• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teknoman

Got my first Moogle Weapon today, a Melancholy Mogfork!

Congrats man! I still need to get my act together and get some Ifrit equipment (and of course push Gladiator from 45 to 50).

j3L7QY16zNLSi.jpg

jbd2ieGZT03Bq0.jpg

jr9aKPzGKYX8f.jpg

jbHmhPwhSx78e.jpg

jbohpAZ3WS11Wm.jpg

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member

Nice bits.

2x Instances lvl 50!

-NEW-
Implementation of player residences at inns
-NEW-
Implementation of replay feature for quest cutscenes
-NEW-
Implementation of logout bonus

Yay! for the Theater.

NEW-
Intra-city travel -NEW-
Implementation of system allowing for warping within each city-state

Finally !

Ability to conduct player search via text command

And inevitable...

2 weeks delay, so patch moved to end February.

Teknoman

Yup, the music is really cool/relaxing too. This patch should revitalize everyone still around again. Also I guess guardian aspect is being taken away in favor of whats basically rest exp?

Last of all, I’d like to talk about the merging of servers I’ve mentioned on the forums. This is something we’ll be doing to ensure that everyone has a chance to meet as many other players as possible and encourage embarking on adventures together. We’re currently looking into how to make this particularly effective for the European players distributed across all Worlds, as they are fewer in number than players from other regions.

The server merge is a temporary measure intended to help FFXIV progress. We’ll be reintroducing Worlds when the number of players demands it, and with relaunch of version 2.0.

We’re planning to allow for an adequate amount of time between when we release the information regarding the server merging and when we actually carry it out. But for now I’ll have to ask you to wait a little while for the details. Patch 1.21 is a much higher priority, so the merging won’t happen until sometime after it goes live.

Since we’re in the final phase of patch work, this letter kind of just zipped through things, but I also wanted to mention that in addition to the 1.21 environment, we’re also running 2.0 clients on the shop floor now. One of the things we’ve done so far is make sure that more character customization options will be going in the relaunch version. We’ll be releasing more info in the future, so keep an eye out for that as well!

End of February huh? Was hoping it wouldnt be that far off (its not that far, but would have been nice if it could have released sooner).

Munba

About job quests i saw this word,

To take the form of quests incorporating exploration and battle

I'm thinking that they'll have to change again everything in this department when new areas will go out. A crazy work indeed..

edit:
btw, i don't see changes in "abilities animation" department in the list :/

N.A

Banned
1.20c tommorrow

At the following time, we will be performing maintenance on FINAL FANTASY XIV to implement patch 1.20c. During this period, FINAL FANTASY XIV will be unavailable.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your understanding.

* Clients will update automatically upon launch after release of the patch.

* Patch download rates may vary depending on server congestion.

* Comprehensive patch notes will be posted on the FINAL FANTASY XIV Forums the day of the patch's release.

[Date & Time]
Jan. 31, 2012 from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. (PST)

* The completion time may be subject to change.

[Affected Service]
- FINAL FANTASY XIV

Riposte

I'm almost done on completing all the main quests/sidequests. Need to beat Ifrit, Darkhold, and the Moogle. Also the stronghold quests.

EDIT: Who's with me?

Teknoman

By the way, doesnt Ishgard have to be opened before 2.0 hits? I thought it would have something to do with the job system...would be nice.

Gromph

Staff Member
By the way, doesnt Ishgard have to be opened before 2.0 hits? I thought it would have something to do with the job system...would be nice.

I think they will wait for 2.0 :/

I dont think in 1.22 or 1.23 we will see Ishgard

Allard

I think they will wait for 2.0 :/

I dont think in 1.22 or 1.23 we will see Ishgard

Yoshida already confirmed Ishgard is coming in 2.0, until then we are just going to keep getting teases to what's really in there. Bet we get a nice preview of the politics of Ishgard with the Paladin and Dragoon storylines, Paladin for Pro Ishgard propaganda, and Dragoon for the anti-ishgard (Since becoming an aspect of dragon kin is probably going to be frowned upon for that group).

Didn't they mention a new graphics engine for 2.0? Considering this is around the same time they plan on releasing a PS3 version, I wonder if this is good news or bad news.

Allard

Didn't they mention a new graphics engine for 2.0? Considering this is around the same time they plan on releasing a PS3 version, I wonder if this is good news or bad news.

Its good news. The previous engine was actually hamstrung by PS3 limitations, and despite those limitations in place they still had problems with RAM, which was the original reason it didn't launch at the same time the PC did. New engine is tailor made for MMO environment and supposedly allows far more flexibility for the user to tweak what he or she wants to see and how much. They are going to hard code some specific limitations into the PS3 release (get those ironed out during or leading up to the PS3 beta) but those limitations will no longer be present on the PC release. One example Yoshida mentioned with the new engine compared to the old one is that the old one has a hard coded 50 player instance limit, the engine will not allow you see more then 50 players or NPCs at any one time, which directly limits how large a scale he can or will make the game. (Imagine Warzone PvP with a 50 character limit despite it being open world/zoned. Or a beastman raid similar to besieged from FFXI. There would be mobs you could never see, Helpful NPC's or even players you wouldn't know were there, but they might see you). This is going to be changed so you can dial back or add more people you can see specifically at any time, thus allowing you increase performance by limiting how many you see, or increasing it if you got a beefier PC. The funny thing about this horrendous limitation is even FFXI had this configuration in by default even if the actual amount was limited.

The new engine is also incorporating a new lighting engine, how much it will change performance or the look of the game is unknown at this point but from what little I have seen I think it will be for the better. He mentioned how geometry will actually have dynamic shadows this time due to the new lighting engine, instead of baked into the textures. This should make some areas that have a lot of trees darker, but since almost every zone is getting changed from the ground up, nothing is going to look exactly the same anyways so it should all feel new. Hopefully Yoshida will give us a taste of what the new graphics are going to look like, even if its only a test render.

Gromph

Staff Member
[patch1.20c] 1.20c Patch Notes

System
[dev1300] The item search feature now allows players to distinguish HQ and materia-enhanced items.

Search results will now display HQ designations and the number of materia attached to an item. Further details such as materia type and attributes can be viewed by placing the cursor over the item.
* The difference in attributes between equipped gear and examined gear will not be displayed.

2823_0.jpg

Resolved Issues

The following known issues have been addressed:
An issue wherein the BGM for the Good King Moggle Mog XII battle occasionally did not play back as intended.
An issue wherein the synthesis ability Hasty Hand was being displayed in a fixed position.

Known Issues
An issue with the item search function wherein help text for a piece of materia would show its lowest rather than actual attribute values.
An issue with the item search function wherein materia values for gear with more than one of the same materia are displayed independently rather than totaled.

Allowing the search to show HQ and materia'd items pretty much instantly cleared out one of my bazaars that had been full for months. I didn't change any prices, just logged on to a couple million gil.

Teknoman

I hope before or when 2.0 hits, XIV gets a title screen animation similar to XIII and XIII-2. Just gives that little extra feel to the games to let you know its something from Square.

Also the battle music used in Shposhae needs to appear elsewhere. Its too good to be confined to a level 15 dungeon.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Betas usually spoil games too much for me.. so i'm not so jealous.

/ignore Hamstà.

Ehehehehe...... :D

I actually just scored a new job assignment this week so I might be a bit delayed until the weekend because of that anyway.

Also, I'm actually considering flying up to that LA gaf dinner thing since Ravid's gonna be there (and visit my SF buddies while I'm there).

Rawk Hawk

Wow, they've done a lot to this game that I was wishing for... The search function change might be enough to steal a month away from me at some point. I sure do miss /streatching on random people in Ul'Dah...

Effect

In the months leading up to the end of FINAL FANTASY XIV's extended free trial period, we received copious amounts of feedback from customers regarding the billing system. We took that feedback to heart, and have worked to implement new payment options that better meet the needs of our players. As the first step towards our goal, we introduced the ability to utilize additional payment methods to purchase Crysta, and subsequently implemented a system that allowed for the purchase of user-specified amounts of Crysta.

As the next step towards a better customer experience, we are pleased to announce that it is now possible to enter credit/debit card information directly into the system to handle subscription payments. This feature has been by far the most popular request received from the community, and so we are very happy to make it available.

To utilize the new easier-to-use payment options, simply log into the Square Enix Account Management System and select the FINAL FANTASY XIV Service Account to get started.

Finally. Looks like I"m reinstalling tonight.

ZiZ

I'm attending the LA meetup too, chances are only members that are in Red dot might recognize me, as I rarely post anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom