• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kandinsky

Yay won Garuda, boy this fight isn't easy on us WHMs. @.@

buttonswinqfbm2.jpg
Lalas looking badass there <3

Teknoman

So for Hamlet Defense, you have to be in the hamlet to know when the "Call to arms" happens? Didnt think it would be instanced after seeing the similar events in XI. Also are people doing pick up groups? Just wondering in case its a time when we dont have any other LS members on.

EDIT: What kind of rewards do you get for winning?

kiryogi

Banned
So for Hamlet Defense, you have to be in the hamlet to know when the "Call to arms" happens? Didnt think it would be instanced after seeing the similar events in XI. Also are people doing pick up groups? Just wondering in case its a time when we dont have any other LS members on.

EDIT: What kind of rewards do you get for winning?

You can hop in any time, just head to the hamlet when it's combat phase. And yeah you could possibly get a PUG there depending on interest. AT least the first combat phase it was often crowded and wasn't too hard to find a party.

Jinko

I haven't checked ye, but i doubt we are even at level 1 hamlet this time, the amount of materials you have to give in just to get to level 2 is absurd.

At least it will be easier to win with level 1.

Ravidrath

I haven't checked ye, but i doubt we are even at level 1 hamlet this time, the amount of materials you have to give in just to get to level 2 is absurd.

At least it will be easier to win with level 1.

I wonder if they tripled the level up costs, since there's only one place to do it right now, and that's why they seem so high?

Toth

Yeah...so...it sucks when your pickup group kills Ifrit and one of the whms leave with 3 people dead....I am still rather pissed off, especially since it ate my lantern and gave me nothing ><

Teknoman

Yeah...so...it sucks when your pickup group kills Ifrit and one of the whms leave with 3 people dead....I am still rather pissed off, especially since it ate my lantern and gave me nothing ><

I need to jump in with some pick up groups unless we're still doing Ifrit and Mog.

Teknoman

What's going on here? Meteor in the sky?

Yup, "Dalamud" aka Meteor. Its the world's second moon, but seems to be artificial (think FFIV). The bad guys in the game (Garlean Empire) has figured out a way to activate it, and are bringing it closer and closer until...well something happens, which ushers in all that environmental and graphic changes for 2.0

Its been getting bigger and bigger every patch, and whats cool is that players noticed it, and sort of charted it's appearance before they officially revealed what was going on. We dont know if it will actually crash, or just cause some magic chain reaction.

full_dalamud.png

ibsjjDQDjS9UlG.jpg

And the current stage is in the shot you quoted.

Merl is better :eek:

Merlwyb is best leader. Fuck a Raubahn.

I haven't played much since the patch came out, mainly because Xenoblade is like the best game ever and partially because my classes of choice are once again getting fucked over in the Garuda fight in favor of derpy BLM spam and WAR tanks, even after SE took measures to try and stop those very things from happening.

kiryogi

Banned
Merlwyb is best leader. Fuck a Raubahn.

I haven't played much since the patch came out, mainly because Xenoblade is like the best game ever and partially because my classes of choice are once again getting fucked over in the Garuda fight in favor of derpy BLM spam and WAR tanks, even after SE took measures to try and stop those very things from happening.

You should check the new video posted on dot site. If anything, it's all dependent on everyone's skills.

what timezones are you guys the most active?

Daytime US time zones, but there's GMT folk too. Then there's me that's PST but I work 2nd shift . . . so it's sometimes more inline with the GMT XDorking 2nd shift.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Guys, big question here. How much have they really revamped the game from launch FFXIV? I'm really considering playing the game but I really want almost every aspect of launch FFXIV to be gone.

So basically what I'm trying to ask is, is this FFXI HD yet? I look at the screenshots and I'm amazed by how it looks... I'd love to play it.

Chris R

So how far away is the 2.0 release? The videos posted on this page look pretty good actually, much better than what I can remember from playing during the beta.

Mature

Guys, big question here. How much have they really revamped the game from launch FFXIV? I'm really considering playing the game but I really want almost every aspect of launch FFXIV to be gone.
They've reformed and improved all of the major systems since launch. Things like combat and level progression are an entirely different paradigm now. However, there's still niggling issues and remnants of the broken FFXIV, so I have a hard time just saying "Yeah, it's all good now, dive right in". For most people, I say research it and if you're that interested, give it a go, but if you have any doubt, wait for 2.0.

That being said, there's pretty big incentive to start now with the Legacy program. I can see that pushing people over the edge.

So how far away is the 2.0 release? The videos posted on this page look pretty good actually, much better than what I can remember from playing during the beta.
They released PDF files with dates around the time 2.0 was announced.

Riposte

Speaking of big changes to FFXIV, I plan on making a thread for that return event in May. I imagine I should list important changes in the thread... so I'm curious what you guys think are particularly worth mentioning. I already plan to list all the end-game fights and quests/raids and also Jobs.

Allard

So basically what I'm trying to ask is, is this FFXI HD yet? I look at the screenshots and I'm amazed by how it looks... I'd love to play it.

I'll echo Matures thoughts. The game is very much improved across the board and right now its at the point where I start recommending it to my friends to play, but only with the preface that they know what is getting changed in 5-6 months from now. The Legacy campaign they announced recently is reason enough to jump in now if you have any intention of play into and beyond 2.0. However having said that if it wasn't for the promise of 2.0 and how a good job Yoshida has done thus far fixing the horrendous launch experience I would be hard pressed to recommend it to people out of fear of just much of a future it had.

The big things that still remain to be fixed but look like they will be fixed in 2.0 is a proper keyboard/mouse UI, mediocre to horrible graphics optimization, and animation/input lag during battles. 2.0 = Redone graphics engine from the ground up, server architecture overhaul from the ground up, 2 UI styles designed specifically for either gamepad or Mouse and Keyboard users (No more 1 single UI that tries to work with both systems) alongside completely redesigned over world map.

Things that have been fixed or mostly fixed since launch. Marketwards now behave like an AH with a middleman, you don't need to travel to a specific location anymore to buy stuff, you can search and buy from all marketwards in each city and even send your 'seller' called a retainer from any city to the wards (thus the middleman, since retainer sells your wares and you don't put them up in a sell prompt, thankfully you can call your retainer and send him out from the mercantile houses!). EXP system on almost every class but Gathering has been overhauled and made more streamlined and faster. (I especially love what they did to crafting EXP recently :) ), each class has its own unique identity now and role (Some better then others, balancing still needs to be worked on), and the guild leve system has been 'fixed' so you can now save up to 99 leves, the leve renewals happen almost immediately after completing/losing a leve making them quick and fun EXP spurts that you can spend all at once or over a period of time. These days I have a harder time spending them then I do gaining them XD.

On top of this they added a free 'return' command to a bind point and you can make your bind point anywhere instead of at the crystal you last touched. Crafting recipes got overhauled so most don't require extra components to make an item, just raw material. Added mounts which you can call at any time in the field as long as you don't have aggro, airships that take you between the three cities, job quests, side-quests (Not just leves anymore!).

Basically the only remnants of launch that still need to be taken care of look to be fixed in 2.0 or before, so if you want to wait for it, might be best to just wait for 2.0 since there will be a free trial initiated when it comes out but you will miss the legacy campaign where you get like a 5 dollar a month reduction for the best billing option (9.99 for 40 characters + 8 characters a server, yes in 2.0 we will see a normalized billing service!)

Speaking of big changes to FFXIV, I plan on making a thread for that return event in May. I imagine I should list important changes in the thread... so I'm curious what you guys think are particularly worth mentioning. I already plan to list all the end-game fights and quests/raids and also Jobs.

Some of the larger things worth mentioning is all the market ward changes and addition of optional travel besides anima. Those two complaints plus horrible UI/Lag and the lack of content (Map repetitiveness is another, but sadly we will need to wait for 2.0) were some of the biggest reasons people jumped ship real quickly when launch happened. For newer players there is now plenty of content, markets have been 'fixed' to be extremely close to an AH while still using remnants of the old system (The markets are getting a complete overhaul in 2.0 according to Yoshida, but compared to what it was at launch its night and day difference). But the maps and UI is still going to leaving a lingering taste of dissatisfaction for some players that jumped ship. Its why I will recommend the game to friends but I am not quite at the point of recommending it to strangers till 2.0 comes out. But the legacy campaign might be good enough reason to come back. I would hold off on posting the 'changes' thread till E3 personally, wait till they start their 2.0 campaign so people get excited for what is to come on top of what is there now.

Teknoman

Maybe we should just drop the OT2 once that happens? I mean new banner, 2.0 trailer, Dalamud summary, jobs, and all that?

Awesome.

I really hate the mentality of "this was the first way it was won, so it's the only way!" and the inevitable bitching that leads to.

That seems to happen with every new fight, and I'm glad these guys are showing the whiners up.

Does this kind of thing happen with every MMO, or just FF ones?

Every MMO i'm sure. You'd think it would be less so in FF, since every FF game...well maybe aside from XIII, you can beat anything with any job combo via the right plan. But yeah, every MMO...especially the "You dont have ____, so you cant join us" mentality.

EDIT: I just realized...this is the first Final Fantasy main series game since...IX that actually has a "go to sleep" theme. A pretty nice one that has a nostalgic feel to it at that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG77MmaKo1o

kiryogi

Banned
Maybe we should just drop the OT2 once that happens? I mean new banner, 2.0 trailer, Dalamud summary, jobs, and all that?

Every MMO i'm sure. You'd think it would be less so in FF, since every FF game...well maybe aside from XIII, you can beat anything with any job combo via the right plan. But yeah, every MMO...especially the "You dont have ____, so you cant join us" mentality.

EDIT: I just realized...this is the first Final Fantasy main series game since...IX that actually has a "go to sleep" theme. A pretty nice one that has a nostalgic feel to it at that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG77MmaKo1o

I love how it's the fanfare jingle in a music box style.

Riposte

Waiting until e3 means people with unused accounts will miss the free week or however long it was. Kind of defeats the purpose. Any E3 hype will probably get its own thread considering how news threads worked last time.

SE might give FFXIV a new name, like FFXIV 2.0. That basically means it would be a new entirely new OT wouldn't it? Maybe not. I guess expansions don't get new OT names? Hell, we should just call it |OT 2.0| lol

Allard

Waiting until e3 means people with unused accounts will miss the free week or however long it was. Kind of defeats the purpose. Any E3 hype will probably get its own thread considering how news threads worked last time.

SE might give FFXIV a new name, like FFXIV 2.0. That basically means it would be a new entirely new OT wouldn't it? Maybe not. I guess expansions don't get new OT names? Hell, we should just call it |OT 2.0| lol

I kinda forgot about the free week coming up. Maybe a good refresher thread isn't a bad idea for it, but I would still put the 2.0 info in it just to get people excited beyond the free week.

As for 2.0, I'm pretty sure its going to have a subtitle and we already know it. SE trademarkerd the title "A Realm Reborn" and that saying is part of the prophecy posted on the legacy campaign site. So its probably going to be FFXIV: A Realm Reborn.

hteng

Banned
Daytime US time zones, but there's GMT folk too. Then there's me that's PST but I work 2nd shift . . . so it's sometimes more inline with the GMT XDorking 2nd shift.

I see, I'll watchout for you guys. I'm bored to hell everytime I logon, there isn't anyone to talk to. my char is Danorille Pandemo

the game has been completely reformed. It is more like FFXI lite

the good:

+you can solo leves for decent exp while waiting for parties
+parties net extremely good exp, up to 8 players in a party
+the leves reward are decent, either in gil or loot, you won't be as cash strapped as in FFXI
+teleporting to camp is cool, until you run out of anima
+combat interface improved a great deal, but i find myself staring too much at my action bar
+they actually revamped most of the monster models
+New party based quests/raids/instances are actually fun and challenging
+completely revamped skills, they took out the redundant stuff and made each class unique
+they didn't make jobs too overpower, though they are very much preferred in a party based encounter.
+Inns, much like moghouse in FFXI, and you get rest bonuses while offline.
+thank god they took out the fatigue system, it's the worst shit ever to graced an mmo
+NPC repair upto 99% condition and your equipment doesn't break as much
+no more 14 hours to get your guildleves to reset but you are still bound by a maximum of 99 leves, in fact, i just blew through them all in 3 weeks.
+200 inventory space, hell yeah
+lots of untradeable/unique equipments to discourage RMT
+chocobo!
+airships!

the bad:

-inventory interface still clunky and complicated (where's my drag and drop?)
-your previous equipments are all outdated
-repair system still flawed, i find myself with tons of equipment I can't sell at the AH because I don't have the appropriate craft skill to repair it, and the NPC repair only upto 99%
-the job quests can't be soloed, some require at least 4 ppl to even enter an instance, i --mean once the level cap is raised I'm pretty sure you can solo them easily.
-during group engagements it still feels like a clusterfuck, there are lacking crowd control mechanics (you only get sleep and repose).
-too much traveling, it doesn't help that the landscape is the same boring copypasata, you best get a chocobo first
-AH still suck, it's clunky, tedious, not easy to use, it's completely shit, but better than before 1.2
-I see tons of RMT characters at Cedarwood, for some reason they can do a faction leve (goatwind?) repeatly to get to R50.

haven't craft in a loooong time, so i can't comment on that part.

In conclusion, it's a good time to reactivate, infact, i just activated like.. 3 weeks ago, and i've already done a great deal of stuff all solo.

edit: can anyone tell me how to disable the text popup in the action bar ? (like when you hover your mouse over to the action, theres a text fade in) i find it very distracting and always get in the way of my view.

Teknoman

the job quests can't be soloed, some require at least 4 ppl to even enter an instance, i --mean once the level cap is raised I'm pretty sure you can solo them easily.

I wouldnt really say thats a bad thing :p

hteng

Banned
the job quests can't be soloed, some require at least 4 ppl to even enter an instance, i --mean once the level cap is raised I'm pretty sure you can solo them easily.

I wouldnt really say thats a bad thing :p

I don't think a team base quest is a bad thing, it's just that you can't enter the instance with just 1 person (maybe you can sneak around the dungeon). One of the AF quest involve you going into the darkhold just to click on a chest, and you need to assemble a full party just to do that.

Luckily though, everyone pretty much has to do that GC quest (into the dark) so there's still a chance to get pickup parties, but it's sorta road block for soloing people.

man i'm not looking forward to doing Aurum Vale to get my PLD AF, does it overlap with any GC or AF quests?

Teknoman

I don't think a team base quest is a bad thing, it's just that you can't enter the instance with just 1 person (maybe you can sneak around the dungeon). One of the AF quest involve you going into the darkhold just to click on a chest, and you need to assemble a full party just to do that.

Luckily though, everyone pretty much has to do that GC quest (into the dark) so there's still a chance to get pickup parties, but it's sorta road block for soloing people.

man i'm not looking forward to doing Aurum Vale to get my PLD AF, does it overlap with any GC or AF quests?

Overlap, and i'd think people would be up for clearing other dungeons since you can turn in the drops for company seals now.

Kyudo

Neo Member

The AF in Aurum Vale is stupid easy to get.

Ravidrath

Speaking of AF, I need a BRD piece from CC...

Although I may just hold off until I have some other jobs that are AF-ready and do them all at once? But that seems pretty far off, right now.

Allard

Speaking of AF, I need a BRD piece from CC...

Although I may just hold off until I have some other jobs that are AF-ready and do them all at once? But that seems pretty far off, right now.

I'm waiting for a moogle/Garuda/Ifrit weapon to drop (Got my first lvl 50 combat class done after the job quest patch) and whatever weapon I get first, that will be the class I take to level 50 next if its not Archer. I'm mainly focused on getting my crafting classes all to lvl 50 though as I want to be prepared for the eventual housing and social crafting content they are making for 2.0. And yeah... still need my last Bard AF piece in cutters so I can move on to the final quest, my social ls has enough people these days though so I can probably get something going fairly quickly :D. (My social LS has 10-15 active people almost every night and my end game ls usually has at least 25 people on it at night).

Ravidrath

I'm waiting for a moogle/Garuda/Ifrit weapon to drop (Got my first lvl 50 combat class done after the job quest patch) and whatever weapon I get first, that will be the class I take to level 50 next if its not Archer. I'm mainly focused on getting my crafting classes all to lvl 50 though as I want to be prepared for the eventual housing and social crafting content they are making for 2.0. And yeah... still need my last Bard AF piece in cutters so I can move on to the final quest, my social ls has enough people these days though so I can probably get something going fairly quickly :D. (My social LS has 10-15 active people almost every night and my end game ls usually has at least 25 people on it at night).

While my first Ifrit drop was the bow, I leveled it for Chameleon... and figured I may as well finish it. I'm probably completely retiring it after I finish all the BRD quests.

Likely next set of AF will be MNK, but that's Darkhold... will just have to look for CC runs while I'm crafting in Ul'dah or something.

Teknoman

iWtt0I3tVJFNo.jpg

ibttf0Yc0L3pnp.jpg

The new team of composers need to work on Final Fantasy XV. Garuda's theme is so good.

Also the more we kill the Primals, we're making the situation with Dalamud even worse. Talk about a catch 22...and Van Darnus has some sort of "Well adjusted Kefka" thing going for him. Think he's working behind Gaius' back/has ulterior motives.

Teknoman

Hmm...so xiv just froze in the middle of a leve, music still playing, and my pc shut itself down. Now everytime i turn it on, the fans sound really loud and it seems to keep resetting itself... Strange too since i've never had any overheating problems. Its been pretty hot since the ac broke, but it shouldnt be enough to give a pc issues...

Allard

iWtt0I3tVJFNo.jpg

ibttf0Yc0L3pnp.jpg

The new team of composers need to work on Final Fantasy XV. Garuda's theme is so good.

Also the more we kill the Primals, we're making the situation with Dalamud even worse. Talk about a catch 22...and Van Darnus has some sort of "Well adjusted Kefka" thing going for him. Think he's working behind Gaius' back/has ulterior motives.

The boss battle music for Garuda was done by Uematsu, its been in since Alpha unused :p

Teknoman

Whoa really? Awesome that Uematsu hasnt lost his knack for boss themes then.

EDIT: Just ordered a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ fan...probably shouldnt have stuck with my stock AMD fan this long anyway.

Are they changing the music with each patch or something? I've never played the game, but I need to know, as it seems weird. When I search youtube for the game's ost, I get a bunch of tracks with "patch 1.xx" in their titles. Can someone clarify this for me?

Mature

Are they changing the music with each patch or something? I've never played the game, but I need to know, as it seems weird. When I search youtube for the game's ost, I get a bunch of tracks with "patch 1.xx" in their titles. Can someone clarify this for me?
When you see those videos on youtube, the title is stating what music was added for each patch. Whether this was music for a zone that had normal music before or just new music for a new instance-- it doesn't mean the music was changed for an entire zone or something.

Allard

When you see those videos on youtube, the title is stating what music was added for each patch. Whether this was music for a zone that had normal music before or just new music for a new instance-- it doesn't mean the music was changed for an entire zone or something.

Well... technically they did do that a while back for some zones. They added new overworld music in the core 3 regions so that some areas would have a different 'flavor' to them XD. Speaking of new music that brings up another enticing bullet point for 2.0. We should be getting all new music for some of the new zones that are getting split off from the old region themes, that or they go the FFXI route where a ton of zones have no music what so ever and only zones close to towns or cities get music >.>.

Mature

Well... technically they did do that a while back for some zones. They added new overworld music in the core 3 regions so that some areas would have a different 'flavor' to them XD. Speaking of new music that brings up another enticing bullet point for 2.0. We should be getting all new music for some of the new zones that are getting split off from the old region themes, that or they go the FFXI route where a ton of zones have no music what so ever and only zones close to towns or cities get music >.>.
Oh? Didn't know that. For the most part the music remains unchanged update to update, however.

Teknoman

certain caves or plains areas...even the top of a mountain would be cool with only ambient effects would be cool, but the majority of areas should have music.

Munba

Mmmh i'm pretty sure the garuda theme was not in the alpha ost (unless i missed one track in the package). I think it's a new track composed by Masayoshi Soken.

Allard

Garuda theme is new.

Really? I was absolutely certain I heard the track long before this update and there are people on other forums that seem to have the same sentiment.

Edit: I still had the alpha rip in .rar file from before the game released on my computer and sure enough that track wasn't on it. Guess I was wrong. Interesting thing I didn't realize though was all the new zone music (that was added back in June of last year) was in Alpha soundtrack and I was wrongly attributing it to the new aritsts XD. The music i'm talking about of course is the new Black Shroud, Thanalan, and La Noscea region (Which I always thought was Uematsu since that music was on the teaser site before lodestone came) that changes back and forth between the old and new theme depending on the part of the region.

Kyudo

Neo Member
Some of the music they changed was just taken from other areas. Nophica wells has the music that was in mistbeard cove.

So I've been playing super casually on and off the last couple weeks. It's been fun but kind of lonely since no one talks in the game. Is there a gaf linkshell on Sargatanas, or really any kind of linkshell at all that takes in new players? I need people to talk to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom