• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Munba

I love they are making new tracks for every element they add. So really everything has its specific theme and "personality".

Ravidrath

Can't wait!

Edit: Been reading the official forums and shit do people hate changes, it's like telling a hardcore RE fan that moving while aiming would be good for the game.

It's somehow even more ridiculous than that example, even.

Resident Evil sells millions of copies. At this point, those people would probably like control improvements like that, but I don't think the controls are keeping that game from being a success.

On the other hand, FFXIV is a failed game. It needs drastic changes in order to attract more people to play it and get the existing people to stay around, and these insane forum people are apparently willing to try and block that.

Riposte

Can't wait!

Edit: Been reading the official forums and shit do people hate changes, it's like telling a hardcore RE fan that moving while aiming would be good for the game.

That ultimately comes down to how they design the game. In many shooters where you fight enemies without projectiles you can easily outrun them. Moving while shooting is definitely necessary when you are fighting enemies who can shoot back, but can actually make the game too easy and dull unless they make everything charge you.

I think if they handle jumps like FFXIII-2 there wouldn't be much of a problem. People don't like seeing other players just jump their way through zones because it looks dumb, but the jumps in that game don't accelerate you forward at all.

EDIT: One thing I really don't like about jump is that I see it as mostly useless (let's be real here, MMORPGs don't need jumps), but it still needs to take up a spot on the PS3 controller which is already going to be struggling to keep up with a keyboard (I know this because I play the game with a PS3 controller). Given that it is a jump, it's probably even going to take a face button.

Do I sound like the crazzyyyyyyyyy fanboy?

Ravidrath

I think jumping is fine as long as it has a clear purpose.

I'm pretty OK with using it to navigate the environments as long as it isn't overused, but I'm much less interested in requiring some kind of coordinated jumping in boss fights.

I'm pretty OK with using it to navigate the environments as long as it isn't overused, but I'm much less interested in requiring some kind of coordinated jumping in boss fights.

Titan primal battle: Jump to avoid damage from the earthquake!

Jinko

I'm happy with any form of jumping, people bunny hopping around town never bothered me, that being said I would be as happy if they didn't add jump, you make a good point about taking up another button on the controller, push 2 buttons to jump ? (only joking)

Titan primal battle: Jump to avoid damage from the earthquake!

This is quite common in WoW, so I expect that to happy at some point.

Teknoman

As long as they use it to create vertical oriented dungeons involving towers, im good. Then again...XIII-2's jump (in the demo anyway) doesnt seem to serve any purpose.

That ultimately comes down to how they design the game. In many shooters where you fight enemies without projectiles you can easily outrun them. Moving while shooting is definitely necessary when you are fighting enemies who can shoot back, but can actually make the game too easy and dull unless they make everything charge you.

I think if they handle jumps like FFXIII-2 there wouldn't be much of a problem. People don't like seeing other players just jump their way through zones because it looks dumb, but the jumps in that game don't accelerate you forward at all.

EDIT: One thing I really don't like about jump is that I see it as mostly useless (let's be real here, MMORPGs don't need jumps), but it still needs to take up a spot on the PS3 controller which is already going to be struggling to keep up with a keyboard (I know this because I play the game with a PS3 controller). Given that it is a jump, it's probably even going to take a face button.

Do I sound like the crazzyyyyyyyyy fanboy?

The solution here is to not use a PS3 controller for an MMOG. I'm just saying.

Ravidrath

For the others of you running on Mac...

The new Parallels update seems to have made it so XIV can run under it.

I didn't really "test" it since I was rendering videos at the time, but I think it will run well when I stop doing intensive stuff on my Mac side.

Riposte

The solution here is to not use a PS3 controller for an MMOG. I'm just saying.

If macros mattered maybe.

Also given how action mechanics is probably going to be the big new thing after WoW clones, I could see a lot of controller preference and "consolization" in the future of MMORPGs.

Agreed. I think the world needs to require jumps before people clamor for it.

Margalis

Banned
If nothing else jumping is a way to navigate terrain a little more efficiently. (For example not getting stuck on a tiny protrusion)

Including jumping will probably also force them to change the game engine in subtle ways that make it feel better. Both FFXI and FFXIV somewhat suffer from the fact that the maps are fairly 3-dimensional but the characters feel very stuck to the ground.

If nothing else jumping is a way to navigate terrain a little more efficiently. (For example not getting stuck on a tiny protrusion)

Including jumping will probably also force them to change the game engine in subtle ways that make it feel better. Both FFXI and FFXIV somewhat suffer from the fact that the maps are fairly 3-dimensional but the characters feel very stuck to the ground.

Thank you. There have been loads of times in both FFXI and XIV where I wished I could jump. The game right now might not be designed with jump in mind but I sure wish I had it at times anyway. I used it in SW:TOR a lot even though I didn't have to, I could have taken those stairs but where's the fun in that? :p

You can do a lot with jump, like evade attacks at the right moment, get to places you need to jump to but it can also be useful sometimes even if it's not really "needed". IMO.

When 2.0 comes I think they should let us who will be there at the apocalypse get exclusive customization features for the character so that we can show off that we survived the apocalypse. Like cool scars and beards. :p

Jinko

That's not a solution at all since FFXIV will be on PS3.

And screw keyboard/mouse for this game, anyway. Controller all day. Keyboard can type my messages while I chill in comfort with my wireless 360 controller. XD

It may be on PS3 but fact is MMO's aren't really suited to consoles, keyboard and mouse will always be superior especially if the UI is designed with them in mind.

Just look at PSO2 and how good that UI is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8J4SUCKeHI

Like cool scars and beards. :p

I survived the apocalypse, I've got the beard to prove it ?

Wtf?! I try to log in and I get this!

Your Square Enix account was terminated due user agreement violation, compromised account or other annonymous reason.
If you have any questions, please contact the SQUARE ENIX Support Center.

S-E support.

SEE Agent Michael: It would appear that there has been a payment issue on your account.
SEE Agent Michael: and your account has been blocked for charge back
You: I was thinking that myself so I checked my account and click and buy had drawn the money from my account
SEE Agent Michael: Was the money later returned to your account?
You: No
SEE Agent Michael: Was this with ClickandBuy?
You: I used ClickandBuy to pay the subscription yes
SEE Agent Michael: Unfortunately you will need to contact them to resolve the issue.
You: And what about my account? Will it be reactivated so I can at least log in to my Square Enix account?
SEE Agent Michael: The account can only be reactivated after you have resolved any issues with ClickandBuy and it may take 5 working days
SEE Agent Michael: Is there anything else I can help you with today?
You: What if I can log in and pay with Crystas?
SEE Agent Michael: Unfortunately that is not possible until after the issue with ClickandBuy has been resolved
You: Well I guess I have to contact them then, but what if they send me back here?
SEE Agent Michael: Well they will tell you what the issue is
You: Ok.
SEE Agent Michael: Thank you for visiting our SQUARE ENIX Support Chat line. Take care and have a good day!
You: Thanks
SEE Agent Michael: No problem
SEE Agent Michael has disconnected.

I have contacted ClickandBuy, let's see how this goes. Says my card was declined there but they still took the money from my account.

Lmao they blocked your SE account completely, SE really dont' have a frikkin clue do they.

After the Chargeback-apalooza that was PlayOnline pre-3D Secure, they aren't playing around.
SE got fined to kingdom come by the credit systems.

Still, there are much more painless ways to get money than Click and Buy.
Mods keep saying they are "other" payment systems coming down the line, but you'd think that'd be in place before starting the billing cycle.
/meh

Well the clickandbuy payment seems to have been resolved pretty fast after my angry mail to them telling them I would always recommend people to use other payment methods and not clickandbuy. Now it can take up to 5 days for my S-E account to be reactivated.

Ravidrath

kiryogi

Banned
If PSO2 is mouse/keyboard I will STAB somebody. That game should be controller all day, every day, no exceptions.

lol believe it or not, I played PSU JP via KB and much preferred it so XD It's still odd for me to play PSP2i on the psp and such at times.

And the fabled Gooblue :O And it's just as fast as bird. WANT.

Jinko

The PS3 supports KBM so it shouldn't be an issue.

This is true, but no devs currently support that set up .. in any game .. that I know if at least.

If PSO2 is mouse/keyboard I will STAB somebody. That game should be controller all day, every day, no exceptions.

I agree it should be playable with both but PSO2 is PC only at the moment right so why would you enforce controller ?

I thnk the problem I have with FF14's controls are that they are one sided and favour the gamepad side of things, thats just the way SE are they have next to no experience making PC games. With any luck the fact Yoshi-p is an avid MMO player will set this right when they redo the UI and controls.

Goobbue music is cool, I'm glad Yoshi-p is in charge we would have never seen this mount if Tanaka was still around.

If rumors can be given credence, he is capable of influencing the humours of goobbues by way of an enchanted horn, one whose distinct sound beckons the creatures and tames them besides.

I wonder if this is hinting at beastmaster.

scotcheggz

So what's the deal with IME in Windows 7?

I can't figure out what the keys are to change between English and different kana, etc.

So awesome - can't wait to get mine.

Should be the same as always, ALT+shift to switch through languages and the ALT+tilde(top left key u der escape, next to 1) to change through kana, just need to hit it once to swap between roman and kana. I found that sometimes the game gets stuck or something and it won't write in kana and I have to tab out, switch languages a couple times on the desktop and then tab back in and it will work. I dont know why, but this usually sorts it out.

Allard

The Gobbue mount video!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Q2i5fd6gP8I

Love the music already. Reminds me chrono cross in some way.

And some lore about it,
http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/topics/detail?id=24ab38a4500e23f35f250b53080a4821c1c8c78e

edit: patch is january 19.

Yeah Chrono Cross was definitely the first thing I thought of when I heard the music. This new fleet of composers for FFXIV is really doing wonders for my enjoyment of the game, hope they get a shot at other big games down the line when they aren't churning out tunes for FFXIV :)

This is true, but no devs currently support that set up .. in any game .. that I know if at least.

|
|
v

The only game that does is Unreal Tournament 3.

And it worked well. Too bad the game was boring.

But just like the PS2, FFXIV for the console can support devices that may not be needed by other games.

As for the mount video, I really did get a chrono vibe from that music. Awesome stuff.

Ravidrath

Should be the same as always, ALT+shift to switch through languages and the ALT+tilde(top left key u der escape, next to 1) to change through kana, just need to hit it once to swap between roman and kana. I found that sometimes the game gets stuck or something and it won't write in kana and I have to tab out, switch languages a couple times on the desktop and then tab back in and it will work. I dont know why, but this usually sorts it out.

Huh, OK.

Maybe the setup for this stuff has changed? Because when I click on the Microsoft IME on the language bar, there's no pull-down to set it back to English.

Huh, OK.

Maybe the setup for this stuff has changed? Because when I click on the Microsoft IME on the language bar, there's no pull-down to set it back to English.

Make sure you have multiple keyboards still available from the Keyboards and Languages list.
ALT+Shift is default, but you can create your own shortcut to directly switch to the language of your choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom