• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravidrath

So I've been playing super casually on and off the last couple weeks. It's been fun but kind of lonely since no one talks in the game. Is there a gaf linkshell on Sargatanas, or really any kind of linkshell at all that takes in new players? I need people to talk to.

Yeah, there's a GAF LS, and a ton of members.

I'm Ravidrath Astolph in-game - send me a /tell, or tell me your character's name so I can look for you.

Yeah, there's a GAF LS, and a ton of members.

I'm Ravidrath Astolph in-game - send me a /tell, or tell me your character's name so I can look for you.

Thanks, this is a gamechanger. It's kind of crazy how quiet the rest of the game is when you're not in a linkshell. I've even partied with a few people so far, and all I got was a bow.

Teknoman

Thanks, this is a gamechanger. It's kind of crazy how quiet the rest of the game is when you're not in a linkshell. I've even partied with a few people so far, and all I got was a bow.

Its totally different from how things were in XI, thats for sure. It gets pretty talkative once a new patch hits/during some live event or Garlean attack...maybe small talk near a primal's lair but thats about it unfortunately.

Actually seemed to be a problem in the GW2 beta test event...and even XBL to a lesser extent, so i'm not sure if its just the gaming community as a whole, or just pure coincidence.

Allard

Its totally different from how things were in XI, thats for sure. It gets pretty talkative once a new patch hits/during some live event or Garlean attack...maybe small talk near a primal's lair but thats about it unfortunately.

Actually seemed to be a problem in the GW2 beta test event...and even XBL to a lesser extent, so i'm not sure if its just the gaming community as a whole, or just pure coincidence.

The things I have found if you don't need to talk to anyone to do content that's what most people do. In FFXI people got forced into parties all the time mostly pick up groups and when you weren't in a group you got huddled into the hub waiting to get invited to one. People had drama and shouts through out the hubs etc. as they wasted time XD. I'm not sure it can or will ever be replicated again in the near future with the direction MMO's are going in but maybe when we get more large scale content (Alliance content is coming in 2.0) we might see more random non ls people get together and do content and start talking with each other. Basically when most of the content demands people to make friends, people start making friends or chatty conversation with as many people as they could so they can start building a personal reputation.

Jinko

I never thought FF11 was that great for community, the majority of people I met in 11 were either elitist snobs or complete pricks .. lol

Sure there were some cool people, but they were few and far between.

I'm just glad we have a good bunch of people in the LS, I would have quit this game ages ago I think if it wasn't for Red Dot.

So what's up with the subscription fees? If I buy the game this summer (before 2.0 is released), will I pay 9.99$ per month even after the patch, so forever? Because I've heard that players pre-2.0 get some sort of "thank you" from SE; basically, a special price just for them. True?

Munba

I always met good and kind people in FF11... it was full of them. In ff14 it's more difficult socialize.. for now.

Jinko

So what's up with the subscription fees? If I buy the game this summer (before 2.0 is released), will I pay 9.99$ per month even after the patch, so forever? Because I've heard that players pre-2.0 get some sort of "thank you" from SE; basically, a special price just for them. True?

You have to subscribe for a minimum of 90 consecutive days prior to 2.0.

I think they said they would announce at what time the last chance would be to subscribe.

If you buy 90 days now you will be eligible though.

I never thought FF11 was that great for community, the majority of people I met in 11 were either elitist snobs or complete pricks .. lol

Sure there were some cool people, but they were few and far between.

I'm just glad we have a good bunch of people in the LS, I would have quit this game ages ago I think if it wasn't for Red Dot.

Same here.

I love you guys!!!!!!!!!!!

*sniffle*

I bought the special edition at launch and i stopped playing after about a month after release.

I want to try it out again to see how it has changed is there any free trials i can get to check it out again?

Fox the Sly

You have to subscribe for a minimum of 90 consecutive days prior to 2.0.

I think they said they would announce at what time the last chance would be to subscribe.

If you buy 90 days now you will be eligible though.

Cumulative days (since Jan. 6 2012 for anyone wondering). But it might as well be consecutive. :p

kiryogi

Banned
I bought the special edition at launch and i stopped playing after about a month after release.

I want to try it out again to see how it has changed is there any free trials i can get to check it out again?

May9th-May20th is the Welcome Back Campaign for former players.

Teknoman

Cant show up to Garuda (sunday) since I wont be back home till like 7 or so...however...anyone doing Ifrit/Mog/etc. runs tonight?

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
Is there a decent spot to solo XP at about 32? All I've been able to find are mobs that aggro since I passed 30, looking for something less dangerous.

All out of leves. :\

I went ahead and signed up since I won't be working tomorrow. I might be a bit late because 2:00pm is usually when I get up due to my work schedule though.

I can go as DRG or WAR, whichever of the two (probably gonna have to be WAR since I'm gonna bet we'll be going with the cookie cutter build, but DRG can AOE too).

Is there a decent spot to solo XP at about 32? All I've been able to find are mobs that aggro since I passed 30, looking for something less dangerous.

All out of leves. :\

I spent most of 30-35 in Nanawa Mines or Humblehearth fighting mobs there in leves, but since you don't have any leves it's not an option. Most 30-40 mobs are aggro unfortunately, but there are a couple that aren't (Pterocs, pretty much). There are some Pterocs in the 30s on the way to Camp Crimson Bark in Black Shroud, and some higher level (35-38) Pterocs in Coerthas between Camp Dragonhead and the Griffin Crossing (the huge bridge).

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
I spent most of 30-35 in Nanawa Mines or Humblehearth fighting mobs there in leves, but since you don't have any leves it's not an option. Most 30-40 mobs are aggro unfortunately, but there are a couple that aren't (Pterocs, pretty much). There are some Pterocs in the 30s on the way to Camp Crimson Bark in Black Shroud, and some higher level (35-38) Pterocs in Coerthas between Camp Dragonhead and the Griffin Crossing (the huge bridge).

Great, thanks. :)

Allard

Well we all thought Yoshida was finally going to get a break over golden week but looking at the post he made in Japanese on the forums yesterday, it looks like he has been going across the world to various offices talking with staff and press. He went to London yesterday after stopping in LA first to talk to Square-Enix America staff (He got his B-Day cake over there!).

Wonder if he is prepping up for a big PR train soon :eek:.

I just picked up this game a few days ago and I'm liking it so far. I'm not sure how long I'll keep it going (especially with Diablo 3 coming out soon), but I'm having fun at the moment. Planning on working towards a White Mage, since that's what I did in FFXI.

Question: Is there a list of pre-2.0 exclusives that I should be working towards? I'm not even sure what I mean, but I feel like I heard something about exclusive mounts and/or achievements that would only be attainable before the big patch.

I'm still a low level, but it'd be nice to see what (if anything) I could/should be working towards.

cruets

I just picked up this game a few days ago and I'm liking it so far. I'm not sure how long I'll keep it going (especially with Diablo 3 coming out soon), but I'm having fun at the moment. Planning on working towards a White Mage, since that's what I did in FFXI.

Question: Is there a list of pre-2.0 exclusives that I should be working towards? I'm not even sure what I mean, but I feel like I heard something about exclusive mounts and/or achievements that would only be attainable before the big patch.

I'm still a low level, but it'd be nice to see what (if anything) I could/should be working towards.

theres an exclusive goobue mount you can get at 30 that wont be available when 2.0 comes out

Allard

There is likely to be some exclusive achievements along with the already mentioned Goobbue mount. The current Grand Company quests are also likely to be eliminated/changed dramatically when 2.0 hits as they focus mainly on Dalamud (The big red meteor in the sky). A bunch of misc. quests and maybe the exploration nodes but by and large the 'core' game will remain in tact with a nice shiny coat over the top when 2.0 comes. The current Primal Battles are also expected to undergo a revamp come 2.0 as the current reason for hunting them is directly tied to the seventh umbral event (Lead up to 2.0) and Yoshida talked about new content devoted to them surrounding the Free Companies (player guilds) along with content surrounding the other primals not released. (Shiva, Ramuh, Titan, Leviathan, and Odin will also be coming sometime after 2.0 as a wandering public Primal :) )

I have some questions i logged in to my SE account and it says if i have 2,000 crysta what can i do with this crysta?

If i reactivate my account before the free week will i get charged for it or should i wait for when it starts?

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Thank you for playing FINAL FANTASY XIV.

It is our pleasure to inform you that you have qualified for the FINAL FANTASY XIV Legacy Campaign, and are now recognized as a Legacy member.

We look forward to your ongoing patronage as the game continues its evolution towards version 2.0.

It is our pleasure to inform you that you have qualified for the FINAL FANTASY XIV Legacy Campaign, and are now recognized as a Legacy member.

We look forward to your ongoing patronage as the game continues its evolution towards version 2.0.

I got that email too. :D

Allard

One thing to note is you only need to 'pay' for 3 months worth of play time. I just activated my alt after legacy campaign was announced and did it for 3 month subscription (for the discounted price since I intended to get legacy status on it) and I already got the email, its only been active for half a month and I already have my alt as a legacy member.

Edit: Patch 1.22a releases tomorrow at 2:00 PM PST, maintenance is 3 hours. My guess is we will get a producer letter either tonight or tomorrow morning that focuses on the welcome back campaign + the 3rd Player's poll results since welcome back campaign starts tomorrow as well.

Teknoman

logo.jpg
name.gif

Aw yeah.

EDIT: In the mog fight, I wonder when it would be best to pop hallowed ground (just for extra safety). When you first start kiting or closer to the end if in danger.

Just checked my mail, and - woohoo! Got the confirmation. That discount offer was too good to pass up, and I'm enjoying the game again to boot.

Riposte

Now working on the thread. Would love suggestions. If the thread manages to get any traction it would be best if you guys posted over there. Will post when I finish it.

Ravidrath

Now working on the thread. Would love suggestions. If the thread manages to get any traction it would be best if you guys posted over there. Will post when I finish it.

Translation of everyone's GAF names to game names / servers. I just found out last week that Mature was Vice Winter, for example!

And make sure there is one list for RealXIV /Sargatanas GAF and another separate one for Heathen Outlier GAF.

I can't believe how much I've grown to like this game since coming back to it only a couple of weeks ago. I just earned got Conjurer to 30 and got my first Job - White Mage. Now, to 50! And then THM/BLM. :3

Allard

Haven't played since around the release. Would love to get back in. Would it be too late to qualify for the Legacy pricing?

Nope discovered that as long as you "Pay" for 90 days, you automatically get legacy status. I hadn't activated my second account since P2P started and I activated like 5 days after the legacy campaign was announced and paid for 90 days so I could get the discount. Got the email this morning that it had already triggered for legacy status.

Riposte

Nope discovered that as long as you "Pay" for 90 days, you automatically get legacy status. I hadn't activated my second account since P2P started and I activated like 5 days after the legacy campaign was announced and paid for 90 days so I could get the discount. Got the email this morning that it had already triggered for legacy status.

Isn't there way more than 90 days before 2.0? So I imagine someone could start now and get it.

Any good clever names for a thread about both campaigns they are running?

I just noticed the similarities between the legacy campaign and kickstart... lol

My PC is extremely old that it would be hard to run XIV even on the lowest settings. How does the DRM works for this game? I was thinking of buying it and then installing in on my friend's home PC, which is extremely powerful, and later on installing it on my new PC when the time comes. Is this possible without any hiccups?

edit: also, does anyone know when 2.0 will hit? I want the legacy status.

Ravidrath

My PC is extremely old that it would be hard to run XIV even on the lowest settings. How does the DRM works for this game? I was thinking of buying it and then installing in on my friend's home PC, which is extremely powerful, and later on installing it on my new PC when the time comes. Is this possible without any hiccups?

DRM? It's a subscription-based MMO - that's all the DRM it could ever need. You can install it on as many machines as you want and play it without issue as long as you know your login info and are paid up. Although each time you log in from a new IP they will make you change your password to make sure you haven't been hacked.

And 2.0 is looking like September/October, so there's plenty of time to get Legacy status. Technically you don't even need to actually even play to get it, just pay for 90 days and you're set.

DRM? It's a subscription-based MMO - that's all the DRM it could ever need.

And 2.0 is looking like September/October, so there's plenty of time to get Legacy status.

Sorry, I never played an MMO before. Except Guild Wars, but that's not really an MMO.

So to be sure, I can install the game on as many PCs as I want? There's no CD-key or anything?

Ravidrath

Sorry, I never played an MMO before. Except Guild Wars, but that's not really an MMO.

So to be sure, I can install the game on as many PCs as I want? There's no CD-key or anything?

Ah, OK.

There is a registration code in every box, but it's just to verify that you have a legit copy when you create your account and for verification purposes if you ever lose control of it. If you know someone with the game (or ask nicely here) they can give you their "buddy pass" code so you don't even need to buy it.

All the money from this game is made on subscription fees, so as long as you're paying, they want you to play. Honestly, they should be giving the client to anyone and everyone that will take it.

Allard

Its an online game so you have to be online to play, but as far as restrictions are concerned the only restriction is you can only play 1 'instance' of your account at a time, where and what computer you play it on is up to you. (But they do have a system where if you play on a different IP address then you normal do, it will require you to reset your password by email to make sure you didn't get hacked, a quick inconvenience but hardly a restriction). Basically as far as SE is concerned, install the game on as many computers as you want, your account is what matters.

As for 2.0 its unknown 'exactly' when 2.0 is coming or when the legacy campaign will end, but reps did say they would warn us when the last day to enter for legacy campaign would come ahead of time so it gives people a chance to jump on and grab it. Right now you can enter, pay to play for 90 days and automatically get legacy status. If I had to make an estimate based on what information we know to when 2.0 is coming it would be early November, with September/October as beta. With that in mind June/early July, might be the last time to enter for legacy campaign.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom