• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess working with JP billing systems for the past decade have desensitized to them.
I didn't have any problem signing up and understanding the billing structure.

Allard

Wait so if you pay the $29.99 for 180 days (6 months), the first character is not included?

Unfortunately that is the case. You still need to pay 3 dollars extra a month, there is no pay all 6 months in one go option. Hopefully enough people complain about it so at minimum it becomes all one package. I know you can use crysta to do the same thing but its cumbersome for the sake of it. The real price tag for 6 months is $60.

Akala

popped in to break pearl yesterday because I don't think I'll be playing, but who knows. wanted to give a bit more room.

was fun! I'll probably be on at some point.

(Kitty Glitter)

Ravidrath

Surprised that there isn't some big update today on the official site today...

If they want people to pay to play now, they need to give them something to look forward to, and I would argue that today is the single most important day for them to do that. Last Thursday also would have been a good contender.

Doing community and promotional stuff for Skullgirls, I probably understand better than anyone on here that development rarely lines up with promotional needs, but I think it would've been worth delaying the payment thing another week if it allowed them to coordinate it with a shock-and-awe kind of "here's why you should stay" campaign.

If I was running it, I would've done an update every day of the last week to really drive that home: show the new dungeons, new monsters, etc.

Teknoman

Surprised that there isn't some big update today on the official site today...

If they want people to pay to play now, they need to give them something to look forward to, and I would argue that today is the single most important day for them to do that. Last Thursday also would have been a good contender.

Doing community and promotional stuff for Skullgirls, I probably understand better than anyone on here that development rarely lines up with promotional needs, but I think it would've been worth delaying the payment thing another week if it allowed them to coordinate it with a shock-and-awe kind of "here's why you should stay" campaign.

If I was running it, I would've done an update every day of the last week to really drive that home: show the new dungeons, new monsters, etc.

Agreed, at least looking at it from a business point of view. It would also give those not paying a glimpse of what to expect in the future, and whether or not they should keep at least a small amount of interest in the coming months.

Ravidrath

Agreed, at least looking at it from a business point of view. It would also give those not paying a glimpse of what to expect in the future, and whether or not they should keep at least a small amount of interest in the coming months.

Haha, hi Teknoman...! Real Pic January threw me at first.

Also, it would be good if they could give us an idea of what the pre-apocalypse-exclusive goodies will be moving forward.

I don't know that Squenix cares all that much how many stay at this point. If you had 10,000 players before and now you have 5,000 it's not exactly a big difference either way. The big push will occur when 2.0 launches.

Munba

Seeing the japanese players base, it's 10.000 now from 12.000 before the january 6th. Not a big loss after all.

Zabian

Neo Member
I wanted to say I had some fun with this game despite all the flaws in the beginning thanks to GAF crew in the original Stars of Destiny Linkshell we had goin' on. I registered for GAF to be able to join in on this type of fun :)

I kept on meaning to come back to this at some point before the billing period began, but I didn't. I know Renta saw me jump on for a minute just to see what had changed but it was kinda overwhelming (replace all your gear, relearn the UI, relearn how to play Archer, etc.), and there are so many other shiny things (other games in my "backlog") that I never got around to it.

Thanks to the ultra confusing billing I have 1 month of Crysta stored up accidentally though so I'll come back sometime. Thing look to be getting more and more polished and jobs being added is something I very much like the sound of.

Hey at least I was a helluva botanist before I disappeared. And damn you SE I wanted to like grow plants to kill enemies at some point… >.>

scotcheggz

Back from a short vacation.

Can't log on because I didn't set up my payment stuff yet lol.

Payment is an absolute nightmare lol. I think every log on in my LS was followed by people asking what the hell is up with it haha.

Finished off Conjurer and got my crown tonight! Feels good to be the king!

JoRKg.jpg

Now to grind for the sash...

Riposte

Someone break this down for me:

If I wanted to play a month every few months, what would be the cheapest way to go about that? It seems like you get big discounts for buying a larger subscription altogether.

Muddimar

I really have a huge urge to play an MMO. The new star wars mmo really doesn't appeal to my tastes (star wars isn't my "thing"). I played Aion for a while when it first released and almost hit the level cap; but grew extremely bored with the lack of content in the game. WoW really doesn't appeal to me anymore either. I heard FFXIV is a huge mess, but I heard some improvements were being made. I wanted to ask the people who are currently playing to get an actual player's input, instead of referring to a bunch of outdated reviews online. Should I play FFXIV? Is it worth giving it a shot?

Allard

I really have a huge urge to play an MMO. The new star wars mmo really doesn't appeal to my tastes (star wars isn't my "thing"). I played Aion for a while when it first released and almost hit the level cap; but grew extremely bored with the lack of content in the game. WoW really doesn't appeal to me anymore either. I heard FFXIV is a huge mess, but I heard some improvements were being made. I wanted to ask the people who are currently playing to get an actual player's input, instead of referring to a bunch of outdated reviews online. Should I play FFXIV? Is it worth giving it a shot?

For a new player it is much better then it once was, there is plenty to do, especially since you can play any class on a single character. However content at end game is still very much an issue. My input is that it is enjoyable experience for the first 2 months of your gaming (right now) but drifts off with a lack of focus. Next update we are getting 'some' focus for long time players in the form of jobs and their accompanying content, hamlet defense and 2 new raids.

In my honest opinion some fun can be had with the current game and I certainly wouldn't tell people not to come join me in game, but personally I would wait till it gets a bit closer to 2.0. Right now the content is focused on small but necessary overhauls in preparation for 2.0. The content is all unique and won't be around for 2.0 but the content that is here now, isn't something to write home about. Its nice filler content while we wait another 8+ months for the games overhauls to finally get complete and they move the game over to the new client and world. In 2.0 we get a completely (utterly) overhauled zone structure, newly made server architecture, completely new UI designed around Keyboard and Mouse (and overhauled gamepad UI designed separately) and to top it all off supposedly a more scalable and efficient graphics engine that is actually specifically designed for the game unlike its current graphics engine.

Muddimar

For a new player it is much better then it once was, there is plenty to do, especially since you can play any class on a single character. However content at end game is still very much an issue. My input is that it is enjoyable experience for the first 2 months of your gaming (right now) but drifts off with a lack of focus. Next update we are getting 'some' focus for long time players in the form of jobs and their accompanying content, hamlet defense and 2 new raids.

In my honest opinion some fun can be had with the current game and I certainly wouldn't tell people not to come join me in game, but personally I would wait till it gets a bit closer to 2.0. Right now the content is focused on small but necessary overhauls in preparation for 2.0. The content is all unique and won't be around for 2.0 but the content that is here now, isn't something to write home about. Its nice filler content while we wait another 8+ months for the games overhauls to finally get complete and they move the game over to the new client and world. In 2.0 we get a completely (utterly) overhauled zone structure, newly made server architecture, completely new UI designed around Keyboard and Mouse (and overhauled gamepad UI designed separately) and to top it all off supposedly a more scalable and efficient graphics engine that is actually specifically designed for the game unlike its current graphics engine.

Thank you for the input, I really appreciate it. It looks like I might wait til this 2.0 patch arrives before I dive in; it sounds pretty neat. Looks like I'll stick to non-mmo games for the meantime :(

Allard

Well this should make some people happy.

Bonjour ici !

Après confirmation auprès de Naoki Yoshida, certains serveurs seront ouverts avec la sortie de la version 2.0 et il y sera uniquement possible de commencer avec un nouveau personnage. (Les nouveaux joueurs pourront donc choisir de démarrer tous sur un pied d'égalité s'ils le souhaitent ou alors de rejoindre un ancien serveur).

Afin d'éviter une certaine inflation il est aussi prévu que les futurs quartiers marchands ponctionnent les bourses de certains joueurs. Il en est de même pour certains contenus haut niveau. (Cela ne veut pas dire que ces contenus ou que les quartiers marchands ne seront uniquement accessibles qu’aux personnes fortunés !)

Encore une fois tout cela est encore en développement, il m'est donc impossible de fournir plus de détails.

Rough Translation:

Hello,
Confirmed by Yoshi-P, certain servers will be opened with the release of version 2.0 which will be only available for new players (the new players will be able to choose to be on equal footing if they wish, or may join an older server).

Something about preventing inflation will cause some aspect of the Market wards to cost more, as well as new content. (this isn't to say that the content and market wards will only be accessible to the rich)

All this is still in development, so its impossible to have the full details.

I am honestly contemplating starting on one of these fresh servers if most of my friends end up wanting to do it, if nothing else I might do it on an alt just to mix it up and see how it goes.

Jinko

I would say no, wait for GW2 IMO lol.

If you missed the Tera thread, they are accepting beta invites for anyone interested.

Europe

US

Muddimar

I would say no, wait for GW2 IMO lol.

If you missed the Tera thread, they are accepting beta invites for anyone interested.

Europe

US

Yeah.. I'm trying to hold out for GW2. Thanks for the tera beta link. I swear to god I was searching all over the place yesterday for news on the beta testing for tera, with no success. I thought that if I signed up for their newsletter they would send me something...nope. Anyway, thanks!

Darte

Simple Answer: Good but not up to snuff yet.

Longer Answer:
If you're starting from scratch, you won't get a lot of hand holding along the way. A lot of the tutorials are slated for 2.0. They've changed a few things but I haven't played from scratch since launch so I don't know anything about that.

From zero, you'll have at least 1~3 months of grinding to max level, in between grinding content and other miscellaneous things to do for a single class (though you're likely to level multiple classes just for the skills). Grinding is not as bad as it used to be as there are exp chains and bonuses for linking enemies in parties.

The UI is better than it was at launch, but it does not have the snappiness of modern gen MMOs. This won't be fixed until 2.0.

Crafting may not be your cup of tea as it involves a mini game that encourages spamming enter from 1-50. Reforms are planned to simplify crafting mechanics, though not much detail is given as to how. In the mean time, recipes have been incredibly simplified.

As a rough example of how it was before: To create a hooded body piece, you would have needed hooded body back piece, front piece, the hood and the sleeves for the hooded body. Each part may have required 2-3 synths to make, which means it would have taken as much as 10 part synths for a single item synth. Dying made it worse as you would have to dye each individual part before you could make the final piece. Some synths didn't make sense at all. Example: A level 10 synth would require a drop from a level 30 monster. Some synths required very obscure parts that was only used in that particular synth itself, and as such demand for that part was not great at all, meaning that part in itself was rare.

Now however, to make the same body piece, you would need 2-3 cloths and maybe some leather pieces that are easily obtainable through the market wards.

Combat mechanics were overhauled recently. Whatever Tanaka had in mind at launch is out the window as classes were given specific identities (EG: Conjurer given access to most healing spells making them a main healer of sorts, while Thaumaturge has been given access to powerful nukes). The battle regimen system has been disabled while they rework it from the ground up (thank goodness), and in place a combo system has been implemented where if you use certain weaponskills/spells from a certain direction, you can combo with other weaponskills/spells for additional effects. Note the combo system is individual only, unlike the FFXI skill chain system, you can only combo with yourself. So combos from other players won't interfere with your own combos.

In terms of content: Currently, there are 2 raids (one level25~30 and one end game (45~50), but you'll have a hard time finding groups to do either one without a linkshell. There is also an Ifrit battle and a moogle battles to do, and shouts for those fights are plentiful. In 2.0, they will be introducing content finder which is a system that allows folks from all servers to seek for an instanced content (like raids or ifrit etc). Until then, you are limited to what players you can find on your own server. They also introduced an achievement system recently if you consider that content.

There are exclusive events going on leading up to the changes to 2.0 going on at the moment, but they may not interest you unless you are a lore fanatic like I am. The current event has a teleporting crystal spawning in the 3 main cities that transport you to locked areas in game you can't access otherwise where you fight some sort of cult who believe in the coming of Dalamud the moon. AKA:
Meteor

Next patch we're getting jobs for each of the 7 classes.
Archer > Bard
Gladiator > Paladin
Marauder > Warrior
Conjurer > White mage
Thaumaturge > Black mage
Pugilist > Monk
Lancer > Dragoon

It is not known how they will affect gameplay, but these jobs will not level up in the same sense classes do. The only way to "Level up" these jobs will be to do quests every 5 levels starting from level 30 in order to unlock the job itself and earn new abilities and traits.

Riposte

The main reason to play right now and not 2.0 is to check out content that will be lost forever to the update-centric nature of MMOs.

I might wait until the next update to resub. I was hoping to play a month or so every few months. My ultimate goal in the game to complete all the quests and stuff like endgame content. (Holidays too I guess)

Allard

The main reason to play right now and not 2.0 is to check out content that will be lost forever to the update-centric nature of MMOs.

I might wait until the next update to resub. I was hoping to play a month or so every few months. My ultimate goal in the game to complete all the quests and stuff like endgame content. (Holidays too I guess)

I am re-subbing next update as well, I got plenty of other things to tide me over. Going to finish getting lvl 50 on a SWTOR character (then quitting... that is unless they can give me a better idea where they plan to take the damn game, still don't know why they are being so secretive.), see if I can't get into Tera Beta, and if not that I can go back and play FFXI for a bit. Still got two accounts up and running >.>

Allard

If anyone like me never seen the jumping part they showed some time ago I found a video showing it here.

http://youtu.be/7-TMlzgZ528?hd=1&t=33s

Really made me want to come back! Damn you!

That actually brings up something else I'm looking forward to with the new zones. They aren't just getting redesigned themes, they are being designed around the concept of Jump being implemented. The zone redesign and jump alone is going to make it feel like a completely new game lol.

Ravidrath

Anyone concerned that 2.0 will be... depressing?

As boring as the environments are now, they are vibrant and gorgeous. I'd hate to see the world get all ruined and dark all the time.

I also hope they don't do things like with past Windurst in WotG where things are destroyed and it's baked into the models and, thus, permanent and awkward.

Allard

Anyone concerned that 2.0 will be... depressing?

As boring as the environments are now, they are vibrant and gorgeous. I'd hate to see the world get all ruined and dark all the time.

I also hope they don't do things like with past Windurst in WotG where things are destroyed and it's baked into the models and, thus, permanent and awkward.

From what little we have seen of some concept work for 2.0, it seems like the game world will be even more vibrant then it was before. I know bringing this up can cause the hornets nest to stir but I think we are in for WoW Cataclysm but instead of the world being laid to ruins and we rebuild from the aftermath, it seems like just about everyone is going to come out ahead. I don't see any charred remains, more establishments get settled in outside the city, new natural wonders are showing up, and the Empire has encampments in various corners of the world, and ancient civilizations/ruins are getting unearthed. Since there was so few things out in the world, there won't be too many things you need worry about getting destroyed. Their are two places that might have the 'charred' syndrome that we need to worry about and that is how the cities look after 2.0 and how many Aether Camps are still around.

Furthermore there is one extra detail in the world that hasn't been there since the game started. Non-instance player housing is going to make the outside world come to life far more then many could ever hope and make the world feel like its bustling with life.

A question regarding classes/jobs in 2.0. Will everything reset? I don't want to start everything from scratch if I go back now and start leveling other jobs.

Allard

A question regarding classes/jobs in 2.0. Will everything reset? I don't want to start everything from scratch if I go back now and start leveling other jobs.

Nothing will reset. The only thing they confirmed 'could' get reset is progress on unfinished quests or quest chains due to the change over to the new server architecture and world. All class, items, fame, quest completions, currency will carry over to 2.0. They even just posted a notice that they are planning currency deflation measures into the new market ward system and other features to try and extract gil out of the game to be more balanced for older servers without actually taking away the gil from the game.

Nothing will reset. The only thing they confirmed 'could' get reset is progress on unfinished quests or quest chains due to the change over to the new server architecture and world. All class, items, fame, quest completions, currency will carry over to 2.0. They even just posted a notice that they are planning currency deflation measures into the new market ward system and other features to try and extract gil out of the game to be more balanced for older servers without actually taking away the gil from the game.

That sounds good, thanks!

Jinko

The map changes don't make any sense, If a meteor falls and destroys shit it doesn't move stuff about, it makes a big hole.

I'm just guna pretend I'm playing a new game.

Ravidrath

Well, I don't think the moon will actually hit Eorzea... it could land somewhere else, or a near-miss could trigger the unearthing of the strata from previous eras, etc.

I'm guessing there will be some time passing between the event and 2.0, as well... Pre-2.0 is probably just us being Echo'ed in our characters' own lives.

mileS

It was fun while it lasted people. Going through some old screens that I thought I should post. Excuse the crappy quality.

FFXIV_1286685811.jpg

FFXIV_1287010761.jpg

FFXIV_1286617792.jpg

FFXIV_1286771620.jpg

:D

Riposte

The fact a Final Fantasy world, especially which might be my favorite one, will be going through a permanent change (rather than being its own thing, like FFXIII vs FFXIII-2) does bum me out a little. If my companion dies or become irrelevant I'll be even more bummed out lol. (This is one of the reasons I hate MMOs, especially when you apply it to challenges and stuff. My favorite boss fights in the series can't be played anymore without it being a joke. CoP.) The fact the game's original vision(including combat system, storyline, etc) was born stillborn is sad, but I've gotten over that at least.

It has only occurred to me recently that 2.0 could end up suffering from the problems every launch MMO does and basically not be ready at launch. When thinking about it as an update, you'd expect that they'd just build on a solid foundation and thus be easily achieved, but since this is such a huge change it is practically a new game.

These concerns mostly come from the fact we haven't seen not a single in-game screenshot of one of these super-high fantasy areas.

EDIT: There is no way I'm dedicated enough, but I'd love if there was an archive effort to preserve dialogue, quests, and even the areas(even though there is a lot of copypasta in them). If nothing else SE should release a bunch of before and after pics.

Dega looks like he's about to make out with Rat in the second pic.

EDIT: I think I've spent more time in game not playing the game than actually playing it =P

treiedl95.jpg

Teknoman

Popping back in to say im still around, but just been swamped with RL things/trying to kill a few backlog titles.

The map changes don't make any sense, If a meteor falls and destroys shit it doesn't move stuff about, it makes a big hole.

I'm just guna pretend I'm playing a new game.

Its probably not an actual meteor/moon since it had to be activated. Think FFIV artificial red moon.

It's a magic intelligent meteor.

Exactly. Its probably made out of aetheryte plus some magitek stuff or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom