• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ala Alba

Grinded my character up to lvl 19 THM. I'm in Ul'Dah currently but I've had this quest that has been telling me to go to Limsa-Lominsa. Meanwhile I also remember seeing something about having to go to Market Ward when I hit lvl 18 to get a quest there.

Any advice on what I should be doing next?

Go to Limsa Lominsa? Airship fares are pretty cheap (or you could walk all the way out to the port and travel for free, but that's crazy).

Arksy

People used to walk out and ride that boat all the time before airships and chocobos were added if they were out of teleport points.

And that was before mounts. Used to take half a day just to get around. Getting from LL to Gridannia? Forget it.

Edit: Who do I contact about getting into the GAF LS? :D Sargeantas right?

Jinko

Having said that though you need to unlock/visited the instance or be flagged to participate in order to use content finder for that event. You can't 'just' sit in a city and wait for a group, you need to have actually traveled to and found the location in order to do the dungeon etc.

Thats good, WoW used to do this until players complained and they removed it, I guess time will tell if this happens in this game as well.

Saying that most dungeons in this game requires a quest to enter so if they keep that aspect it should work really well.

Arksy

Thats good, WoW used to do this until players complained and they removed it, I guess time will tell if this happens in this game as well.

Saying that most dungeons in this game requires a quest to enter so if they keep that aspect it should work really well.

Attunements were some of the best parts about raiding bceuase you got to experience the story behind the raids. Onyxia and Molten Core had had awesome stories tied the raids. After that it was just a succession of different dragons going crazy and different cartoon-villains comming to the fore.

Jinko

Thanks a bunch. Unfortunately you haven't made the decision to delete and re-roll any easier. The prospect of spending ages getting all the DoW/DoM classes back up to level 15 doesn't sound like a lot of fun, but might be neccessary if I want to play with the GAF Linkshell since it'll cost 9 pounds for that second character slot.

Come to Sarg I will power level you to 20, should take an hour or so.

Attunements were some of the best parts about raiding bceuase you got to experience the story behind the raids. Onyxia and Molten Core had had awesome stories tied the raids. After that it was just a succession of different dragons going crazy and different cartoon-villains comming to the fore.

Yea I really enjoyed the stuff for Kharazan, Black Temple and what not, too bad they removed it.

You didn't PL me :(

I'm glad they added airships and mounts it used to take forever to go from city to city and your survival was never guaranteed.

kiryogi

Banned
And that was before mounts. Used to take half a day just to get around. Getting from LL to Gridannia? Forget it.

Edit: Who do I contact about getting into the GAF LS? :D Sargeantas right?

pearl.png

demonkaze

So me and my brother are about to jump back in and I was wondering whats the quickest way to get patched up to date. I uninstalled a long time and I'm thinking its going to take a very long time to patch it all up via the ingame patcher. If possible i'd like to play this game tonight lol.

Darryl

Banned
So me and my brother are about to jump back in and I was wondering whats the quickest way to get patched up to date. I uninstalled a long time and I'm thinking its going to take a very long time to patch it all up via the ingame patcher. If possible i'd like to play this game tonight lol.

all of the patches are on torrent here, just download them all at once and put them into the proper folder (instructions are on the site). doesn't take long at all if you have a fast internet connection.

Visceir

That said leveling is quite bearable just doing leves.

Isn't the number of leves that you can do quite restricted? I think I got to do like 4 today, which didn't even get me enough exp to gain one level.

I ended up purely grinding on monsters from 21 -> 22 THM. Doing that once in a while is ok but if it was the only way to level then I'd probably forget about the game really fast.

Fortunately lvl 22 opened up the Grand Company quests. Hopefully getting a chocobo won't be all too tough, the time I've spent on walking is ridiculous.

Also noticed just now that I actually had points available in the Point Allotment menu. Dropped 9 into INT, not sure how big of a damage difference I should expect from that though.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Isn't the number of leves that you can do quite restricted? I think I got to do like 4 today, which didn't even get me enough exp to gain one level.

I ended up purely grinding on monsters from 21 -> 22 THM. Doing that once in a while is ok but if it was the only way to level then I'd probably forget about the game really fast.

Fortunately lvl 22 opened up the Grand Company quests. Hopefully getting a chocobo won't be all too tough, the time I've spent on walking is ridiculous.

Also noticed just now that I actually had points available in the Point Allotment menu. Dropped 9 into INT, not sure how big of a damage difference I should expect from that though.

Once you hit 25 or 26, head to Nanawa Mines (almost due north of Ul'dah. There's two rooms of Skeletons in the back area on the first level with fast re-spawn times and they're very easy to pick off with magic. They're usually level 28-30, but a few levels below can still tear through them, with great exp results. Nice hallways outside these rooms with non-agroing monsters.

Mature

Once you let them build up and you get 99 of them, you'll never run out.

To be honest, I have no idea why a leve allowance even exists.

Coldsnap

I sorta want to upgrade my PC to get this game to run better right now I'm running a i5 2500k with a 560 twin frozer GTX... I have no SSD maybe that would be the most immediate thing?

I sorta want to upgrade my PC to get this game to run better right now I'm running a i5 2500k with a 560 twin frozer GTX... I have no SSD maybe that would be the most immediate thing?

Considering that Version 2.0 isn't far out and should have much more reasonable system requirements, it might be worth holding off on upgrading.

Arksy

Considering that Version 2.0 isn't far out and should have much more reasonable system requirements, it might be worth holding off on upgrading.

Agreed. Your system is actually pretty good. It's just that this game is an unoptimised peice of trash. New engine should sort a lot of those issues out.

Will 2.0 come with a new client? It might be useful investing in some pre-2001 technology, you know the kind that allows you to minimise without crashing.....

Your machine is plenty strong. There's no reason to upgrade it, though putting an SSD in any machine is literally like having a new PC from the future and you should have done it yesterday. All my computers are on SSDs now except the ancient Dell laptop and the difference between SSD and HDD is such that I literally can't use computers which have an HDD anymore, it's too painful. I'm about to buy a new laptop and the 2nd thing I'm going to do (after burning off the Recovery discs) is crack it open and put an SSD in it.

Arksy

Awesome. Started in Limsa. In game name is Aeon Flux so if anyone in the GAF LS sees this I could use an invite. :)

Edit: Got it! Cheers to Eithne.

Jinko

You would be much better off getting a group, grinding solo will make you quit the game super fast and yea I have no idea why they have that stupid leve allowance still, I posted in the official forums about it a lot of time how it is off putting to new players but no response as usual.

They should at least allow new players to start off with 99 leve allowance IMO.

demonkaze

So me and my brother are back on Sargentas (sp?) and was wondering if anyone was online to give us a pearl. Still have pearls for Stars of Destiny (i'm leader of this now lol) and Gunsmith Cats lol.

Visceir

Once you hit 25 or 26, head to Nanawa Mines (almost due north of Ul'dah. There's two rooms of Skeletons in the back area on the first level with fast re-spawn times and they're very easy to pick off with magic. They're usually level 28-30, but a few levels below can still tear through them, with great exp results. Nice hallways outside these rooms with non-agroing monsters.

Hmm, went there at lvl 24 and it seemed like quite a hassle as the skeletons itself were agressive. In Limsa Lominsa there I found a place that has lvl 27 - 29 giant crabs. I can easily kill those as my thundara seems to be especially effective against those. I can get the exp chain up to +40% before I run out of mana. Seems way better than the skeletons.

Edit: I'd like an invite too. I've tried messaging Eithne Rain with "/tell Eithne Rain", but it never seems to work :(

Name is Adam Reyn

Item Box

Hopefully Eithne is on later this afternoon so I can also get an invite. The game feels so empty at my level :\
Name: Xaro Daxos

I started playing in May 2012 and I am currently in my 30-day Free Trial period. What do I need to do to qualify for the Legacy campaign?
You will need to register a 90-day subscription option to your account before June 30th, 2012 to be able to fulfill the requirements needed to qualify for the Legacy Campaign

So I have to buy the 90 day sub before it's removed to get legacy? That sucks.

kiryogi

Banned
Hopefully Eithne is on later this afternoon so I can also get an invite. The game feels so empty at my level :\
Name: Xaro Daxos

So I have to buy the 90 day sub before it's removed to get legacy? That sucks.

:eek: harass Jinko Jinko or Nagisa Kamiya, I must go shower.

Jinko

LS/guild is now full, so sadly won't be able to take any more people on unless we start using Nagi's linkshell as overspill linkshell lol.

somesang

LS/guild is now full, so sadly won't be able to take any more people on unless we start using Nagi's linkshell as overspill linkshell lol.

Damnit! I just switched servers and was going to ask for an invite. Well, in game name is Clyde Baram, playing about 2 hours a day so if anyone wants to be my friend, that'd make my day.

Visceir

Guess I'll drop my daily progress update here.

Got to lvl 28 THM. Not sure if I should keep on leveling on the lvl 27 - 29 squids/crabs or if I should go try to find a good place with lvl 30 - 34 crabs/squids. I think I saw some around the Gridania area.

Speaking of Gridania - boy am I glad I didn't pick that as my starting area. Who thought all those tunnels would be a good idea? And that whole place looks so dull and monotonous. Everything looks the same! I seriously hope they will fix that area in 2.0...not just graphics wise but also lose all the tunnels (unlikely).

I have two weapons and I have no clue which is the better one.

Ice Brand
Damage 13
Delay 2.9
DPS: 4.48
Bonuses: Attack magic potency: +14

and

Silver Scepter
Damage 14
Delay 3
DPS: 4.67
Bonuses: Attack magic potency: +6 Magic Accuracy: +12

I have absolutely no clue how the different weapon attributes affect my damage. I'm never even going into attack stance when I level. I'm mainly curious about how attack magic potency compares to main damage. Any help?

I'm also a bit saddened by how dull all the mage armor looks and how little variety there is. I'm constantly looking for new armor/weapons on the market but still using gear from 10 levels ago. I did however find this neat necklace that is meant exactly for lvl 28 and gives me Attack magic potency: +6 and Lightning magic potency: +12, seeing as I mainly use thunder and thundara to level that should be a great help.

Edit: I've yet to talk to anyone in this game...

Stuart444

Just started playing today with my gf. I'm finding it more fun than when I played it just before release during Open Beta.

Started off in Gridania, chose a Miqo'te Lancer while my gf chose a Miqo'te Thaumaturge (she wants to level up and eventually get the Black Mage job while I'm going for the dragoon. And yes I know it means I need to level up a second class as well).

My main problems is, not enough Voice Acting where it seems like there should be voice acting, lag (and optimization) and client lag or whatever you would call it (my laptop which my gf plays on is close behind me on her side but on my side, she seems far away and she stops on her side before she stops on my side. First MMO I've seen two clients display something different when comparing my comp and the laptop)

Still, if those are the main problems I'll encounter then I'm glad I waited til all these patches later :) optimistic about V2.0 when it comes out later this year now.

Also the community that I've seen so far seem nice. Just some nice people coming up and doing emotes like /wave to me. Random but the community seems alright if a bit quiet.

Jinko

Damnit! I just switched servers and was going to ask for an invite. Well, in game name is Clyde Baram, playing about 2 hours a day so if anyone wants to be my friend, that'd make my day.

Give me a shout and i'll see if i can make some room somehow, we may have 3 spaces left lol.

Edit: I've yet to talk to anyone in this game...

Um why not ? are you not on Sargatanas ?

Ravidrath

Wait, so Red Dot II is no longer the active LS? you made another one? lol

I knew it was to quiet after I returned.

Yeah, we had to migrate again because of too many inactive players. Send someone a tell and we'll get you a Red Dot Zero pearl.

I think we should have a few slots open in it.

Returning newbie question: What is the legacy campaign I see some people mentioning and if I just re-upped my account last night, what do I need to do to gain access to it?

notworksafe

Returning newbie question: What is the legacy campaign I see some people mentioning and if I just re-upped my account last night, what do I need to do to gain access to it?

Pay for 90 days of access before the 2.0 beta starts.

You'll get a special chocobo mount in 2.0, your name in the 2.0 credits, cheaper subscription price, and the ability to make 8 characters per server and 40 characters total.
http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/campaign/campaign.html#legacy

Pay for 90 days of access before the 2.0 beta starts.

You'll get a special chocobo mount in 2.0, your name in the 2.0 credits, cheaper subscription price, and the ability to make 8 characters per server and 40 characters total.
http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/campaign/campaign.html#legacy

Do I need to have the 90-day sub all going now? Or is signing up for the 30-day sub for the next few months good? (No free month since it's a returning account.)

notworksafe

Do I need to have the 90-day sub all going now? Or is signing up for the 30-day sub for the next few months good? (No free month since it's a returning account.)

Well the beta is rumored to be starting in September so you'll need 90 days paid before then. The 90 day subscription is the easiest way to make sure you'll be in.

Visceir

Um why not ? are you not on Sargatanas ?

I am. But the whole chat system and UI seems like a mess with all the information going on in there and with how small it is. I think at some point I did accidentally run past Aeon Flux and tried to msg him, but got no response and in 5 seconds the msg was gone from my screen. I imagine it's easy to miss messages like that.

While leveling in another MMORPG recently I could easily send party invites to random people leveling in the same area as I and everything seemed really easy+it had a dungeon match maker where you could just queue up. In FFXIV i feels like the game is actively trying to prevent me from doing that and the fastest way to get things done seems to be soloing.

I doubt I'll be paying for the game past the free month that I got. Not until 2.0 hits anyway.

Arksy

I am. But the whole chat system and UI seems like a mess with all the information going on in there and with how small it is. I think at some point I did accidentally run past Aeon Flux and tried to msg him, but got no response and in 5 seconds the msg was gone from my screen. I imagine it's easy to miss messages like that.

While leveling in another MMORPG recently I could easily send party invites to random people leveling in the same area as I and everything seemed really easy+it had a dungeon match maker where you could just queue up. In FFXIV i feels like the game is actively trying to prevent me from doing that and the fastest way to get things done seems to be soloing.

I doubt I'll be paying for the game past the free month that I got. Not until 2.0 hits anyway.

Sorry for missing you!

Salaadin

Got my chocobo license yesterday. That GC leve is Cassiopeia Hollow is annoying as hell and I dont ever want to see another pudding in my life.
Also hit 35 MRD and 25 ARM. Going to try and make my current gear setup work until MRD40 and then I plan on leveling ARM and BSM up to try and make my own stuff.

Are the Main Scenario missions difficult? Do you need full parties to do them?

Jinko

Go into Configuration (in game) chat log, and add a new tab, you can then filter out stuff you don't want to see, make new tabs specifically for Linkshell, tells and Party, and have battle text in a separate box.

You can invite people by typing /pcmd add personsname, its just a learning process, I agree its very convoluted though.

cruets

Got my chocobo license yesterday. That GC leve is Cassiopeia Hollow is annoying as hell and I dont ever want to see another pudding in my life.
Also hit 35 MRD and 25 ARM. Going to try and make my current gear setup work until MRD40 and then I plan on leveling ARM and BSM up to try and make my own stuff.

Are the Main Scenario missions difficult? Do you need full parties to do them?

you can solo all of the main scenario missions. they are cake.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
There's an awesome interview with Yoshida over at 4Gamer.net that has me extremely excited for the 2.0 update. I may try to translate some or all of it later on, but it's really reassuring to see that Yoshida recognizes how busted the original release was, and that he really knows what he's talking about when it comes to MMORPGs.

http://www.4gamer.net/games/092/G009287/20120615020/

Allard

There's an awesome interview with Yoshida over at 4Gamer.net that has me extremely excited for the 2.0 update. I may try to translate some or all of it later on, but it's really reassuring to see that Yoshida recognizes how busted the original release was, and that he really knows what he's talking about when it comes to MMORPGs.

http://www.4gamer.net/games/092/G009287/20120615020/

There is a translation done for that already :) Reinheart did it on the official forums.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/...JP-to-English)?p=727006&viewfull=1#post727006

Thanks for attempting it otherwise! And yeah it is nice to hear some of the comments Yoshida made about it. Especially the "Is this the debug version?" comment from playing FFXIV for the first time after he took the job XD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom