• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravidrath

I'm still not 100% yet. It would depend on if we actually finish everything on Friday as scheduled, so I wouldn't know till Friday night lol.

Lemme know if it happens - how long do you think you'd stay? You should come by the office and see the game and stuff, too.

Hey! I am planning on being at the LA meetup... no one wants to see me! :(

I didn't know!

I'm excited to meet any Red Dotters.

I'm attending the LA meetup too, chances are only members that are in Red dot might recognize me, as I rarely post anywhere.

Woo, another!

Holy shit.

beta.jpg

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Are you ready? I'M LADY!!

Assuming any of you still want to be my friend. ; ;

What's your BattleTag?

I played through the demo twice tonight with Renta, but had to bail early. It would be nice to get a full party going, hopefully would make the game a bit more difficult.

jiggle

thanks
hmm
not worth resubscribing

edit: actually healing magic +1 is pretty nice
especially with them getting rid of acc slot limit
damn

Teknoman

Kinda cool they dialed back on the accessory slots and actually have stats that make sense/will matter. I know some people are already complaining about how they cant mix different earring or bracer equip types though.

Ravidrath

Argh, was just told that one of my relatives died earlier this week and that the funeral's on Monday. Wouldn't make much sense to take a flight if I can only stay for little more than a day. Oh well :(

Sorry to hear that. :\

...And more sorry that you can't make the LA get-together! It's going to have 50+ GAFfers, and it can only be glorious or terrible.

ZiZ

Sorry to hear that. :\

...And more sorry that you can't make the LA get-together! It's going to have 50+ GAFfers, and it can only be glorious or terrible.

or terribly glorious.

My condolences Renta, I was looking forward to meeting you.

Argh, was just told that one of my relatives died earlier this week and that the funeral's on Monday. Wouldn't make much sense to take a flight if I can only stay for little more than a day. Oh well :(

My condolences.

Agreed, I would have loved to have met renta. It looks like evilore is a lock. I find that interesting.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
How do I make this game run well without looking like shit?

I've got it running in 1920x1200, 2x MSAA, 8 for overall rendering quality, 3 for background rendering quality, maximum shadow maps, ambient occlusion on, depth of field on, high textures, maximum texture filtering, hardware mouse on.

I have a pretty damn good system (i5 2500k Sandy Bridge at 4.5ghz, 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM, Radeon 5870 1GB GPU).

With this I'm probably getting something like 20fps or less.

Is there something known to just murder performance? Shadows? Ambient occlusion?

Any advice would be appreciated. I decided I wanted to give the game more of a chance before my free trial ends, despite my issues with the interface.

Ambient occlusion is the fps killer.

I run at 1080p 8xQMSAA, standard general/background drawing quality, and standard detail and get 60fps most places except crowded towns. Aside from turning off AO I also turn off DoF just because I think its overdone in this game. I've got a 2500k with a 570, both heavily overclocked.

EDIT: You can also probably turn down shadow detail, the shadows are blocky even on highest detail and some people even prefer turning them down to low to get rid of the self shadowing, which some find unpleasant. Look at the shadows on my characters face for an example of blocky shadows:

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member

My condolences, sorry to hear that :/

How do I make this game run well without looking like shit?

I've got it running in 1920x1200, 2x MSAA, 8 for overall rendering quality, 3 for background rendering quality, maximum shadow maps, ambient occlusion on, depth of field on, high textures, maximum texture filtering, hardware mouse on.

I have a pretty damn good system (i5 2500k Sandy Bridge at 4.5ghz, 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM, Radeon 5870 1GB GPU).

With this I'm probably getting something like 20fps or less.

Is there something known to just murder performance? Shadows? Ambient occlusion?

Any advice would be appreciated. I decided I wanted to give the game more of a chance before my free trial ends, despite my issues with the interface.

ambient occlusion on, depth of field on, > ambient occlusion off, depth of field off, and try again.

Ravidrath

I don't think the DoF actually hurts the framerate THAT much. Nothing on the order of AO, at least.

Shadows are still one of the most expensive things out there - I recommend setting them to "low" - it'll speed things up and remove the awful self-shadowing, and you'll still have a shadow to anchor you to the world.

I do wish they would separate the self-shadowing and shadow res into separate options, though.

Lhexh

So I am getting bored with FFXI and want to know a few things about FFXIV.Are guildleves the main exp source? Also what is the best DD as of now? How is the endgame as of now?

I played it for a bit when it came out and the only thing that kept my attention was the graphics mostly.

Allard

So I am getting bored with FFXI and want to know a few things about FFXIV.Are guildleves the main exp source? Also what is the best DD as of now? How is the endgame as of now?

I played it for a bit when it came out and the only thing that kept my attention was the graphics mostly.

Guild Leves are the main 'solo' source of EXP, and only really gain potential as you get higher up. They changed the formula in how you receive EXP during leves and dumped most of the 'bonus' into EXP you get upon completion. Difficulty now mainly changes the level of the mobs you receive as well as mildly changing the bonus you get at the end, as well as rewards.

End game balance keeps going back and forth and it seems SE really doesn't care about balance just yet as they are still in the middle of some of their overhauls, although good majority of the 'combat' related overhauls are going to completed or near completion with patch 1.21 with jobs coming in, changes to CC priorities, and the overhaul of food and medicine and accessories. The flow of what is needed changes each major patch but right now Archer is a big player as a damage dealer, that might change in 1.21 with the bard job becoming a buffer, and other class get more damage oriented jobs (Dragoon for Lancer, BLM for Tham, and Marauder is getting defense/offense upgrade with Warrior). End game right now is anemic. Only 2 things anyone is ever doing and that is two primal fights and maybe grinding spirit bonds to get good materia. Next update will add two new raids to the mix which more or less doubles anything we have gotten in a patch for end game, it's unknown if this patch will make ifrit and Moogle battle useless, but if it doesn't that means at least 4 things to do at endgame other then grind levels.

The game is fun as is if you want to level, but a lot of people are waiting on patch 1.21 for the job update and even more are waiting for 2.0 to hit. Personally I would just wait till 2.0, that way you get a fresh new experience, but if you don't want to wait there is still fun to go around. The market ward system now nearly mimics a proper Auction House system with only the stand out feature of search by name not in it yet. (Which they commented recently is coming either before or when 2.0 releases). The crafting recipes have been simplified and its now much easier to create final items. Repair system issues has all but been eliminated, it now functions as a gil sink and an item sink. You can NPC repair every item that has durability up to 99%, and you don't get penalized till like 15% now, and unless you die a lot, that durability isn't going to go down very fast either. All around the game is playable if not fun but because they are now in the process of switching the game over to the new 2.0 client (The 2.0 client in its base form just got completed recently according to the director, they now need to customize it and port over existing content while on top of adding the new assets which are not 'scheduled' to be completed till April.) Basically outside of 2 bits of gameplay coming in patch 1.22 (Garuda Primal battle and Hamlet Defense) the rest of the games new 'gameplay' will likely be stuff relating to the seventh umbral era, and that content won't 'exist' when 2.0 comes around, so that's something I guess...

Teknoman

I want to say because of the exp and battle changes, party battles are at least as viable as guildleves are now. Unless you mean joining together to party for leves as well.

...so how are things now?

I've put off joining for quite some time, (ya know, with the terrible launch and all...) but the changes I'm seeing here are getting me excited for 2.0. Really excited! I will certainly be playing when 2.0 lands, but I'm pondering jumping in now and exploring.

Effect

Curious about population as well. Have the game updated and kinda looking forward to trying the game again. Are there still Gaf players on Lindblum or are people pretty much playing on whatever server they want now?

Is the only way of getting weapons and armor still from other players? No NPCs selling weapons, item drops, etc?

Most GAF folks don't play anymore from what I understand, but the ones that do (like myself) are still on Lindblum for the most part. Crafters are still the main way of getting gear, although you can get some starter gear from NPCs and Notorious Monsters have gear drops as well.

Ravidrath

:( I was afraid that (player crafting) would still be the case. Kind of a deal breaker for me.

I think it's great, especially since our LS has everything covered.

There's a good chance people will give you stuff free if they have the mats, and they'll make it if you can provide them.

Also, keep in mind that there isn't a lot of raid content yet. There are two new raid dungeons coming next month, and that will generate a ton of new gear to compete against player-made gear, not to mention that addition of questable Artifact armor.

Cmagus

Me and the Goob

goob.png

eepk.jpg

mineeq.jpg

Getting alot done this week.Powering through crafting managed to get ARM to 33 and I am doing about 1-2 levels a day (should slow down soon though) and working on THM which is at 27 and hopefully 50 by end of week.

Effect

I think it's great, especially since our LS has everything covered.

There's a good chance people will give you stuff free if they have the mats, and they'll make it if you can provide them.

Also, keep in mind that there isn't a lot of raid content yet. There are two new raid dungeons coming next month, and that will generate a ton of new gear to compete against player-made gear, not to mention that addition of questable Artifact armor.

My issue isn't high level equipment but just general upgrading when starting out. I personally don't like being given equipment from other players when I'm in a guild. Even as far back when I first started Everquest 1 I didn't really like it. Sure I appreciated it when my friend was able to craft me some banded armor (big deal back then) but I quickly learned to prefer gaining things myself. Even when starting alts I usually just limit myself to passing along extra bags or money to buy housing items or for travel. I've always liked looting items from monsters when out killing or buying something from a vendor if I have to or gaining a piece of armor from a quest.

Jinko

Nice, no more Touch Up -> Touch Up -> Touch Up -> Touch Up -> Touch Up.

One touch up:
  1. Work -> HQ
  2. Dont Work -> Item lost.

Eww, what is it with SE and random... I hate Random !!

•During synthesis, HQ odds will be displayed as a percentage.
This makes more sense though.

800-1000 Quality ?? I hope they have changed the values because thats almost impossible in its current state.

The good things is that HQ items will be much more useful what with the bonus stats being effected, they really need to stop tweaking craftable gear and make loot drops more worthwhile though.

I subscibed last week for 3 months... wasn't guna but I must have been bored or something :S

Allard

Eww, what is it with SE and random... I hate Random !!

This makes more sense though.

800-1000 Quality ?? I hope they have changed the values because thats almost impossible in its current state.

The good things is that HQ items will be much more useful what with the bonus stats being effected, they really need to stop tweaking craftable gear and make loot drops more worthwhile though.

I subscibed last week for 3 months... wasn't guna but I must have been bored or something :S

It says you get 500 Quality automatically if all your ingredients are HQ already, on lower level synths it very much is possible to get 300-400 Quality with the right tools and abilities, a lot harder obviously when the item level is close to your own, so HQ synthesis should still be 'fairly' unlikely in the more needed synths at lvl 50, but with HQ ingredients you can boost your chances of getting an HQ to 25% right out the door, potentially 50-100% depending on if you can increase that chance; at least that is what it sounds like looking at their template, plus its subject to change.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I still can't get over just how ridiculously bad this billing/subscription system is:

Thank you for using the Square Enix Account Management System.

The free trial period for the following service will soon end. Please note that after the end date, you will be billed service fees for your automatically continuous options.

End Date: 02/12/2012
Service Account Name: FINAL FANTASY XIV
-------------------------------------------------------

For details regarding your automatically continuous options, please refer to "List Options Continued Automatically" in the Square Enix Account Management System.

If you would like to cancel automatically continuous options, please select "Cancel" from the service account's Options List.

This whole business with "service accounts" and "automatically continuous options" (seriously, what the fuck?) is just nonsensical madness. I imagine most people simply can't parse what Square Enix is trying to do.

That's not to mention how hilarious it is to have a base subscription option that doesn't let you even play the game ($9.99 for zero characters)!

SOLDIER

I have been experiencing frequent crashes in-game, leading to the message "Unable to locate Direct X device".

I've tried every single thing that people have mentioned: running the game in a window (using a third party program to keep it fullscreen), lowering graphic settings, killing processes, etc. And still this issue persists.

I'm posting here in the hopes that someone may have an idea or two I haven't tried yet, because I simply will not play the game as it is. It's so infuriating to be in the middle of a Leve only to have the game crash on me when I'm on my fifth monster.

I'll be back this week. Was playing PSO2A last week.

How is that?

I have been experiencing frequent crashes in-game, leading to the message "Unable to locate Direct X device".

I've tried every single thing that people have mentioned: running the game in a window (using a third party program to keep it fullscreen), lowering graphic settings, killing processes, etc. And still this issue persists.

I'm posting here in the hopes that someone may have an idea or two I haven't tried yet, because I simply will not play the game as it is. It's so infuriating to be in the middle of a Leve only to have the game crash on me when I'm on my fifth monster.

Have you updated your video card drivers?

Cmagus

I had this problem when I re-installed a few days ago.Go to Direct X main site re-download the direct X drivers and re-install them should fix the problem or at least it did for me.

Cmagus

Also I should mention tonight if anyone hasn't done the NM fights for the Moogle pre-req we are putting together a party tonight to get those done if anyone needs to finish those.We also may be taking some new people on their first Ifirit runs as well if you haven't done that yet either. It probably won't be till after 8:00 pm est or so I dunno drop me a line or something Eight Corova I should be one around then after I get home

Jinko

What GPU are you using, FWIW FFXIV won't play well with laptops with non ATI/Nvidia chipsets.

Oh yea I need help to get the last event item, 20 glory points or whatever, anyone wana help ? :D (I have candy)

SOLDIER

I had this problem when I re-installed a few days ago.Go to Direct X main site re-download the direct X drivers and re-install them should fix the problem or at least it did for me.

Every time I check Direct X it says I'm up to date, but are you talking about uninstalling and reinstalling it? I'm willing to try that.

My GPU is an ATI Radeon 5700 series.

Mognet

What's the deal with Pugilists nowadays? I used to tank everything including Ogre and Batraal with ease as a pug but now it seems the devs aren't even sure what role they want give it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom