• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone else found crafting to be ridiculous easy now?

My first leve I got up to rank 4 on Blacksmith and Armorer. I'm using the gloves, so maybe that's it.

Remember to the new people crafting. When you get materials for a leve, they usually give you more than you need. So if you get 4 tries, do all 4 even if you complete the 2 in 2 attempts. Free skill and exp =)

OSHAN

Does anyone know if you delete your character and start on a different server then you'll lose your onion helm, or will your new character start with it? Thanks.

Amneisac

OSHAN said:
Does anyone know if you delete your character and start on a different server then you'll lose your onion helm, or will your new character start with it? Thanks.

As I understand it, all characters start with all the bonus items in their inventory.

Amneisac

demosthenes said:

My first leve I got up to rank 4 on Blacksmith and Armorer. I'm using the gloves, so maybe that's it.

Remember to the new people crafting. When you get materials for a leve, they usually give you more than you need. So if you get 4 tries, do all 4 even if you complete the 2 in 2 attempts. Free skill and exp =)

I enjoyed the crafting and I thought it was easy, I'm really thinking that the lack of any kind of unified search option on goods (AUCTION HOUSE) is going to slow things down pretty quickly. Most of the worthwhile recipes require goods from other professions, so you either level them all yourself or go bazaar hunting for hours.

Canti

Game finally arrived, created a character but Lindblum isn't showing up on server list again T_T Guess I'll try again later.

OSHAN said:

Pretty sure I read that every time you make a char you'll get the items.

Also, the talk on server populations, it will even out eventually, especially when next week rolls around.

JudgeN

Shit I misspelled my name and now I want to start over, but Figaro isn't on the list. They need to bring these servers back now.

Amneisac

Are there any sackholders on this morning? I have a FFXI friend who would like to join the LS.

Name: Elodie Laurent (most likely near Gridania)

Londa

Banned
for some reason my account isn't under United States. So that is why I can't use Crysta. I don't know how to even change my account to United States. I never even put my account under North America. Something went wrong on their side.

Amneisac

HAttyboy said:
What happen with the 2 hours maintenance?

At the following time, we will be performing maintenance on FINAL FANTASY XIV. During this period, FINAL FANTASY XIV will be unavailable.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

[Date & Time]
Sep. 23, 2010 9:00 to 12:00 (PDT)
* Maintenance completion time may be subject to change.

[Affected Service]
- FINAL FANTASY XIV

The big one hasn't happened yet.

HAttyboy

Amneisac said:
At the following time, we will be performing maintenance on FINAL FANTASY XIV. During this period, FINAL FANTASY XIV will be unavailable.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

[Date & Time]
Sep. 23, 2010 9:00 to 12:00 (PDT)
* Maintenance completion time may be subject to change.

[Affected Service]
- FINAL FANTASY XIV

The big one hasn't happened yet.
For me it says 16:00 to 19:00 GMT and it is now 16:40

Jinko

Londa said:
for some reason my account isn't under United States. So that is why I can't use Crysta. I don't know how to even change my account to United States. I never even put my account under North America. Something went wrong on their side.

When they did maint before the open beta, you would get a choice when you first signed into your SE account to choose the country you lived in.

I am guessing to change it you will need to call SE customer services.

I enjoyed the crafting and I thought it was easy, I'm really thinking that the lack of any kind of unified search option on goods (AUCTION HOUSE) is going to slow things down pretty quickly. Most of the worthwhile recipes require goods from other professions, so you either level them all yourself or go bazaar hunting for hours.

This a million times.

It's easy to gain levels as a crafter making small material items, but when you actually want to make something of significance you soon realise its almost impossible to find the items without making them yourself.

For example to make a Harpoon, to make the blade I need to find fish glue, but no NPC's sell it, I have a level 9 alchemist who can make it but then I need to find the fish to make the glue... So then I'm forced to level fishing which fills my inventory with shit i can't sell.

This is where an AH would be great, I could probably either find the fish or the glue on there, but no SE have to be assholes and do this crappy retainer system.

Of course all this effort is for just one ingredient and i have to do this 5 times, at this rate I can't see me lasting past my free month. (unless they add an AH of course)

kiryogi

Banned
So we actually got a pretty good party going in Limsa. Did some lv10 leves, and then proceeded to go hunting...

And the journey begins.
http://www.taleschannel.org/Guide/FFXIV1.png

The entire crew shamefully wearing onion helms after getting wiped by bees
http://www.taleschannel.org/Guide/FFXIV2.png

Payback to the bees!
http://www.taleschannel.org/Guide/FFXIV3.png

Our party grows, and we slew jellyfish, but it was not without causalities.
http://www.taleschannel.org/Guide/FFXIV4.png

I'm really not sure whose bright idea was it to aggravate this beast. I made sure to say no way in hell I was going in first.
http://www.taleschannel.org/Guide/FFXIV5.png

Oh no, gooblue is pissed and Taru Taru is dead.
http://www.taleschannel.org/Guide/FFXIV6.png

The now even bigger party tries to take on a goat and fail doing so.
http://www.taleschannel.org/Guide/FFXIV7.png

And then we have our attempt at a giant enemy crab. Not pretty.
http://www.taleschannel.org/Guide/FFXIV8.png

Cathcart

demosthenes said:

It's not the gloves, crafting is easier. In OB I got a lot of flashy yellow/white orbs and my success rate was low no matter what I did with them so I started waiting to try and get a solid color. In OB getting a solid color wasn't always possible even with four waits but in live I usually got a solid color after 2 or 3 waits. I also got flashy colors a lot less, I was getting white orbs like 3 or more tries in a row after rapid successes. It just seems more forgiving all around.

Skill up rate seems about the same but because you get an extra set of mats per leve you level up more. I just did leves in Gridania in Uldah and got CRP to 8 without using any mats of my own. Of course, that's rank 8. I'm assuming before long we'll get to a point where 8 leves maybe gets you a few percentage points of a rank and it will get grindier and expensive. But the good news is that it should be pretty easy to get all of the crafts at least to 10 and pick up those bonus traits. So that rocks. Everyone can get to 10 or maybe 20, really dedicated people will get to 50.

I know it hasn't been out there too long yet, but for all the beta haters out there who bought the CE and are playing early... how is it compared to the beta?

Ronok

kiryogi said:
So we actually got a pretty good party going in Limsa. Did some lv10 leves, and then proceeded to go hunting...

And the journey begins.
http://www.taleschannel.org/Guide/FFXIV1.png

The entire crew shamefully wearing onion helms after getting wiped by bees
http://www.taleschannel.org/Guide/FFXIV2.png

Payback to the bees!
http://www.taleschannel.org/Guide/FFXIV3.png

Our party grows, and we slew jellyfish, but it was not without causalities.
http://www.taleschannel.org/Guide/FFXIV4.png

I'm really not sure whose bright idea was it to aggravate this beast. I made sure to say no way in hell I was going in first.
http://www.taleschannel.org/Guide/FFXIV5.png

Oh no, gooblue is pissed and Taru Taru is dead.
http://www.taleschannel.org/Guide/FFXIV6.png

The now even bigger party tries to take on a goat and fail doing so.
http://www.taleschannel.org/Guide/FFXIV7.png

And then we have our attempt at a giant enemy crab. Not pretty.
http://www.taleschannel.org/Guide/FFXIV8.png

That party was really fun. In fact 3 of us continued until about 15-20 mins ago. That was more fun then I ever had on the beta. :lol

Cathcart

Suikoguy said:
Does retail have more story quests?

Sort of. Basically you're going to get some story quests every ten ranks. So new story quests have been added beyond rank 20 but if you didn't get a job past rank 20 in the beta you can probably expect the same amount of story until you rank up some more. It's not like all of a sudden you're running story quests every night. Or every week...

Londa

Banned
I can't even believe they have me under Guatemala has my Country. I know I never select Guatemala...

I can't change this in account services and I tried contacting them directly but you can only email and chat with them. The chat is down, and I have emailed them, but I have no idea when I'll get an answer back.

So I guess I just lost my CE to some shitty glitch...

Teknoman

Londa said:
I can't even believe they have me under Guatemala has my Country. I know I never select Guatemala...

I can't change this in account services and I tried contacting them directly but you can only email and chat with them. The chat is down, and I have emailed them, but I have no idea when I'll get an answer back.

So I guess I just lost my CE to some shitty glitch...

Do you remember what country it was set to under the beta?

Cathcart said:
Sort of. Basically you're going to get some story quests every ten ranks. So new story quests have been added beyond rank 20 but if you didn't get a job past rank 20 in the beta you can probably expect the same amount of story until you rank up some more. It's not like all of a sudden you're running story quests every night. Or every week...
Don't forget there are also new guild stories for every class, though I'm not sure at what point they kick in. Also some of the higher level Leves are supposed to be story based I believe.

Cathcart

Dreamwriter said:
Don't forget there are also new guild stories for every class, though I'm not sure at what point try kick in.

Yeah I didn't forget. I'm looking forward to those but I'm wondering how much story there really is in the class quests. It sounds like they will lead to cool rewards for each class but I'm not actually expecting much in the way of story. There's no way they made 18 separate storylines for job quests. I mean it would be awesome, but I'm not holding my breath.

And yeah, I'm psyched for the high level leves, especially the ones that combine the crafting and fighting classes.

I'm really starting to enjoy this game now. But Dear God, I'm running around like a headless chicken half the time. I've been doing the first Main Quests and finding the right NPC to speak to is trial and error. Why doesn't the quest location show up on the map and not just the Journal Map, so I don't have to keep referring to it? Why isn't there an arrow or marker on screen to show you the NPC to talk to?
This game really needs to be made easier to follow. There's virtually no guide to the game (not including the fan sites. I meant in the game itself). I'm finding things out slowly though and it's starting to come together. But boy, I haven't a clue what's going on half the time! :lol

Still pissed that I can't Alt-Tab out though.

Cathcart said:
There's no way they made 18 separate storylines for job quests.
Why so cynical? FFXI had some pretty intricate intertwined stories just for some of the random NPC quests. And every job had detailed stories for getting their cool armor, and of course unlocking sub jobs each had its own story, and even unlocking Chocobos had a little story (which connected to the Beastmaster unlocking story). FFXI was filled with story quests, I don't see it being a big thing for this game to do something similar.

nataku

Character has been made on Lindblun. A Lancer named Veplerion Vifnir. I ended up going Roegadyn in the end. None of the other races have as many good beard options unless you pick the old man faces.

Started in Ul'dah... As a Sea Wolf Male.

jiggle

Can you merge service accounts yet?

ediit: nope don't look like it is. that's good i guess, won't tempt me to wipe my character

Ravidrath

Enjoying myself so far - the game does feel a lot smoother now than it did in the beta.

Haven't messed with gathering or crafting yet, but will start once the servers are back up.

I'm going to try and make myself a Maple Wand, to start.

We'll see how that goes, 'cause I'm going to need to do a lot to get it if I can't find people to buy the mats from.

Londa said:
because my card and billing address isn't in Guatemala. Crysta isn't allowed in Guatemala, so I can't use paypal

So wait a day and explain to SE that they fked up? Don't let their mess up earn them more money.

zlatko

Banned
Londa said:
because my card and billing address isn't in Guatemala. Crysta isn't allowed in Guatemala, so I can't use paypal

Just use Click and buy link that they give you on there. Buy the crysta through that and you should be good to go.

How was the lag for everyone before servers went down? For me it was absolutely horrendous. I never encountered really any lag during open beta on Selbina server, but the few hours I played so far today were really shitty. Even yesterday was fine. I had people popping in on my screen super late, doors that wouldn't open for 5+ seconds. My R was 500-1000.

Jinko

valenti said:
dang how to farm 40k gold..

Do the leves on 2-3 stars with a group, then when you give them in the next day you will get a bonus on the reward you recieve for the next leve.

You can get 10-12k a leve for rank 10 if you do it this way.

Jinko said:
Do the leves on 2-3 stars with a group, then when you give them in the next day you will get a bonus on the reward you recieve for the next leve.

You can get 10-12k a leve for rank 10 if you do it this way.

Ohhh, good idea!

Seems silly to lock out the devoted fans from playing on the server they want too, they should implement that stuff right before the 30th imo.

Oh well, Im not in a big rush, but I hope I can find time to sneak my character into Lindblum or whatever its called to play with my friends this weekend.

Londa

Banned
zlatko said:
Just use Click and buy link that they give you on there. Buy the crysta through that and you should be good to go.

How was the lag for everyone before servers went down? For me it was absolutely horrendous. I never encountered really any lag during open beta on Selbina server, but the few hours I played so far today were really shitty. Even yesterday was fine. I had people popping in on my screen super late, doors that wouldn't open for 5+ seconds. My R was 500-1000.

can't do Click and buy with debit

Caj814

Considering I just started a new job and there still seems to be a lot of problems, I doubt I'll be playing FFXIV for awhile now. Hopefully playing catch up won't be too bad if I eventually do play and everyone here is at max level :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom