• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

creid

I've had this on my shelf for a while but never got around to installing it. I can get all the early adopter bonuses if I just sign up and start playing now?

Ravidrath

Thanks. I just ordered the game from amazon. It was 25$. :)

Are you not American? Because I don't see any options that expensive on Amazon.

They have a $10 DL option right now, for example.

I've had this on my shelf for a while but never got around to installing it. I can get all the early adopter bonuses if I just sign up and start playing now?

Yup!

Also, maybe share your Buddy Pass with AuthenticM to save him some money, and then you'd have someone to play with?

I already have something like 20,000 crysta pre-paid on my account. Is there a way I can get Legacy status without activating?

...What? You have been accruing Crysta, but never actually subscribed?

You should just spend some of that on a 90 day plan, and you will get Legacy status, even if you don't play.

Allard

Québécois. I'm using Amazon.ca. :)

Besides, I prefer having the game on disc.

edit: what's that about the buddy pass? Does every game copy have one?

Buddy passes came with the Limited Edition version of the game, they act like a second purchasing account and grants a buddy full rights to the game under a separate account. If your buddy wants to play he/she still needs to setup for subscription, but they won't need to buy the box to play and they still get 30 days free since all accounts come with a 30 day pass after activation happens. I bought the limited edition and used my buddy pass to setup a second account for an alt. When 2.0 happens and it becomes easier to make new characters without extra charges I could easily hand the alt account to a friend and he can make his own character without messing with alt characters :)

Cmagus

1.22b! and lol, guess we're doing Garuda or Mog then.

Well they did say there was a high chance of it hitting in 1.22a and everyone seemed to think so today ah well still gotta finish MNK tonight.I would be down for Garuda tonight but not moogles.

Jinko

1.22b! and lol, guess we're doing Garuda or Mog then.

Did you see the Inferno and Vortex seals, protection against Primals .. lol

Easy mode .. give my weapons please !!

Inferno Seal Miscellany A hand-carved medal said to grant its wearer the protection of the Lord of the Inferno.
Vortex Seal Miscellany A hand-carved medal said to grant its wearer the protection of the Lady of the Vortex.
Tremor Seal Miscellany A hand-carved medal said to grant its wearer the protection of the Lord of Crags.

Does the last one suggest we are getting Titan soon ??

I'm guessing they drop from the beastmen but who knows.

Allard

Inferno Seal Miscellany A hand-carved medal said to grant its wearer the protection of the Lord of the Inferno.
Vortex Seal Miscellany A hand-carved medal said to grant its wearer the protection of the Lady of the Vortex.
Tremor Seal Miscellany A hand-carved medal said to grant its wearer the protection of the Lord of Crags.

Probably related to Hamlet defense or something similar. Maybe a badge that gives you protection against the primal's beastmen? Kobold = Titan, Garuda = Ixali, and Ifrit = Amal'ja the three beastmen of hamlet defense. Also Titan battle is almost assuredly coming in 2.0. in the .DATs since Alpha the main story has a battle with Titan, not even Ifrit had such a luxery, it has voice overs and everything leading up to the battle and at the end of the battle. So it likely won't come till the main story line comes back into focus which Yoshida said won't be coming till 2.0.

It might also have to do with that new key item you can purchase from your Grand Company.

Edit: saw some of the new weapons skins and armor skins they added with the update. I don't know if the company weapons got an upgraded look or if its something coming later but the new GC weapons look amazing looking. You know they are GC because the weapons are designed in the motif of the company flag.

Allard

Looks like I'll be making silk when I get on, based on calculation they will be 160k a piece lol

Lol the new gear released last patch has already made me quite a bundle XD. I actually really like the new HQ system they made for the stuff, too bad its all class only at the moment because there is plenty of gil to be had from it. I am lvl 45 on BSM and already I can use it for the new stuff even if I don't actually make the gear. Because at least 1 component in all the new HQ required components is bought from an NPC so you start out at maximum 300 quality so its extremely unlikely to get a 100% chance at HQ. The result, the other HQ components price sky rocketed because you need them High Quality to compensate for that 1 normal quality piece XD. I sold 2 +1 darksteel nuggets for 300-400k recently (Each).

kiryogi

Banned

Huh I read that as you getting their protection not protection from them.

So is this game enjoyable when playing alone? If yes, how much more enjoyable is it to play with other people? Like I said, I've never played an MMO before, with the possible exception of Guild Wars, if we were to consider it as such. It wasn't a very pleasant experience as I was only playing it with a friend of mine, and that was when I was playing with someone else, as most of the time I was playing alone. If I need to play with other people (guilds, clans and whatnot) in order to have the best possible experience, what should I do? Keep in mind that, for all intent and purposes, I am an MMO virgin.

Nakazato

ill be back as well. i have really like what i saw from the updates and should be a regular popping in 3-5 times a week in the next month.

BTW anyone know of any good laptops 700-800 dollars that will run this when im on the road ith work.

hteng

Banned
So is this game enjoyable when playing alone? If yes, how much more enjoyable is it to play with other people? Like I said, I've never played an MMO before, with the possible exception of Guild Wars, if we were to consider it as such. It wasn't a very pleasant experience as I was only playing it with a friend of mine, and that was when I was playing with someone else, as most of the time I was playing alone. If I need to play with other people (guilds, clans and whatnot) in order to have the best possible experience, what should I do? Keep in mind that, for all intent and purposes, I am an MMO virgin.

it's enjoyable if you are soloing as well as partying. The content can mostly done solo but if you want the loots you'll need to party up.

creid

D'oh, finally finished installation and login seems to be down. Guess that's what I should've expected when we're 30min away from free trial time.

Allard

The post they just put up on lodestone is pretty interesting, looks like they want some sweat shop enthusiastic translators to help localize all the new material for 2.0!

Edit: You know that new GC key item they added this patch and those new Primal Seals? Well it is sounding like from some NPC comments that they are related to gaining the Job AF weapons. Get the key item, and with the key item it is possible for those seals to drop off the Hamlet bosses. The NPC's go on to say the seals would help or be used to help forge "Relics of Old". Think a couple select boards might have a different tune about the 'rewards' of Hamlet if all Job AF weapons need Hamlets wins to get them XD.

Oh also the new GC key item is 25k seals! hope some of you saved up haha.

Ravidrath

Shame about the AF weapons, but it does sound like elements needed for them are there so we can try to start working on them in some fashion.

Hmm, and I assume there isn't any idea what the new key item actually does? It sounds like it could be a permanent damage buff against beastkin...?

Allard

Shame about the AF weapons, but it does sound like elements needed for them are there so we can try to start working on them in some fashion.

Hmm, and I assume there isn't any idea what the new key item actually does? It sounds like it could be a permanent damage buff against beastkin...?

It sounds like it unlocks the right to see the new seal drops off the beastmen bosses in Hamlet. Basically the first prerequisite to getting the new AF weapons is 25k Grand Company Seals, followed by a chance to get the seal drop from each of the 3 beast lords in hamlet. The real question is if you can even do that now or not, that is only stipulated based on what an NPC said in game. (Got attention about via BG in the patch notes thread).

Ravidrath

The AF weapons are definitely a lot harder to get than I really ever expected... they're more like mini-Relics or something, with this kind of requirement.

I think I'm OK with this, though? Working towards something big seems appealing, and given how easy it is to farm seals in Toto-Rak or benefit just by doing other raids and NMs, it doesn't seem all that odious.

And I haven't beaten Hamlet Defense yet, but it seemed fun from what I played.

Teknoman

The AF weapons are definitely a lot harder to get than I really ever expected... they're more like mini-Relics or something, with this kind of requirement.

I think I'm OK with this, though? Working towards something big seems appealing, and given how easy it is to farm seals in Toto-Rak or benefit just by doing other raids and NMs, it doesn't seem all that odious.

And I haven't beaten Hamlet Defense yet, but it seemed fun from what I played.

How do you know when it is about to start again? Also farming Toto-rak = just turning in weapons dropped from the bosses? I'm in definite need of some seals, and i'm sure others are as well...maybe we should schedule some LS farming?

Allard

How do you know when it is about to start again? Also farming Toto-rak = just turning in weapons dropped from the bosses? I'm in definite need of some seals, and i'm sure others are as well...maybe we should schedule some LS farming?

Every rare/unique drop from Toto-rak gives seals. Anywhere from 200 (Chest items) to 300 (Two very specific weapons) the rest are 250 seals each. You can easily get 8-9 pieces of gear a run with a full 5 chest Shaula run. Usually takes about 20 minutes each time. I run it all the time by using my alt account, get about 2k seals for both of us in an hours time or less. If I really wanted to I could just pool all the items on my main and get even more in that time (But I have been trying to rank up my alt so I have been splitting them XD). D-Hold also gives plenty of seals per piece of gear, like 1.2k to 2.4k depending on how unique the piece is per item, but you obviously need more people to do that, its much easier to just find one person and do a speed run in toto-rak.

as for how hard the job AF weapons are to obtain. This initial phase can be done by anyone with enough grinding time, I'm curious if there will be a second or third much harder phase.

Some snooping around and it seems like the "On the Properties of Beastmen" has something to do with AF weapons (which are missing from this patch of course). Talking to Rowena in Ul'dah, she mentions trading her the key item along with a seal from each of the beastmen; Inferno Seal, Vortex Seal, Tremor Seal. The seals can only be obtained by beating the beastmen leaders at each of the Hamlet Defenses. Trade all of this to her and she'll give you a note that is supposed to be used at a NPC in Hawthorne Hut that "reforges relics of old".

That is what Lokus on BG said. The bosses in hamlet are easy enough to kill (At least the one at Hrystmill) with the right strategy, toward the end my ls was basically at farming status and we were working on tweaking things to get a higher point count. We do 1 crafter, 1 gatherer, 2 WAR, 2 WHM, and 2 BLM. WAR collusion the BLM's who do massive AOE damage toward the beginning, the two non combat classes buff/debuff the mobs to do as much damage as possible as quickly as possible, and then we cycle between two buffs/debuffs till everything is dead and the boss pops out.

Buttons

New blog post is up. ^_^
ffxivgame2012-05-0822v9csl.jpg

http://buttons-tarutaru.blogspot.de/2012/05/server-merges-imperial-invasions-and.html

Salaadin

All updated and ready to go. Im kinda excited to come back to this. I feel like I have to re-learn a lot but it should be fun.

If I do end up liking this again, all I need to do is activate for 90 days and Ill qualify for Legacy pricing?

creid

Have the servers changed since the spreadsheet in the OP was last updated? I didn't see a Lindblum (and when I backed out, it seems to have lost what I made in the character creator :/)

Edit: Oops, found Sargatanas in the other thread, nevermind.

Jinko

So what I'm guna do is postpone the remake of the linkshell til after the welcome back free week.

We can the returning gaffers Red Dot II etc, but no point inviting them to the new shell if they are only going to leave again in a couple of weeks.

This seem ok with the vets ?

Munba

[dev1417] Battle music has been changed for the following areas:

Mistbeard Cove / Cassiopeia Hollow / The Mun-Tuy Cellars / The Tam-Tara Deepcroft / Nanawa Mines / Copperbell Mines

They put the Shposhae-Dungeon battle theme there... dunno why.

Munba

Lol yes i like it more surely but i'm curious where they are going to put the old ones :p

It seem they heard teknoman about it XD

Teknoman

Lol yes i like it more surely but i'm curious where they are going to put the old ones :p

It seem they heard teknoman about it XD

Yup and i'm just glad they have an actual dungeon theme now. Too bad that I dont have any way to hear it for an extended fight. i guess it'll factor into new overworld dungeons in 2.0...unless all dungeons will be instanced in the future.

I really like that they put the Shposhae battle theme in the other open dungeons, but they REALLY need to put some damn music in them. That ambient noise thing is garbage.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
I just started playing on Sargatanas, if anyone wants to mess around, my character name is iadien kuthand, I'm an archer (level 8) in gridania. Wanting to be a bard eventually.

I'm new to the game if any other new players want to join me.

Teknoman

I really like that they put the Shposhae battle theme in the other open dungeons, but they REALLY need to put some damn music in them. That ambient noise thing is garbage.

I'm cool with ambience in some of the deeper sections, or if we ever get mountain/tower zones, the highest point...but I think there should at least be 2 general themes for overworld non-instance dungeons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom