• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buttons

When do I get to fight this dude?

E9778A608C98F9E4DE9231632C33EC75F2125F8F

Final Grand Company quest. :) It's a fun fight hehe and the cutscenes are amazing.

Nakazato

Had a ridiculously great XP PT tonight with Isamu and Sieg. 45-50 just flew by. Just need to hit Aurum Vale for a piece of my DRG AF, then knock out the final DRG quest for the DRG AF there and I can finally focus on end game stuffs.

Thanks for posting. Some pretty good info there. The wait is getting much harder =)

:) i wish i didnt have dinner ready when you guys were still going but in was only 3k till 50 so it was likely a good thing someone else go invited.Hit me up for your DRG AF fight :3 ill be on soon

Sallokin

:) i wish i didnt have dinner ready when you guys were still going but in was only 3k till 50 so it was likely a good thing someone else go invited.Hit me up for your DRG AF fight :3 ill be on soon

I'll definitely take all the help I can get, and if I remember correctly you're a DRG as well so you'll know more than I will what to expect. I'll be on a little later this evening.

dwix

How careful do you need to be with regards to Attribute Point distribution? I'm not level 10 yet, but for Marauder I assume it makes sense to put points into Strength, Vitality, and Dexterity?

Sallokin

How careful do you need to be with regards to Attribute Point distribution? I'm not level 10 yet, but for Marauder I assume it makes sense to put points into Strength, Vitality, and Dexterity?

There should be guides online. From what I can find it seems that most prefer STR and VIT. As I understand it, you essentially want to pick two of the most effective skills and max those out. For example with DRG, STR and PIE are the two most preferable so at level 50 I have. 23 and 22 points in each of those.

If at some point you feel the need to respec, you should get an item called the keeper's hymn. I think it's a quest reward from one of the lower level quests.

dwix

There should be a guide online. As I understand it, you essentially want to pick two of the most effective skills and max those out. For example with DRG, STR and PIE are the two most preferable so at level 50 I have. 23 and 22 points in each of those.

I've been looking around online and have been struggling to find guides that are current with all the changes that have gone in, but it seems like Eorzeapedia is pretty reliable.

Thank you for the advice though, that helps a lot!

I've been looking around online and have been struggling to find guides that are current with all the changes that have gone in, but it seems like Eorzeapedia is pretty reliable.

Thank you for the advice though, that helps a lot!

Look on the official forums in the jobs discussion there should be guides.

Edit: Well there isn't for MRD/WAR...., anyway, if I'm not wrong the main stats for MRD/WAR is VIT and STR, since I think VIT is the principal dmg modificator, not all professions have STR as the biggest dmg modificator, another example is ARC/BRD which is DEX instead of STR. Think that Earzeapedia may be not updated, since WAR changed in the last patches.

dwix

Look on the official forums in the jobs discussion there should be guides.

Edit: Well there isn't for MRD/WAR...., anyway, if I'm not wrong the main stats for MRD/WAR is VIT and STR, since I think VIT is the principal dmg modificator, not all professions have STR as the biggest dmg modificator, another example is ARC/BRD which is DEX instead of STR. Think that Earzeapedia may be not updated, since WAR changed in the last patches.

Ah, good to know. I'll keep an eye on the official forums. Thanks!

Anyone willing to take bets on when the game will become free-to-play after 2.0 fails to attract any new members? I'm saying it'll happen next spring.

Allard

Anyone willing to take bets on when the game will become free-to-play after 2.0 fails to attract any new members? I'm saying it'll happen next spring.

Yoshida has already said F2P is not on the radar, quite resoundingly even. This is the one MMO I do not expect to change its subscription to free to play in the near future, they can't even come to terms with a permanent discount yet for playing both FFXI and FFXIV. At earliest maybe a year or two after 2.0 release depending on how the game is received.

Yoshida has already said F2P is not on the radar, quite resoundingly even.

It will be. Just give it time. If The Old Republic cannot sustain a pay-to-play subscription model, there's no way XIV can. Seriously, is anyone expecting 2.0 to suddenly change everyone's mind about the game and attract millions of new players? Very unlikely.

Allard

It will be. Just give it time. If The Old Republic cannot sustain a pay-to-play subscription model, there's no way XIV can. Seriously, is anyone expecting 2.0 to suddenly change everyone's mind about the game and attract millions of new players? Very unlikely.

He is not thinking just about subscribers in the NA, the reason he said "No" to Free to play is because of Japan. Unlike the NA where Free to Play has been 'somewhat' embraced, it is consider a stigma of a dying game or a short term/cheap MMO in Japan. You don't make a decision for free to play until you absolutely must give up on the games success for Japanese gaming culture (In otherwords F2P means the game will die if it comes to that point, you should hope it will succeed on a hybrid/lower costing subscription system for now). He also does not like the Free 2 Play models and does not feel it fits this games structure. He said after a "year or so" after launch they might revisit it but for now it is strictly pay to play and will be for the foreseeable future.

Also in my personal opinion, I absolutely HATE F2P and most of its structures. I hate being dimed for content, I hate the very idea of exclusive 'vanity items' being used to keep a game funded when imo all content should be uniform across the board for people to access. I don't like the hybrid models where people who play are often left out of certain functions and thus disenfranchising them from the community till they pay money. I want a game where I get a statement that says "Pay this much and never have to worry about anything, quit when you are not playing" and everyone is on the same page.

gillty

Banned
1. I don't think anyone has stated they are aiming for a million players, let alone a millions (which is completely unreasonable).

2. Console release is in Spring, don't expect F2P then.

3. F2P is considered the deathknell in Japan.

4. As someone who bought TORtanic on release, quite literally the only thing that game had going for it was StarWars and VO. This game has quite a few differentiators from the rest of the market to do okay compared to the wave of WoW clones.

If they are so dead set on avoiding free-to-play, they will likely suffer for it. I doubt 2.0 is going to attract so many new players. I wish them the best of success; afterall, they did shake the game quite a bit since its release. But I don't think it's going to happen. At least not on the level that they are wishing. I guess we'll see soon enough.

Darryl

Banned

TOR was a very mixed received game. I've seen a good critic review or two, but most (95%) of the community feedback that I've seen has been terrible. It blows away all of the bad things that I've heard about FFXIV. I don't think dooming the MMO market because of the failure of that game makes any sense at all.

TOR was a very mixed received game. I've seen a good critic review or two, but most (95%) of the community feedback that I've seen has been terrible. It blows away all of the bad things that I've heard about FFXIV. I don't think dooming the MMO market because of the failure of that game makes any sense at all.

Were you there when FFXIV launched? Critical reception was uniformly scathing. The difference is that FFXIV is re-launching as an entirely new game. However SWTOR's meteoric rise and fall is notable even by MMO standards.

Mature

I find the "F2P or failure" argument to be a little bull-headed and an overly simple argument. There's really no denying it's popularity in recent years, though. The subscription model is becoming dated and it's moving away from being the industry standard, but it's not dead. Not to mention, there's a lot of people with Allard's exact sensibility towards the F2P model. Do people know that the subscription base has doubled since XIV commenced billing again?

Munba

I'ts not necessary to have a F2P model when you have an entire console market and a japan pc/console ground to fill. FF14 is not in competition with GW2 neither. So i think if Reborn will deliver like seems on paper, there is not problem with the normal subscription model (already in action as Mature mentioned).

gatti-man

all ff14 needs is a next gen launch release on consoles and it will have tons of people trying it out. if its solid word of mouth will do the rest.

If they are so dead set on avoiding free-to-play, they will likely suffer for it. I doubt 2.0 is going to attract so many new players. I wish them the best of success; afterall, they did shake the game quite a bit since its release. But I don't think it's going to happen. At least not on the level that they are wishing. I guess we'll see soon enough.

And what might that be?

Speculation about relative success or its chances stacked against the "wishes" or "Expectations" of the publisher is very empty without numbers involved.

Jinko

If that were the case wouldn't FF11 be free to play also ?

Personally I wouldn't play a F2P MMO because they are normally balanced so those with more money get further ahead, whats the point in playing a game like that ?

Comparing it to SWTOR which is basically a single player game with co-op is not the same either.

Darryl

Banned
Were you there when FFXIV launched? Critical reception was uniformly scathing. The difference is that FFXIV is re-launching as an entirely new game. However SWTOR's meteoric rise and fall is notable even by MMO standards.

I was. I'm not really talking about critic reviews, I'm just talking about gossip. FFXIV was came-and-gone pretty much overnight, and the negative criticism that was had about the game was mixed in with hopefulness (like read this reddit page). Within a few days, I couldn't find any more discussions on the game outside of dedicated forums. I really believe the hardest hit to the games launch was just it's core fan-base.

In comparison, the negative press for TOR release lingered for a long time. It was impossible to visit 4chan without seeing a TOR hate thread on the first page for almost two months, and it seemed like a new case of unjustified bannings was making the rounds on gaming news outlets every other day. Some dude banned for saying he was a 12 year old girl, some dude banned for exploring high-level areas, another for cussing in his own private messages.

Comparing it to SWTOR which is basically a single player game with co-op is not the same either.

This is the most stupid thing about Bioware/EA's thought process. They could have just made KOTOR3 for a fraction of what SWTOR cost and they would have easily sold more than 2 million copies on 360, PS3, and PC and made a shitload of money. Instead they made SWTOR. The stupidity of making an MMO instead of a single-player game when everyone WANTED a single-player game boggles the mind.

Bethesda should be paying attention, instead of The Elder Scrolls Online they should be working on TES6. Of course they won't pay attention, and TESO will come out and no one wants a fucking MMO TES title and it will bomb worse than SWTOR which at least had the Star Wars license.

Munba

We would like to take another moment to remind adventurers that the goobbue mount will become unobtainable upon the release of patch 1.23a. Barring any major setbacks, this patch will go live on Tuesday, August 14, 2012.

Take your gobbue before the end of the world beginning!

This is the most stupid thing about Bioware/EA's thought process. They could have just made KOTOR3 for a fraction of what SWTOR cost and they would have easily sold more than 2 million copies on 360, PS3, and PC and made a shitload of money. Instead they made SWTOR. The stupidity of making an MMO instead of a single-player game when everyone WANTED a single-player game boggles the mind.

Bethesda should be paying attention, instead of The Elder Scrolls Online they should be working on TES6. Of course they won't pay attention, and TESO will come out and no one wants a fucking MMO TES title and it will bomb worse than SWTOR which at least had the Star Wars license.

Just to be clear here, Zenimax is developing The Elder Scrolls Online not Bethesda. I might have been mildly interested if it was a first person MMO. Hopefully they don't spend over 300 million dollars creating this and shoving it down everyone's throat like EA did with SWTOR. From what I have seen so far, it does not look good for them.

aett

I haven't kept up with FFXIV much since the reboot started, but I'm definitely going to check it out again after 2.0. Just wondering if they've added jumping into the game yet or if that's not until 2.0 officially hits.

Darte

I haven't kept up with FFXIV much since the reboot started, but I'm definitely going to check it out again after 2.0. Just wondering if they've added jumping into the game yet or if that's not until 2.0 officially hits.

Thats in 2.0. Current game geometry/algorithms can't handle jumping without running into collision problems (as it wasn't made to be jumped on).

aett

Thats in 2.0. Current game geometry/algorithms can't handle jumping without running into collision problems (as it wasn't made to be jumped on).

Okay, thanks. That's just something that was on my mind lately, for some reason!

Sallokin

The subject of jumping came up in the LS the other night and while everyone wants it (myself included), there wasn't really a solid answer given as to why, other than "all other MMOs have it".

Riposte

The subject of jumping came up in the LS the other night and while everyone wants it (myself included), there wasn't really a solid answer given as to why, other than "all other MMOs have it".

Naturally. Jumping is very unimportant outside action games and even then plenty of action games do fine without it (e.g. Demon's Souls). I think there are more creative traversal mechanics they could adopt (ones where you design levels around with more purpose) like climbing or auto-jump points, but people want all the same boxes checked jumping MMO to MMO.

Naturally. Jumping is very unimportant outside action games and even then plenty of action games do fine without it (e.g. Demon's Souls). I think there are more creative traversal mechanics they could adopt (ones where you design levels around with more purpose) like climbing or auto-jump points, but people want all the same boxes checked jumping MMO to MMO.

Jumping is extremely important for keeping you "in" the game. without being able to jump, you feel s tuck to the world, and it draws away from the immersion greatly, at least for me. There are times when you get stuck, or trapped, in certain areas, where it really makes no sense. (for instance, a small ledge) you should be able to jump over it.

Jumping will be in 2.0 anyway, it's in one of the screenshots and I believe they did confirm it?

Allard

Jumping is extremely important for keeping you "in" the game. without being able to jump, you feel s tuck to the world, and it draws away from the immersion greatly, at least for me. There are times when you get stuck, or trapped, in certain areas, where it really makes no sense. (for instance, a small ledge) you should be able to jump over it.

Jumping will be in 2.0 anyway, it's in one of the screenshots and I believe they did confirm it?

Free form Jumping is in 2.0 yes, and yes the reason its getting added is precisely the reason you said it to be. Yoshida actually wants jumping as he finds it a freeing exercise and when done right it allows a player to further immerse themselves in the world even if it doesn't actually have a purpose beyond that. It is currently going to be used mainly as an exploration asset and minimal to no use in combat.

Darryl

Banned

That's the biggest reason that I can see as well, someone else did it and now everyone else is forced into it. I've heard that it makes the game feel more real. I don't see it personally as I rarely jump in real life and I'm sure many others are the same. I see more jumping in WoW in just an hour of gameplay than I do in real life all year. It would be cool if they gave a reason for people to jump so much. I'd love a Xenoblade-style world.

C'mon, no one thought even a single time "why I have to walk that way when I could jump over this edge and have a nice shortcut"

That's why we have jumping, to have more freedom when we explore the world without the need of following rail roads.

Riposte

Jumping does the opposite for me. Characters should feel weighted to the world if the game is aiming for verisimilitude(which XIV is), more so when the game isn't bothering to reflect builds and weight in jump arcs. Some of the most immersive worlds in videogames do not have manual jump: D.Souls, The Witcher 2, Assassin's Creed. That isn't to say I don't want the game have no traversal/platforming mechanics. I think small ledges should be climbed over(or just walked over even, preferably with a speed decrease for going up and increase for going down - which would solidify some basic tactics concerning positioning).

A free jump gives more freedom, but this isn't necessarily a good thing, especially when it otherwise has no effect on the game's main systems. An approach like that is basically limiting how much you can apply it to the game's encounter design while at the same time leaving a lot of room for exploits. With a more limited method of traversal movement the developers will always know how and when players move and thus have more control on their encounters. Speaking for general game design, this in turn allows them to take more risks (which in my mind come in the form of more vertical battles). They've already shown to be completely averse to taking risks with jump. Which is a good thing, because without heavy air combat (a la Bayonetta) or climbing mechanics (a la Dragon's Dogma) jump in combat would turn out to be banal and lame.

Another thing is that jump costs you a button on a controller and I'm already in dire need of more buttons. So now I have a button used up for something that isn't even that important to the game.

I think if they wanted to be creative, they could have made a better set of mechanics (even if it turned out to be a less complex). However they are aiming to meet the expectations of MMO players.

Hello FF14GAF!

I was going through my old FF14 feedback posts to see if I had any good FF14 ideas that I could apply to Diablo 3, and in one of my searches I discovered that all the threads except for one that bears the tag "elitism" was started by me, lol. (other people can add tags to threads).

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/tags.php?tag=elitism

I thought that was cute.

Drop that game and come to FFXIV! We miss you.

So I just hit level 19 last night after starting a new character 12 days ago. What are my chances of getting the Gobbue mount (realistically) before then. In and around Ul'dah, what are the best methods of leveling - should I hit my side missions or just grind out kills in the wild?

So I just hit level 19 last night after starting a new character 12 days ago. What are my chances of getting the Gobbue mount (realistically) before then. In and around Ul'dah, what are the best methods of leveling - should I hit my side missions or just grind out kills in the wild?

Doing leves is probably the best option.

are you on the same server as GAF? I have a 18 or 19 i'd like to level. we could leve share.

ZetaEpyon

Hoping to do the same thing myself, I just went 17 to 21 last night on maybe a dozen solo leves. Make sure to log out in an inn if you can, the rested exp bonus seems to be pretty significant at these levels.

Hoping to do the same thing myself, I just went 17 to 21 last night on maybe a dozen solo leves. Make sure to log out in an inn if you can, the rested exp bonus seems to be pretty significant at these levels.

We should all group if you're on gaf's server. it's seriously quick in a group since you can share leves and basically never stop getting exp.

ZetaEpyon

We should all group if you're on gaf's server. it's seriously quick in a group since you can share leves and basically never stop getting exp.

Yeah, I'm on Sargatanas. I'd be up for this, assuming our time zones line up correctly (US Central time for me). I'll be on tonight probably as well as this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom