• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allard

That was pretty great. Are you guys just hitting him with everything you have? I haven't done much partying. Is there no need to coordinate weapon skills for bursts and all that like in XI?

Doesn't exist right now in FFXIV, its one of the things semi returning in 2.0 when it was removed early on during FFXIV combat restructuring. Right now combat consists of knowing where you need to be to both survive and deal the most damage by yourself. Combos on melee combat jobs require specific positioning to trigger the full set, like a DRG starts a combo off needing to attack a mob from the back, then to the side for the next ability in the chain. For Archers/Bard you mainly just need to be away from the mob a distance and you can trigger the conditions, then you got stuff where "needs to be attacking you" conditions etc.

In 2.0 Battle Regimen will return in an overhauled form, we don't know the conditions to use it nor how strong it will be, but it sounds like it should add a new dynamic to parties if balanced properly.

Axl

I'd like to join the GAF shell as well! Neban Seldarine, will be on Sunday night, EDT.

Came back to the game about a month ago having not played since launch. Just got archer to 32 while focusing on seeing as much current content as possible before 2.0. The present game is a phenomenal improvement over how it launched. Very excited to see it progress.

Khrno

Does anyone here play on Ragnarok? I moved to that server in April since it was recommended for EU players, but only got back to play now.

Zomba13

If anyone can offer a pearl send a /tell to Zomba Thirteen (or tell me who to send a /tell to).

I came back for the return campaign thing and a little afterwards then lulled again and am now back (I want to try and 'finish' the 1.0 game befoer 2.0 hits). I'm a lvl 30 PGL and looking to try and unlock MNK. I'm in Red Dot (might be 2. I dunno. Can't check atm) but I need an invite to the most recent GAF shell.

Allard

New interview with Yoshida from Chinajoy.

http://www.mmoculture.com/?p=3030

Looks like open beta is 'tentatively' scheduled for January 2013. There will be 2 closed betas, one starting in October, the other starting 'winter'.

Probably the most interesting thing from the interview.

There will be a system where players may cross servers to complete objectives. We will have a strong in-game guide, making sure players know where to go and what activities are there to do once they enter a new map.

Although it probably won't function quite the same way, it sounds sorta similar to how WoW is planning to shard instance there overworld so people from other servers can enter your world. Should be pretty interesting if it all comes together well.

Darryl

Banned
It doesn't sound like we will be able to cross-servers from what I'm reading. It just sounds like we'll be able to pool for instances.

Does anyone here played on Ragnarok? I moved to that server in April since it was recommended for EU players, but only got back to play now.

I do. I mostly do solo and pickup parties. I don't have a linkshell because my schedule is too sporadic ^__^;;;

My name on there is Thousandmaster Springfield.

erawsd

New interview with Yoshida from Chinajoy.

http://www.mmoculture.com/?p=3030

Looks like open beta is 'tentatively' scheduled for January 2013. There will be 2 closed betas, one starting in October, the other starting 'winter'.

Probably the most interesting thing from the interview.

Although it probably won't function quite the same way, it sounds sorta similar to how WoW is planning to shard instance there overworld so people from other servers can enter your world. Should be pretty interesting if it all comes together well.

Hmm.. that means 2.0 probably won't launch until March/April.

Ravidrath

We sure he's not talking about the open beta for the Chinese release?

Because that's a lot later than previous telegraphed, isn't it? PS3 version was supposed to be out in early 2013, a few months after the PC release, I thought.

Mature

I've decided to ignore a lot of that interview. That website seems pretty shady/unprofessional and I question the accuracy of the statements...

You can hear these ships and they're actually pretty loud.

ffxivgame%25202012-07-29%252013-42-46-90.png

So I'm really thinking of getting in FFXIV once 2.0 launches but I was wondering if anyone'e got an experience running the game on a Mac? My wife and I have an iMac and a Macbook Pro respectively, and we wanted to know if how easy is it to work FFXIV with WINE on OSX compared to simply making the game run on a Windows based partition?

Lucis

Got to level 15, this game confuse the crap out of me...
Regret choosing LL as starting city also...

So this Class/Job thing... are jobs just an extension of classes?

I started from THM i know to get BLM I need THM at 30 and PLG at 15 to get the quest for BLM's class item?

Once I get that item do i start BLM at 1 or 30?

How does this class/job thing really work???

Got to level 15, this game confuse the crap out of me...
Regret choosing LL as starting city also...

So this Class/Job thing... are jobs just an extension of classes?

I started from THM i know to get BLM I need THM at 30 and PLG at 15 to get the quest for BLM's class item?

Once I get that item do i start BLM at 1 or 30?

How does this class/job thing really work???

BLM is joined with the THM class. So when THM goes up so does BLM. And iirc, if you level with BLM you level THM (its been awhile for me). Basically by the time you get BLM, when you equip the job it starts off as the same level as your THM is. It starts at 30, it never goes back to level 1.

Mature

After seeing the new Realm Reborn trailer, it seemed necessary to thank and comfort Lousioux for what he will eventually do.

v9eSe.jpg

Ravidrath

So I'm really thinking of getting in FFXIV once 2.0 launches but I was wondering if anyone'e got an experience running the game on a Mac? My wife and I have an iMac and a Macbook Pro respectively, and we wanted to know if how easy is it to work FFXIV with WINE on OSX compared to simply making the game run on a Windows based partition?

I use Bootcamp on my MacBook Pro, and it runs great.

The game did run under Parallels the last time I tried out of curiosity's sake, but would've needed a major settings downgrade to run acceptably.

Darryl

Banned
if i buy the game for $10 now will i get the reborn content?

also, will the game still be cross platform with the ps3?

i don't think they've mentioned much about that first question. i'm sure you'll get access to some of it because otherwise a PR shitstorm would follow. i'm personally speculating that the game is going to launch with an expansion pack to get all of the old subscribers to re-purchase somehow. there's been no official mention or even hint of this, though.

and i'm sure it'll be cross-platform with PS3.

Moobabe

I took the plunge and reinstalled and, after what felt like a bajillion years of patching, I'm done. I went to re-activate my sub only to come across a stumbling block - apparently my account was deleted when I cancelled last time and he CD key I registered was tied to that account...

Have any of you guys has similar issues when re-subbing? Do I just contact SE directly?

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
I took the plunge and reinstalled and, after what felt like a bajillion years of patching, I'm done. I went to re-activate my sub only to come across a stumbling block - apparently my account was deleted when I cancelled last time and he CD key I registered was tied to that account...

Have any of you guys has similar issues when re-subbing? Do I just contact SE directly?

Can you log here?

https://secure.square-enix.com/account/app

Moobabe

Double post:

I don't remember "cancelling" my SE account - though I do remember cancelling my FFXIV subscription.

The problem I have now is the FAQ says that:

After deleting your account, recovery of your Square Enix Account, and all content and services associated with it, will not be possible, so please take caution before performing a cancellation.

So, if my account has been cancelled, I now have a FFXIV disc that's completely useless to me because the CD key has been registered to a cancelled account...

Moobabe

That sucks Moobabe... In any case there is still a low price of 6£ on amazon.uk for FF14 if you want.

It's not that so much - I'd have to wait for delivery and it seems there's no way of getting a key from the SE store or anything to just play now.

PolishQ

It's not that so much - I'd have to wait for delivery and it seems there's no way of getting a key from the SE store or anything to just play now.

I'm a bit clueless about all this, but couldn't you buy the digital download from amazon.com and get the key from that? Or does being in the UK somehow prohibit that?

creid

Eugh, I burned through about 70 Anima just trying to get these Grand Company quests started. Finally did the first few for all 3 GCs. I guess it's going to take a while to get to this new final battle?

Coldsnap

Buttons did you ever get unlucky with Miser for 17min run? We kill where she/he spawns, We can kill her before she moves but last night out of the 3 runs we did the lillys and slugs popped right there, they could pop in 3 different places but of course they popped right on top of us all three times.

Moobabe

I'm a bit clueless about all this, but couldn't you buy the digital download from amazon.com and get the key from that? Or does being in the UK somehow prohibit that?

I could give it a shot, yeah - unless the digital code is significantly more expensive.

Sallokin

Eugh, I burned through about 70 Anima just trying to get these Grand Company quests started. Finally did the first few for all 3 GCs. I guess it's going to take a while to get to this new final battle?

I did the same thing. It's slowly building back up. Once you get a mount of some sort, the trade-off between running versus porting is much more easy to deal with. Which GC do you think you're going align with?

creid

I did the same thing. It's slowly building back up. Once you get a mount of some sort, the trade-off between running versus porting is much more easy to deal with. Which GC do you think you're going align with?
I have my Goobue, but it's still so much slower than warping. I'm thinking I'll probably go with Ul'dah, why?

Coldsnap

I'm just wondering; Why is everyone trying to get the achievments that are going away? I see no reason to do this, you get nothing out of it. Shouldn't people be working on more important stuff?

Sallokin

I have my Goobue, but it's still so much slower than warping. I'm thinking I'll probably go with Ul'dah, why?

I was just curious :p

I'm just wondering; Why is everyone trying to get the achievments that are going away? I see no reason to do this, you get nothing out of it. Shouldn't people be working on more important stuff?

I know I saw some folks talking about wanting to get specific titles and achievement related gear. Maybe that has something to do with it? Not sure if the cheevos that are going away correspond to specific things like that to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom