• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.
My brother, boyfriend and ls mates decided to move to Ragnarok, so I had to reactivate my account and do the same... Curse them!! Give me back my 10€!! (lol)

Teknoman

Transfer apps are up, so if you want to join us, now's your chance.

EDIT: Wow, we have no space available? Either we recently got a ton of people on Lindblum as well as Saronia, or everyone decided to apply at the same time.

Munba

Spellcasting changes,
http://sqex.to/AVt

[dev1302] Changes to Spell Casting Specifications

* The following changes are scheduled for the 1.21 patch release.
* Features are under development and subject to change or postponement.

Patch 1.21 will include changes that affect how spells are cast.
Read on for details about the new spell-casting specifications.
Moving will cancel a spell that is being cast

A spell will be canceled if the character moves while it is being cast.

Target-facing feature to be expanded

Along with the change that cancels spell casting when the character moves, the Face Target option (on the keyboard settings page at main menu » Configuration » Keyboard) will change as follows:

When the Face Target option is activated, the player character will immediately turn to face the main target. If the player character is in motion when Face Target is activated, the character will come to an immediate halt.
* By default, this is executed by pressing the H key. The function can be mapped to another key from main menu » Configuration » Keyboard.
* Can be activated with the text command /facetarget.

Use Sub-targeting When Casting Spell option to be added

A new option, Use Sub-targeting When Casting Spell, will be added under the configuration menu.
This feature is being added with the following expectations:

Gamepad players will enable sub-targeting.
Gamepad players will enable sub-targeting.
Mouse and keyboard players will disable sub-targeting.
When using a gamepad, selecting an action and target from the action bar is a two-step process that does not use a pointing device.
Select action
Select target of that action
In this case, the sub-targeting system will be implemented.

On the other hand, mouse and keyboard players use a pointing device such as a mouse.
Click on target
Click on action icon
In this case, sub-target selection is not required.

The intent behind this addition to the configuration menu is to better match gameplay control to the keyboard or gamepad, two very different kinds of input devices. Before using the feature, players should acquaint themselves with how the controls change when sub-targeting is enabled and disabled.

・Changes when sub-targeting is toggled on and off

When the Use Sub-targeting When Casting Spell option is enabled and a player uses the action bar as before to cast a spell, the game will switch to sub-targeting mode and the player can select a target for the spell. Players will not be able to target KO'd characters as main targets.

When the option is disabled, the game will not switch to sub-targeting mode when a spell is selected from the action bar. Instead, the spell will be cast on the main target, with spell casting beginning immediately. Players will be able to target KO'd characters as main targets.
* Enabled by default.

When using text commands to cast magic, players must use <t> or <st> to select a target, so the Use Sub-target When Casting Spell setting will not apply.

In addition, from Patch 1.21 an onwards, when creating a new character and selecting Keyboard & Mouse from the controls selection screen in the tutorial, the Use Sub-targeting When Casting Spell option will be automatically disabled.
* For current player characters, the Use Sub-targeting When Casting Spell option will stay enabled until the player changes the settings.

Demonstration video

The video below demonstrates all the specification changes and additional features described in this update.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zioXFLxK68I&feature=player_embedded

Jinko

Jinko, you meant to set the next boss run events at 3:00pm (CST) not 3:00am right?

I haven't touched it, but ill take a look. (Edit Fixed)

Reason servers have no space is because there are so many inactive accounts on them, people complaining there are no choices because all but 2 servers are full lol.

I'm staying put for the time being.

Producer letter was a let down, was hoping for a new dungeon video or something, oh wells.

Finally they have removed the need to confirm spells :D

Notice Burst in the video, new move or did they just remove Thundaga ?

Xux

I haven't touched it, but ill take a look. (Edit Fixed)

Reason servers have no space is because there are so many inactive accounts on them, people complaining there are no choices because all but 2 servers are full lol.

I'm staying put for the time being.

Producer letter was a let down, was hoping for a new dungeon video or something, oh wells.

Finally they have removed the need to confirm spells :D

Notice Burst in the video, new move or did they just remove Thundaga ?

New move, looks like it's "BLM mag. 1":
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/30986

The character in the video's a BLM apparently judging from the purple comet/meteor symbol next to their EXP bar.

Ravidrath

Boo, I can't access XIV while I'm at jury duty.

The filters here are weird: NeoGAF and Penny Arcade are open, but Shoryuken, Dustloop and FFXIV aren't.

Allard

Yeah the letter was definitely a let down, not just because it didn't give us much new info, but because the structure of the info was used almost verbatim last week when Yoshida announced the delay for the producer letter lol. The only changes were a couple extra photos of the job quests and the tentative date for patch 1.21 coming out. In fact I'm almost certain the date is the reason it was delayed so long, they just wanted to use the producer letter to announce the date of patch deployment and wanted to wait till they were ready to announce it.

As for the casting changes, most of it is good, most of it will be better in 2.0. The combat input lag that is still likely to persist after 1.21 till the new servers come in is going to make mage combat potentially frustrating but most will get by. I really like the new face target button sub targetting system. Should make combat selection a lot less frustrating for gamepad users and with the confirmation change it will also aid keyboard and mouse users.

The server issues don't bother me though, I always planned to stay on Figaro, the only solace is I fear some friends that were planning to come over to my server might not be able to >< hopefully they ease application process a bit over time so people can move if they want, because right now I am wondering if most the servers being full is intentional to try and get people to move to the new server.

Teknoman

Well at least the new black mage spells look cool.

EDIT:

New:
Firstly, let me apologize for the inconvenience that this has caused. In regards to the situation where multiple Worlds are showing as full, I wanted to let you all know that the population data on Lodestone is not shown in real time, and actually updates a few times throughout the day. Worlds that show as being full now, may not be later in the day. That said, we would ask that you please check back periodically to see whether or not the World you wish to transfer to is open.

rybrad

If a world is labeled as full does that mean you can't make a new character on it? I am going to start when the patch hits and wanted to be where there are people who actually play.

I'm sticking to Aegis (Figaro) for now, but I might apply for a transfer when 2.0 is released. I'm so glad I mained Thaumaturge (with a side of Conjurer), because Black Mage is going to be amazing. I was planning on changing my Lalafel to a Male Mithra in 2.0 but the Lalas look so bad ass in the new black mage armor...

The casting changes look good. The progress they have made and are making really makes it hard for me to ever completely give up on this game.

Jinko

Well at least the new black mage spells look cool.

EDIT:

New:
Firstly, let me apologize for the inconvenience that this has caused. In regards to the situation where multiple Worlds are showing as full, I wanted to let you all know that the population data on Lodestone is not shown in real time, and actually updates a few times throughout the day. Worlds that show as being full now, may not be later in the day. That said, we would ask that you please check back periodically to see whether or not the World you wish to transfer to is open.

This is stupid they had the time to do this properly, shaking my head at you every turn SE, every turn !

If small site like XIVpads can do this they have no excuse.

If a world is labeled as full does that mean you can't make a new character on it? I am going to start when the patch hits and wanted to be where there are people who actually play.

I would think they have left some gap for new players.

moemoland

omfg someone please tell me the class level isn't linked to the job level. Since most people have multiple 50s, what's the point of unlocking a job just to equip a few abilities then do jack shit and get bored again. Cant experience the jobs by leveling with friends unless you try the 2 new instances with a bunch of bronze league nubs. Was looking forward to leveling blm/whm/brd but I guess they're already 50. After the quests I'll get bored quick. I hope I'm wrong.

omfg someone please tell me the class level isn't linked to the job level. Since most people have multiple 50s, what's the point of unlocking a job just to equip a few abilities then do jack shit and get bored again. Cant experience the jobs by leveling with friends unless you try the 2 new instances with a bunch of bronze league nubs. Was looking forward to leveling blm/whm/brd but I guess they're already 50. After the quests I'll get bored quick. I hope I'm wrong.

Supposedly will change the dynamic of battling in parties and solo to an extreme level.

rybrad

I would think they have left some gap for new players.
I hope so!

Anyone know a good spot to get general beginner info on the game like classes, abilities, leveling (the weapon deciding your class thing is kinda confusing in regards to leveling) and that type of thing? I looked at the main FFXIV site but it is kind of janky.

I'm sticking to Aegis (Figaro) for now, but I might apply for a transfer when 2.0 is released. I'm so glad I mained Thaumaturge (with a side of Conjurer), because Black Mage is going to be amazing. I was planning on changing my Lalafel to a Male Mithra in 2.0 but the Lalas look so bad ass in the new black mage armor...

The casting changes look good. The progress they have made and are making really makes it hard for me to ever completely give up on this game.

I don't know how you can go back to tab-targeting, lock-on, and auto-attack after playing Tera. All MMOGs which use the archaic combat are now obsolete. Just looking at the list of targeting changes in FFXIV makes me laugh, just give me a crosshair and something to point it at, lol. That's all the targeting system anyone's ever needed. But it has taken a decade for MMOGs to evolve to this point.

Xux

I hope so!

Anyone know a good spot to get general beginner info on the game like classes, abilities, leveling (the weapon deciding your class thing is kinda confusing in regards to leveling) and that type of thing? I looked at the main FFXIV site but it is kind of janky.
A lot of them are out of date since the updates have changed the game quite a bit. The Play Guide on The Lodestone is probably the most up to date; just don't read the Beginner's Guide under Ask the Devs! 'cause that's really in need of updating.

The class thing isn't complicated at all. Each class is represented by a weapon type and has a separate level like the different Jobs in FFXI or if you're changing to a whole other character in another game. To switch a job you haven't leveled before you have to acquire the level one weapon for that class which you can buy in the Adventurer's Guilds that the opening stories all guide you to.

It'd probably be easier to just ask here or in another forum than to try and find a non-defunct website with a decent guide.

Allard

Rep Bayohne just posted some juicy info. We now know what the class requirements are to unlock the new jobs :)

Job Name Requirements
Paladin Gladiator lvl 30+, Conjurer lvl 15+
Monk Pugilist lvl 30+, Lancer lvl 15+
Warrior Marauder lvl 30+, Gladiator lvl 15+
Dragoon Lancer lvl 30+, Pugilist lvl 15+
Bard Archer lvl 30+, Conjurer lvl 15+
White Mage Conjurer lvl 30+, Gladiator lvl 15+
Black Mage Thaumaturge lvl 30+, Pugilist lvl 15+

Mature

Rep Bayohne just posted some juicy info. We now know what the class requirements are to unlock the new jobs :)

Job Name Requirements
What?? What!

Nakazato

Job Name Requirements

woot in there with my PUG :D

Allard

What?? What!

Think they wanted to mix it up a bit, remember the sub classes are more then requirements to get the job, they are also the only other class you will be allowed to pull abilities from. Guess they didn't want to make THM/CON and CON/THM so they went with the next best class to compliment what the job was all about. Pugilist has survival techniques and MP regen stuff along with abilities that are buffed by INT so its an 'unorthodox' natural fit. WHM is the support protector so I guess they wanted to give WHM the gladiator class that most fullfilled that. Giving Con to Paladin also makes sense, it would suck for a Paladin job to be blocked out of other healing spells outside of the one heal spell they get.

The only one that got the short end of the stick is WAR I think in its 'forced' sub but its also the least controversial. Looks like they want WAR to become a literal tank hybrid (Damage + Tank like aggro abilities) and Paladin will become the support tank, heals + damage mitigation and aggro abilities, but little actual damage.

Teknoman

Conjurer for Paladin?! -_- well better get cracking.

You'll have to take on the skill quests, AF quests, and whatever new instance and grand company stuff are there. Thats about it.

Nubbing it up can be fun since you wont really know how to use your job yet (need those skills first) and you'll teach others in the process.

Also you'll want to hit up the old instance dungeons for GC points.

EDIT: I'd like to have a warrior hybrid tank to back me up, or be the back up tank.

I wonder if there are any ill effects if you don't keep the second class at half of the level of the main class. For example my THM is 50 but my PGL is not 25, maybe my stats as a BLM will be lower than something who is THM 50/PGL 25. Or are the second classes just needed to unlock the job in the first place?

I haven't been on much lately since the patch delay kind of bummed me out and I've been working on my massive Steam backlog. That and I finally got all my crafters as high as I want them. I kind of want to finish off my battle classes but I don't know how I'm going to hold the gear for MRD and PGL when I'm always running around at 200/200.

I have to level Pugilist now I guess. :/

I don't know how you can go back to tab-targeting, lock-on, and auto-attack after playing Tera. All MMOGs which use the archaic combat are now obsolete. Just looking at the list of targeting changes in FFXIV makes me laugh, just give me a crosshair and something to point it at, lol. That's all the targeting system anyone's ever needed. But it has taken a decade for MMOGs to evolve to this point.

If they can bring back the party dynamic and level of challenge that made Final Fantasy XI so great in its first three years, I think I would be pretty happy. That said, I still share the sentiment, and beyond giving Final Fantasy XIV (2.0) a chance, I don't think I can ever play another MMO with traditional combat ever again.

Jinko

After playing Tera I don't feel this way, sure the combat is fun and targeting (or lack of having to target) is nice, but I don't have an issue going back to 14 or WoW style gameplay either.

It's kind of like the difference between playing an Action RPG and a turn based one, some people hate turn based because they can't go back to the old school way but others have no issue with it.

As for the job information, I'd like to know how the sub class effects the stats of the job. (for example is it like ff11 the higher the sub class the better the stats)

Guess I need to level PGL, I guess WHM gets sentinel lol.

1.21 Music samples

Riposte

I don't know why you come back to this thread after playing Tera.

Anyway, since I first played Continent of the Ninth four years ago I figured that "action" MMOs, probably a western breed, would have already replaced WoW by this time. Maybe it will come Guild Wars 2.

rybrad

A lot of them are out of date since the updates have changed the game quite a bit. The Play Guide on The Lodestone is probably the most up to date; just don't read the Beginner's Guide under Ask the Devs! 'cause that's really in need of updating.

The class thing isn't complicated at all. Each class is represented by a weapon type and has a separate level like the different Jobs in FFXI or if you're changing to a whole other character in another game. To switch a job you haven't leveled before you have to acquire the level one weapon for that class which you can buy in the Adventurer's Guilds that the opening stories all guide you to.

It'd probably be easier to just ask here or in another forum than to try and find a non-defunct website with a decent guide.
Cool, thanks for the info. The leveling stuff makes more sense now with your explanation. I thought you could just equip any random weapon you find and change classes which made the leveling seem weird to me.

Teknoman

Dracos

I'm trying to come back but when I log in now all I get is a steady R0. All my ports are forwarded, everything is the same from when I played a few months ago. Now I may get an R spike once every few minutes that refreshes the screen then back to R0. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to fix this?

Thanks

Riposte

Nobody turns up for events !!

You guys sucks... lol

Very sorry. Crunching on a lot of homework + helping my brother move.

EDIT: That was a bunch of classic songs from the series, not just FFIV's victory theme.

EDIT: logging in now.

Munba

Nice. It seems a well thought system on paper.

The most interesting part,

and features a sequence of special quests available at certain levels that unlock systems, abilities, and job-specific equipment. The series of job quests will not involve extremely difficult tasks such as fighting primals. Rather, they will be new game elements intended to boost character growth and motivate players.

Jijidasu

I'm trying to come back but when I log in now all I get is a steady R0. All my ports are forwarded, everything is the same from when I played a few months ago. Now I may get an R spike once every few minutes that refreshes the screen then back to R0. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to fix this?

Thanks

I have the exact same problem as you. There is no fix for this as of yet and I'm assuming it has to do with SE's server. I was able to get a steady connection using a pre-paid USB Internet device but the game is not worth a subscription fee + another connection on the side.

I'm hoping they'll have this cleared up by 2.0.

Teknoman

Nobody turns up for events !!

You guys sucks... lol

Hey I showed up for late moogle. We ended up helping a few other LSmates get the reqs done/do some low level exping for jobs though.

3443_1.jpg

The soul still burns.

EDIT: So technically jobs are like 3 classes in one + job skills?

What happens after a job change?
Job-specific actions

Players will be able to use job-specific actions.

Using other class-specific actions (by class)

When switched to a job, characters can still use the actions they learned for the base class. For example, when playing a paladin, gladiator actions will be automatically equipped and available for use.
&#12288;&#12288;&#12288;
For other class-specific actions, only actions from certain classes can be equipped by certain jobs, as per the table below:

izz12PioCYh4a.png

Mature

So WHM = CNJ + GLA + PUG

Is there anything WHM can pull from GLA or PUG that's useful? I just looked through both and nothing jumped out.

Also, can someone sum up the changes made to recipe revisions? Or is it largely the same with different ingredients?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom