• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teknoman

So WHM = CNJ + GLA + PUG

Is there anything WHM can pull from GLA or PUG that's useful? I just looked through both and nothing jumped out.

Also, can someone sum up the changes made to recipe revisions? Or is it largely the same with different ingredients?

Sentinel helps alot. I guess some of the shield abilities if you're a one hand wand user. Pugilist, second wind and featherfoot if you get aggro. Speaking of which, I guess I need to go ahead and start leveling that tomorrow.

Levels and experience points will not change from the base class.

For example, if a gladiator (level 40, 1000 EXP) switches to the paladin job, level and experience points will not change. Experience points acquired as a paladin will be kept when the character switches back to the gladiator class.

What does this mean exactly? The new Jobs have their own levels alongside class requirements?

Cmagus

I hope they re-balance the Ifirit and Moogles fight to accommodate. Seeing as Dragoon won't have access to skills like sentinel anymore surviving hell fire would be very difficult. I think they will though or the game will face the same problem of class stacking which like some of us discussed tonight is abit tiresome.

I hope they release some more info on new gear as well I am interested to see how many new pieces each class will get.

Jinko

So WHM = CNJ + GLA + PUG

Is there anything WHM can pull from GLA or PUG that's useful? I just looked through both and nothing jumped out.

Also, can someone sum up the changes made to recipe revisions? Or is it largely the same with different ingredients?

Sentinel and Second Wind (if you have TP) are always handy, I suppose in Moogle featherfoot may come in useful, MP back and increased evasion.

I think they are using the same ingredients but different combinations, I've not seen Tinolqa Mistletoe before though, so maybe some new items aswell.

No new recipes for Clusters which is disappointing.

Teknoman

Yeah, they are just saying that whatever exp you get while playing as a job, gets fed back into the base class.

Also:

ジョブとクラスの専用装備については、
For Job and Class specific equipment:
ジョブ専用装備・・・パーティプレイ特化のパラメータに
JSE - Has parameters aimed towards increasing party play
クラス専用装備・・・ソロプレイを意識しつつ、汎用性を持たせたパラメータに
CSE - Has parameters for more overall use keeping solo play in mind.

と、それぞれ方向性を分けることを検討しています。
まだまだ調整/検討中の段階ではありますが、また進捗があればお知らせいたします。
We are looking into separating the direction the gears (JSE/CSE) are goign to take.
We are still at the stage of making adjustments and looking into this but once we have an update will let you know.

rybrad

Is the job stuff pretty much just something to mess around with at end game or what? Should I be picking a class to level with a job in mind or just focus on a class?

Cmagus

Is the job stuff pretty much just something to mess around with at end game or what? Should I be picking a class to level with a job in mind or just focus on a class?

Depends what you are interested in really. My personal opinion is I would focus on leveling all the jobs regardless at this point. Initially I'd focus on one that you really want but knowing the way this game ends up going some strategy will be found for whatever event making certain classes more desirable. I don't see them balancing much at this point but I could be wrong.

Teknoman

I just hope the jobs really do work much better in parties than classes. Looking at how they're 3 classes put together + extra job abilities, they seem pretty close to what the team made them out to be...but I guess in game battles will prove that.

The comment on Job Specific Equipment and Class Specific Equipment seems to drive that point as well.

This is pretty much how I expected things to work, so no surprises there. I wonder why they don't just cap the classes at 30 so all players start using the new job system at that point? I guess they want to leave the base class system and broader cross class abilities for solo play.

Teknoman

This is pretty much how I expected things to work, so no surprises there. I wonder why they don't just cap the classes at 30 so all players start using the new job system at that point? I guess they want to leave the base class system and broader cross class abilities for solo play.

Even still, looking at the job abilities + class that they're able to access, some jobs seem like they would still be great for soloing. Of course after more class specific equipment is implemented, then we'll probably see a clear difference. Hopefully Black Mage + Freeze (Blizzaga?) will put a huge dent in Ifrit. Glad Paladin gets to keep provoke...because now i'll get to be the ultimate tank. Not sure how far I should push conjurer though...unless the higher tier cure spells are that much better, regardless of aoe.

Toth

The way I see it is that the base classes are far more flexible in what you can equip. A THM can use a shield and shield skills for example as well as Stoneskin, Cure, the AoE ability, and CON elemental skills. A BLM however cannot use any of the skills and trades them off for Convert, more crowd control spells, and additional damage spells. So you can see that are situations when both would be more desirable. DD jobs not able to use PUG and MAR lose Bloodbath, Second Wind, and other great abilities. You can remain as a class and keep those abilities, which can be more beneficial in some situations then their job abilities.

rybrad

Depends what you are interested in really. My personal opinion is I would focus on leveling all the jobs regardless at this point. Initially I'd focus on one that you really want but knowing the way this game ends up going some strategy will be found for whatever event making certain classes more desirable. I don't see them balancing much at this point but I could be wrong.
The way I see it is that the base classes are far more flexible in what you can equip. A THM can use a shield and shield skills for example as well as Stoneskin, Cure, the AoE ability, and CON elemental skills. A BLM however cannot use any of the skills and trades them off for Convert, more crowd control spells, and additional damage spells. So you can see that are situations when both would be more desirable. DD jobs not able to use PUG and MAR lose Bloodbath, Second Wind, and other great abilities. You can remain as a class and keep those abilities, which can be more beneficial in some situations then their job abilities.
Thanks, that makes more sense to me now. One last question, how long is the trip to 50? Is leveling multiple classes possible without insane grinds?

Cmagus

Thanks, that makes more sense to me now. One last question, how long is the trip to 50? Is leveling multiple classes possible without insane grinds?

It depends it can go really slow or fast depending if you can get into good exp parties. Generally if your playing with us on Lindblum someone can help you out with some exp and what not. Honestly focus on a single new class for now that you would like to play most.

The reason I suggest this since from your post I assume you have lower classes is that maybe they will change enough and balance things out so that you don't need to do all the classes. If this is the case then less worry but if they mess up and things become unbalanced then we can get your classes up in no time with exp and PL parties.

Hopefully Black Mage + Freeze (Blizzaga?) will put a huge dent in Ifrit.

That depends on how much enmity reduction the new skills have and how much hate paladins can put out. Currently as a THM enmity meter is red the entire time just using Thunder/Thundara and using Chameleon at every chance. Even using Thundaga at this point is out of the question unless I'm trying to kill Mfor or something.

Ravidrath

I'm not really thrilled about the arbitrary other class skills being usable.

I mean, BLM being able to use ARC abilities makes gameplay sense, but... couldn't they have designed new abilities? Or given them traits?

It just seems mushy and confusing that they can all use skills from a class that isn't a prereq. Not to mention that means it's going to take leveling three Classes to play one Job well.

Ravidrath

I wonder if Pug stances will increae the damage done by thm and cnj spells

I don't see why they would... and mages' MP would probably be better used elsewhere.

Right now, it seems like after you get Second Wind and Featherfoot, there's nothing else for WHM or BLM to want to use.

And while I see a use for Sentinel and Rampart on WHM, that's about the only abilities they have that will be useful. But they both have the downside of generating massive enmity, which WHM certainly doesn't want.

Arol

I searched for this thread too late.

Anyways I just started playing is anyone on Gysahl server? Or the eventual server merger that is going to occur?

Jinko

I posted my times, you're events are too early :eek:

You times are too late :eek:

Making the late run later is no problem, I have nothing to do with that run lol

Not to mention that means it's going to take leveling three Classes to play one Job well.

To be honest I don't think the cross class skills are that important, maybe raise and sentinel will come in handy for other jobs but I don't think you will lose a great deal if you only decide to stick with the 2 classes required to unlock the job.

Allard

You times are too late :eek:

Making the late run later is no problem, I have nothing to do with that run lol

To be honest I don't think the cross class skills are that important, maybe raise and sentinel will come in handy for other jobs but I don't think you will lose a great deal if you only decide to stick with the 2 classes required to unlock the job.

Not to mention they cut the cross class ability pool in half. There is only a handful of abilities you can use cross class in the higher levels, some might end up being integral down the line (Chameleon for Archer, I think an enmity shedding ability could be useful for BLM :p) but for the most part you won't need to level the classes beyond lvl 36 or so. No different then sub leveling in FFXI in a way.

Arol

Yup, you need to keep your eye on Sargatanas when a triangle appears next to its name on the server merge page.

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/rc/worldapplication/form

Couldn't I just delete my character and choose Lindblum? I'm only level 4 or 5? It was a couple of hours of play time anyways.

You guys were seriously confusing me for a second when you kept saying Sargatanas. That's when the server merge later this month right?

Anyways I'm going off the OT and assuming it is Lindblum unless you guys are in Saronia.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Couldn't I just delete my character and choose Lindblum? I'm only level 4 or 5? It was a couple of hours of play time anyways.

You guys were seriously confusing me for a second when you kept saying Sargatanas. That's when the server merge later this month right?

Anyways I'm going off the OT and assuming it is Lindblum unless you guys are in Saronia.

Lindblum

It just seems mushy and confusing that they can all use skills from a class that isn't a prereq. Not to mention that means it's going to take leveling three Classes to play one Job well.

This is strikingly similar to how the Armory system worked at launch. You pretty much wanted a skill or trait from every job at 20-ish.

Jinko

Finally I can clean my retainer out :-

Naoki_Yoshida said:
Producer/Director Yoshida here.
I’d like to inform you of the current status.

There was old data used in development that was mixed into the list of recipes that was posted on topics (materials and recipes themselves) and we are currently making the necessary edits to this content.

In order to prevent any more confusion, we have taken down the recipes that were released on topics and will be posting the corrected list tomorrow.

Also, when this is done we plan on updating the vague list that was announced previously for items that may not be used in recipes by breaking it down into two lists: “items that we will definitely not use in the future” and “items that we will possibly reuse name wise.”

Today we are doing exhaustive checks between the development side and the list, and we will be releasing the list tomorrow for everyone to see. We apologize for any confusion this might have caused, but please sit tight for the official list to be released.

Please note that there have been no changes to the patch release date at this time due to this.
Once again, I am sorry for any trouble this has caused.

Naoki_Yoshida said:
You weren’t able to make it so what we see is an animation, but internally the character is turning around instantly?
I will go ahead and answer this for the animation team as well.
We’ve performed tests on everything, including the suggested method.

As I commented in my previous post, heavy focus has been placed on quick movements for the /facetarget command.

Taking into account continuous usage, there were cases where the character would stop and do a 180 without movement. Also, in the case that there is a delay between the internal line of sight check and the animation, the casting animation would begin mid-turn.

Furthermore, in the case of spells with a short casting time, graphics were affected drastically when continuously using /facetarget and instantly casting. After using /facetarget, in the case of moving mid-turn or using a weaponskill mid-turn animation, I am sure there would have been comments saying “My feet are sliding when I change direction…what is this? This isn’t FF!”
(The current FFXIV system does not separate upper and lower body animation movements.)

With all this said, there are things that we can and can’t do in regards to differences between the input and what is seen. There is also a difference in the priority between game functionality and graphical display. Where to draw the line is quite difficult since this is FINAL FANTASY, but this was my decision as it I felt the trade-offs were unacceptable.

I feel that visuals should continue to be one of the strongest assets of FFXIV going forward and I would really like you to continue to pay attention to stylish and cool visuals.
As a FINAL FANTASY, we have every intention of paying attention to this, but with your comment I will be sure to take this into account even more and it will be reflected in future updates and 2.0!

Teknoman

We all know thats not happening then lol. I wonder if it has to be a OT2 or just a whole other OT since the OP has alot of completely outdated info. Kinda funny that this one OT spans 2 years.

B-B-But guys...!

...I don't wanna level ARC. :<

Me either dude. Of course with the jobs only having 5 skills they can cross class you might be able to get away with still not leveling ARC unless you really, really need Chameleon (aka the only useful high level ARC skill that other classes can use).

Jinko

Well thats a bit of a let down, "lets just reuse copperbell mines"

Jobs look cool though.

As announced on the official FINAL FANTASY XIV Forums, we have identified an issue wherein materia attached to a player&#8217;s equipment may get lost when the server goes down for maintenance work. If you notice that your materia is missing after the conclusion of this maintenance, please place a GM call. A GM will conduct an investigation and provide maximum support to restore your materia. You can avoid running into this issue by equipping the item which the materia is attached to or storing it on a retainer before the maintenance starts.

This problem will be fixed with patch 1.21 and will not reoccur in subsequent server takedowns.

LOL

Teknoman

Quicksand spots and Chimeras huh? I guess you have to find the right quicksand drop spot to progress this time?

A day early huh? I still have not hit 15 with pug yet, but that is ok. I just have some goals to work towards.

Same here...at least for more Warrior skills to opt into. Also glad they showed a diverse party...but thats to be expected.

Allard

A day early huh? I still have not hit 15 with pug yet, but that is ok. I just have some goals to work towards.

Well technically it was always possible to come out on the 8th over here. Remember the statement was December 9th coming from Yoshida in Japan. When the patch hits it will be December 9th in Japan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom