• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

erawsd

I wonder how they'll handle it.

Would be cool if its an interactive event where all chaos breaks out, npcs are going nuts, the sky is red, there's a countdown to a huge explosion followed by the servers going down.

It'll likely just play out in the 2.0 intro though, like WOWs cataclysm.

Ravidrath

Speaking of music and lyrics, I hope the song from the intro (The Land is Alive) makes a comeback in 2.0 - I'd imagine it will, since that seems to have been the event that gave us the Echo, and would make sense for the continuation of the main scenario.

Ravidrath

Who started the Red Dot Zero linkshell? I didn't get to log on for a week, so I got kicked from linkshell.

Nah, you can't actually kick someone when they're offline - the only time people get kicked for inactivity is when we have to reform the shell.

...Who are you in the game, anyway?

You can contact Kyudo Kyohon, Ravidrath Astolph or Eithne Rain for a new pearl.

Sallokin

Hit 30 last night, I need to get my big derpy dumb mount today :3

Yeah, I got my goobbue, but I can't seem to cobble together enough GC seals or whatever they're called for my chocobo. Drives me crazy that the quests I have that pay out huge are ones that nobody really wants to do since they did them ages ago lol. Oh well, the song that plays when riding the goobbue is a great consolation.

Buttons

Buttons wtf unfinished Thyrus but no darklight gloves? That shit wouldn't fly on Neogaf servers!!

A few hundred runs later and I still don't have them. They were either passed to people who now quit or never dropped on all the runs I did. It's a touchy issue lol. :(

Nah, you can't actually kick someone when they're offline - the only time people get kicked for inactivity is when we have to reform the shell.

You can contact Kyudo Kyohon, Ravidrath Astolph or Eithne Rain for a new pearl.

can I ask for a pearl? that's how you join linkshell?

You can contact Kyudo Kyohon, Ravidrath Astolph or Eithne Rain for a new pearl.[/QUO
TE]

my in game name is Troy Vanguard

can someone help me with auction house, do I need to dispatch my retainer to one of the auction house before anybody can see my auction or do I simply need to manage item through retainer and select which items I want to sell for anybody to see my item and buy it?

I tried dispatching my retainer to Uldah and it's full so I'm not sure if my items are actually being sold yet or not.

thanks.

Ala Alba

can someone help me with auction house, do I need to dispatch my retainer to one of the auction house before anybody can see my auction or do I simply need to manage item through retainer and select which items I want to sell for anybody to see my item and buy it?

I tried dispatching my retainer to Uldah and it's full so I'm not sure if my items are actually being sold yet or not.

thanks.

You do need to dispatch them in order for anyone to see what you're offering. Ul'dah's market wards are almost always full, but you can try Limsa and Gridiana's wards. Less people check them, but, well...

thanks.

Another tip for managing your retainers instead of calling them out of the wards (especially if you get into one of the ul'dah wards) you can travel to the ward they are in and talk to them to manage their inventory directly. This way you don't have the possibility of losing your spot and you just need to check on them every now and again so that they don't automatically leave the ward

I bought the CE of this game a WHILE back and finally decided to jump in after the last GW2 beta weekend ended.

I'm currently playing a GLD on Excalibur at the moment and am enjoying things well enough so far. My question is, once 2.0 rolls around, will my current character stay the same or are the changes to the system so drastic that everyone will basically start from square one?

Also, if anyone is playing on Excalibur, please let me know as I'd like to join whatever link shell is currently active there.

Thanks!

Allard

I bought the CE of this game a WHILE back and finally decided to jump in after the last GW2 beta weekend ended.

I'm currently playing a GLD on Excalibur at the moment and am enjoying things well enough so far. My question is, once 2.0 rolls around, will my current character stay the same or are the changes to the system so drastic that everyone will basically start from square one?

Stay the same, the world around you will change and certain functions you had before might be gone (How you level, what abilities you have, how you use them, quests change etc), but your progress you have done leveling classes, your gil, your items, and all the quests and achievements you have done (including the Goobbue mount) will carry over to 2.0.

Everything else seems to be free game for change in 2.0. We know the dated recipes are going to go bye bye in 2.0 due to the nature of the new crafting book, aether nodes will likely need to be retuned again in 2.0 due to them moving around and may serve a different function in 2.0, the old main quest might be dramatically changing in 2.0, all grand company quests as they are now will be gone, primal battles will likely be fairly different although we did get confirmation that at least Ifrit Extreme will still be around as a prerequisite to AF weapons so at least him and Garuda should still be there. Sometime either on or after 1.23 launches this week they are going to put out details of which achievements will be locked away when 2.0 launches.

I haven't played a lot, only lv 14 pgl now, but is it just me, or the main story quest is not very good? I start at Limsa Lominsa, but the main quest basically told me to go to designated places with little combat or dungeons, last place ask me go to a pretty far spot outside town that take 5+ minute of walks just to get there, watch a cutscene, go back to town, another cutscene, than go back again to the previous spot outside of town to watch another cutscenes. no battle involved.

the cutscene is kinda cool, but felt rushed and not polished because most of them lack voices etc. it's also a bit hard to follow the story. I'm not sure who's the main player in this feud, there's the cuda, yshtola, one or two other pirate group, I'm not even sure if sahagin is another pirate group or monster, then there's that evil looking elven guy stealing some horn artifact. it seems interesting, but I'm completely lost following the story. oh and the text are all in piratey accent and make it such a pain to read.

does it get better? right now, I'm just going to play guildleves and grind my character up so I can get to the next story quest.

creid

Finally hit lv30 last night and got my Goobbue. Two questions:

Is there anything else I really need do before 2.0? I was planning on doing most of the story quests first, but now that I hear that they're going to be improved in 2.0 I'll probably wait to do that too. I assume at level 30 I'm not ready for Ifrit.

I had the 'nightmare' before I opened up any of the categories of achievements - did I miss the "Had a Nightmare!" achievement for good?

ZetaEpyon

I hope it'll be around long enough that I can get one.
Currently in Europe on work/vacation, so I haven't been able to level anything up high enough yet...

Allard

I hope it'll be around long enough that I can get one.
Currently in Europe on work/vacation, so I haven't been able to level anything up high enough yet...

Past lettered versions came out anywhere from one week to 3 weeks after patch launched, but since this is the last full patch release before 2.0 I expect the lettered updates to be more precise and elongated to stretch the story and events out while waiting for 2.0 Alpha to start as well as various promotional campaign stops. In other words expect 1.23a drop probably closer to gamescon or right after, almost certainly they will give a weeks heads up telling people once again to get your mount before its too late. The very fact they specified '1.23a' instead of 1.23 by itself lends to the fact the story is going to come out in waves.

Anyways tomorrow should be very interesting, especially from the data miners group. Not many new models or mobs were added in 1.22 besides the Machina and Garuda as the AF weapons were in the data before that point. Basically they have made it very hard for us to see what to expect for the next patch because they really haven't added anything new recently to get us hyped for it like they have in the past.

Ravidrath

Finally hit lv30 last night and got my Goobbue. Two questions:

Is there anything else I really need do before 2.0? I was planning on doing most of the story quests first, but now that I hear that they're going to be improved in 2.0 I'll probably wait to do that too. I assume at level 30 I'm not ready for Ifrit.

I had the 'nightmare' before I opened up any of the categories of achievements - did I miss the "Had a Nightmare!" achievement for good?

All the GC story quests are going away after 2.0, so you should try to get those done.

Allard

not a whole lot of interesting things in this patch. is this the smallest since launch?

There might be more 'live' quest related stuff in the patch we won't see in the patch notes. Plus it looks like a lot of new mobs might be showing up out of no where this patch which should make some of the world more interesting after this patch. But yeah Yoshida confirmed two producer letters ago that most of the staff is on 2.0 now.

Does anyone know if I'd still be eligible for the Legacy program if I bought a 90 day subscription today? I'm trying to find a straight answer online, but can't seem to get a straight story.

Munba

I think most of the content of this patch is spoilerish and cut from the patch notes (remember in this patch there'll be the begin of catastrophe with the 'geological massland' raising from the underground too).

There are some interesting things though, like the 3 new areas (turtleback isle, loke's lie and rivenroad). And some changes about weather in certain zones.

Allard

I think most of the content of this patch is spoilerish and cut from the patch notes (remember in this patch there'll be the begin of catastrophe with the 'geological massland' raising from the underground too).

There are some interesting things though, like the 3 new areas (turtleback isle, loke's lie and rivenroad). And some changes about weather in certain zones.

Two of those new areas are for skirmish, Rivenroad is new though, and probably is a place for the new Legatus battle. Not sure where the weather thing is coming from (although I do expect at some point the skybox will change to something closer to Abyssea style sky with Dalamud getting closer), the only thing the patch notes say is they are correcting a bug where under certain conditions the weather would not display correctly.

But like I said before, the beef of this patch and the subsequent letter patches will be the 'live' transformation of the world. We will get new quests added, old stuff taken away (Goobbue Mount) as the 7th Umbral Era event ratchets up into the eventual server shutdown and we will likely get more 'events' like the imperial invasions, and the change in weather and music to denote a calm before the storm, or desperation at the end about to come etc.

Edit: Lodestone updated the crafting recipe section with the new AF hats and it includes the inventory icons. Outside of maybe Carpenter and Leatherworker they all look very unique and awesome looking. The GSM Turban is actually my second favorite one next to the top hat with a feather WVR one :D.

Ravidrath

The Alchemist's monocle looks pretty awesome. It's like the steampunk equivalent of... that Zilart dude in the CoP storyline.

I wonder if these are really "AF," though? There seems to be a quest associated with each, but it seems weird that you'd need to get your AF crafted by someone of another class.

Allard

The Alchemist's monocle looks pretty awesome. It's like the steampunk equivalent of... that Zilart dude in the CoP storyline.

I wonder if these are really "AF," though? There seems to be a quest associated with each, but it seems weird that you'd need to get your AF crafted by someone of another class.

The visor for Armorer is the same thing we saw in the 2.0 concept art. Maybe "AF" isn't the right word but it certainly the class specific armor they were alluding to several months ago. Plus it makes sense that crafting classes would craft their own stuff, unfortunately BSM, ALC, CUL, and CRP don't dabble in much armor related recipes so other crafts do it instead :(. The rest of the armor probably won't be in game till 2.0. Also the gathering CSE (Class Specific Equip) hats have been in game since Hamlet, the botanist hat looks exactly like the full botanist CSE we saw in recent 2.0 concept art reveal.

Ravidrath

The visor for Armorer is the same thing we saw in the 2.0 concept art. Maybe "AF" isn't the right word but it certainly the class specific armor they were alluding to several months ago. Plus it makes sense that crafting classes would craft their own stuff, unfortunately BSM, ALC, CUL, and CRP don't dabble in much armor related recipes so other crafts do it instead :(. The rest of the armor probably won't be in game till 2.0. Also the gathering CSE (Class Specific Equip) hats have been in game since Hamlet, the botanist hat looks exactly like the full botanist CSE we saw in recent 2.0 concept art reveal.

Yeah, I'm kind of confused by all of this.

Crafting AF for crafting classes is one thing, but having to earn Gathering AF from Hamlet with an insanely low drop rate is entirely something else.

And we'll see what the stats are like on these new pieces... while I expect them to be nice, I would be surprised if they were really "AF-like" with enhancing traits on them, etc. Not to mention that crafting and gathering are both getting major overhauls that would likely make anything they put on these immediately irrelevant in 2.0.

My thought is that these are almost... preview items? Not really AF, but more like CSE hype items - they use the same models the AF will, but are slightly different in color or texture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom