll cause a noticeable performance hit.

TAJ

Dreamwriter said:
If you enter the reward code before entering the ffxiv code, then yes it will get tied to your beta account. Then when you enter the ffxiv code, it asks if you want to merge ffxiv with the beta account - say yes to this and you will have your rewards in the full game. If you set it up as a new service instead, you are currently boned, but Square is working on a solution.
Yeah, I'm currently boned.

Teknoman

kiryogi said:
Lindblum is the official main GAF server. Nothing else. As crowded as it maybe. That's the majority census.

Most of the cities will probably be turned off here and there for a little while to even server pop, but the best thing to do is to just wait for the server you want (which should be Lindblum :lol ).

TAJ

It's fucking impossible to find something to kill.
EDIT: I finally found a less-crowded spot with mobs I can handle
EDIT: But the respawn times suck... nvm

valenti said:
What is the best method for traveling between the cities?

Right now the only way to travel is to run. :p Unless you have visited the camps and crystals in each city then you can just teleport there. You have to take a boat to get to Limsa though.

Come on guys, have a little patience. Don't start creating GAF LSes across multiple servers because you don't want to wait maybe a day max to start. You might be spending months or years on the server you pick now, do you want to be with GAF during that time or not? :lol

The official GAF server is Lindblum. Please stick to the fucking plan!

Feep

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
Come on guys, have a little patience. Don't start creating GAF LSes across multiple servers because you don't want to wait maybe a day max to start. You might be spending months or years on the server you pick now, do you want to be with GAF during that time or not? :lol

Quote for justice

kiryogi

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:

Amen and as of now it looks like the server is available anyway. Just be patient!

nickcv

are we making an official linkshell on Limbdum?
Who do i have to contact ingame to get in?
i just got my CE, and i think i'll log in on monday.

kiryogi

Banned
nickcv said:
thanks a lot Kiryogi :p i didn't notice the tab when i was checking the char list.

Is the guild hardcore or more casual friendly?

Seems like a mix. AT least myself I want to be causal due to work.

Shouta

Unknown Soldier said:

Quit your bellyaching.

Some folks choose to do a different server and it's perfectly fine if they want to start a group for GAF players on that server. This isn't some magical place where the only chat that belongs is the chat belongs to the same mass of folks, it's open to anyone that visits here and plays the game.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Shouta said:
Quit your bellyaching.

Some folks choose to do a different server and it's perfectly fine if they want to start a group for GAF players on that server. This isn't some magically place where the only chat that belongs in it is folks that belong to the same mass of folks, it's open to anyone that visits here and plays the game.

Count me in for GAF in Rabanastre :D

Shouta said:
Quit your bellyaching.

Some folks choose to do a different server and it's perfectly fine if they want to start a group for GAF players on that server. This isn't some magical place where the only chat that belongs is the chat belongs to the same mass of folks, it's open to anyone that visits here and plays the game.

How come you wont play with us :(

Kintaro, HG, I'll sack you later tonight hopefully with a bunch more people and we can teleport to a bunch of towns.

Also, no matter what server you're on, come join the steam community so we can shoot the shit outside of the game. If nobody in chat can send you an invite, I'll grab you when i get home, so just idle in there.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/starsofdestiny

jsrv

Can't get the game until later so I might just join Rabanastre because Lindblum is severely overpopulated

Maybe they'll open up new servers when the standard edition releases too

Londa

Banned
Shouta said:
Quit your bellyaching.

very much agree, I'm starting on a different server myself. So what if most are going to Lindblum. There is always a way to change servers. Its just not given to us yet.

kiryogi

Banned
pancakesandsex said:
How come you wont play with us :(

Kintaro, HG, I'll sack you later tonight hopefully with a bunch more people and we can teleport to a bunch of towns.

Also, no matter what server you're on, come join the steam community so we can shoot the shit outside of the game. If nobody in chat can send you an invite, I'll grab you when i get home, so just idle in there.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/starsofdestiny

When you gonna sack me!

asdad123

I hate to be a begger, but if anyone has a buddy pass, I'd love one :D

I want to see how it runs on my computer compared to the beta. No point in buying it if it runs like shit :/

Excko

Londa said:
Can anyone explain Crysta to me for NA?

I can't seem to find where to buy Crysta with a paypal account.

1. Log in to your SE Account

2. Add Crysta Link.

3. Select amount.

4. Choose Ultimate Pay

5. Checkout with Paypal

Hope this helps,

Salaadin

Im pretty pleased with the retail version so far. Sure it has its issues but Im not going to keeping hammering on about them.
I really expected server crashes and several GBs worth of updates yesterday. SO far, servers have been stable and the patch was quick and easy. There was a lot of lag last night but that will be ironed out. The game was still very much playable.

Amneisac

I'm just throwing this out there for people who are scared by all the bad things they heard about the beta (many of them coming from me):

I had genuine fun last night. Yeah, there's tons of stuff about this game that is broken and really annoying, like the whole account creation/billing/item code process, and the fact that there's a bug that causes enemies to say they're already claimed halfway through a fight, and so they kill you and you can't attack them, or that you can only do 8 leves every 36 hours, but at the same time there are some really good ideas about crafting and leveling and how your jobs can all interact.

I think the key to enjoying this game is being patient. SE clearly doesn't want anyone leveling too fast, with leve limits, timers and fatigue, they are committed to slowing your progress. Don't fight it! It's probably for the best anyways as I seriously doubt there's much to do when you hit level 50 right now, especially since you'll be in such a minority.

Start a combat class, a gathering class and a crafting class. Do a mixture of leves, just run around gathering for a while, or run around to each of the three starting cities and get teleport points. Experiment with the crafting system, it's actually pretty cool.

I played years of FFXI and while this is a different game, and only time will tell how things like party combat vs. solo play evolve, I think they have all the makings of what could be an equally good MMO in the long haul. It also constantly reminded me of a lot of the things I love about FFXI last night as I was exploring around.

I'll agree that the launch was by far the smoothest (knock of wood) of any MMO launch I've experienced. It's good that we dogged on the beta, I think without it we might still not have a hardware mouse! I think this game is at a point where it can be enjoyed, you just have to take your time and learn the mechanics.

Edited to add: This doesn't mean I'm letting them off the hook for stupid omissions like no AH, mail system or things like that. It makes no sense to me how you can make such a good crafting system and then have no auction house. It's like building a restaurant with an amazing kitchen but no seating area.

Salaadin

Has anyone dabbled in Armorer yet and have any suggestions for good low level starting recipes? Im going to start with that tonight by doing the leves for it but would like to get it a little higher in level.

I hardly crafted in beta so Im excited to start it tonight. I hear good things (especially with the gloves)

Londa said:
very much agree, I'm starting on a different server myself. So what if most are going to Lindblum. There is always a way to change servers. Its just not given to us yet.

Yea for $25 in XI, and I doubt they will be adding it to XIV in the first year at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom