• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cmagus

That is alot of stuff being removed. I gotta prepare for the 8th I guess need to finish up this paper then tonight so I can get on tomorrow night for it.

Allard

Also a reminder for people planning to play tonight, you might want to do all regional leves tonight and completely eviscerate your guardian favor since its being abolished the next day. Going to use all my favor doing gathering leves since I get a lot more use out of those unless I'm doing company leves :) ( <3 Bloody Hollow Company leve for leveling.)

Jinko

New interview with Yoshida.
http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/446/feature/6161/The-Future-of-FFXIV-Interview.html/page/1

MMORPG: In the Producer's Letter, you talk about changes to the UI, and also an overhaul of certain systems making it easier for mouse/keyboard users - are you focusing on streamlining FFXIV for those who do not opt for a joypad?

Yoshida: Of course. Currently, FFXIV is not yet available for the PS3, and when considering our global audience, I believe that many players will continue playing FFXIV on the PC. I&#8217;m also a big PC gamer, and I can say that we&#8217;re working to support a more intuitive interface for FFXIV, one which would allow players who are familiar with playing MMORPGs with a keyboard and mouse to easily feel at home when playing FFXIV. That is the main focus for FFXIV Version 2.0, which is why we&#8217;re fundamentally recreating the UI from the ground up. Once we reveal more detailed information, I think that our players will probably be quite amazed at how drastically the UI will be changed. Please look forward to this announcement (which should come pretty soon!).

Can not wait to see news for the new mouse and keyboard UI.

Also starting in 1.21 Guild Marks can be used to buy Materia I,II,III,IV, shards, crystals and clusters.

Also a reminder for people planning to play tonight, you might want to do all regional leves tonight and completely eviscerate your guardian favor since its being abolished the next day. Going to use all my favor doing gathering leves since I get a lot more use out of those unless I'm doing company leves :) ( <3 Bloody Hollow Company leve for leveling.)

Really? Is better system being put in its place? I need to read the 1.21 notes again. I missed that.

Allard

New interview with Yoshida.
http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/446/feature/6161/The-Future-of-FFXIV-Interview.html/page/1

Can not wait to see news for the new mouse and keyboard UI.

Also starting in 1.21 Guild Marks can be used to buy Materia I,II,III,IV, shards, crystals and clusters.

That should make my miner happy, I obtained every single guild item and more from the old system so I have a pretty ample supply of marks to use. I do have to say that I actually miss the actual guild mark system and hope something similar replaces it in the future. The idea you could 'grow' your character using daily stuff and had a very clear end goal is something currently missing from the game. I mainly liked that such a system was introduced early on instead of at end game like its done in every game under the sun these days. Instead of hitting cap and being confronted with a 'dailies' system for your characters growth you could start working on it as you leveled the class in FFXIV making me feel like it was okay to slowly level up, instead of seeing levels as merely barriers to get to the 'real' content of the game. I suppose company currency has replaced the mark system in a way (And maybe with the hamlet defense we will get more daily and spontaneous events to work on to get more currency) so I guess its just a waiting game to see how companies can help grow your character further.

As for the interview it was nice to get some more new information after nearly 6 months since Yoshida's last big interview circuit. Hopefully this is only the first of many.

Really? Is better system being put in its place? I need to read the 1.21 notes again. I missed that.

Guardians favor is being abolished and they are changing the EXP rewards for regionals to make them all similar to a 'favored' leve. They are replacing the daily EXP enhancement with the rested EXP system you get when you log out in an inn this patch.

rybrad

Making a character on Lindblum will make sure I automatically end up on Sargntanas, right? Or is there something else I need to do to make sure I end up in the same place as everyone else when the merge happens?

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Making a character on Lindblum will make sure I automatically end up on Sargntanas, right? Or is there something else I need to do to make sure I end up in the same place as everyone else when the merge happens?

Yeah I don't think you'll have an issue if you start on Lindblum now.

Teknoman

Guildmark farming time. Nice since I dont really like spiritbond parties that much.

EDIT: Oh GUILD MARKS. lol thought they meant the company seals. Well thats nice too...go ahead and exchange all that since they will be non-existent in 2.0.

Ravidrath

Hmm, damn - I was really hoping I'd be able to turn my Guildmarks into GC Seals... :\

The Cutter's Cry video was pretty cool, too - looking forward to seeing the other one, now.

Teknoman

Yoshida: Hamlet Defense contains elements that allow the entire world to engage in. While it&#8217;s certainly possible to make the content work for individual linkshells, it may be necessary to work together with the entire world in order to take on stronger enemies and obtain even greater rewards. Hamlet includes content centered around &#8220;resupplying&#8221; and &#8220;defending,&#8221; which are both closely intertwined. The act of defense features aspects which require not only battle classes, but also crafting and gathering classes, so it will require cohesion and cooperation amongst players. Unfortunately, as the content is very large in scale, it did not make it in time for patch 1.21.

MMORPG: Final Fantasy XIV has had a somewhat difficult launch, but with the constant stream of updates and refinements, things seem to be turning around for the better, how do you feel as the producer/director of the game's current state?

Yoshida: Thank you! I really appreciate your positivity. I believe that players would have enjoyed the game much more if it were released in the state it was in with patch 1.20 or will be in with 1.21. The bar at launch is set very high for current MMORPGs, due to increased player expectations. With patch 1.21 coming soon, I do feel slightly relieved, but as the producer/director, I still feel like there is much more to be done. Letters, delivery boxes, housing and PvP are all still missing. There is no guild system beyond linkshells either. Once these issues have been addressed, I feel like it will be time for us to go on the offensive. I will continue to set my goals high and do my best to reach them!

I know it's water under the bridge/pointless speculation, but after every interview, sometimes I wonder what would have happened if YoshiP was in charge from the get go.

Doubt it, I believe it wasn't the leadership but the size of team/funds SE kicked towards this project. I think SE shorted the first team and then only realized the mistake after the backlash.

Allard

Doubt it, I believe it wasn't the leadership but the size of team/funds SE kicked towards this project. I think SE shorted the first team and then only realized the mistake after the backlash.

Naw it was definitely the leadership. Tanaka was easily in the position after the success of FFXI to demand more funds or more time, the same with Komoto (although less on his side) but didn't. I simply blame the old guard of Square-Enix and them wanting to keep using the old design philosophies that just don't work in the modern era. Namely it is usually customary to have a small team work on concept and planning, and then barrage the development with a year or less out from release with artists and 3D modelers to finish up the rest of the game. The problem is asset building and testing takes a lot longer to do in the modern era and if changes need to be made, it might cause a huge delay due to this pipeline. So instead of seeing mistakes and changing them, they felt they could launch and change the game as they added new content much like FFXI's launch but they were so blind of the faults of the game and that it took the backlash of the launch to put them straight. The fact is we might call it old vs new, but really only 1 person was really fired from the project; Tanaka. The rest of the old crew is still in the new crew albeit some in different positions. The only real change is Yoshida and maybe the new battle director Matsui.

Teknoman

Still gets me since Wada should have known this was supposed going to be an immense undertaking...and that the amount of change between beta and retail was going to cause a massive backlash from all regions.

EDIT: Honestly thats all we needed was a new producer and battle director. I still feel bad for Uematsu since he really had no clue to how the environments would look. At least he created an amazing dungeon boss theme.

iBZd0uurmV1l.png

Naw it was definitely the leadership. Tanaka was easily in the position after the success of FFXI to demand more funds or more time, the same with Komoto (although less on his side) but didn't. I simply blame the old guard of Square-Enix and them wanting to keep using the old design philosophies that just don't work in the modern era. Namely it is usually customary to have a small team work on concept and planning, and then barrage the development with a year or less out from release with artists and 3D modelers to finish up the rest of the game. The problem is asset building and testing takes a lot longer to do in the modern era and if changes need to be made, it might cause a huge delay due to this pipeline. So instead of seeing mistakes and changing them, they felt they could launch and change the game as they added new content much like FFXI's launch but they were so blind of the faults of the game and that it took the backlash of the launch to put them straight. The fact is we might call it old vs new, but really only 1 person was really fired from the project; Tanaka. The rest of the old crew is still in the new crew albeit some in different positions. The only real change is Yoshida and maybe the new battle director Matsui.

I would have thought so initially but after the series of interviews that described the BTX of FFXIII and what was going on with the versus team, I really started being suspicious of SE's management of teams.

You are probably right, I just woulda figured the basic stuff shouldn't have been overlooked by people who worked on FFXI unless their hands were forced.

Jinko

That Dragon could be an interesting boss, Vrtra was one of my favourite bosses in 11, they definitely need something like that in this game.

I don't think that golem in the top left corner is in the game, going by the size difference in the hyur its not the golem we saw in the gridanian grand company quest.

Saying that Buffalo isn't anywhere near that big either.

rybrad

Got the game up and running but it runs like complete crap for me. I have a pretty decent setup (i7 processor, GTX580) and it is running at 60fps but the game is just stuttering along nonstop. Anyone else had a similar issue?

Make sure you turn off ambient occlusion it is by far the biggest resource hog and for minimal change in your games look. Also keep drawing quality close to standard and just up the resolution. Drawing quality is simply multi-sampling. If for some reason you think the game still runs like crap, change shadows to the second best setting. The high end shadow settings only applies some special self-shadowing that looks horrible up close anyways. All else fails you can turn off depth of field. Its overdone and in several instances only makes the game look worse.

Runs MUCH better, thank you!

Allard

Got the game up and running but it runs like complete crap for me. I have a pretty decent setup (i7 processor, GTX580) and it is running at 60fps but the game is just stuttering along nonstop. Anyone else had a similar issue?

Make sure you turn off ambient occlusion it is by far the biggest resource hog and for minimal change in your games look. Also keep drawing quality close to standard and just up the resolution. Drawing quality is simply multi-sampling. If for some reason you think the game still runs like crap, change shadows to the second best setting. The high end shadow settings only applies some special self-shadowing that looks horrible up close anyways. All else fails you can turn off depth of field. Its overdone and in several instances only makes the game look worse.

Riposte

I know it's water under the bridge/pointless speculation, but after every interview, sometimes I wonder what would have happened if YoshiP was in charge from the get go.

I don't know if I'd prefer it to be honest. Sometimes I question his desire to make something that isn't more typical of a MMORPG. I have no interest playing something like that. (Though I do wonder what if FFXIV as is now was released at launch.)

Jinko

Patch notes are up.. happy reading.
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/39024

3328_27.png

Other instance was the yellow sulphur place o/

Completed any one of the three &#8220;Into the Dark&#8221; Grand Company quests.

Bad news for some :(

CC tactics have been made subject to shortened effect duration for each time they are successfully used on a target. This trend continues until that target gains complete resistance against the tactic.

I like this !

(Example)
When drinking a Mega-potion (20% HP recovery, maximum 600)
A character with maximum HP of 2,000 recovers 400 HP.

I think that's too low, 50% would have been better, unless they plan a hyper/X-potion or something.

Loving the changes to the HQ crafting.

we can now
/search invite whm 45-50
:O

Looks like the level for AF is :-

Shoes - 45
Legs - 46
Gloves - 47
Head - 49
Body - 50
New weapons class/job - 50

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Nice patch notes!

Cant come soon enough!

Too bad this weekend i'm not in home and in 13 days in going for a month to Tokyo.

Whoa. Major Level 50 abilities (like Hundred Fists and Benediction) usable every 15 minutes.

Time to settle in with a cup of coffee and a bagel and take in all these patch notes.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Whoa. Major Level 50 abilities (like Hundred Fists and Benediction) usable every 15 minutes.

Time to settle in with a cup of coffee and a bagel and take in all these patch notes.

Yeah, 2h are coming back in 15 minutes duration.

Teknoman

Oh after all that pig tanking, now they want to make tempered will cancel knockbacks? lol either way I like the changes.

[dev1315] Player motion for the following weaponskills have been changed:
Goring Blade
Aura Pulse
Doomspike

Gotta check these out, also see the several new enemies. But yeah...hopefully everyone will want to do Into the Dark now, especially after finishing job and AF quests.

Bards have some really nice skills, and it seems they took the time to redo the ancient spells with Black Mage.

I got my pug to 15 but looking at the job abilities, I probably didn't need to rush at all.

There seems like alot to do. This will be fun trying this out.

Ravidrath

I was hoping for more GC quests, too, but looks like there's plenty of new quests and things to do.

Them improving drops from Darkhold is encouraging, too - hope this trend continues.

Jinko

Yea some of those good bits from DH give a lot of seals as well, will definitely want to do DH now to get me some seals.

Munba

[dev1315] Player motion for the following weaponskills have been changed:
Goring Blade
Aura Pulse
Doomspike

No new animations for GLA ws (that damn 'circle anim." for 3 ws) :(

Btw, great patch indeed. They added graphics to every food and drinks °_°

Oh this is going to be glorious, no TP on Second Wind, Doomspike potentially getting its awesome Jump animation back (or a new one entirely), Feint/Full Thrust not being garbage, MRD buffs, on top of the awesome Dragoon skills?

I'm gonna be a happy man come 6:00pm my time.

Ravidrath

Is the Purple/Yellow LS in there some racist Lalafell Power LS, come to oppress us tall people?

Also, Rollan Kyoji is cool - need to get back to running things with him.

Allard

New interview on massively for 1.21 from Yoshida.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/0...naoki-yoshida-talks-patch-1-21-and-the-futur/

Massively: Patch 1.21 contains many of the features that we've seen on the roadmap up to 2.0's release. How many more large patches can players expect before 2.0?

Naoki Yoshida: There are two more large patches planned before the release of version 2.0: 1.22 and 1.23. Of course, there will probably be a few smaller, incremental patches, such as 1.21a and 1.22b, in between. Upcoming content includes a battle against the primal Garuda as well as battles leading up to the Seventh Umbral Era event, not to mention the debut of Hamlet Defense, too!

Patch 1.21 contains further adjustments to individual class abilities. Which class does the team feel is in need of the most adjustment?

We've actually adjusted each class quite extensively, so from here on out, I think it will be up to the feedback provided by players who spend the most time playing the classes to determine which classes need adjustment. Personally, I would like to focus on debuffs and crowd control, but there are only two classes and two jobs that use spells, so I would like to add another caster-type class to address this issue. I feel that each job is unique and interesting, so you should try them all!

Will the content for unlocking various jobs require a full party?

This depends on the level of your character when attempting to unlock a job. The job quests begin at level 30, but you can certainly still tackle the quests at level 50. Of course, if you're level 50, it will probably be possible to solo some content that was originally intended for light parties of four players. However, the final quest may require a full party of level 50 characters to complete as I would like players to work together to obtain their jobs.

There's been a mention of new gear slots for job equipment; can you tell us anything about how that will work?

When you finish the quest to obtain a job, you will receive an item called a "soul crystal" that is unique to each job. A designated job slot will be added to your available gear slots so that you can change jobs simply by setting the soul crystal of the desired job.

Is chocobo barding meant to be a solely cosmetic upgrade or will it have a gameplay effect?

The objective of the current implementation of chocobo barding is intended to allow for customized appearances. There will be no effect on gameplay, such as armor with increased speed or the addition of utilities while in battle. We simply wish for players to be able to run around freely on their personally customized chocobos. Following the 2.0 re-launch, it will be possible to level up chocobos and equip them with gear that will feature their own unique stats.

With the reworking of how food and medicine buffs function, is there any concern over making medicines less useful in the long run?

While the duration of medicine effects are short, they contain extremely useful effects such as healing abilities and the ability to instantly boost stats, which make them very useful in a pinch. They are being created with the idea that they will be used strategically while adventuring. Therefore, the short effect-duration is a trade-off for their strong effect. Of course, we'll continue to look into adjustments based on player feedback, but for now, I believe we were able to accomplish what we wanted to with the adjustment.

Considering the experience adjustments and the new food buff to experience, should players expect an overall increase or decrease in leveling speed?

Food effects have always contained an EXP bonus, so I don't believe that the adjustments will result in any changes in the overall leveling speed. I believe that the rested benefits from inns will be more significant. Many players may cut down on their playtime until the launch of version 2.0, so with that in mind, I wanted to slightly increase leveling speed in order to decrease the level gaps between players and at the same time allow new players to get a chance to catch up and play with current players. This does not mean that the leveling speed will remain higher after version 2.0, but we decided on this adjustment for now to make it easier for players to invite friends to over to FFXIV.

Will rested benefits apply to Disciples of the Land and of the Hand?

That's right, the rested benefits will apply to all classes.

Last but not least, what's the feature you and the team are most proud of in 1.21?

I'd have to say that would have to be the difficulty of the two new instanced raids. Two dungeons that are much more difficult than Dzemael Darkhold are going to be implemented, so give them a shot because plenty of awesome rewards await! The job-specific gear looks amazing, too! We're very confident that players will feel the Final Fantasy vibe by equipping a complete full set of artifact gear!

Sounds like the Job quests might be done in a similar mold to the old FFXI AF quests. 80% of the stuff is soloed but some elements require light parties and the final part of the last quest requires a full party of high levels.

Edit: Download is up.

Allard

They said the AF weapons didn't make it into 1.21, right? That they were going to be hard to get and in 1.22?

They never said specifically when the weapons were coming but yes they did say they were going to be hard to get. Right now they are just uploading weapons into the games data but they won't be coming this patch. Much like how BLM gear was seen as far back as summer last year :p

Cmagus

Interesting stuff about the quests. Who all is going for Dragoon maybe we can get a Dragoon party going and head out to do the content.

Allard

The stats on the Paladin Coronet is amazing. Monk stuff seems to be mostly weaponskill and ability modifer stats (25 INT heh, well they did say main attack attributes were boosted for classes so maybe that will make a huge difference). Drachen Mail is +7 PIE and STR with 7 Attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom