• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allard

Ok for the people worried about power surge getting nerfed... either they goofed and accidentally added an extra zero on their tables or power surge is extremely overpowered compared to what it was before right now.

Each level acts like an extra 115 (rounded) attack up which means you can get close to 345 extra attack from power surge at lvl 3. Defense is -158 and can take you in negative defense (if you have less then 158 defense on you which fully geared won't happen) but it only applies to the first stack and doesn't increase like attack does each level. jump and weaponskills only reset the duration, they don't automatically level you up but give you a chance to stack another level. If that stays as is I'd say that alone is a pretty big improvement for Dragoon :p

teiresias

OK guys, is there a COMPREHENSIVE UI tutorial or manual somewhere that I can read. This game is so endlessly frustrating. I just spent ten minutes in the game looking for some way to use a potion with no luck whatsoever. It's not in any menu I could find AT ALL. WTH is going on with this game?

Also, how do I actually enter the macro text? I can't, for the life of me, remember how this was done in FFXI, so I'm at a loss for how to add macros in this game too. Any help?

Riposte

OK guys, is there a COMPREHENSIVE UI tutorial or manual somewhere that I can read. This game is so endlessly frustrating. I just spent ten minutes in the game looking for some way to use a potion with no luck whatsoever. It's not in any menu I could find AT ALL. WTH is going on with this game?

Also, how do I actually enter the macro text? I can't, for the life of me, remember how this was done in FFXI, so I'm at a loss for how to add macros in this game too. Any help?

For starters, you should see a mini-menu (two rows of icons). The bag there is how you access usable items.

Chris R

Ha! I'm not the only one who couldn't find how to use a potion. Anyways, press U and you will find it there.

Don't think I'm going to keep my sub up beyond my free 30 days though. The game is better, but still not my cup of tea (more solo content and the game being smoother overall would be a start) I'll keep checking in and probably grab a single month when 2.0 drops to see if much has changed.

hteng

Banned
Ok for the people worried about power surge getting nerfed... either they goofed and accidentally added an extra zero on their tables or power surge is extremely overpowered compared to what it was before right now.

Each level acts like an extra 115 (rounded) attack up which means you can get close to 345 extra attack from power surge at lvl 3. Defense is -158 and can take you in negative defense (if you have less then 158 defense on you which fully geared won't happen) but it only applies to the first stack and doesn't increase like attack does each level. jump and weaponskills only reset the duration, they don't automatically level you up but give you a chance to stack another level. If that stays as is I'd say that alone is a pretty big improvement for Dragoon :p

drg is looking more and more like drk now lol

Sofo

Ha! I'm not the only one who couldn't find how to use a potion. Anyways, press U and you will find it there.

Don't think I'm going to keep my sub up beyond my free 30 days though. The game is better, but still not my cup of tea (more solo content and the game being smoother overall would be a start) I'll keep checking in and probably grab a single month when 2.0 drops to see if much has changed.
The game is pretty much soloable all the way to 50 o:

As it stands, I went from 0 to 36 mostly solo, sans a couple of parties here and there. Just have to use leves, really.

teiresias

Yeah, but that is a bad solution when playing with a controller. The only way to do it with a controller is to make sure the micro-menu is bound to a button and open the bag from there. You can't do it with a controller from the regular inventory screen accessible in the main menu.

I don't understand why the UI is so weird, I don't remember FFXI bring this obtuse, particularly when using a controller.

Allard

Yeah, but that is a bad solution when playing with a controller. The only way to do it with a controller is to make sure the micro-menu is bound to a button and open the bag from there. You can't do it with a controller from the regular inventory screen accessible in the main menu.

I don't understand why the UI is so weird, I don't remember FFXI bring this obtuse, particularly when using a controller.

I find the micro menu a bit easier then FFXI non-macro method for item usage as its a bitch to go through the normal menus with how large the inventory is in this game and I play on controller most the time XD. Having said that from what little we have seen of the new UI and what they have said of the new gamepad control scheme your complaints look to at least be alleviated in 2.0. They are making it possible to bind items to your action bar as well as make more shortcuts and quick actions to the controller using a series of button prompts (Like combining keys similar to how you can change targetting filters by pressing auto-run + one the control prompts; auto-run + confirm, auto-run + cancel etc.)

Jinko

Agree macro menu is much better, they should assign the macro menu to triangle/Y by default really.

I expect all these odd quirks in the UI will be worked out in 2.0.

Veezy

que?
Do I need a physical disk to install the game or is there a digital download somewhere? I couldn't seem to find it on Square's site.

Azriell

So I leveled 1-9 in about 1 hour without leves, and then it slowed down quite a bit. For people who are soloing so high, is it through guild leves?

I've been playing really casually for a week or 2 now, but I haven't been using my leves very much. I actually just started using them to level Botanist, but I still have 65 or so leves available. I'm ready to start burning through them to level my combat classes, but the one I did during the opening quest suggested to me that they weren't really worth it for this purpose. At level 11, are the leves worthwhile or should I keep using them on my crafting/harvesting classes?

Chris R

The game is pretty much soloable all the way to 50 o:

As it stands, I went from 0 to 36 mostly solo, sans a couple of parties here and there. Just have to use leves, really.

I'm using leves, but there are only 4 per camp, and having to run back and forth, back and forth between the city and the camp isn't fun for me. If the game would dole out the leves in the field and advance you through the zone as you leveled the game would be much more enjoyable (again, for me at least).

hteng

Banned
So I leveled 1-9 in about 1 hour without leves, and then it slowed down quite a bit. For people who are soloing so high, is it through guild leves?

I've been playing really casually for a week or 2 now, but I haven't been using my leves very much. I actually just started using them to level Botanist, but I still have 65 or so leves available. I'm ready to start burning through them to level my combat classes, but the one I did during the opening quest suggested to me that they weren't really worth it for this purpose. At level 11, are the leves worthwhile or should I keep using them on my crafting/harvesting classes?

trade crafts are a bitch to level post 40, because you are reaching the cap soon, there are no easy recipes that are level 50+. so you have to rely on guildleves for its bonus xp upon completing the leve or farm high level mobs for their materials.

i'm not sure about field crafts but i think they are easier since you don't really need to prepare materials, and high level mining/gathering places are most readily available.

I actually prefer burning through leves for combat classes, infact i burned 60ish to get my GLA from 1 - 40 within like 3 days. There isn't many parties before 30 so its faster to solo them via leves.

now once you hit level 40+, if you are in those Natalan parties, you might get to 50 in 1 days time, the xp is ridiculously good in those places. If not, it's still reasonable to do leves 40+.

Mature

Finished my full WAR af thanks to the help of a great LS <3
VBbjZ.jpg

jiggle

leves are really the only solo option as your level increases
they are just not worth doing super early on
one way to conserve leves is to do behest along side them

don't waste leves on the junk gathering quests!
only do the ones that asks for 3 items (not 3 gathering points)
even after the nerf you can still get some CRAZY xp from these well into early lv30s (iirc 9 -15k from 1 single leve, if you're lucky)

if you are willing to party
leves are best for crafting
with some going towards the good gathering leves
and use them for combat (along with behests) when you can't find a PT or don't have much time to play

desu

Does anyone know a good leveling spot for a LVL35 THM (solo)? My gf has been leveling fine so far, but right now she has trouble finding the right spot. Enemies are either too high or too low, or they are almost perfect but there are just not enough of them around.

Sofo

How are the Iron Lake raptors? Not the higher ones but the first ones you do? I wasn't getting many resists when I was done with that camp!

N.A

Banned
Does anyone know a good leveling spot for a LVL35 THM (solo)? My gf has been leveling fine so far, but right now she has trouble finding the right spot. Enemies are either too high or too low, or they are almost perfect but there are just not enough of them around.

Mites or Anglers near Nophica's Wells.

How are the Iron Lake raptors? Not the higher ones but the first ones you do? I wasn't getting many resists when I was done with that camp!

Might wanna try the Antlings near Halatali, same level but no AoE Fire Breath.

Sofo

Might wanna try the Antlings near Halatali, same level but no AoE Fire Breath.
Oh! Dunno if I can solo those, got resists (really bad ones) when I first joined the PT with Ammy and Lavion! Was really fun too, managed to get to 38!

Husker86

Played a bit last night for the first time since launch. Being able to map the arrow keys to camera view made this so much better for me. Back to controlling like I did in XI without need of mouse!

Item Box

Just picked this game from the amazon sale and was playing for a couple hours so far. So here's a stupid question:

I finished the tutorial stuff, and now able to do levequests. Do I just keep doing these until I reach a certain level to progress the story, or do I have to move on to another area?

Caelestis

Just picked this game from the amazon sale and was playing for a couple hours so far. So here's a stupid question:

I finished the tutorial stuff, and now able to do levequests. Do I just keep doing these until I reach a certain level to progress the story, or do I have to move on to another area?

Do the leves, going to completely different area will just give you more of the similar leves to do. They're good to level up faster. As you level up up NPCs will start giving you quests in the town so it'd be good to do those. When I started I was mostly doing leves myself and ignored the story. I didn't even get to the inn until level 17... but you probably shouldn't wait that far since it gives you a resting bonus. xD

If you can hop on around 12:30 am PST tonight, I'll be on :eek:

Thanks, but I wasn't on quite that late :)

I picked it up during the last sale and I've been doing leves to level up, and interspersing the story and sidequests as I can (usually when the resting bonus expires or I run out of leves). Definitely try to get access to the inn ASAP.

My biggest struggle so far in the game is getting good equipment so I'm definitely looking forward to the AH in 2.0

zlatko

Banned
Okay so I reactivated my account. Not because I necessarily have an urge to play, but because my long time FFXI buddy I met in XI is going to switch to XIV and thinks 2.0 will not suck.

I had crysta, reactivated, and will download patches tonight. Few questions:

Does it cost money to swap servers if I'm on the wrong one? Gaf is on Sargantanas right?

I haven't played in forever, but am I still just gonna grind leves solo to level?

Am I better starting a new character or rolling with my current one? Current one had a lot of crafting leveled, and was level 22 Pugilist as highest class.

What's a better class now, Monk or Dragoon? Any reason to stay a pugilist over a Monk?

Is there a good place to look at pics of the new classes to get a feel for them looks wise before I pick one to go with?

Ravidrath

Okay so I reactivated my account. Not because I necessarily have an urge to play, but because my long time FFXI buddy I met in XI is going to switch to XIV and thinks 2.0 will not suck.

I had crysta, reactivated, and will download patches tonight. Few questions:

Does it cost money to swap servers if I'm on the wrong one? Gaf is on Sargantanas right?

I haven't played in forever, but am I still just gonna grind leves solo to level?

Am I better starting a new character or rolling with my current one? Current one had a lot of crafting leveled, and was level 22 Pugilist as highest class.

What's a better class now, Monk or Dragoon? Any reason to stay a pugilist over a Monk?

Is there a good place to look at pics of the new classes to get a feel for them looks wise before I pick one to go with?

1. There is no server move option right now, and won't be until 2.0. How that will actually work is unknown right now.

2. If 22 is your highest, I think you're probably better off rolling a new character on Sargatanas. It doesn't take long at all to get to 22 now - exp. is much faster, especially for crafting classes.

3. You'll probably solo to 20 or so, and then you'll be able to start getting parties. The GAF LS is pretty active with exp. parties, right now, so it's a good time to hop over.

4. Both MNK and DRG got huge boosts in the latest patch, and both are very good now. Someone who actually plays melee can correct me if I'm wrong, but my impression is that DRG does more damage but doesn't have great survivability, while MNK does slightly less and is better at staying alive.

5. This might help you get a sense of the jobs:

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/03/01/a-closer-look-at-final-fantasy-xivs-new-classic-jobs/

zlatko

Banned
1. There is no server move option right now, and won't be until 2.0. How that will actually work is unknown right now.

2. If 22 is your highest, I think you're probably better off rolling a new character on Sargatanas. It doesn't take long at all to get to 22 now - exp. is much faster, especially for crafting classes.

3. You'll probably solo to 20 or so, and then you'll be able to start getting parties. The GAF LS is pretty active with exp. parties, right now, so it's a good time to hop over.

4. Both MNK and DRG got huge boosts in the latest patch, and both are very good now. Someone who actually plays melee can correct me if I'm wrong, but my impression is that DRG does more damage but doesn't have great survivability, while MNK does slightly less and is better at staying alive.

5. This might help you get a sense of the jobs:

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/03/01/a-closer-look-at-final-fantasy-xivs-new-classic-jobs/

Thanks for the answers. I'm sitting on the character creation screen right now, and I just don't know what class to pick from MNK WAR and DRG. I'm going Highlander.

I play Monk in just about every game that lets you: FFXI,D3,etc. I played a lot of DRG in XI and loved it before penta nerf waaaaaaay many years ago. WAR feels like it fits my characters appearance the best and would benefit me for getting groups and leveling faster, but I've never been one to tank.

Does WAR tank mostly by dealing damage and just doing provoke?

Husker86

If the LS is taking low level people I'm on right now. I think I'll be active for a long time but if I'm not I'll leave LS! Creaton Damodred is my name, 12 Gladiator in Ul'Dah area right now.

Teknoman

I'm glad RPGfan actually is trying to do a new review with every huge step towards 2.0. Hopefully next week will be a 2.0 media blowout of sorts.

kiryogi

Banned
Those interested in a pearl, I'm typically on by 12:30a midnight. I also try to log in around 1pm before work to chatter and for pearling new folks.

Times posted are pacific time standard.

Eithne Rain! Give me a tell!

Do research on MoogleBox, and then ask the LS to make it for you.

Thanks, first I've seen of MoogleBox, but it looks great.

Those interested in a pearl, I'm typically on by 12:30a midnight. I also try to log in around 1pm before work to chatter and for pearling new folks.

Times posted are pacific time standard.

Eithne Rain! Give me a tell!

Will you be on tomorrow at 1pm Pacific? I'm off work so I should be able to at least jump on to snag a pearl if you will be around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom