• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jinko

Any room left in the gaf guild?

We are full right now, maybe Rain or Ravi will reform Red Dot Zero tonight.

FFXIV has epic loot now too ..
epiczd.jpg

Allard

Ack, so I've gotta hit lv30 for Gobbue before the next patch? I guess I'd better hurry up.

Patch 1.23a I mean yeah its coming up quickly but its not the next big patch :)

As for the producer letter its nice that he gave us an update on 1.23, but man just looking at list just tells you we really are at the end of 1.0 coming up. The only new systems that might get transferred over to 2.0 in that patch is the new NM system they hinted at. Everything else has either been released as of patch 1.22c or will be content for the umbral era stuff. Personally I suppose that is for the best as right now my favorite stuff in game is the GC quests and 'when' they update them the live events are kinda fun (For a day or two). Interesting they gave a deadline before server shut down for the goobbue guy, makes you wonder what we are in for gameplay wise for the umbral era storyline, maybe imminent fall of the red moon scares him away!

So my friend won a contest for a Scarf of Wondrous Wit:
http://i.imgur.com/B2b75.jpg/IMG]

I guess the rep didn't notice the lala bots in the background as he was giving her the prize :P
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/qYw84.jpg/IMG][/QUOTE]

XD check out this armada:

[QUOTE][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/xpHXr.jpg

Allard

Isn't that the next one though? And isn't there usually not a lot of advance warning when one is about to go up?

as notworksafe said the letter updates denote an addendum on the larger patch number. Its always Numbered patch first (1.23) followed by number+letter patch (1.23a, 1.23b etc.) The first lettered update usually shows up 1-2 weeks after the initial patch goes live but it might get delayed/be given a larger warning when it drops to give people one last weekend to grab the goobbue. For instance we just had 1.22c drop, 1.22 came out in late April and it was followed by 1.22a nearly 2 weeks later (mostly due to Golden Week).

Allard

Ah OK, I thought 1.23 was last night.

1.23 is what the new producer letter is about :) We get that in late July I guess. Doesn't really matter to me how long it takes for new info to come out now though, I am going to get plenty of 'interesting' news to tide me over this weekend with vanafest happening XD (Yes I know most don't care about FFXI anymore, but I still stay interested in it damn it!) especially when it looks very likely we are getting a proper new expansion to the game, the first in like 4 years.

Husker86

1.23 is what the new producer letter is about :) We get that in late July I guess. Doesn't really matter to me how long it takes for new info to come out now though, I am going to get plenty of 'interesting' news to tide me over this weekend with vanafest happening XD (Yes I know most don't care about FFXI anymore, but I still stay interested in it damn it!) especially when it looks very likely we are getting a proper new expansion to the game, the first in like 4 years.

Is XI subscription still discounted if you have XIV sub?

Allard

Think that was only for a limited time, like the first 3 months of billing.

http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/topics/ffxiv/

I still have an active account for FFXI despite not playing it for nearly a year. I was planning to make the decision to close it based on what Vanafest has to offer and if a proper expansion is coming I might just play it again to get a breather from FFXIV every once in a while. Like I have said in the past, it would be a horrible thing to get burned out on the inferior 1.0 and let 2.0 give you a really sour feeling because of it. I am starting to approach playing fatigue right now for FFXIV (Playing non-stop for nearly 2 months) so I might just go play FFXI again soon depending on what happens this weekend XD. I am bruised and beaten fan of FFXI, I can't help but go back since I played on my character for nearly 6 years straight!

LogicStep

So I'm about to get a companion. As a THM going for BLM what would be the best choice for me? I was thinking a gladiator though I'm not even sure what this companion thing works.

Allard

So I'm about to get a companion. As a THM going for BLM what would be the best choice for me? I was thinking a gladiator though I'm not even sure what this companion thing works.

Choose whoever, the companion really doesn't do much in the fights. Pick based on aesthetics and personality mostly, the gender/race combos all have very different dialogue and attitudes. And when I mean different I mean vastly different, Miqote are sluts, male lalafells are kind of cowardly/sheepish etc. The companion mainly helps during your occasional main quest fight but their damage is pitiful, they rarely heal, they are horrific tanks and so on and so forth. You won't be using them for anything else either so treat them more like a role playing companion who interjects dialogue occasionally while in your main scenario.

LogicStep

Choose whoever, the companion really doesn't do much in the fights. Pick based on aesthetics and personality mostly, the gender/race combos all have very different dialogue and attitudes. And when I mean different I mean vastly different, Miqote are sluts, male lalafells are kind of cowardly/sheepish etc. The companion mainly helps during your occasional main quest fight but their damage is pitiful, they rarely heal, they are horrific tanks and so on and so forth. You won't be using them for anything else either so treat them more like a role playing companion who interjects dialogue occasionally while in your main scenario.
I see, thank you!

notworksafe

Nope, but you'll get the Hermes Shoes in XIV if you're subbed to both.

I picked Miqote and I think it was the wrong call. Should have gone with female Lalafell!

kiryogi

Banned
Warning! Warning!

We would like to take a moment to inform you that the goobbue mount will become unobtainable upon the release of patch 1.23a. Those adventurers who have yet to acquire the goobbue horn with which to summon their very own towering seedkin steed are urged to do so with all haste!

New players that haven't gotten your Gooblue yet, you have about 2 months!

Darryl

Banned
And make sure you got at least one lvl 30 combat class as well.

pretty sure you can have a level 30 of anything. i got it off only 40 fishing. still no combats above lvl 20

vana'fest is on right now. any possibility of FFXIV 2.0 trailer either of these 2 days?

Allard

pretty sure you can have a level 30 of anything. i got it off only 40 fishing. still no combats above lvl 20

vana'fest is on right now. any possibility of FFXIV 2.0 trailer either of these 2 days?

Naw nothing for FFXIV 2.0 at Vanafest, there might have been if Tanaka was still producer of both games (He mentioned maybe combining them both before launch) but its not happening that way anymore :). We might get something new for FFXIV at the french Anime Expo on the 7th of July. Yoshida is going to be there for a stage demonstration and signing and they are allowing cameras in for that from what a rep was saying. That's assuming the promotional site doesn't launch by next week. But Yoshida confirmed in a new interview/summary on mmorpg.com that the trailer and all the real deluge of info on 2.0 would happen in August.

vazel

Banned
I took a break from Secret World to play this and after grinding a few guildleves I can't do any more guildleves. What is this shenanigans? How long do I have to wait to do more guildleves? I want to reach 30 to get my goobbue. I did check Eorzeapedia but it didn't mention this.

Also, the controls suck with both gamepad and keyboard. Really hoping 2.0 fixes that.

Edit: Ok, I see the leve allowances replenish every 12 hours. Not sure what the point of this is but ok.

Jinko

I took a break from Secret World to play this and after grinding a few guildleves I can't do any more guildleves. What is this shenanigans? How long do I have to wait to do more guildleves? I want to reach 30 to get my goobbue. I did check Eorzeapedia but it didn't mention this.

Also, the controls suck with both gamepad and keyboard. Really hoping 2.0 fixes that.

Edit: Ok, I see the leve allowances replenish every 12 hours. Not sure what the point of this is but ok.

It's their attempt at daily quests like WoW, but it falls flat because they use it as the main way to level solo, in 2.0 we will be getting quest chains and what not so I doubt guildleves will be the main way to solo level.

mackaveli

Does this game have a lot of people playing on each server so it looks alive?

Also, should i buy it for $25 bucks?

Can you create unlimited amount of characters or you have to pay for additional ones?

Loot pretty good in this game?

I want to play a MMORPG but don't want to play WoW as I like the FF universe better but is it worth it?

Also does anyone know if FF XIV 2.0 is just a patch update or do you have to buy the game again so if i buy FFXIV for $25 bucks I have to pay like $50 to get 2.0??

Can I still get Legacy status if I pay for 90 day subscription before June 30th?

notworksafe

Can you create unlimited amount of characters or you have to pay for additional ones?

I want to play a MMORPG but don't want to play WoW as I like the FF universe better but is it worth it?

Also does anyone know if FF XIV 2.0 is just a patch update or do you have to buy the game again so if i buy FFXIV for $25 bucks I have to pay like $50 to get 2.0??

1. Sorta. It's not as populous as most MMOs but if you pick a high traffic server there's a good amount of people around.

2. $25 is a good deal but it's $20 for an Amazon download.

3. You have to pay for each character but you can have every class on a single character

4. Good looking? Yeah. Plentiful? Not really. You use gear for 5-10+ levels at a time. I think I used the same belt for something like 17 levels...

5. Depends I guess. It's less hand holdy than WoW but enjoyable to those that want a non-traditional MMO.

6. I don't believe you'll have to rebuy the game for 2.0.

Can I still get Legacy status if I pay for 90 day subscription before June 30th?

notworksafe answered your questions pretty well but about the Legacy Status, only those who registered the game before May 31 can get Legacy Status unless they changed it.

Zozobra

Former long-time FFXI player here. I absolutely loved that game, but I stopped playing shortly after 'Treasures of Aht Urhgan' came out.

I tried the beta for this and really didn't enjoy it; however, I just found out about this relaunch and if they're going to be introducing some stuff from XI, I'd be very interested to give this another shot. With the changes to come, does it sound like this game is going to appeal to someone who really enjoyed FFXI in its prime?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom