• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

LogicStep

So what's the difference between the Grand Companies? I'm at the point where I can go with any of them. Should I go with the GC that's in my starting city or does that not matter? I heard that the only difference is the loot but they all have loot for all classes. Also, your chocobos can be pimped up with gear from these GCs, is there anywhere to see the different loot and compare it and see how the chocobos look depending on your GC?

I'm planning on either playing a BLM or Dragoon when I get that high.

Visceir

So what's the difference between the Grand Companies? I'm at the point where I can go with any of them. Should I go with the GC that's in my starting city or does that not matter? I heard that the only difference is the loot but they all have loot for all classes. Also, your chocobos can be pimped up with gear from these GCs, is there anywhere to see the different loot and compare it and see how the chocobos look depending on your GC?

I'm planning on either playing a BLM or Dragoon when I get that high.

I finished the quests today and joined the Ul'Dah's Immortal Flames. The quests itself were REALLY annoying. It really bothered me how they made you do the quests of each GC. Just when I had finished all the quests the first time around the game made me do a mission for EACH grand company all over again(initial joining+500 badge quest+300 badge quest). So much pointless running and wasting time only to get there and kill some npc's that were killed by one magic attack.

To ease the pain I ended up wasting half my teleport points to get to the next location faster and skipping the cutscenes as at that point I really didn't give a f anymore and just wanted to be done with it.

I actually kinda hoped that the story would be something that would make me want to play more of the game but this far it has been really underwhelming. Especially when there aren't even any cutscenes but just a wall of text gets thrown at you. I tried to read in the beginning but now I've just fallen back to clicking through the next and checking the next location I need to go to.

NinjaJesus

Aight, just joined, really excited to start playing. I'm on Aegis trying to figure out what I should be doing lol. Also, I just got level 5 grinding Lost Lambs...think I can get 30 and get the Gobbuue mount before the patch?

Mastamind

Aight, just joined, really excited to start playing. I'm on Aegis trying to figure out what I should be doing lol. Also, I just got level 5 grinding Lost Lambs...think I can get 30 and get the Gobbuue mount before the patch?

Me and a friend went from 16-23 today in a few hours. Once we grouped with others doing leves and behest the xp sped up considerably. 20-23 took less than 2h with us pausing when it got close to time to behest.

Jinko

I finished the quests today and joined the Ul'Dah's Immortal Flames. The quests itself were REALLY annoying. It really bothered me how they made you do the quests of each GC. Just when I had finished all the quests the first time around the game made me do a mission for EACH grand company all over again(initial joining+500 badge quest+300 badge quest). So much pointless running and wasting time only to get there and kill some npc's that were killed by one magic attack.

To ease the pain I ended up wasting half my teleport points to get to the next location faster and skipping the cutscenes as at that point I really didn't give a f anymore and just wanted to be done with it.

I actually kinda hoped that the story would be something that would make me want to play more of the game but this far it has been really underwhelming. Especially when there aren't even any cutscenes but just a wall of text gets thrown at you. I tried to read in the beginning but now I've just fallen back to clicking through the next and checking the next location I need to go to.

Yea those long quests are a pain in the butt, you have to remember though for long term players this stuff was done in small sections each patch, so It probably didn't seem to bad to us.

Since Hamlet was added there is a lesser need to worry about Anima also, anyone can gain anima back at the hamlets (Golden Bazaar, Aleport and Hyrtsmill) by handing in items.

You can get the items from completing Caravan runs.

You'll regret not coming to Sargatanas, everyone does eventually :D

kiryogi

Banned

On a diff note, we have space in the LS if you were still interested.

My hours:
pearl.png

Also, Jinko Jinko, Rin Morikaze, Nagisa Kamiya, Vice Winter, Ravidrath Astolph can pearl you as well.

Coldsnap

Some give me a history lesson:

So Tanka and Yoshi-P have similar jobs? Tanka did XI then started XIV but SE switch Yoshi-P over to Tankas position to hopefully save the game? How is Baby formed?

Hope Tanka is OK.

Some give me a history lesson:

So Tanka and Yoshi-P have similar jobs? Tanka did XI then started XIV but SE switch Yoshi-P over to Tankas position to hopefully save the game?

Hope Tanka is OK.

Tanaka seemed to have been stuck in 2002 when he created FFXIV, one must think if he ever played another MMO besides his own in the last 10 years or just thought what worked 10 years ago still works now. Well as we all know that didn't work and FFXIV bombed hard, instead of shutting it down S-E decided to replace Tanaka with Yoshi-P to try and save the game and I must say that he have done a pretty good job turning things around so far but we'll really see how it goes with 2.0. One thing Yoshi seems to be that Tanaka was not is being in touch with the community and actually play other MMO games. Whoever designed the current interface need a slap on face, I mean just looks at this, this is how selling stuff was during launch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EaGvRv6jqw

Now they have changed it a bit and it is a little faster to sell stuff but way to slow compared to other MMO games. All this will be fixed in 2.0 though but one have to think why FFXIV, developed on PC first and came out long after WoW still managed to have a interface like that.

At launch everything in the game pretty much was working against the player, make it as hard as possible to level and if you got too much exp you would not get anymore exp, also you could only do a few leve quests a day.

Of course no one except the hardcores stayed to play the game, it got shit reviews and eventually Tanaka stepped down and Yoshi took over, the game is enjoyable right now and I'm having fun playing but if there was no 2.0 coming I don't think I would have come back and started playing again.

All the best to Tanakas health though and hope he gets better.

Arksy

Yoshi-P is also going to take the game in directions that Tanaka would never have dreamed of, such as the inclusion of PVP and other non-guildleve based content. Yoshi-P really seems to have his shit in order. I think the game would have been as successful as some of the other big MMO releases such as RIFT/SWTOR if the intial version was what 2.0 was going to be.

Coldsnap

Man, I'm so done with Hamlet yet the sad fact is I've just started. And if this party decides to not include me on seals rotation then I have REALLY just started.

Allard

Misc. Rep news of the day.

The recently added behest portion of the Relic Reborn quest is getting a fix where instead of the Allagan band dropping in a loot pool upon completion, it will be handed to the player (assuming they meet the requirements for the quest for completion) by the behest master at the end of quest. Yoshi-P did not specify if this was random drop or not, but it does mean the Allagan Band will not go to unneeded players anymore.

In 2.0 Gathering fatigue as we know it is going to be eliminated but they also wanted to say that they don't want people constantly gathering in the same place 24/7. Further details will come out as they get closer to 2.0. So gathering fatigue where after a while of straight gathering you no longer can get items is eliminated, but the way it was worded makes me think there will be a system in place like Archaeology in WoW where after a certain amount of successful mining/logging/fishing points you won't be able to gather there again till you go somewhere else for a bit. Like from Iron Lake to Halatali etc.

In a question asked by a poster about possibly having a tent or 'cottage' in the field to get rested bonus (Like old school Final Fantasy games) the rep said he would take the idea to the developers but at this time no such function is planned. Having said that though he says it will be possible in 2.0 to get rested EXP at encampments but they are planning to design 2.0 rested EXP where you can't accrue it while crafting.

Teleport and return are going to be redesigned and for new players they will not have access to it right away. They must unlock the function through quests but the rep promised the quests would not be hard, in fact Return will become available at the end of the new tutorial/starting quests, and Teleport will come soon after. (Maybe a quest to attune yourself to an aether node and at the end of it you get access to the teleport feature, and that it tells you go out and attune yourself with all the other nodes so newer players are aware of the function since in the current game its not really spelled out for you.)

kiryogi

Banned
Woooooooooow?

So that burn dot was crazy. And it came from the vulcan? It makes the melee an issue, but the plumes all spawn in the middle (the normal place of ranged DD) now. Looks like it's going to be a severe gear check, naturally. Gonna need some fire resist materia stuff D:

80% hellfire lawlz.

gatti-man

Question: if im an OG player that played the first two to three months of release only, is my character still there? I tried logging into the loadstone and it said i didnt have a character tied to my account :-/

Salaadin

Question: if im an OG player that played the first two to three months of release only, is my character still there? I tried logging into the loadstone and it said i didnt have a character tied to my account :-/

It should be. I was also an original player and all I had to do was log in to lodestone and reactivate. Only thing I can think of is that you permanently deleted your character or youre logging in under the wrong account.

Estival

Did I really just get denied from joining a shout for a story mission for being "not experienced enough" ? Yes... wake me up when there's a new batch of players, please. The general community within the game seems a little too concerned with this "experienced players only" stuff. It's a huge turnoff for me.

Did I really just get denied from joining a shout for a story mission for being "not experienced enough" ? Yes... wake me up when there's a new batch of players, please. The general community within the game seems a little too concerned with this "experienced players only" stuff. It's a huge turnoff for me.

All MMOs are like this. The communities of MMOs went into the shitter after WoW and have been terrible since. Basically you should only play an MMO at launch or not at all unless you have a pre-baked group of friends. I hear that large websites have communities with nice people though and you don't need to fill out a job application to join their guilds. I heard of this one site called NeoGAF which has an LS with cool people, but I think those are just unsubstantiated rumors.

Kronotech

Ok so two questions for GAF on Sarg server...

1. What are the cries about the imperials coming near the camps? I ran to one of the enemy groups once but there was no one else around and I didn't think taking on the 100 Imperials by myself was a good idea. Does anyone do this?

2. Any jobs that the LS is lacking? I had initially planned on DRG although I'm open to options.

Estival

All MMOs are like this. The communities of MMOs went into the shitter after WoW and have been terrible since. Basically you should only play an MMO at launch or not at all unless you have a pre-baked group of friends. I hear that large websites have communities with nice people though and you don't need to fill out a job application to join their guilds. I heard of this one site called NeoGAF which has an LS with cool people, but I think those are just unsubstantiated rumors.

That makes me sad. The only other MMO I ever played was FFXI, and while JP-Only was a similar phenomenon, I thought we were past this kind of thing as far as pickup groups are concerned. Especially because this particular instance was just a standard grand company mission, which I thought were meant to be accessible.

Side note, I was in Red Dot but got removed as soon as I signed back in during the Welcome Back campaign. I know there are linkshell size restraints so I didn't bother asking for another pearl unless I was sure I'd be staying with the game. Same reason I never bothered trying to join any others. Oh well.

kiryogi

Banned
Ok so two questions for GAF on Sarg server...

1. What are the cries about the imperials coming near the camps? I ran to one of the enemy groups once but there was no one else around and I didn't think taking on the 100 Imperials by myself was a good idea. Does anyone do this?

2. Any jobs that the LS is lacking? I had initially planned on DRG although I'm open to options.

1. Totally take one on solo. Super easy, great drops too! Teehee.

2. BRD/BLM/WHM always loved. . . . We have tons of DRG

That makes me sad. The only other MMO I ever played was FFXI, and while JP-Only was a similar phenomenon, I thought we were past this kind of thing as far as pickup groups are concerned. Especially because this particular instance was just a standard grand company mission, which I thought were meant to be accessible.

Side note, I was in Red Dot but got removed as soon as I signed back in during the Welcome Back campaign. I know there are linkshell size restraints so I didn't bother asking for another pearl unless I was sure I'd be staying with the game. Same reason I never bothered trying to join any
others. Oh well.

You weren't removed (we don't have the tools to if you're not online XD) The shell was destroyed and reformed. You're always welcome to rejoin, but pretty please take the time to log on and drop your pearl if you're planning to quit.

Mature

Side note, I was in Red Dot but got removed as soon as I signed back in during the Welcome Back campaign. I know there are linkshell size restraints so I didn't bother asking for another pearl unless I was sure I'd be staying with the game. Same reason I never bothered trying to join any others. Oh well.
Are you playing/staying?

Kronotech

1. Totally take one on solo. Super easy, great drops too! Teehee.

2. BRD/BLM/WHM always loved. . . . We have tons of DRG

1. You have a very trusting laugh so I'll go give it a shot!

2. Haha least favorite classes. But BRD might be a fun one this time around.

Absol

Yey. After not logging in for about a month, finally got to level 30 and got the Goobbue mount. That's one less thing to worry about since I'll be gone again for a few weeks with no access to a gaming worthy computer.

Jinko

Thinking WoW had anything to do with that is a little naive, geeks and nerds are known for being assholes when playing video games, that is the real reason.

You're right about carving out a good group of friends/players to do stuff with, that's what MMO's are about though isn't it ?

This is a double edged blade, without a good community you won't last in this game, you should probably get a pearl, its only a couple of months untill 2.0 beta anyway.

B-Dex

I kinda dig the new logo Final Fantasy x|v.

Tempted to get to 30 to snag the gobbue mount asap. FFXI new expansion got me hyped for both games :(.

BLCKATK

Hello fellow Eorzeans!

Just got 50 DRG after painfully playing WHM at every event on my linkshell. I have to say Dragoon is definitely some of the most fun I've had on the game. Almost as fun as BRD and I love seeing those huge chunks of damage. Makes me think of leveling BLM, but I think I can't bring myself to just because of how much of a grudge I hold against all those people saying that BLM was the only class to bring for DPS. I'll show them!

Jijidasu

Jeez. I just noticed the promo site still isn't up after they repeatedly said it'll be up very soon after E3. I need something to look at!

Been playing for a while and the server looks kinda dead compared to FFXI anyway, the "AH" is kinda empty, I guess everyone is on the Jeuno like city.

Jinko

Yes everyone is in Uldah thats where you go to find people shouting for quests and parties.

Sad but true, I really hope with content finder in 2.0 people will stop flocking to Ul'dah so much.

Jeez. I just noticed the promo site still isn't up after they repeatedly said it'll be up very soon after E3. I need something to look at!

Their meaning of soon is like 1-2 months lol, I doubt it will be up until August when they are read to show the trailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom