• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cmagus

What GPU are you using, FWIW FFXIV won't play well with laptops with non ATI/Nvidia chipsets.

Oh yea I need help to get the last event item, 20 glory points or whatever, anyone wana help ? :D (I have candy)

I need the last item as well just need to find someone who's race matches for the day.If it is Lala for Twin Adder I can help with that.

Every time I check Direct X it says I'm up to date, but are you talking about uninstalling and reinstalling it? I'm willing to try that.

My GPU is an ATI Radeon 5700 series.

Not sure I just went there and downloaded it if it is giving you that message then it probably is something else I just thought I would suggest it incase that could have been your problem.

SOLDIER

Well it seems I can't just uninstall DX (Windows 7), and running a diagnosis says everything is fine.

So there goes that idea. Not sure what else I could try.

I have finally went and bought the game, saw it cheap and couldn't resist since I loved FF XI.And if I don't like it, I would have only wasted 10€. :)

So any beginner guide you recommend?

I won't commit the same mistake as XI, since going raw in XI was quite painful lol.

Allard

I have finally went and bought the game, saw it cheap and couldn't resist since I loved FF XI.And if I don't like it, I would have only wasted 10€. :)

I won't commit the same mistake as XI, since going raw in XI was quite painful lol.

Well... there aren't too many new guides since the game keeps fundamentally changing every large update but even though it is a bit out of date, the lodestone guides aren't a horrible place to start. Its not perfect but it looks like they are adding stuff released even from our last overhaul (Although the screen in the first section beg to differ, but the next section has combos which got introduced in 1.20). Also the crafting section, although not nearly as intuitive as FFXIV-Db.com, is fairly up to date as they always add new synths in leading up to a major version update.

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/index.html

The play guide on the far left side should be a good starting point, plus you can look up info on the companies for other 'light' reading in case you stick around long enough to be forced to pick one (Level 25 on a Mage or War Class is when you can officially join a company).

Cmagus

Just get on and start asking questions that is your best bet everyone will help you out and get you up to speed. Here are some key sites you should be familiar with

Crafting recipes and stats
http://www.mooglebox.com/includes/index.php

Disciples of land (guide to where fishing, mining and botany spots are)
http://www.disciplesoftheland.com/

Crafting Guide
http://ffxiv.zam.com/wiki/FFXIV_Crafting_Guide

Yellow Gremlin (Alot of the recipes are out of date but if you are looking to farm specific items they have good maps to give you an indication where the monsters who drop them are located for the most part some may have changed but most haven't.Simply find the item you are looking for and if it shows which monster drops it click the monster name and it will give you a map.It's also good when you are searching wards for itemss the iteem descriptions tell you what ward the item is listed under its good for obscure items)
http://ffxiv.yg.com/

SOLDIER

Yes. It says that my DX is up to date.

Here's some more of my PC information, if it helps.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name WIN7
System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model EP35-DS3L
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz, 3000 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. F5, 7/16/2008
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
Time Zone Eastern Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 4.00 GB
Available Physical Memory 880 MB
Total Virtual Memory 8.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 4.27 GB
Page File Space 4.00 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Name ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series
PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_68B8&SUBSYS_29901682&REV_00\4&309465BD&0&0008
Adapter Type ATI display adapter (0x68B8), Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. compatible
Adapter Description ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series
Adapter RAM 1.00 GB (1,073,741,824 bytes)
Installed Drivers aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx32,aticfx32,aticfx32,atiumd64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atiumdag,atidxx32,atidxx32,atiumdva,atiumd6a.cap,atitmm64.dll
Driver Version 8.930.0.0
INF File oem86.inf (ati2mtag_Evergreen section)
Color Planes Not Available
Color Table Entries 4294967296
Resolution 1920 x 1080 x 60 hertz
Bits/Pixel 32
Memory Address 0xE0000000-0xEFFFFFFF
Memory Address 0xF5000000-0xF501FFFF
I/O Port 0x0000B000-0x0000BFFF
IRQ Channel IRQ 4294967294
I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB
I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\atikmpag.sys (8.14.1.6248, 319.50 KB (327,168 bytes), 12/5/2011 9:12 PM)

And my current FFXIV settings.

eHaR6.jpg

W5lLE.jpg

Teknoman

What's the deal with Pugilists nowadays? I used to tank everything including Ogre and Batraal with ease as a pug but now it seems the devs aren't even sure what role they want give it.

I'd like to think they are supposed to be elemental melee based attackers, which would help if enemies had actual elemental weaknesses.

We will probably see the true path once the job patch hits.

Allard

Reps are translating the comments from last night and it came with two comments from Yoshida. Nothing really new, but he wanted to clarify his stance on a couple issues so people can criticize/give feedback to his decisions.

First - There will be no official support for Voice Chat now or in the future, not even for 2.0. he gave several reasons for it (most of which is just his personal belief on it) but it all comes down to worrying about losing customers who don't want to use voice as the primary means of communication (He worries if its officially supported, the community would get fragmented between those that have mics and don't etc.) and also because the brandwith costs on their side would much, much higher. He does go on to say that there are 3rd party programs people can use between friends and linkshells if they so desire to go that route (He says he does it constantly in other MMO's he has played). Basically no official support, but its up to the player and his 'group' if they want to use other services like voice to communicate, or basically the same stance almost every game has that isn't on xbox360 lol.

Second - He gives his 'current' stance with the new HQ changes. He changed his mind after internal discussion to keep all HQ materials from automatically making an HQ final product, but 500 quality (for the moment) will give close to 80% chance at HQ, and that 100% HQ is for people that can get that quality to 1000. The touch up change is for people who think getting NQ is as good as losing the item and its supposed to give players another chance for HQ at half the chance rate they finished the item (80% goes to 40% chance during touch up) and penalty is actually losing the item. So if you don't care about quality, don't use touch up, but if that is your aim then touch up is merely a second chance. The percent for HQ will be readily available while crafting, and the numbers are on a sliding scale where initially the quality dramatically affects the HQ rate, but when you get to 800+ the point per percent ratio goes down.

They also gave a lore update on the nature of Guild Leves (What stuff stands for on the physical 'cards') and the lack of horses in game, despite the stables and pictures depicting their presence.

Effect

Well signed back up in the end. Kept going back and forth on it and realizing that the monthly fee was lower then other MMOs I figured why not. What's $10 for the month going to hurt. Started a character on Cornelia (Daornthir Sin is the character's name). Right now a level 6 Lancer. Not sure if I should stay here though. The starting area (Gridania) looks dead other then the few people I've seen run through the area. Maybe everyone has moved on from this area or move on from this air quickly? The server did have three chocobos at 8pm EST. Figured it was a good place to remake my character. Or perhaps the server is really top heavy?

N.A

Banned
World Merge Info: http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/topics/detail?id=21c8a6a0fd176c0218f291536ca419f3e1963950

In order to improve the player experience, we will be merging Worlds on Tuesday, March 27, 2012. After the merge is completed, there will be a total of ten Worlds, down from the current eighteen.

To ensure that the World merge is fair for all players, character transfers will be required for all existing characters. Players must select a new post-merge World for their characters, and will be reassigned automatically should they not do so by the established deadline. We urge you all to review the World Merge Summary and the Notes Regarding the World Merge.

This World merge is intended to improve the player experience during the period up to the launch of FFXIV Version 2.0. New Worlds may be added in the future, for example after the relaunch or when player numbers increase.

[World Merge Summary]

Key Dates
March 1 (Thursday) to March 19 (Monday), 2012: Character transfer selection period. *
March 27 (Tuesday), 2012: World merge maintenance to be carried out.

Information regarding the time required for the merge maintenance process and other details will be released at a later date.
* The character transfer selection period will consist of two stages. For details, see Selecting a Transfer Destination below.

Details of the Merge
The current eighteen Worlds will be reorganized into ten, and existing characters will be transferred into the ten new Worlds.

Before
Cornelia
Kashuan
Gysahl
Mysidia
Istory
Figaro
Wutai
Trabia
Lindblum
Besaid
Selbina
Rabanastre
Bodhum
Melmond
Palamecia
Saronia
Fabul
Karnak

After
New World 01
New World 02
New World 03
New World 04
New World 05
New World 06
New World 07
New World 08
New World 09
New World 10 *
* World recommended for
German/French-speaking players

New World 10 is recommended for German and French-speaking players. German and French-speakers form a minority within the total player population, and this should improve their playing experience and make it easier for them to get together and form parties. However, it is a recommendation only. The World will not be restricted to German and French speakers, and players from other regions are free to transfer to the World.

* The new Worlds shall inherit the names of the ten most popular current Worlds. Name assignments will be announced after the transfer selection period has ended.

Selecting a Transfer Destination
During the transfer selection period indicated below, players will be able to select a destination World on the World Transfer Application Page. Players who do not select a destination World during this period will be automatically distributed across the Worlds.
* The World Transfer Application Page is scheduled to be available from March 1.

Transfer destination selection period: From 8:00 GMT, March 1 (Thursday) to 7:59 GMT, March 19 (Monday), 2012.
* Transfer selection period will consist of a first and second stage.

First Stage: From 8:00 GMT, March 1 (Thursday) to 7:59 GMT, March 12 (Monday), 2012.
- Players will still be able to change their destinations, even after making a selection.
* Players will not be able to select Worlds that have already been filled. Players can, however, move from Worlds that have been filled to other Worlds.

Second Stage: From 8:00 GMT, March 12 (Monday) to 7:59 GMT, March 19 (Monday), 2012.
- Worlds that have been filled will be locked, and players in these Worlds will not be able to transfer to other Worlds.

Restrictions on selecting a destination
To select a destination, an existing playable character must be associated with a player’s service account. As long as a player has at least one usable character, a destination World may be chosen for all characters in the service account, including characters that have not yet been paid for.
* To view and change your subscription details, visit the Square Enix Account Management System and click Select Service on the left-hand menu, and then select FINAL FANTASY XIV.

Notes Regarding the World Merge
All character details will be transferred, with the exceptions described below.

Character Names
After the merge, if two or more characters with the same first and last name exist in the same World, only one character can keep the name, based on the order of priority below.

1. Characters that are playable on both March 26 (Monday) and March 27 (Tuesday), 2012.
2. Characters that were created first.

If your character name must be changed because another character's name takes priority, please do so by following the on-screen instructions when you first log in after the World merge.
* After you enter a new name for the character, the change will also be reflected on the Lodestone.

With this World merge, all character names that were kept after participation in the previous Open Beta test will be deleted.

Retainer Names
If retainers with the same name exist in the same World, only one of the retainers can continue using the name, based on the same conditions described above for player characers.

If you are required to change the name, please do so by following the on-screen instructions when you first log in after the World merge.

About Linkshells
Linkshells will not be carried over to the new World. They will be deleted automatically during the merge
* Linkshell community pages on the Lodestone will no longer be accessible after the merge.

Because linkshells will be deleted, you may lose contact with linkshell members. However, your Lodestone follow list will survive the World merge unchanged, so we recommend that players who want to stay in touch follow each other before the merge takes place.
* The "follow" will persist even if the character's name is changed.
* You can follow characters through the linkshell list or via each character's own page.
 Players will be able to follow characters through the linkshell list starting today, February 9.

Friend List/Blacklist
All friend list and blacklist data will be deleted during the merge.

Character Info on the Lodestone
The World name displayed in character pages, diaries, and histories (including finished histories) will change to the new World name after the merge. If the character name changes, that will also be updated.

New Subscriptions during the World Merge
Players are free to create new FINAL FANTASY XIV Service Accounts and new characters during the merge period. However, depending on the timing of the new subscription/new character creation, players may not be able to select a destination World.

1. Until 7:59 GMT, March 19 (Tuesday), 2012
After subscribing and creating a new character, follow the steps above to apply for a transfer to a World. If you do not apply for a transfer, the character will be automatically allocated to a World.

2. From 8:00 GMT, March 19 (Tuesday), 2012, until the World merge maintenance is completed
Because the World transfer application period is over, you will not be able to select a destination World. Characters created during this period will be automatically allocated to one of the new Worlds. If you wish to avoid being automatially assigned to a new World, we suggest that you create your character after the World merge maintenance is completed.

Cmagus

well I am sure you can just join the server GAF picks when you come back.I need Red Dot and Lalapalooza to go on the same server

Cmagus

"Players must select a new post-merge World for their characters, and will be reassigned automatically should they not do so by the established deadline."

Hmmm...

Yeah, well I dunno then I am sure they will allow those who aren't active to do so I mean if they don't there is going to be alot of pissed off people. They will change it they have to the main forums are gonna become a shit storm soon if they don't

Jinko

I wonder what will happen to players who are inactive. I'm not planning on re-subbing a month just to choose where my currently-inactive player goes.

You prob don't need to resub, it depends if they do it through the chracter selection screen or SE account page, I imagine the later.

Gromph time for you to come to Lindblum :D

So what number sever is GAF going to choose, they should release names at least.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
So, I decided to give the game another chance once 1.21 hits. This world merger may give us a chance to rebuild/strengthen the LS too. I could possibly get a few people to give the game another chance as well once 1.21 hits or before the deadline for picking servers.

I think now would be a good time to make another thread too. I don't know if Renta will continue the thread he was making or if someone else knowledgeable on all the changes would like to do that. We can perhaps build some tiny bit of hype and get some new players or old ones to come and hang out with us.

If things work out we should also schedule a few nights a week or the weekend where we can do something as an LS (Hopefully).

Allard

A friend on Palamecia has basically convinced his LS to move to Lindblum to join us, I believe.

That's assuming Lindblum will be a server after the world merger, find it odd they didn't give any names for the new servers. This merger is much better then FFXI's ones at least, but there is one tweak I would like to see added to the 'merge'. Make everyone on your current world pre selected to go to another one but you still maintain the right to move. The last thing I want is a community to get fragmented all because each ls just went to a variety of different worlds because there was no world consensus on where the new community should be held. Just a name stating where you are heading unless you change it is all that would be needed. This way people who are not playing till 2.0 don't get dumped on a world that isn't the original world community they started with.

Of course another possibility is to just allow one time server transfer that remains in place leading up to 2.0. Either way its far enough away they can make some changes, and I know the Japanese communities are getting very vocal at the community fragmentation looking at the host of rep comments that showed up talking about the issue this morning.

Jinko

Agreed they should have auto allocated people to a sever with 3 weeks to change if they felt like it.

According to the German and French forums server 10 is an EU server not just for french and german. (shrugs)

Just played for a bit yesterday, before going to try Tera :p

It's too early to made a comment on the game but I'm surprised it looks so rough, UI, graphics (no Vsync),etc.. after so many patches, well I kinda expected it (since there's still quite a lot of time until 2.0 hits) but I can't imagine how it was when it was released, although presentation looks quite good, but it's a bit sad seeing the city so empty, it might be because I'm European and not many people were loggued at the time, but compared to XI which is was so lively...

Also, I'm on Lindblum can I get into the LS?

Cmagus

Just played for a bit yesterday, before going to try Tera :p

It's too early to made a comment on the game but I'm surprised it looks so rough, UI, graphics (no Vsync),etc.. after so many patches, well I kinda expected it (since there's still quite a lot of time until 2.0 hits) but I can't imagine how it was when it was released, although presentation looks quite good, but it's a bit sad seeing the city so empty, it might be because I'm European and not many people were loggued at the time, but compared to XI which is was so lively...

Also, I'm on Lindblum can I get into the LS?

Yeah Lindblum is quiet for the most part but will pick up with server merges. In terms of a LS pearl I don't think any of our leaders have been on in awhile or at least the last week it's mostly been the same 5 people on at night. Renta will be back soon he can probably hook you up.If you are on during the day which is night for some of us send us tells if your looking for a party we can find you somewhere to join in the meantime. Eight Corova is my name on there so if we happen to be on at the same time your more than welcome to join whatever group we usually have one going.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
You prob don't need to resub, it depends if they do it through the chracter selection screen or SE account page, I imagine the later.

Gromph time for you to come to Lindblum :D

So what number sever is GAF going to choose, they should release names at least.

I will ask our LS members to move to the same server.

Ravidrath

So how do we want to decide which number we're going to pick?

Have everyone log on some day and /random for it, average them and then round down? :p

Teknoman

I would like to offer some insight into why we decided not to display the World names.

The operations and development teams held many internal discussions regarding how the Worlds were going to be merged. We discussed displaying the World names and allowing players to choose their destination and we also considered having some Worlds dissolved and merged into other existing worlds.

We did consider deciding on the World names beforehand, but the problem is that players often choose which World to go to based on its name (to be more specific, currently both Selbina and Gysahl are highly populated due to the popularity of the World names).

Therefore, when merging 18 servers into 10, you can imagine that there will be a rush to choose the Worlds that have popular names. These would fill up quickly and we would have to stop letting people in, and then it would end up being something of a lottery. Taking into consideration the time difference and what day etc, it was really hard to decide, but as we are making playing together as a community a priority, we have decided to hold back the World names and let people choose this way.

We are aware that some players may be frustrated at this, and we apologize for that but please try to understand our reasoning. We haven’t decided which World will get what name yet. For, things like drawing lots and other methods, we want to think about this separately.

I guess that sounds about right. Probably should go ahead and get this done before March.

Jinko

I guess that sounds about right. Probably should go ahead and get this done before March.

Sounds lame to me, explaining how it will work doesn't change the fact they are doing it wrong.

Sure in 12 months time nobody will care but it really sucks for people who don't intend to come back til 2.0.

It's like one bad choice after another.

Teknoman

Sounds lame to me, explaining how it will work doesn't change the fact they are doing it wrong.

Sure in 12 months time nobody will care but it really sucks for people who don't intend to come back til 2.0.

It's like one bad choice after another.

For the naming choices, its a good explanation, but just randomly sending people to a server if they dont choose/dont have time to choose is a really bad decision.

Jinko

I'd suggest server 4 or 5

I imagine 1-3 will fill up fast due to people selecting the servers at the top of the list.

7-9 may end up with a small population.

Yeah Lindblum is quiet for the most part but will pick up with server merges. In terms of a LS pearl I don't think any of our leaders have been on in awhile or at least the last week it's mostly been the same 5 people on at night. Renta will be back soon he can probably hook you up.If you are on during the day which is night for some of us send us tells if your looking for a party we can find you somewhere to join in the meantime. Eight Corova is my name on there so if we happen to be on at the same time your more than welcome to join whatever group we usually have one going.

Thanks, I'll try contact you tomorrow.

Just spend like 30 minutes running around to complete the second main quest in Gradania, lol.

Can't decide if I like this approach more or less than in XI.

Jinko

Post from Yoshi-p

Hello! This is Producer/Director Yoshida.

Thank you for the large amount of feedback in regards to the world merge.

I’ve been reading through each of your posts (as well as Twitter) and I’m sorry my post is really late. A world merge at this current point in time, as well as being something of great magnitude for all of you players, it is at the same time something of great magnitude on the development and operations side.
I would like to follow up on the released specifications for the world merge.

Intent of the World Merge

I believe that MMORPGs are made up of large connections between the entire game community and the communities within each world. For MMORPGs, there are a lot of instances where you form parties and play, so because of this the community requires the proper number of players to be able to accomplish this. As we head toward 2.0, we began billing and we had a pretty good grasp on the number of people that would play the game. We predicted that conditions would arise on worlds where it would be difficult to establish a community, which is why we proceeded with the preparations for a world merge.

Of all of the comments that were against this world merge, the one comment seen most often was “don’t destroy the community!” However, just the same as all of you, the development and operations team and I consider “community” to be the highest priority. This is how we engaged in a discussion about the world merge specifications.
With that said, first let me say that our underlying feelings are in the same place.
Especially with this merge, we felt very strongly to make it so everyone from the EU region can play together in the same time zone.
(By the way, there seems to have been some conjectures about financial aspects and what not; however, we had already been operating with 18 worlds, meaning that the game server hardware and database servers we already purchased. By stopping 8 worlds, there is a near zero affect and there is not a single motive having to do with cost, so please don’t think this is the case.)

Reasoning for the Announcement of the Specifications

A large reason why we announced the specifications early was to be able to see your feedback once we released the development and operation team’s specifications. World merges are an extremely delicate topic and we need to flesh out the specific details of the specifications, so we decided it wasn’t suitable for a survey and put a stop to the idea. (It would be near impossible to gather the appropriate responses by offering a survey with methods like: A, A1, A2, B, B1, B2)

Due to this, we released the specifications early to give ourselves time to make adjustments based on feedback. I am very sorry that I was so late to follow up on this as I crashed from a high fever until this evening.

There have been comments from Foxclon, but even internally there have been heated debates about the world merge between the development, operations, and QA teams. I will be honest in saying that up until the last minute there was no plan that everyone agreed on. (The reason for this being that every plan had its own set of pros and cons)

The 4 plans that stayed prominent throughout the discussions are the 4 listed below.
(A=World with high population of players, B=World with low population of players, C=New World, X=Different World)

①A + B⇒A World to merge with B World
②A + B - X ⇒A World to merge with B World, except people that would like to move are able to choose a different World
③A + B - C ⇒A World to merge with B World, except people that would like to move are able to choose to go to C World
④Prepare 10 Worlds, set a limit, and give everyone the power to move their characters to a World of their choice.

There were many others as well but I eliminated them.
Of these, after thinking very carefully, we decided to prepare an announcement for ④.

The Intentions of Going with Option ④

After weighing the pros and cons of each option day and night, I finally decided to go with option ④. The biggest deciding factor for this decision was me believing in the strong bond within the community.

We thought that by giving the community plenty of time before the application period, each community would come together and discuss their destinations.
Of course, we considered the players who do not login as often as others.
Discuss Period + Selection Period A (Decision Can be Changed) + Selection Period B (Decision Can Not be Changed)
With the long time frame that was provided, I believed it was enough time for a majority of the communities to agree on a World. Another reason we decided to not reveal the World names is because we wanted everyone to decide on a World purely based on what the community wants instead of having the World name getting in the way of making that decision.

We knew that the World names will be a huge factor in deciding what World you will be going to. By hiding the World names, we thought that we would be able to avoid flooding specific Worlds and provide each community a chance to spread out without losing anyone. (I assume this is one of the reasons why the community complains that the devs always makes the wrong decision…)

We also provided a World recommended for German/French-speaking players in order to make it easy for the German/French community to gather together.

Furthermore, no matter what option we decide to go with, we knew we weren’t able to satisfy every customer. If that was the case, we thought it would be the best way to go if we gave the players the freedom to choose. Because there were no World Merges like this in the past, we had a really difficult time finalizing the specifications of the merge. On a side note, we also have plans to implement a system within The Lodestone wherein players will be able to track what players transferred to what Worlds (as Foxclon mentioned before).

The Cons of Option ④

The reason why I had a hard time choosing Option ④ was because of the following factors.

A: Players who belong to multiple communities might end up being torn apart by having to decide which community they will follow.
B: The option will cause stress on all players instead of causing stress on a number of players.
C: Players who decide to come back to the game after the merger will end up on a brand new World and no longer be able to player with friends.

Both the QA team and I though factor A was the biggest problem of them all.
Factor B may not be as bad because we provided everyone the freedom to choose a destination.
Factor C also may not be as bad because we have no idea when these players will return to the game and if they do, it would be most likely with 2.0. With 2.0, we had plans to implement a World Transfer Service so we believed that should be able to address this problem.

Why We Didn't Go With Option ①~③

Option ① would be the most straight forward option and also it’s also the option that we can execute with the least cost. However, this option was most likely not a viable option for the French/German players. Also, we believed it was too forceful to merge the Worlds based on population as it might also cause a lot of stress for the destination World. Overall, this would be the safest way to go.

With option ②, players will be given the option to transfer to another World. However, if there ends being too many players who would want to transfer over to that World, it might end up going over the set capacity and overflow the World. Since we won’t know the results would be like until the actual we see the actual results, we would end up taking a huge risk.
In addition, if a player belongs to multiple communities, they might end up being torn apart by having to decide which community they will follow (probably not be as bad as ④).

Option ③ is a twist on option ②. We put a lot of focus on the French/German players.
However, even this option might end up with not enough players wanting to transfer to the new World or too many non- French/German players that might want to transfer to the new World and prevent some French/German players from moving with their community.

I personally was deciding between option ② and option ④ until the last minute and finally decided to go with option ④.

Until the World Merge Occurs

As I mentioned originally, the World Merge will be a huge event for the whole community.
I’m trying my best to be open with you by provide you specifications via topic posts and forum posts, yet it still seems to be not enough. I apologize for not being able to provide a clear explanation for everyone.

We will continue to perform internal discussions based on the feedback we have received. As I mentioned before, we want to perform the World Merge to “Move Forward in FFXIV.” In no way did I have any intentions of breaking the “bond” between you and your friends, nor break the “bond” between you and the development team.

Once again, I would like to apologize for not being able to provide a clear explanation for everyone. The only thing I would like to ask of you is to keep your feedback constructive.

Allard

Post from Yoshi-p

Should have done option 2 coupled with the new server names 'theory'. They should have the data on what servers have the lowest active population and then just try to spread it out like every other game that has ever done merges. And then give people that want to move to more people in their time zone the option to by keeping the one server a Eurozone server. Populations balance out, people's communities are not ripped apart, and those that want to try a different pasture can do it if they choose. I don't know why he thinks option 2 will somehow result in certain servers being more populated when the current option actually forces communities to move around will only make it more likely a specific server gets chosen as the 'goto' server for a lot of communities anyways, and the only thing you get in return is people pissed about their friends getting split between communities.

jiggle

awesome!
either 2 or 4 will fit my need
not only do i get to remake my characters without losing anything
now i get to jump over to Lindblum from Rabanastre!
love it
LOVE it

Teknoman

Two really does seem optimal. Everyone on both servers stays together, and only moves to another server if they want to.

Players would be happy with a fusion of communities, and people who wanted to strike out on a new fresh server could do so.

Teknoman

One of the main forum posters brought up a decent point:

No solution will please everyone, but it seems like option 4 yields the possibility for people to bring their friends to a new place to meet new people and start an entirely new, cohesive community.

When you just smack to servers together, they just don't "fuse" like some people think. There's tension between people because each community may be radically different. It's fine for the people who were on the original server (in no small part because there are way more of them), but for the people coming in it's really not a positive experience. You're on Server A, but in a sub-community that belongs to server B. You'll never really be on the same page as the people you merged into. That's something that doesn't go away.

But if we all start over together, we can forge something entirely new. It sucks to leave what you have behind, but who's to say what you create next won't be even better?

I havent made too many connections myself on Lindblum, and ones I have made ended up being recruited into Red Dot at some point (Firon for example, met him early on, and eventually he ended up getting a pearl), so I guess either option would work for me. The way Sidious described option 4, it does sound appealing...and when something similar to option 2 happened in XI, there was a small split for awhile.

Allard

One of the main forum posters brought up a decent point:

I havent made too many connections myself on Lindblum, and ones I have made ended up being recruited into Red Dot at some point (Firon for example, met him early on, and eventually he ended up getting a pearl), so I guess either option would work for me. The way Sidious described option 4, it does sound appealing...and when something similar to option 2 happened in XI, there was a small split for awhile.

I guess that would be the case if you are part of a 'tight' community or no community, but thanks to a bunch of people constantly leaving over the life of the game, I have like 5 LS's I that I keep track of. 2 of them are from friends I made on the former Server Gilgamesh in FFXI, another couple I have with a variety of people from the FFXIV server that I got to know with this game (And that LS is still going strong) but then I also have friends who more or less 'live' in another ls I don't even have. Unless there is a server 'concensus' on which server number to go to, there is a very, very good chance I am going to need to choose between my old friends and my new friends on what server to settle on due to lack of communication with my friend's ls. Yes there is some pros with the 'new community' atmosphere that might happen from the wild west style server transfer, but part of the reason I even stick around these days is due to all the friends I have made over the past year. You split them up and there is a good chance I might end up quitting over the long haul over the splitting of the community I have come to live with.

Teknoman

Thats why i'm hoping everyone can come to a somewhat unanimous decision...but I doubt that will happen. Leaving the servers as just numbers for now might help, since no one really has any attachment to a certain number.

Maybe we could reach a consensus, and then convince others along the way :p

Ravidrath

Actually, I totally know what Sidious is talking about, because that is exactly what happened when Kujata and Valefor merged.

Kujata was a "backwater" server, and the NAs and JPs had grown accustomed to each other. Valefor's culture, on the other hand, was completely different, and the JPs seriously chafed at the behaviors of the NA Kujatans.

In some ways, it was like going back to the first month of the game, when JPs never wanted to play with NA players, when they'd yell at you for checking them, etc. Something apparently happened that destroyed any chance of trust between the two camps on Valefor, and Kujatans didn't know about any of that, and proceeded to treat them the same way.

That said, XIV is not the same scenario at all. The XI server merges were after many, many years of cultural development, and that hasn't really begun to form in XIV. On top of that, there aren't any of the drama hotspots in XIV like Three Kings, check messages, etc. that helped shape the cultures.

Teknoman

Renta still making the new thread btw.

Awesome.

I still need to kill some hellspawn with Renta and Unknown.

Actually, I totally know what Sidious is talking about, because that is exactly what happened when Kujata and Valefor merged.

Kujata was a "backwater" server, and the NAs and JPs had grown accustomed to each other. Valefor's culture, on the other hand, was completely different, and the JPs seriously chafed at the behaviors of the NA Kujatans.

In some ways, it was like going back to the first month of the game, when JPs never wanted to play with NA players, when they'd yell at you for checking them, etc. Something apparently happened that destroyed any chance of trust between the two camps on Valefor, and Kujatans didn't know about any of that, and proceeded to treat them the same way.

That said, XIV is not the same scenario at all. The XI server merges were after many, many years of cultural development, and that hasn't really begun to form in XIV. On top of that, there aren't any of the drama hotspots in XIV like Three Kings, check messages, etc. that helped shape the cultures.

Things were sort of like this when Sylph and Fairy merged. Its funny how each server, when isolated, develops it's own culture...even though in real life they're actually made up of people from many different cultures.

Speaking of which, what would people from Lindblum be called? Lindblumers...Lindblumese?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom