• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
attachment.php

:0

Welp, time for me to post in that other thread now that I'm a furry.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=454843

(I dun wanna be attracted to that make it stop oh god)

Jinko

According to JP translation regarding moogle and ifrit tokens.

For these two drop rate we are looking into adjusting, but if we increase the drop rate there may be situation where some will say they can't obtain! so we are looking into making the drop rate 100% and lessening the amount you can obtain at once (per round)

Sounds good to me.

That mini Seventh Umbral Era event is shite btw not worth doing.

Allard

Looking at that pic and the way it was done, I wonder if we are in for a deluge of new info for 2.0 soon? Seems like the type of pic you would release as a set in a magazine like Famitsu, especially with it being captured in their same test render/art capture mode. I'm hoping for something by the end of the week leading into billing cycle starting, they need to get people 're-excited' about the future prospects now that billing is starting.

Munba

Hope to see some new maps in-game screens soon as well. To have an idea on details and atmosphere they are going to use in them.

Allard

Wow, the male Miqo'te turned out a lot better than I expected.

That's only the keepers of the sun Mi'Qote too, be interesting to see how the males look for the moon ones. Speaking of which now I really want to see what female Roegadyn look like from the other faction, the two Roe factions look fairly different from one another, and they definitely have wildly different speech patterns and cultures.

As for other news today, the reps on the Japanese side also gave an update on the status of the magitek armor mount and said when it comes out it will probably be a part of some high level battle content. Furthermore like the plans with chocobos, they are working on possibly customizing the armor but the capabilities will not deviate too much from the base form during customization.

Ravidrath

Does anyone have one of those buddy codes left over, BTW?

I've got an XI friend that is interested in checking the game out, and I already gave mine to someone else.

Male Miqo'te looks like a boss. I approve of that.

In other news, I also moved my other character from Trabia to Lindblum since I'm there to stay at this point. Male Midlander Hyur, name's Blake Farrence. Right now he's a lowbie MRD since I'm trying to keep focus on getting my first character to 50, but if any low levels from here see me in game feel free to say hi.

Ravidrath

I believe you get the cilent elsewhere. . . Easily enough, but the key you input on your SE account or his anyway.

I figured it out - just had to figure out how to navigate Square's awful account UI garbage.

And, yeah, I thought they'd provide the client download, but it appears that they just assume that your friends you invite are local, and they can borrow your discs? But he found a torrent.

Allard

The reps finally translated that huge post from Yoshida on his philosophy regarding magic cancellation upon movement. Like he says in the post a lot of this is fundamental 'obvious' stuff but he wants to get it off his chest so people know where he wants to take the fundamentals of the games combat.

Its a long post but if you don't feel like reading it.

1) He did not like the fact that most if not all mobs had range attacks and kite/range mechanics could not be implemented. Removal of range attacks in turn causes problems with balance if players can still move while casting a spell. The two changes (range removal from some monsters and cast interrupt) go in tandem to create more strategic options for mages while not wrecking game balance to skew completely to mages. He wants BLM to be a glass-cannon class once again where they fight from range, can't take damage very much and must learn enmity control to be a good fighter in parties. Solo will be range and Crowd Control oriented (BLM soloing in FFXI, fight from a distance and use CC to keep the mob from damaging you as long as you can, resists will be the balancing act against higher level mobs as well as MP pool).

2) Casting while moving is an enormous advantage in PvP, and he intends to make the combat possible to be balanced in PvP even if that isn't the main foundation of the game. He goes on to site examples on how he might balance a couple scenarios between a nuking caster and a melee class in PvP as well as how a mage might play in PvP and how other classes might look at a mage as an enemy.

3) More abilities and spells are going to be added in 2.0, including for existing classes; among which are Crowd Control spells. If you can cast crowd control spells while moving, especially heavy or sleep, mages get an enormous advantage in a wide sort of play styles from PvE to PvP and the only way to balance the game around movement while casting, is to make the spells useless when it counts most, which to him shows a problem with the games foundation at heart. He remarks that innovation or something 'new' is not a replacement for something that works. Get the foundations in place and then work on making it unique. As we go forward he intends to add other things to the combat to give the game its own unique flavor but the foundation was such a wreck he wants to take a slower and more turn based approach to start.

He also goes on to say that if he can do it, he intends to add a form of movement spell interruption before 2.0. He doesn't want the game to just become completely different when 2.0 happens, especially after players start to get used to an old style of play, he wants changes to be gradual but the stop while casting is a big change and he wants to get it in as soon as possible so it becomes a main stay function while going into to 2.0.

Basically MMO combat - 101 but it does give us a better idea on where the combat is eventually heading. Looks like a mix of modern contemporary MMO's with a bit of old school flavor with the defined roles and utilities (Glass cannon, actual enmity and crowd control etc).

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/...ing-at-a-point-in-time...?p=506046#post506046

I hope none of you are seriously thinking about changing to a catboy when 2.0 launches. That would be unforgivable!

If you currently have a catgirl, then you have no room to talk there bucko. XD

I'm kinda glad they're taking out casting while moving, after hearing the reasoning behind it. Kiting was some annoying shit in Aion PvP, and I really didn't want to deal with it in this game where targeting is somehow even worse.

Teknoman

Just wondering...whats with a few posters (Manafont in particular) at the official forums complaining that stats still dont work/scale properly? I think his (her?) main complaint was that numbers dont get bigger when you level up and are fighting an evenly matched enemy (which doesnt make any sense in the first place). If you're fighting something thats on your level, why would you be doing huge amounts of damage with every weapon skill?

If you currently have a catgirl, then you have no room to talk there bucko. XD

I don't think you quite understood the context of what I was saying. Think more carefully, and respond again.

I'm kinda glad they're taking out casting while moving, after hearing the reasoning behind it. Kiting was some annoying shit in Aion PvP, and I really didn't want to deal with it in this game where targeting is somehow even worse.

Aion PvP was a joke because of fundamental class design flaws and the worst netcode in MMOG history. It was literally impossible to hit anybody if you were a melee class and they were ranged, because you would literally appear to be INSIDE your opponent but all it would tell is that you were too far away to attack.

Aion's going F2P in Europe starting February, and probably in North America later this year. I still don't feel motivated to go back and see what's different.

Jinko

I don't think you quite understood the context of what I was saying. Think more carefully, and respond again.

Hmm re-reads, I still don't get what you are saying.

I'm on the fence about the moving to cast, I think its nice to have it just to cancel spells though, although it could be overkill if a spell is 100% interrupted when hit by an enemy.

As for the PVP stuff bleh .. PVP always destroys balance because people will always complain that one class is overpowered.

Riposte

That Monk move lol, awesome.

Anyway, I'll be buying a month or two in a few days, after I've finished playing with Shogun 2 for awhile. Hopefully it will still be possible to get parties then

Allard

Reps are translating some more previous stuff from the JP rep comments. This one should make a lot of people happier at the prospects of the Market Ward system for 2.0.

Figured I’d drop in to give some information about retainers that was being discussed on the Japanese forums. (I feel like all I do is necro-bump threads…)

"Before 2.0, can you make it possible for retainers to tell us the goods we sold and for how much when you speak to them?

After 2.0, it would be awesome if you could send sales information in real-time to email or something too.
Both of these suggestions will be addressed for 2.0."

In regards to the latter, it was shown in the 2.0 UI image, but we will be making a system so there is a retainer icon at the top of the screen which is displayed constantly, which will let you know when sale information has been delivered. Additionally, if you select the icon, you will be able to check this information as well.

So in 2.0 we won't be forced to go to our retainer to know if something sold, we will get a message at a special retainer icon on our UI in 2.0.

Teknoman

Wow that monk...hopefully they go all out mimicking various martial art styles. And at least one aura blast.

EDIT: Looks like a female hyur to me.

iJtEJUK4tvTPm.gif

i3cIs4MoJI8Tf.gif

So hey guys, after a year hiatus I want to get back into FFXIV and check out the changes. GAF still in Lindblum server? Who are some people I could contact for an LS pearl? Any room for 1 more?

Well, it looks like I was kicked off the server when Squenix decided they weren't going to wait for non-subscribing people to log off anymore.

So this is goodbye. Here's a last screenshot I was able to grab earlier in the day. Momo was AFK, so he's my unlucky partner in it.

k.jpg

Ravidrath

THE TRUE RED DOT STARTS HERE

So hey guys, after a year hiatus I want to get back into FFXIV and check out the changes. GAF still in Lindblum server? Who are some people I could contact for an LS pearl? Any room for 1 more?

We're still on Lindblum, and there should be room.

Contact Renta Hamster or Lily Vraminica in-game for a pearl.

Tobinishi

so bought it yesterday for 10 bucks and is it still free to play? if so i will give it a try, even though i´m not really a huge mmo player.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
I have a problem in payment method. I charged for 3.000 crysta (which is the 180 days period, discounted). But when i'm going to Reactivate it says i have to pay more..

..screen: http://www.otherworldonline.net/stuff/munba/ff14/payment.jpg

Why i have to pay ALSO for the first (included) character? <_< It not makes sense.

180 days subscription X Crysta.

And like XI you need to pay 3€/month for your char.

My payment.

Date: 01/06/2012
Service Account Name: FINAL FANTASY XIV
-------------------------------------------------------
Option: Mance Rayder Wutai
Service Fee: 1,800 Crysta
Basic Service: 4,194 Crysta
Bulk Service Discount: -1,200 Crysta

Total: 4,794 Crysta

Jinko

Lol well the billing has been a completely disaster looking at the forums.

Many people in Europe can't play because they can't buy Crysta, some people are having the wrong characters activated.

I'm just glad im not among those frustrated with this situation.

Ravidrath

It's always this strange mix of "This account system is too complex." and "I don't read."

The account system is absolutely completely fucking retarded - you shouldn't have to read detailed instructions to figure this shit out.

Any time you approach it, it's always "Now wait, what do I do here again?" because it's all really obtusely worded and organized.

For example, my friend who used Kiryougi's buddy pass couldn't figure out where to input it because it's under "Service Options" or something you would never call that.

Why isn't there a "BUDDY PASS PEOPLE GO HERE" button, and a "FIRST TIME SUBSCRIBERS GO HERE" button?

I feel like this is a standard system for Japanese people, and that they just need to do a complete overhaul of it for other countries.

lol51

It's always this strange mix of "This account system is too complex." and "I don't read."

Can't blame anyone for this account system but SE.

Initial 6.99 cost should include 1 character. What else are you paying for? Any additional character should be +3.00..

Ravidrath

Can't blame anyone for this account system but SE.

Initial 6.99 cost should include 1 character. What else are you paying for? Any additional character should be +3.00..

Yeah, this is part of it... I'm OK paying $10, but it's ridiculous that you can pay for service without a character to actually access it.

It's like when Japanese consoles used to not include a power cable in the box, and you had to buy it separately.

Jinko

Yea it seems to be a Japanese thing that things are never simple and straight forward.

Yoshi-p always goes on about building trust with the fans but they've had since Sept to get this billing stuff sorted and still some of EU can't buy crysta via paypal/CC or register thie CC with click and buy. (it doesn't instill me with much enthusiasm at all)

Beyo posted about future changes regarding direct Credit Card payments or something but said that it won't be in place til after billing started which is just stupid, it seems the the right hand still doesn't know the left hand exists.

Edit:- According to Reinheart the JP side have direct credit card to SE already, at least SE know which side their bread is butters /sarcasm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom