• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allard

In other news it looks like the the crafting recipe system is getting a complete overhaul in 2.0. Rep just posted that 2.0 will have a universal recipe list that will update as you level up; furthermore you can select any recipe in the list and if you have all the ingredients you will automatically start crafting once you select it. Working on search features and categories etc. right now to make it easier to find. However the new bit of info that the rep talked about is that with the new 'recipe book' not all recipes can be used/learned automatically upon hitting the right level, they intend to have special leve and quest recipes that you can only used once you learn them. In other words the new system will support 'recipe growth' rather then just 'knowing' all the recipes once you hit max level.

Don't care what you been doing Yoshi, give us some info about the game.

Everyone who was going to stay has already voted with their wallets, assuming they could navigate the hilariously Byzantine payment process. From here on out it's going to be Yoshi-P's Japan travelogue! :3

Really? UltimatePay didn't show up as an option for me when I subscribed.

UltimatePay is only available in certain countries. There was a hilarious thread complaining about that on the official forums which turned into the usual White Knights vs. Dark Knights battleground and in the end Squenix never said if there would ever be a real direct credit card payment method for the game or not, like every other subscription MMOG on the planet.

Munba

In the Minstrel dialogue, are there some places we'll see in the future?

I have walked the four corners of Hydaelyn, from the Gardens
of Xarakish
, to the Floating Lakes of Voor Sian Siran, but never in my travels have I encountered such a fell prophecy.

Probably places in other continents (game expansions).

Ravidrath

Let's hope so...

As neat as it was that XI was always talking about other continents and things, it got a little old when you never got to visit any of them.

I'm looking at you, Land Far to the East!

Munba

I always loved floating isles or similar. Also a girl in Limsa Lominsa pub talks about floating continents.

This game needs some truly 'fantasy' places around.

Jinko

You guys should have a look at the GW2 thread and see how in depth the crafting and colouring is.

Hopefully SE have seen what Arenanet are doing and plan to try and compete with the new crafting system in 2.0

My favorite locale has always been in the Black Shroud northeast of Camp Nine Ivies, where the ground sort of vanishes and the edges of the paths and cliffs drop endlessly and the trees seem to grow from the abyss.
That's been one of the more fantastical places. Always wondered what's down there.

Anyways, I do hope locations mentioned get fleshed out. In XI, we never did get the Far East or the Southern Mithran homeland. Wasn't there also a more northern continent that the giants came from too?

Jinko

Wasn't there also a more northern continent that the giants came from too?

Yea that was hinted at, I would like to see a snowy area, Xarcabard was a great area in 11 although easy to get lost in lol.

Would like to see a floating island of an area similar to riverne also.

Allard

My favorite locale has always been in the Black Shroud northeast of Camp Nine Ivies, where the ground sort of vanishes and the edges of the paths and cliffs drop endlessly and the trees seem to grow from the abyss.
That's been one of the more fantastical places. Always wondered what's down there.

Anyways, I do hope locations mentioned get fleshed out. In XI, we never did get the Far East or the Southern Mithran homeland. Wasn't there also a more northern continent that the giants came from too?

In the last expansion they detailed all the remaining continents including the names of the continents but since they have yet to make new proper expansion since, we haven't gone anywhere. There is a continent to the far west (Native American/Western Motif), Gigas Homeland to the Far North, The far eastern continent just beyond Aht Urgan (In CoP and ToAH they talk about how Aht Urgan is at war with the country of the far east).

Mithra homeland also got a lot of new details thanks to the male mithra that showed up for the windurst nation quest line. Got the capital name, national name, and continent name, as well as a couple surrounding isles. Yes it does suck we have yet to get more stuff about them. Maybe, just maybe we could get one final, 'true' expansion for FFXI for the 10th anniversary. They were teasing of something big coming to FFXI for the anniversary but were extremely coy on just what that might be. They also mentioned wanting to do a new fanfest but were conflicted on when or where it should be held at (In the past they wanted to make a fanfest that encompassed both FFXI and FFXIV but since Tanaka isn't the producer of FFXIV anymore that probably isn't happening anymore.)

The greatest fear for FFXIV at this point is whether it can survive, but since SE is probably a long way off from introducing another MMO from its FF branch, we at least won't need to worry about another game development screwing with any new content like it did with FFXI. If it can get to its first expansion, we will probably end up getting the remaining areas of Eorzea first (The Northern Section) and then it will expand from there. The idea of a floating continent fills me some thrills though, hopefully its actually a huge continent and not just some floating isle like Tulia region was in FFXI (Of which I might add would not be a bad thing to add considering I'm sure an HD version of sky would look amazing.)

Jijidasu

Finally got my problems sorted out and back into the game for the first time in more than a year.

Plenty of changes have been made for the better which were immediately apparent. Still needed some time to adjust to the lag(?) when selling items to NPC's on so on but otherwise I'm really hopeful for 2.0!

I'm on Rabanastre with Darte if anyone is around and wants to PT! Usually able to PT 18:00 ~ 24:00 JST with exceptions on weekends when my wife isn't beating me.

VW1Aw.jpg

Teknoman

Let's hope so...

As neat as it was that XI was always talking about other continents and things, it got a little old when you never got to visit any of them.

I'm looking at you, Land Far to the East!

Unfortunately they've already started that in XIV too. Was kind of hoping we'd get to visit Dalamud itself since it seems like an artificial moon, but if its going to crash... Well unless it stops just short and connects with the crystal tower Yoshi hinted at.

Munba

Was kind of hoping we'd get to visit Dalamud itself since it seems like an artificial moon, but if its going to crash... Well unless it stops just short and connects with the crystal tower Yoshi hinted at.

I dunno why but i have the presentiment that Dalamud (i think it's a little world with living creatures) will merge with Hydaelyn.. creating new places or merging the ones in dalamud with the actual ones. Because in 2.0 art we see new villages, 'new' ruins and settlements.. so i don't think they'll appear without a reason or after a meteor crush (that generally brings destruction and not new life).

Ravidrath

I dunno why but i have the presentiment that Dalamud (i think it's a little world with living creatures) will merge with Hydaelyn.. creating new places or merging the ones in dalamud with the actual ones. Because in 2.0 art we see new villages, 'new' ruins and settlements.. so i don't think they'll appear without a reason or after a meteor crush (that generally brings destruction and not new life).

Well, there was the word "strata" used in some of the concept art around the new "geological formations."

I think they're the buried layers of Haedelyn from past Astral/Umbra eras.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member

In the roadmap... it says..

5H4v6.png
←New Concept Art
One day, a massive geological anomaly suddenly appears from deep within the ground. Current players will have the opportunity to unlock the mysteries surrounding this strange, new landmark in the coming months.

Maybe this will appear to stop meteor...

Ravidrath

So I'm wanting to run this game at it's highest settings...for a video card, would a GTX 550 ti work?

As far as I know, virtually no GPU in existence can run the game on the highest settings, because they tried to futureproof it a bit.

I recommend just doing Standard and then adding some AA in to tune it, because the highest setting renders at like 2X your monitor's resolution.

Riposte

I probably can still climb that shit. Probably will still be able to a decade from now.

I need someone to put Strength II materia into my level 43 polearm.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
You can now pay directly with a credit/debit card: http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/index.html

In the months leading up to the end of FINAL FANTASY XIV's extended free trial period, we received copious amounts of feedback from customers regarding the billing system. We took that feedback to heart, and have worked to implement new payment options that better meet the needs of our players. As the first step towards our goal, we introduced the ability to utilize additional payment methods to purchase Crysta, and subsequently implemented a system that allowed for the purchase of user-specified amounts of Crysta.

As the next step towards a better customer experience, we are pleased to announce that it is now possible to enter credit/debit card information directly into the system to handle subscription payments. This feature has been by far the most popular request received from the community, and so we are very happy to make it available.

To utilize the new easier-to-use payment options, simply log into the Square Enix Account Management System and select the FINAL FANTASY XIV Service Account to get started.

Ravidrath

Jesus shitting fuck, why does it take a WEEK to end your ClickAndBuy auto-payment stuff?

...They're totally mailing physical paperwork to each other, aren't they?

Munba

Yoshida really changed SquareEnix mind lol. I hope they also delete definetely that shitty click&buy option from the earth..

Ravidrath

Well, it seems like it's still not Square Enix themselves that are billing you?

It appears to be through a company called GlobalPay, based on the throbber when you confirm the payment stuff.

Allard

The discussion in Reinhearts translation thread (on the FFXIV official forums) is interesting regarding changes to the world. The translation is about lore changes to Conjuror, the Goddess Nophica (Watcher of Gridania) and the what the name Nophica's well means. Its about how its a water Oasis given by the Goddess, but people are saying in the thread they are noticing pools of water in Nophica starting to dry up and places where there was no pools sprouting up out of no where. Can anyone confirm this? At work.

Munba

It seems patch 1.20c is on the way, from jp forums. Curious to see its content.. maybe chocobo armours.

I think 1.21 is still far away..

edit, some ConnectOn! (march) info by Reinheart:

Thinking of Thief coming from archer class.
For dark knight coming from Gladiator class, have to complete Paladin to obtain the quest, maybe it's good where once you become dark knight you can't go back to Paladin.

For Arcanist planning to include at start of 2.0
It's more of the sorcerer class that uses magic and WS to debuf and range and a technical pet class.
(poster comment: Looks like they just stuck the stuff taken away/missing after 1.20 in this one)

Musketeer is planned for after that and also thinking of duel gun

1.21 is delayed
Job equipment will be released but the weapon will not, weapon quest is harder to obtain.
Since everyone is saying AF, AF so decided the name will be artifact.
In 2.0 there will be a lot more dungeons, ID level style dungeon (I don't get this one), adding level sync, and checks to see ex/rare flags.
Other than that is post 1.23 beta planned. (doesn't talk about it just says that.)

Ravidrath

DRK coming from PLD and possibly being a one-way thing is... stupid. Why go against everything the game systems are is about for a story thing?

Arcanist sounds interesting, and similar to the original stuff people found in the DATs with "Animated Distaves." Also sounds consistent with turning into RDM?

Huh, I almost didn't think we'd get AF in 1.21 - glad to see we will!

It's really going to change the look of the game to have everyone running around in AF.

Munba

From Bayhone,

I understand that some people feel that information has slowed down as of late, and I apologize if some of the lore updates may not have been your particular cup of tea, but I am sure that what is on tap for next week will turn all that around.

There's a healthy amount of information coming pretty rapid fire, so I hope you guys can hang on a few days more. I don't want to overstep my bounds and list them out (I could probably expect my phone to start ringing after I hit post ;)), but there are some meaty details coming soon. I think you'll all be pleasantly surprised to learn about some of the things coming in 1.21 that weren't previously announced or hinted at (I know I was reading the list :D).

:0 !

Allard

DRK coming from PLD and possibly being a one-way thing is... stupid. Why go against everything the game systems are is about for a story thing?

Arcanist sounds interesting, and similar to the original stuff people found in the DATs with "Animated Distaves." Also sounds consistent with turning into RDM?

Huh, I almost didn't think we'd get AF in 1.21 - glad to see we will!

It's really going to change the look of the game to have everyone running around in AF.

Think we might be missing something in the translation. Remember this is a Japanese person summarizing something he read and then getting that summary translated. I have seen a lot of fluent JP translators make mistakes because they couldn't see the context themselves.

Honestly though the 'job' ideas for THF and DRK are stupid to me, seems like a wasted opportunity to not just make a new class and job. I like the old idea where they had THF as a class and Ninja as a job. The idea of a dagger class being the 'job' of a range class just seems backward to me, it would make more sense to be THF -> Archer but obviously Archer came first. As for DRK and on Gladiator it does make sense if the main weapon is Great sword. The job gets the two handed weapons that have been in the game for a long time, but I definitely do not like the idea of a permanent change, maybe a 'spec' change where you have to decide what you want to be in the field, but you can change it at a specific NPC or something.

Arcanist and Musketeer ideas are ok. If Arcanist is going to be a magic 'pet' class then I guess that implies the job is going to be Summoner then. I actually wonder where they could possibly take musketeer now that archer has Bard job. I figured they could go the Corsair route but with the only other melee range class now filling a buffing role, the only other possibility I see is a range debuffer and impact damage dealer.

Ashuron

So I'm a level 27 PGL, I've just joined a GC, and I'm having a hard time coming up with the 3k seals needed to get a chocobo. Completing all the GC quests up until now gave me around 2.3k or so seals.

I've tried the caravan missions but got pounded horribly. The company leves require level 30 and the supply missions are not needed. Is my only option to do the Imperial Devices quest?

I'm thinking of just grinding to 30 to get the goobbue and save up for the chocobo later.

Ravidrath

So I'm a level 27 PGL, I've just joined a GC, and I'm having a hard time coming up with the 3k seals needed to get a chocobo. Completing all the GC quests up until now gave me around 2.3k or so seals.

I've tried the caravan missions but got pounded horribly. The company leves require level 30 and the supply missions are not needed. Is my only option to do the Imperial Devices quest?

I'm thinking of just grinding to 30 to get the goobbue and save up for the chocobo later.

If your gear is currently-ish. you should be able to handle Level 30 GC leves at 27. Futhermore, with Guardian's Favor GC leves are REALLY good exp - you should get like 750-800 per kill, with a 3k or so dollop at the end.

Ashuron

If your gear is currently-ish. you should be able to handle Level 30 GC leves at 27. Futhermore, with Guardian's Favor GC leves are REALLY good exp - you should get like 750-800 per kill, with a 3k or so dollop at the end.

I'll be trying this later today. Thanks.

I will be on a couple of hours. I need to do that quest as well. My character is Jurial Lymdal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom