• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone needs to figure out how to mod in arrow keys for camera. :lol

Kandinsky said:
So can you upgrade a buddypass to a regular/full ffxiv account? would suck for my buddy to lose his progress.

Almost certain you can. THere's even speculation that the buddy code is essentially a full license for the game, since when you register the service it shows up identically to the full service registered with the game code.

Canti

Kandinsky said:
So can you upgrade a buddypass to a regular/full ffxiv account? would suck for my buddy to lose his progress.
It has all the same functions as another full account, no need to buy a copy of the game.

HappyB said:
Almost certain you can. THere's even speculation that the buddy code is essentially a full license for the game, since when you register the service it shows up identically to the full service registered with the game code.

I explained my situation with this here.

EDIT: updater still crashing with avast turned off >:

jiggle

i use both
and i prefer the keyboard
plus the ps3 controller keeps turning my ps3 ons, so annoying

new patch not downloading :<
/feign shock

edit: yay looks like teh krizz will continue hosting patches

Kyoufu

Controller right now sucks because you can't really target a specific mob very well when there is more than 1 target in front of you.

Also using the dpad to select 9 abilities on your bar.......yeah no thanks. ;/

^^^ all this coming from someone who played FFXI religiously with a controller.

Jinko

HappyBivouac said:
Someone needs to figure out how to mod in arrow keys for camera. :lol

Someone needs to write a program to reassign the keys, kind of like Xpadder but for keyboard, there must be something already out there that does this ?

Kandinsky

HappyBivouac said:
Canti said:
It has all the same functions as another full account, no need to buy a copy of the game.

I explained my situation with this here.
:O Thanks.

Anyone else getting lots of crashes caused by D3D9.dll? I got them in OB, and I still get them, and my friends don't. They tend to happen frequently enough that I just can't reliably participate in Leves. I've got the latest Catalyst drivers (10.9, happened with 10.8 as well) for my Radeon, I've tried reinstalling Windows 7, I even changed graphics cards, at one point trying an nVidia 250 a friend had (didn't help), later on upgrading from my Radeon 5750 to a 5870 (SUCH a nice upgrade - more than doubled my benchmark score). I've run a full RAM test to make sure my 4GB system RAM isn't the problem. Nothing is overclocked on my system.

I sent Square a tech-support mail last night, but I dunno how helpful they could be with something like this.

Jinko

Dreamwriter said:
Anyone else getting lots of crashes caused by D3D9.dll? I got them in OB, and I still get them, and my friends don't. They tend to happen frequently enough that I just can't reliably participate in Leves. I've got the latest Catalyst drivers (10.9, happened with 10.8 as well) for my Radeon, I've tried reinstalling Windows 7, I even changed graphics cards, at one point trying an nVidia 250 a friend had (didn't help), later on upgrading from my Radeon 5750 to a 5870 (SUCH a nice upgrade - more than doubled my benchmark score). I've run a full RAM test to make sure my 4GB system RAM isn't the problem. Nothing is overclocked on my system.

I sent Square a tech-support mail last night, but I dunno how helpful they could be with something like this.

You made sure you have the latest Direct X release ?

BTW londa, check this out, might be worth you submitting to them and trying to get your account changed to a new one or corrected.

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/news/detail?newsId=a206296294516a2dafaae30165c3d64487108899

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Jinko said:
Someone needs to write a program to reassign the keys, kind of like Xpadder but for keyboard, there must be something already out there that does this ?

Sharpkeys? Maybe, I think the remaps change for everything though lol.

Jinko said:
I have whatever comes with (and is then updated by) Windows 7; I believe it is DirectX 10.1. Back in Beta before I reinstalled Windows, I tried downloading the updater, it said I had either the latest version or a newer version than the newest.

Jinko

Dreamwriter said:
I have whatever comes with (and is then updated by) Windows 7; I believe it is DirectX 10.1. Back in Beta before I reinstalled Windows, I tried downloading the updater, it said I had either the latest version or a newer version than the newest.

Try This

careksims

Damn. I just read about Londa's problem. I really hope that gets fixed because that's some simple shit to fix and they won't let her?

Also I use k/b/mouse/xb 360 controller. So far it seems to work out.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
valenti said:
dang how to farm 40k gold..

Note about gold to you guys:

Unlike open beta, the leve rewards aren't as good. However, you still get money. AND, others who leve share get money.

Also, unlike open beta, NPCs now sell some rank 10-ish weapons for around 50K-ish gil.

This is how you can make lots of money in a relatively short amount of time and get (maybe) some okay experience.

1. Get a large group together.

2. Everyone grab rank 10 leves, even if you're still like rank 2 or 3. As long as you have enough people, you can probably do 1-star rank 10 leves with a big party of rank 1 characters.

3. Coordinate your leves. Make sure no one gets the same leve.

4. Go to the tank 10 area and do the leves, have everyone share it. 1-3 stars. When the average level of your party gets to above 5, you can try for 4, and then eventually 5 stars.

5. You can risk higher difficulty to gain more exp and SP, but difficulty scales up fast, so be careful. Dodo leves are particularly hard, so maybe 3 or 4 star it at the most until you are sure you can handle it.

(Unless you're doing 5 star difficulty, or have lots to burn, don't bother with guardian aspect. It's kind of a waste).

6. When all of you have done your leves, have one person teleport the group back to town (or walk). Now, coordinate again, and get more rank 10 leves. At this point, it is probably unlikely that you still have a lot of overlaps (unless your group is huge) so you may as well just accept whatever rank 10 leves you got left.

7. Return to the rank 10 area. Do the rest of the leves.

8. Teleport the group to a different town. Rinse. Repeat.

BE ON THE LOOKOUT FOR CHESTS THAT RANDOMLY SPAWN SOMEWHERE ON THE MAP DURING A LEVE. THEY CONTAIN PHAT LEWT. A lot of people forget about this.

You can get about 1.2K gil per quest. Do it enough times, and you'll have a lot of money fairly early into the game.

Let's do it later. I need 40K to buy my rank 9 axe in Limsa.

Also, if anyone is crafting some body equipment, I could sure use something. I'm still shirtless ; ;

Coldsnap

I had a bad thought today. I betcha the fatigue system gets a huge change during the playstation 3 launch because of people which are playing the PC version are way ahead in content. It will sort of give the Ps3 people a chance to catch up.

Coldsnap said:
I had a bad thought today. I betcha the fatigue system gets a huge change during the playstation 3 launch because of people which are playing the PC version are way ahead in content. It will sort of give the Ps3 people a chance to catch up.

As in decrease fatigue to almost nothing? What's bad about that?

The main reason we have fatigue is probably b/c there is no endgame content. It's part of the game now, just enjoy it. Level different classes and spread it out and you shouldn't run into fatigue unless you're playing 10+ hours a day.

Coldsnap

demosthenes said:
As in decrease fatigue to almost nothing? What's bad about that?

The main reason we have fatigue is probably b/c there is no endgame content. It's part of the game now, just enjoy it. Level different classes and spread it out and you shouldn't run into fatigue unless you're playing 10+ hours a day.

That is not a good thing. If this is the true reason why they are doing it then in my opinion that is some of the most ass backwards game design I have ever heard of. It's also a damn genius idea....

Amneisac

Coldsnap said:
That is not a good thing. If this is the true reason why they are doing it then in my opinion that is some of the most ass backwards game design I have ever heard of. It's also a damn genius idea....

Every MMO has done a similar thing at launch, they always make it slow to level for the early adopters. Even WoW has greatly reduced the amount of XP required to hit 80 over the years. At first I hated the fatigue system, but now I kind of get it, and it isn't going to affect 90% of the players.

Now, stacking guildleve limits AND cooldowns... that's a little dirty because that basically means all you can do is grind after you've played for an hour or two.

Thinking more about this server queue thing, that's kind of surprising that it would happen at this point since we haven't even had the "real" launch yet.

Salaadin

Amneisac said:
Now, stacking guildleve limits AND cooldowns... that's a little dirty because that basically means all you can do is grind after you've played for an hour or two.

Thats apparently a typo by SE. Regional and Local are still separate. I havent seen it myself though.

notworksafe

Salaadin said:
Thats apparently a typo by SE. Regional and Local are still separate. I havent seen it myself though.
My friend was playing last night and said they are separate. It's also been confirmed by someone else in this thread (can't remember who, sorry).

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
:X I accidentally put the wrong state in for the right of passage registration and then went back and resent it... I got two email confirmations so hopefully they don't screw it up. The right zip code is there though!

Londa

Banned
Jinko said:

BTW londa, check this out, might be worth you submitting to them and trying to get your account changed to a new one or corrected.

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/news/detail?newsId=a206296294516a2dafaae30165c3d64487108899

I read everything, but I'm still confused. It seems that everything linked to the account will be removed. But I will get another FFXIV code. Will I also get a new helmet code?

rules by Londaluu, on Flickr

Amneisac

At this point I'd say my priorities would be:

Not wasting my money and actually getting an account that works >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> onion helm.

Londa said:
I read everything, but I'm still confused. It seems that everything linked to the account will be removed. But I will get another FFXIV code. Will I also get a new helmet code?

At this point I would be worried about spending another $75 or $50 and not worry about the helmet.

edit: beaten -_-

notworksafe

Londa said:
I think it is worth asking about the helmet code as well. They will be able to see it is registered to your old account so it shouldn't be an issue.

Of course it shouldn't have been an issue to change a database entry from Guatamala to United States, but Square seems retarded on the whole "being helpful" thing.

Londa

Banned
check out the photo I just posted. Think I should go ahead with it? Just wondering if it will removed my SE members, and beta tester accounts

Salaadin

[Important Update Details]
- An issue wherein objects such as doors could not be displayed properly has been addressed.

- An issue where action bars could not be switched under certain conditions has been addressed.

- An issue whereby the “Sleep” effect caused by sheep monsters’ “lullaby” would not wear off when supposed to has been addressed.

- An issue that caused the remains of Doblyn monsters to persist even after being defeated has been addressed.

- An issue where the text “(Your character’s name) was defeated by (your character’s name)” was displayed when defeated by damage over time effects has been addressed.

- An error caused when selecting clear while trying to mark an NPC has been addressed.

- The time of effect for the crafting ability “Preserve” was incorrect, and has been addressed.

- The craft level and necessary crystals for certain fishing hooks were incorrect, and have been fixed.

- A measure to prevent servers crashing under certain conditions has been implemented.

- Other minor issues have also been addressed.

Amneisac

notworksafe said:
I think it is worth asking about the helmet code as well. They will be able to see it is registered to your old account so it shouldn't be an issue.

Of course it shouldn't have been an issue to change a database entry from Guatamala to United States, but Square seems retarded on the whole "being helpful" thing.

I'm sure there's some kind of funny punchline to all this involving the governor of Arizona, but I just can't put it together.

I hope one of the minor fixes was "that target is already engaged".

notworksafe

Londa said:
check out the photo I just posted. Think I should go ahead with it? Just wondering if it will removed my SE members, and beta tester accounts
You will lose you beta account, so you will have to make a new character name. As far as Members account...not sure. It sounds like your account info will be the same but your old FFXIV stuff will be voided.

It's hard to tell...

Londa said:

What's so important about your beta character? The name?

notworksafe

demosthenes said:
What's so important about your beta character? The name?
Yeah character name is saved by the Beta account. The only other thing is that she would lose all her current FFXIV characters, but since she can't even get in it won't matter.

EDIT: I also think you are SOL for the helmet, since it is tied to the old FFXIV service account and this says you lose everything on that FFXIV account.

Coldsnap

Cathcart said:
Oh snap, I found some millioncorn. Dudes, I have not made insect paste in six years and I still know that recipe. Quick, find me a worm and some water. It is time to get our moat carp on :lol

DUDE I'M TOTALLY DOWN! I really liked fishing in FFXI for some reason, so relaxing. Hope it's good in FFXIV.

Londa

Banned
Cathcart said:
Oh snap, I found some millioncorn. Dudes, I have not made insect paste in six years and I still know that recipe. Quick, find me a worm and some water. It is time to get our moat carp on :lol

:lol oh wow, what if they had something like that moat carp quest again?

jiggle

outside of the in-game item snafu
very happy with the retail version so far
leve seems easier(either that or Conj is >>>>>>>>>>>>> lancer)
skillup and level up is fast again
not one crash so far (knock on wood)
everything just seems to work smoother (still a lot of work left to do)

is there a good guide for crafting?
i've been using YG + loadstone, which is good and all
but would like to see some personal guides/recommendations

Cathcart

jiggle said:
is there a good guide for crafting?
i've been using YG + loadstone, which is good and all
but would like to see some personal guides/recommendations

Keep in mind that nobody knows what the hell is going on with the crafting system, it's all guesswork right now. But here's some notes on things that worked for me in beta and last night in the full game:

For leveling up you mostly just care about progress and getting to 100%. You don't have to make the most awesome willow planks of all time, you just have to make a wooden plank. So rapid synthesis is your best friend. I tend to use it as my default and especially on solid white. Except for the very first try, I tend to start off with standard. I don't know why, I just feel like rapid doesn't work very well for me right off the bat.

For solid yellow I tend to use standard synth and it seems to work pretty well. People also say it's good for bold but I'm not using bold ever right now. Bold is all about quality and I'm not so concerned about quality yet.

When the orb is blinking yellow/white I tend to wait a couple of times hoping for a solid color. Usually I get one after a couple of waits but since each successive wait takes away more and more durability I might just give up and try standard. I figure anything is kind of risky on a blinking orb and standard is the least bad thing to blow up.

If the orb starts to get really sparky or it starts doing the wavy ring around the orb deal I'll also wait a couple of times, then proceed with my usual plan.

This isn't perfect but it's working pretty well for me so far. I did 7 local leves last night and didn't fail any of them, but I did fail a synth or two along the way.

One good tip is to get carpentry and blacksmithing to 10 no matter what your main craft is. The reason being that at rank 10 they each get a really nice trait that you can use for any craft. In fact for this reason I'm eventually trying to get all crafts to 10 so I can have all of those traits, but carpentry and smithing seem to have the best 2 (and you can't even use that many early on anyway).

Edit: other random tips:

Unequip any gear that doesn't have crafting stats on it. Your gear will take durability damage while crafting. But don't forget that stats affect crafting, so it's hard to say exactly what you can unequip sometimes :lol

That said, make sure you keep your stuff repaired. A lot of people seem to think that the durability on your crafting item affects your ability to craft. I'm hoping it only begins to take effect when you get that warning icon, but I have no idea.

Obviously you want support from your guild. Pay for the highest level of support early on, it really helps your success rate. If you are not in the city with a guild, talk to the repair NPC and tell them you want to repair your own gear, they will charge you and give you a good crafting buff. You can also get a buff from the guy at most aetherite crystal camps. From what I can tell it's Third Level Guild Support >>> Repair Guy Support >>> Crystal Camp NPC Support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom