• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allard

Sad but true, I really hope with content finder in 2.0 people will stop flocking to Ul'dah so much.

Their meaning of soon is like 1-2 months lol, I doubt it will be up until August when they are read to show the trailer.

The last producer letter said the promotion site would be up 'very soon' and told us to hold on. My guess is its supposed to be up either at the end of this week or early next week. Yoshida is giving a demonstration in Paris for 2.0 on the 7th of July so my guess it goes up before or right around that date.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
The new information on XI has sparked my interest. Also, TERA was a let down and D3 was poo. Is XIV improving to the point where it will be worth my time to come back and try and level again?

meep!

Neo Member
Decided to try FF14 again! Been over 1.5 years since I played so hopefully things are better now (2.0 looks like it's going to be great).

Installing and patching the game right now, probably going to take awhile for all those patches. They still don't have an official gamedownload of a newer version? I had to find my old DVD to install it.

Meep Moop has returned! (for awhile atleast).

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
There are no characters on this FINAL FANTASY XIV service account. Use of the Lodestone requires an account with at least one character.

Boooo

E: Game is almost ready to play. I'll be starting an Archer after work. Server?

Effect

Have they been patching the client to make it ready for 2.0 or are they expecting people to download a completely new client with these current patches just for the original client?

Second day playing, and crafting is tons of fun, I think I'm going to play this game for a long time.

I just have some lag issues, I think my pc is not that good, hopefully version 2.0 fixes that.

Oh, my name is Rene Ambrose, I'm on Gridania if someone can give em a pearl for the GAF ls.

kiryogi

Banned
Second day playing, and crafting is tons of fun, I think I'm going to play this game for a long time.

I just have some lag issues, I think my pc is not that good, hopefully version 2.0 fixes that.

Oh, my name is Rene Ambrose, I'm on Gridania if someone can give em a pearl for the GAF ls.

Are you on right now?

Velocity

I'm sick of Diablo 3's mess, I don't want to go back to WoW, and FFXI will get my love again when the new expansion hits. Final Fantasy X|V here I come.

I plan to play after work tonight and hopefully grab a linkpearl from someone. Aside from the standard BLM or WHM usefulness, what other classes are considered all-around good to have for parties? I'm not really the healing type, but I like just about any other role. Any suggestions? Also, what area should I start in, or does it matter?

Allard

Have they been patching the client to make it ready for 2.0 or are they expecting people to download a completely new client with these current patches just for the original client?

Completely new client. the entire game and all its files are going to be restructured, deleted, added on top of a new compiling engine. So all these patches are just for the original client to give players a better game over time while they work away on 2.0. The funny thing is Yoshida says that going from 1.0 to 2.0 is an upgrade rather then a new game, but outside of some combat functions everything he says about 2.0 makes it seem like an entirely different game XD.

Allard

Is Archer/Bard as expensive to play as RNG was in FFXI?

Not really, the concept and importance of gil in this game isn't that bad. On my server the highest costing arrows are 45k a stack (A stack is 999 instead of 99 like it was in FFXI) which you can get back easily just by doing leves or selling Materia if you constantly buy cheap items to spirit bond with. And that's just minimal effort, leveling a gathering class (in conjunction with a crafting class) can get you more gil then you know what to do with pretty fast. I spent 'maybe' 2 hours of mining and went away with 1.8 mil worth of items after I crafted my ores into nuggets to sell on the market. You are going to spend more money on double melded+ equipment then you will ever need to worry about for ammunition, same as any class really. Consumables for the most part are almost always buyable with at least minimal effort securing gil.

Effect

Completely new client. the entire game and all its files are going to be restructured, deleted, added on top of a new compiling engine. So all these patches are just for the original client to give players a better game over time while they work away on 2.0. The funny thing is Yoshida says that going from 1.0 to 2.0 is an upgrade rather then a new game, but outside of some combat functions everything he says about 2.0 makes it seem like an entirely different game XD.

Thanks.

So there is no point at all in updating the game in order to be ready for 2.0 then. Better to just wait until 2.0 launches and then launch the game and have it patch over several nights. :(

Need a pearl! Where can I get a new one from? Currently in Grid.

Oision Fion here.

edit: What's the easiest way to get serpent seals, I just want my chocobo already @.@

Kronotech

Not really, the concept and importance of gil in this game isn't that bad. On my server the highest costing arrows are 45k a stack (A stack is 999 instead of 99 like it was in FFXI) which you can get back easily just by doing leves or selling Materia if you constantly buy cheap items to spirit bond with. And that's just minimal effort, leveling a gathering class (in conjunction with a crafting class) can get you more gil then you know what to do with pretty fast. I spent 'maybe' 2 hours of mining and went away with 1.8 mil worth of items after I crafted my ores into nuggets to sell on the market. You are going to spend more money on double melded+ equipment then you will ever need to worry about for ammunition, same as any class really. Consumables for the most part are almost always buyable with at least minimal effort securing gil.

Good to know. I'm up to 15 in GSM, WEA, and TAN for crafting but I can pick up mining just for the hell of it. Thanks for the info!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So far, good night. Got ARC up to 20 and CNJ up to 8 (some random guy PL'd my CNJ so I can have cure and protect wooo).

E: Scratch that, got all jobs except GLD up to 10 (I forgot to buy a GLD weapon). Definitely going to make solo'ing easier with protect and second wind at my disposal! The one thing I still can't get a feel for is the tab targeting. It feels off.

Teknoman

Good to see more familiar faces returning.

Velocity

So, I finally logged on and have a Level 6 LNC in Uldah named Vel Kriez. Just a heads up if people get some random tell asking for a pearl. I have no real idea what I should be doing in the game aside from leveling up and doing guild leves.

Jinko

So far, good night. Got ARC up to 20 and CNJ up to 8 (some random guy PL'd my CNJ so I can have cure and protect wooo).

E: Scratch that, got all jobs except GLD up to 10 (I forgot to buy a GLD weapon). Definitely going to make solo'ing easier with protect and second wind at my disposal! The one thing I still can't get a feel for is the tab targeting. It feels off.

Tab targeting is completely broken most people use the left and right arrows which isn't a whole lot better.

I hope they finally sort targeting out in 2.0 so far they haven't had a clue on the numerous times they have tried to fix it.

recent ff xi news make me really miss playing ff xi online. I've never been hardcore player, only reach lv 30s, but I really like the atmosphere in that game. no mmo I've tried ever since can really compare, not even WoW. if I want to go back to some FF MMO, should I try FF XIV? or should I just buy FF XI again? I'm pretty sure my old ff xi account is gone, but it's only $10 for the collection.

also, I'm gonna play casually, so no way I can stay late for hours forming party and play till morning like I did during my FF XI days. don't know if XI has changed into more solo friendly or not. how's XIV about playing it casual? (as in weekly, or just 1 hour at a time etc, can you accomplish stuff in an hour? I remember forming parties alone in XI can take up to an hour for me)

Jinko

recent ff xi news make me really miss playing ff xi online. I've never been hardcore player, only reach lv 30s, but I really like the atmosphere in that game. no mmo I've tried ever since can really compare, not even WoW. if I want to go back to some FF MMO, should I try FF XIV? or should I just buy FF XI again? I'm pretty sure my old ff xi account is gone, but it's only $10 for the collection.

also, I'm gonna play casually, so no way I can stay late for hours forming party and play till morning like I did during my FF XI days. don't know if XI has changed into more solo friendly or not. how's XIV about playing it casual? (as in weekly, or just 1 hour at a time etc, can you accomplish stuff in an hour? I remember forming parties alone in XI can take up to an hour for me)

FFXIV doesn't have the same feel as FFXI IMO, but it does retain some of it and I'm sure they can get that kind of feeling and nostalgia in 2.0 though.

FFXIV is a much more casual game, you can level solo all the way to 50 if you want to, there is a lot of group content but none of it is required.

Saying that FFXI has changed a lot in the last few years and is a lot more casual now also.

I personally would never advise someone to go back to 11, but at the same time I would probably tell people to wait until 2.0 or 2.0 beta until they try FFXIV.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Tab targeting is completely broken most people use the left and right arrows which isn't a whole lot better.

I hope they finally sort targeting out in 2.0 so far they haven't had a clue on the numerous times they have tried to fix it.

OK, as long as it's not just me being terrible at it. Is there a way to target an enemy that a certain party member is targeting?

Also, do most people not use the mouse at all? I finally have enough skills to make use of 2 hot bars, but scrolling between them is odd since I have to use the up arrow.

And finally! When does 1.23 drop? I want to make sure I've got time to get ARC up to 30 before leveling CNJ up for Stoneskin. I'm 20 now, so if I get lucky and find a party, I should be able to hit 30 relatively quickly.

FFXIV doesn't have the same feel as FFXI IMO, but it does retain some of it and I'm sure they can get that kind of feeling and nostalgia in 2.0 though.

FFXIV is a much more casual game, you can level solo all the way to 50 if you want to, there is a lot of group content but none of it is required.

Saying that FFXI has changed a lot in the last few years and is a lot more casual now also.

I personally would never advise someone to go back to 11, but at the same time I would probably tell people to wait until 2.0 or 2.0 beta until they try FFXIV.

thanks for the answer, I think I'll go try FF XIV. 2.0 will come sooner or later anyway.
now I have to figure out where to buy the game. do you know if I can use Indonesian Credit Card in US version of the game?

Jinko

OK, as long as it's not just me being terrible at it. Is there a way to target an enemy that a certain party member is targeting?

Also, do most people not use the mouse at all? I finally have enough skills to make use of 2 hot bars, but scrolling between them is odd since I have to use the up arrow.

And finally! When does 1.23 drop? I want to make sure I've got time to get ARC up to 30 before leveling CNJ up for Stoneskin. I'm 20 now, so if I get lucky and find a party, I should be able to hit 30 relatively quickly.

I doubt 1.23 will be till the middle of July, probably best to get to 30 and get your goobbue as soon as possible though.

There is a hot key to target both the closest target and the closest claimed target in the keyboard configurations.

Most people use gamepads at the moment, I'm expecting that to change in 2.0 though.

@Callibretto no idea bout using Indonesian CC with US version of the game, I can't see why it would be an issue, but SE are known for being dicks with payment stuff so who knows.

Riposte

Soloing 35+ seems highly impractical to me. You are basically grinding leves until you lose the will to live. Right now I'm working on the title "Sword of Eorzea" and it is tough.

Soloing 35+ seems highly impractical to me. You are basically grinding leves until you lose the will to live. Right now I'm working on the title "Sword of Eorzea" and it is tough.

I've actually soloed to 42 so far as a THM without any issue. I don't do leves unless I have rested bonus and it doesn't take much time at all to get each level. I'd prefer to group up, but my time to play is limited, and when it's not I haven't been able to find a group.

Speaking of that, is there a better way then just waiting for shouts in Uldah?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I've actually soloed to 42 so far as a THM without any issue. I don't do leves unless I have rested bonus and it doesn't take much time at all to get each level. I'd prefer to group up, but my time to play is limited, and when it's not I haven't been able to find a group.

I got my leveling partner last night by just shouting myself. Why wait for someone else, eh? ;)

erawsd

I was torn by the same decision a few weeks ago. I ended up going with FFXIV and I've really enjoyed the game so far. The game def caters to a gamer that doesn't want to devote themselves to the game -- in fact, it seems like you get punished for spending to much time on the game.

All that said, I still can't shake the feelings of nostalgia. There are a lot of familiar elements, but it doesn't quite "hit the spot".

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Relics complete on my server.

6K9Yn.jpg

Bonus?

Can someone give me a quick run down on what the 'advanced' jobs are? Someone in LS chat told me if I'm going to solo to not unlock warrior but to keep on MRD. I'm kind of confused on this.

Bonus?

Can someone give me a quick run down on what the 'advanced' jobs are? Someone in LS chat told me if I'm going to solo to not unlock warrior but to keep on MRD. I'm kind of confused on this.

any time you spend (even time logged out) in your inn room (unlocked via a quest at about level 10 or 11 I think) grants you resting bonus that provides +50% xp from killing mobs/crafting/gathering. I log off in my room every night, and if you don't get on every day, or do something other than level up when you are logged on, it starts to add up.

Even at level 42 I have more than a full level worth of bonus which means I could easily hit level 44 or 45 tonight with 90 minutes or so of doing leves (unless I run out of bonus in which case I would probably do some quests).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom